Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Oh I'm sure they'll send out a new 7530. Couldn't say if Digiweb would discount users who don't want a new 7530. I didn't even use mine in the end, as I had an Asus router already

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭creedp

I'm wondering if ISPs will stop offering free routers to switchers. If not, in a few years there will be sheds full of routers lying idle all round the country.

As a matter of interest how long should a router be expected to last before it results in reduced performance? Last year my current ISP advised me to replace my 4 year old router because it may have been contributing to poor WiFi performance. Was this up selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

From 'ready to connect', how long have you guys waited before getting connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

The ones the networks send out are always advancing to be fair. Eir used to send out the F2000 about 3-4 years ago which is a desperate piece of kit. The F3000 wouldhave better range, stability etc. Vodafone would have had the HG659c a few years ago(the white modem) and now have the Gigabox. Gigabox has more features and in my own experience is far more reliable too but many here have had mixed experiences with the Gigabox....

• Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

I moved to a new house in a town and could only get 50mbps download so I decided to go with Digiweb. They were sending out a Fritzbox 7430 which I didn't want as its single band so I told them I will sign up if they send out the 7530 so the sales lad said he will send that one out. The post arrived and in the box was a second hand 7430 with marks on it. KN arrived to install and said id be up and running in about an hour. several hours later still no internet rang Digiweb to get it sorted and they said it was the KN guys problem after 2 days of tech support from Digiweb we finally figured it out as the 7430 was refurbished the VLAN setting of 10 was missing. after 13 days no 7530 router arrived so I cancelled with the 14 days notice. I don't know how ye guys are getting the 7530 no way they would send it out to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

Our area was pushed back and pushed back time and time again. Originally our go live date was May 2021 but that has now gone to Jan-June 2024. Recently NBI plastic tubing appeared on lots of the poles outside our estate and then today black cable appeared coming out of these tubes.

Does anybody know if this is standard so far out from a go live date, or could it be possible the the website is wrong and our progress is much further along than what it is showing?

Post edited by Donutz on

Your area should at least currently be showing "Network build in progress". But in terms of go-live date, I wouldn't be getting my hopes up. I have a suspicion that NBI have switched to under-promise and over-deliver in terms of connection timelines, but only time will tell. What deployment area are you in?

Is it the NBI network that Digiweb are using for your connection? Digiweb offer NBI,Siro, and OpenEir FTTH.

Do you know which package you had? They may have sent you the 7430 if you chose one of the 150mbps packages, as the 7530 would offer you no benefit practically (the 7430 wouldn't be max-ed out on the wifi side of things with a 150mbps internet connection as it's rated to 450mbps - https://digiweb.ie/fritzbox-7430/)

We are in the Hospital DA in Limerick.

Funnily enough, Newport which is a neighbouring DA is at the survey planned stage, but has a go live date a year earlier than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I'm in the Newport Tipp DA, I noticed the recent change to the map a few days ago and got very excited to see our DA on the deployment map with an anticipated date for connection: July 2023 - December 2023, from Jan '25 - Dec '26 previously. Your Hospital DA date is January 2024 - June 2024, has this date changed recently?.

But my excitement was quickly dampened when I checked the county data for the DA, the Newport DA straddles both Limerick and Tipperary, the rollout date is still January 2025 - December 2026. Also the the eircode checker is still January 2025 - December 2026.

That may be an error for our DA or maybe Kieran O'Donnell, one of our local TDs in the constituency, that encroaches into the Newport area of Tipperary and is chair of the Oireachtas Transport and Communications committee which has NBI before it on a fairly regular basis has in someway influenced the change. Right now based the the other data it appears to be an error.

• Advertisement

Our DA changed in the last update. It was previously June 23 to August 23.

There's a flurry of activity happening in my estate right now. NBI crews lifting manholes and checking ducts. Hopefully it will be here sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

Its FTTC 50meg max Eir line but still sending out a second hand single band router in 2022 doesn't add up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

"or maybe Kieran O'Donnell, one of our local TDs in the constituency, that encroaches into the Newport area of Tipperary and is chair of the Oireachtas Transport and Communications committee which has NBI before it on a fairly regular basis has in someway influenced the change."

Shocked; shocked I tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

We finally have a connection date of Sept 16th, they are going to send someone out to survey beforehand so hopefully all goes smoothly. I was beginning to worry as I’ve noticed that nearby houses in two directions that were still on the pre-order stage with a date of July-August have been pushed back to Feb-March 23, more delays for parts of the Carrigaline DA rollout. I would love to hear why it’s taken so long, it was due to be the first DA completed in Nov 20-Feb 21 but still ongoing all this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davpower

Fibre still not working over two weeks since installation and NBI are still unable to tell me when the issue will be fixed or even if they are working on it, other than to say its been passed to the build team. They not even sticking to their own Wholesale Bitstream & VUA Products Service Level Agreement which states that 100% of faults will be fixed within 10 working days. The lack of communication from Vodafone and NBI is disappointing to say the least. Can't help but feel that NBI can now report the premises passed to the next Dail committee and they'll just move on to the next DA. whether the fibre is actually working or not! Hopefully I'm wrong, has anyone else experienced a first day fault and how long did it take to fix?

Post edited by davpower on

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

I think you said before that you are in Fedamore. It seems that Fedamore may have been moved into the Adare DA which is currently being built with a due date of March to May next year.

Are there any tags on that plastic ducting that you saw? Something like NBI/ADR would confirm that you are in the Adare DA, though the fact that they are running cable at this stage means it is highly likely that you are.

Yes I'm in Fedamore. If we have been moved to Adare, it's the second time we've been moved. Not complaining though if it means we get connected a little bit faster.

There is no indication on the plastic ducting. I'll try upload photos of it.

The ID will be on a separate tag attached to the ducting or cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Red Thunder

I am located near Jack Meades pub in Co.Waterford and the NBI site has just reported that I have gone into pre order stage.

I am currently with Sky for broadband and TV and have no issues dealing with them, not sure how long I will be in pre order stage.

I am contemplating going with thw 1GB fibre package but I have just noticed that Sky has an average of 30Mb/s with their upload speeds and I see other providers provide up to 100Mb/s upload.

I would like to know what other people are experiencing with Sky Ultrafast Max for their upload speeds, and if I should let it be a dealbreaker or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 banjostring

Hi All - I’ve a question regarding the fibre install process that some of you may be able to answer and help me to pre address some potential future install problems.

So my current copper line comes into the House through an underground duct from the nearest pole. The copper then terminates in a little cabinet recessed into the gable on the house. From this cabinet it is connected to a CAT5 cable in a little black junction box and the CAT5 then runs into a press in my utility and into my my Eir phone point which feeds my current router. I’d like my fibre router to be located in this same location, but will CAT5 carry a fibre signal to my new router ? I don’t think they will be able to run the new fibre cable along the same hidden path as from memory it’s not in a conduit.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Phil

• Advertisement

The fibre cable terminates at an ONT inside the house, from there you can run ethernet cable to a router located anywhere in the house. The ONT requires a power socket nearby.

The rules say they will locate the ONT 1m from the entry point to the house, but generally they're flexible, discuss it with the installer on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭snapper365

I'm not sure where you are seeing those Sky average upload speeds?

In my experience to date, NBI connections are pretty consistent with what they deliver, regardless of the ISP.

The 500Mb product appears to be overprovisioned by around 10%, so delivers around 550 download and 55 upload. This is what I'm on and it's been bulletproof since day 1 in July 2021, across 2 different ISPs.

I don't have direct experience of it, but from reading on here it seems the 1Gb product delivers around 950 download and 100 upload.

The Cush has given a bit of detail about where they will install the ONT, but to answer your question directly, using your existing Cat 5 cable would probably work.

It's hard to advise without knowing a bit more about your setup. It's unclear from what you say exactly how the Cat 5 terminates in your home - you mention a junction box and an Eir phone point so I am not sure how these might interfere. Ideally you just need to run an ethernet cable from the ONT to the router, regardless of locations. Is it possible to replace the Cat 5 cable with Cat 6 or 7? That would future proof you for up to 10Gbps.

Bear in mind that Cat 5 is limited to 100Mbps, so you would be restricting your FTTH connection significantly if you were to install the ONT in the cabinet and use the existing cabling from there. That's assuming it's possible to install the ONT in the cabinet (i.e. is there enough space/a suitable power socket).

I haven't ever heard of them installing the ONT in ETU. The space is very limited within the box to install the ONT, power socket and ODP (if they still install them).

Add to that the ONT in the ETU will be exposed to a damp environment, I assume it's not rated for that.

You could be right - it depends on the exact nature of the cabinet. The poster didn't specify that it's an ETU (although it does sound like one). If so then I would agree that it's unlikely to be suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭creedp

I've a similar set up and waiting for installer to call out to discuss. In my case the fibre cable would terminate in the ETU and I would drill through to room inside and install the ONT. I would then connect to cat5e cable in ETU which would bring broadband to cabinet in attic where router and all other cat5e cables are terminated.

Ive the same concern re future proofing as cat5e is limited to 1gb and, while fine for the present, may not be fast enough for future upgrades.

My alternative option is to bring the fibre overhead from pole and drill through wall into attice where cabinet is located. This would be a less complicated option and would be future proofed. The only downside is having am overhead cable attached to house which I would prefer to avoid

Thanks for that Snapper & Cush. After double checking, I actually have CAT5E which I think can support speeds of up to 1000 mbps (please correct me if I’m wrong guys?). To clarify, where my copper line terminates in the ETU it is then connected to a CAT5E (via the little junction box I mention) and that same cable actually becomes my main phone line in and gives my router broadband. I’d like to maintain the exact same set up I have now as it’s really neat and tidy and if I can keep it as is the new ONT will be beside my network switch etc. I’m trying to establish if my connection would be depleted as the new ONT would actually be getting fed by the CAT5E as opposed to the fibre line that the supplier will run in.

its confusing stuff, but the annoying thing is that they aren’t able to tell me if this is ok over the phone and won’t send “An Engineer” out to clarify until install day when I will probably be told there is an issue 😂.

Thanks guys, great little thread with lots of god info 👍🏻👍🏻

Yes creedp it sounds like you & I have very similar set ups. I thought when I built this House I had all the bloody boxes ticked 😂😂

The ONT can only be connected to the incoming fibre cable, the ONT then converts the optical signal to an electrical signal that can be carried by the ethernet cable.

The existing setup is either ADSL or VDSL, using a single pair in the ethernet cable, instead of a plain old telephone cable, to a telephone/adsl-vdsl socket and from there to the router, all electric.

The output of the ONT is the only place you can attach the ethernet cable.

If you reuse the ethernet cable from the ETU to the utility for the ONT output you will lose the analogue telephone connection. In this case there may be an option to transfer your telephone to VoIP (voice over broadband basically), connecting your telephone to the phone connection on the router. The telephone/internet socket becomes redundant in this case.

Post edited by The Cush on

• Advertisement

Thank you Cush. I think you’ve answered my question i.e. - I need to establish how I can get the new fibre cable from my ETU to my utility, it’s possible but just a bit of a pain in the arse tbh !

Thanks for sharing the info, much appreciated 👍🏻👍🏻 !

Phil.

Advertisement