Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

^ is the main place for the "Survey xxxx" updates.

The map currently has 3 DAs with survey underway:

* Fintown - (January 2025 - December 2026)

* Trim - (January 2025 - December 2026)

* Templemore - (January 2025 - December 2026)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

As I don't get out much 😏, I wasn't aware of any activity in my area, but earlier this evening I was talking to a friend from the next village over (Kilcommon) and he was saying that there were a load of vans and people all over the area from NBI doing "stuff" over the last few days. One of the "stuff" seemed to be them holding up a long fishing rod type thing.

Would this be "Surveying"?

Actually just checked the map and the "Hollyford" area is now "Survey complete". 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

NBI van on my lane yesterday morning, spoke to the guy and he said he was looking to see where poles could be installed. NBI site says pending survey with anticipated date for connection: Jan 25 - Dec 26 so I'm not holding my breath but it was nice to see something happening finally. I'm between Athlone and Roscommon but he said there is a big push on around Ballinasloe at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No idea, but I got no notification that in aware of and they surveyed around our way last week. Amazed to see vans there with guys out height checking etc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I got a printed brochure in the post box yesterday talking about the product - I'm currently in the "network build underway" phase and it's due to be ready to connect in Jan-Mar next year - Kilkishen area , County Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Asterion, a Madrid infrastructure investor, has bought an 80% stake in National Broadband Ireland (NBI) from Oak Hill Advisors, Twin Point Capital and some minority shareholders.

McCourt’s Granahan McCourt Capital will continue to own 6% of NBI. Tetrad, another existing shareholder, will keep its 13%, with NBI management owning the 1% balance.

NBI provides wholesale services to three of the main operators in Ireland, Comcast’s Sky, Liberty Global’s Virgin Media, and Vodafone.

What kind of wholesale services would they provide these companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

So my install date was supposed to be today cancelled due to my son isolating in the house. Looking back now I should have said nothing and put him in the shed for the day :)

The FTTH wholesale product for Sky and Vodafone, and I wasn't aware that Virgin would be selling FTTH on NBI's network, but if they're to expand beyond the cities/towns, then that would make a lot of sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

How long from survey to connection normally?

There's no normal timeframe @mossie The NBI estimates for connection when you check your Eircode are always the best guidance, and even they change. FWIW, It was July 2020 when the first NBI crews surveyed my area, and we ended up being connected at the end of March this year, so in my case it was 20 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

See post 5648. 22 months in my case, although won't be connected for another 10 days (hopefully).

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119316834/#Comment_119316834

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

A family members house is now at Survey Complete but showing as 2025-2026 timeline. Frustrating to see it as Survey Complete but still 2025-2026. NBI are at Network Build in Progress less than 2KM away for the DA expected to go live in Q4 this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

I got an email today saying "survey complete" giving an estimate of July to December 2024 for installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Got the Update email today. Survey Complete. Expected Date Jan2025 - Dec 2026.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MunsterM

I got the "survey complete" email today also. The estimated connection date is now July 2024 to Dec 2024. Previous estimate was sometime in 2023. ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stephen.dunne

How long are NBI taking to reply to email queries ? I emailed them just over 7 days ago with no reply as of yet regarding tree pruning

I was in contact with them a short while ago and they were very prompt. I got a few replies on the same day.

I used the address contactus@nbi.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

I emailed them last friday week and still waiting on a reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

I went pre-order today in East Cork.

Couple of questions:

How long from pre-order does it usually take to get connected (roughly)?

Eir are 'coming soon' and not available right now. My parents are in a contract with Eir for their landline and ADSL (2meg). Will Eir become available soon enough or would it be quicker to order with a currently available reseller?

• Advertisement

ready to connect in Cobh from today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Took 10 months to go from 'Pre-order' to 'order' stage in a part of rural Mayo (Outside Castlebar).

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

3 months on average. Bear in mind that:

1. Some providers aren't available at all until you go Ready to Connect (in my area that included Sky for example)
    2. Even if you waited until you went Ready to Connect, it shouldn't take longer than 2 weeks for you to get connected (although certain providers had longer wait times than others, again Sky and maybe others.).

There's not a whole lot of benefit to ordering at pre-order time (although occasionally certain ISPs will offer a discount if you pre-order).

went ready to order to ready to connect in about a month here in Cobh , if you ring Eir , they will take your order

Some website tweaks today

https://nbi.ie/order-now/?serviceLocation=<EIRCODE>

They now include the website and contact number as well as direct-dial URIs on the NBI page instead of you having to click through. Speeds up the process of comparing providers by phone I suppose!

December 2021: My EirCode has moved to "Available for pre-order".

July 2022: My EirCode has moved to "Ready to Connect". - That's 6 months in "Pre Order"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Similar for me, also in West Wicklow. Preorder was Dec, but install date is tomorrow (KN Networks confirmed). I'm remaining suitably pessimistic that it'll actually complete then. Definite tree branches in between the pole and house so I'm sure I'll run into the chainsawless tree surgeon.

There's technically a duct set up by the previous owner, but the existing (currently unused) phone wire hangs loosely down from the pole on the road at the corner of the property, under the tree branch line at which point it is stapled to the garden wall, which it runs along a bit, then comes in a bit towards the house via being stapled to a tree, then down into what seems to be a home made duct using a bit of pipe (entrance of duct is covered by an upturned plastic bottle), under the driveway and path, then up the wall and into the attic. Doubt KN are going to go that route...

Post edited by Blowfish on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

It might, but as mentioned would need tree trimming. Anyways installer came bright and early and confirmed it, 'duct' is an obvious no go, he needs to get someone with a hoist over to trim the trees which will just about give the angle to get to the gable of the house from the pole. Installer wants to get it done to day, but is dependent on the hoist person who has 2 other jobs about 40 mins away to get done first.

• Advertisement

Just got a confirmation email from NBI that my installation date is the 29th July , the date I was given when I pre ordered on the 18th of June , hopefully they bring a hoist as there has been a lot of growth between the pole on my property and the DP .

Advertisement