Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

each DP has 8 x fibre ports.

1 x eircode is assigned to each port at design stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

I'm guessing the pre-assigned DPs are just optimizing the placement of where existing houses are vs where there may be future houses. It's actually a mind-boggling problem if you think about it. I'd love to know of the DP's they're actually deploying what percentage of the ports would be used if all 500k premises uptook a fibre connection. How much over-provisioning of DPs is being done, etc.

Our own DP run is something similar. We have a DP on either side of our entrance, one is 50m to the left, the other is about 150m to the right. Our pre-assigned DP was the one further away. I suspect the DP to the is going to be left there exclusively for houses that don't currently exist. Would love to know how those decisions are made.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sligoboy21

Hi Cush, thanks for reply.

Is the main fibre line on the road overhead on a pole or underground in ducting/chamber?

Its on pole about 150 yards at bottom of my road. Problem is though I dont know where duct ends at road from ETU

That could indicate a daisy-chain loop. Are the sockets with the 2 cables both wired into the back of the socket?

the sockets in bedroom and kitchen have 2 cat5e cables with light blue and dark blue wires from both cables wired to the socket, the other various colour wires from both cables are taped up. the socket beside front door has one cat5e cable wired to socket but il have to double check if all wires are connected to socket. I can take pictures when i get home if that helps. House is about 12 years old. Its also 1 and 1/2 storey so cant see down cavity from attic to where cable runs from ETU

I dont mind if i cant use cable in ETU but then how to i get fiber cable from there to where i want router set up? Will they bring cable out of that box up outside wall into attic? If that was the case could I get them to set up the ONT in attic as there is power supply up there and then bring a cable from there to router? If ONT cant be left in attic, will I have to get new entry point into house eg. drill hole? If they can use cable in ETU where does the ONT go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Our DP has 4 houses connected and no more houses to connect from it , I know some people are not having the best experience with KN but they seem to be very helpful in my area .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Looks like the ethernet cable in the ETU is daisy-chained from one socket to another, not the best for distributing the wired output of the router but could be done.

The end of the duct could've been buried during landscaping etc., might require some digging to find it.

Regarding the main fibre run, is this 150m down a public road from your site boundary or 150m from your house to the site boundary? Spacing between poles is about 50m. Would an overhead run of fibre cable from a pole to gable-end be an option for you instead of ducting it?

There is a rule they won't enter the attic to run the fibre or install the ONT, but this can depend on the installer, but best to plan that they won't.

• Advertisement

Yes the pole is 150m approximately down public road from my gate and gate is about 15m from ETU. Cable from pole to gable will be ok too its just there is a room in middle of house I would prefer to have ont and router placed but getting fiber cable there mite not be option. If I was to get fiber cable to house in one room do I have to have router beside it?

Any poles already in place on the 150m run to the gate, if not 2 or 3 new poles will be required.

The router can be located away from the ONT and there is an option when ordering for them to run ethernet cable up to 30m from the ONT on install day iirc , has to be ordered in advance according to the docs to allow for scheduling other appointments.

Ok Well their coming Wednesday to install but I will require poles as there is new. Is is good or bad if they bring from pole to gable or is duct better? I can't have Ethernet cable running around house wife would cut it cos it looks bad.... il have to discuss options wen they come

sorry another stupid question but how big is the ont and is it plugged into socket or hardwired?

There should be pics of the ONT back in the thread, showing its size.

It's plugged into a socket.

• Advertisement

The ONT including the cradle (covers the wires) is 24cm tall by 13cm wide.

If you take the ONT out of the cradle, its 13.5cm tall by 13cm wide.

Did you bring fiber cable from ENT and I'd so is it far from that area you have ont

He posted some pics a few posts up of the cable running from the ETU.

I'm going with vodafone does anyone know if their router is good with wifi? I'm using haweui b525 at the moment but the wifi isn't great. I'm goin to place the ont in centre of house on ground floor with reuter beside it. But its in small room with concrete walls. That's hoping the kn lads bring the fiber cable to there. No attic just straight into utility room t back of house and into room beside it.

Good with Wi-Fi? Wireless ranges have been reducing as we move to faster 5Ghz frequencies with less coverage. Wi-Fi isn't some magic sh1t that goes through walls and obstacles, put some thought into where it's going, if possible it should be central and exposed, not hidden away in a small room surrounded by walls. Many disable wireless completely and add their own access points or mesh in better locations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Closing it in a small concrete room is a bad start, but overall depeneds on the size of your house. Your 5ghz wifi will probably deteriorate and thats the one that will gove you best speeds.

Wired access points is the way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davpower

Anyone else in Midleton DA have a red fault light on the ont? Its been on all day, tried turning off and on the ont.

From the Irish Times earlier this week

Is there still a need for a €2.9bn State intervention in the National Broadband Plan

Advances in rural broadband, including Elon Musk’s Starlink which covers the entire State, threaten the basis for the State-subsidised scheme

Your man, O'Dwyer of the SBP, has gone quiet of late on the "National Broadband Plan is bad" front, but this week the Irish Times took up the baton. One sided article with none of the positives of the NBP.

Basically the article is saying now that the commercial operators are encroaching into the intervention areas, and Imagine can offer up to 150 Mbps and Comreg says they're brilliant for doing that using wireless technology that can offer 1 Gbps somewhere in Europe/USA, and Elon's Starlink can offer double the speeds of some average speed back in 2021; lets question the need for this plan at all.

How do these options threaten the basis for the state-subsidised scheme? An up to 2 Gbps future-proofed fibre connection available to every home, outside a commercially viable area, that wants it vs. an up to 150 Mbps contended wireless connection or an expensive sub-500 Mbps satellite connection

I assume Tim O'Brien and Peter O'Dwyer have decent broadband connections to their homes and don't have to rely on the options in the article.

Enough said, good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Starlink is a great option for some but there are already reports of speeds not being quite as good as they were now they have more users and there are areas in the US where they will not take on new users to protect capacity for existing users. Anyone suggesting it as an alternative to the NBP is clearly not well informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭EarWig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭creedp

Just a quick question regarding accessing WiFi on VF Gigabox. For last week I'd no problem connecting to the Gigabox WiFi or via other access points connected by Ethernet cables.

Today I logged into Gigabox website to update WiFi password as the std one is a bloody pain. However since I changes the password I can no longer connect to the Gigabox WiFi on my laptop (can continue to do so using APs) but can on my phone. Can anyone advise what might have caused this?

Also on the WiFi settings of the Gigabox website I am getting the message that 'Super WIFI is running your WiFi settings. Please use the Super WiFi tile in the Vodafone Gigabox App to manage your settings'.

However I am not using Vodafone Super WiFi so wondering how I can deactivate this in case its causing a problem accessing WiFi.

Also the status report is showing Lan Port 1 at 100mbps, while Lan Port 2 is at 1000mbps. Lan 1 is connected to a TP-Link AP via a Cat 5e cable. Just wondering what determines the speed reported for each Lan?

Finally is there any way to avoid being continually logged out of the Gigabox website. Its a real pain to have to continuously reenter login details when in the site.

Sorry if this is not the most appropriate thread for these queries.

Are the Gigabox and APs all using the same SSID/Password after the Gigabox Wifi password change? The APs won't automatically get new passwords from the Gigabox unless they're some Gigabox-aware Vodafone-branded APs.

With regards to the LAN speed, it's auto-negotiated between the Gigabox and whatever is using the LAN port. I'd check the rated port speed of the TP-Link AP device (check the model number and rated port speed). If the TP-Link port speed is rated at 1gbps, then it's likely an issues with either the cable itself or the length of the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Quality of the cable and the interface speed of the ap interface card are the most likely reason for your port to be at 100mb

What's confusing me is that everything is working as before except for the laptop accessing WiFi directly from Gigabox. That is all APs are connecting to Gigabox and laptops phones are picking up WiFi from APs. More confusing to me is that my phone continues to access WiFi directly from Gigabox (needed to input new password initially) but the laptop can't access WiFi directly from Gigabox since password change. I can see the WiFi option but when I click on link I get the message can't access the service. Why would it only be the laptop that is affecteded by the password change?

Anything trying to connect to the Gigabox since the password change won't be able to connect unless you update the Gigabox Wifi Password on each device. You'll need to "Forget" the Gigabox Wifi connection on your laptop and re-create it (or just update the password).

The APs are connected to the Gigabox because it's a Wifi password you changed and from your earlier comments the APs are connected to the Gigabox via cable (so not using Wifi, and therefore not affected by password change)

@heavydawson

Thanks for that. I'd forgotten to forget and start again😔 as I didn't have to do it on the mobile, just had to enter new password and it connected fine.

Sorry for all the silly questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cregmon

On the issue of running the fibre cable to the best location, are there published specs for the cables being used by NBI? The NBI trucks are at the top of our road again today doing pole & ground works before cable pulling starts, so I was looking at my own ETU this morning to check access routes.

The eircom line comes up through a 2" pipe inside an external wall which is then connected to a regular Cat5e line that disappears off into the cavity. It somehow finds its way to my small office space where the official termination unit's located. We can't drill though directly where the ETU is located, since there are kitchen cabinets installed on the other side of the cavity. My plan is to install some flush ducting to route the new cable up to a nearby soffit where it can run along towards the office and go though at that point. There would be one 90' bend going that way but if necessary I can design it out.

You don't strictly need any conduit. I ran the cable straight up the wall from the ETU into the attic and down into the room where I wanted the ONT.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

Any one else have issues porting their number over from current provider after the NBI has finished completion?? Tried to get in laws moved over to Vodafone through the NBI portal, all aligned, agreed, email received, etc. etc. need to keep the number as it's 25-30 years old and its how they are contacted. Got a call today saying Imagine won't release the number so can't keep it....anyone else have that issue?? I didn't think they could do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Got connected a few weeks ago a big thank you to westnet paul the rep on here who I plagued for the last number of yrs with questions and updates.

Advertisement