Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

There's no accounting for taste.

ComReg's RedC survey on intended technology choices for those currently without broadband (May 2022).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This is part of a set of questions where the previous question asked "Do you intended to get Broadband in the next 12 months?" .

Only those that said "yes" got the above question and the question afterwards asked "Is the Broadband you are looking for currently available?"

73% answered yes to that latter question , so for a large chunk of the 39% said said "phone line" it's the only thing available for them right now rather than it being a specific preference per-se.

For those that already had broadband , Fibre features much more strongly

And , coming as no surprise - The better your broadband service , the more likely you are to use it. Especially for things that require more bandwidth like Streaming or remote working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

I signed up for a 1gb NBI connection with Digiweb and was connected on Friday. The engineer tested the line and got 924mb download and around 600mb down over WiFi using an app on my iPhone.

Since then the speed has dropped considerably to around 100mb down and 100mb up. This is via Wifi measured around 1 meter from the Fritzbox. I tried turning off and on the Fritzbox and this improved the speed back up to around 600mb down but after 30 mins or so it again drops back to 100mb. I have tried this a few times and the same thing happens every time.

Given that I don't have a port on either my laptop or tablet to get a direct connection, have you any suggestions I could initially try to improve the wifi speed?

I can probably get the loan of a different Fritzbox that a friend has who is also connected with DigiWeb but it's via OpenEir. Would this work on my line or is it linked to an account?

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

What wifi network are you connected to, is it the 5ghz or 2ghz ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

No idea. It was just switched on out of the box and that was that! What should it be connected to? How do I find out?

I am at work at the moment but can try messing with it later. Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

73% answered yes to that latter question , so for a large chunk of the 39% said said "phone line" it's the only thing available for them right now rather than it being a specific preference per-se.

I don't think you can draw that inference because it's not clear if they (the 39%) looked for FTTP/FTTH. And it's not clear if they know the speed limitations of FTTC or if there were extra costs of installation associated with FTTP/FTTH that were dissuasive at the time - May 2022.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's probably fair and indeed some may have interpreted it as meaning that choosing "Telephone" was a requirement to have a home phone line.

The level of knowledge of the person answering the survey can't be assumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

You probably have 2 wifi networks you can connect to, one will say 2ghz or 5ghz, the 5gz will give you best throughout but less coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

Just tried to upgrade my broadband to NBI fibre through Sky and they told me at the moment there are no deals going for the 1000Mbps package and i'd have to pay the full price of €70 a month...the 500Mbps package they offered me is €40 and month. I only switched from Vodafone last October so I've a while to wait before i can switch again.

Anyone else have problems trying to upgrade through sky?

I've an installation date for the 31st January so i'm happy with that at least! The long wait is almost over!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

I was on to them yesterday as we have just gone to Pre-Order stage on NBI, I am with Sky 11 years but never had broadband with them, he offered me 500mb for €35 or 1GB for €45. So I've signed up for the 1GB but expected installation date is 6th of April!!! So probably the deal I got was for first time connection maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Yes, I was offered the same last August as a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Lots of work going on around my area (scheduled to be available Jan-Jun 2024). My house is around 150M back from the road. The house used to have a landline but we've never used it since we moved in, not sure where it is run from the road. What are the options from NBI to get the fibre from the road to the house - are there allowances for ducting or poles or is it completely up to the customer? I think I read somewhere that they cover a certain cost for this work - anyone in here done something similar to get it installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The USO is €5,000. Sounds like a lot but when you consider a pole is in the region of €600 ...

Is the existing line underground to the house? Ducted or unducted? Poles on the road or underground chamber?

150m from the road could require 2 poles or more depending on where the nearest pole is.

I believe the NBI survey will have allocated you an overhead or underground connection, but if not they will have to do an additional survey.

Ah cool thanks. I'm really not sure if there is any duct there at all, it looks like the landline was done in a pig in a poke way 20 years ago so it'll be interesting to see what the person doing the survey thinks, hopefully they'll knock on the door when they are around to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

I've seen Defusion Utility Services surveying poles the last few days in the Bailieborough DA near Virginia, which is still down as survey pending on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Apologies if already discussed. I'm now in the lucky group of ready to connect. I've ordered and engineer is due 1st Feb. Query is this. Overhead cable is not an option as it's a bungalow.. underground would entail a 30 metre run with prob half of that being tarmac. What/how are they installing in situations like mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Overhead cable is fine with bungalow surely? If the pole is the other side of the road they can put a pole on your side.

Depends on the topography , for example my house is on a hill above the level of the roadway so despite being a bungalow an overhead cable would not work, as the cable would only be 7 or 8 feet off the ground in places so I have ducting running under my driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

then surly a pole can go between the road and the house (or even past the house on higher ground)

I think though every house is different and undergorund is of course ideal, but poster mentioned he had tarmac. I dont think bungalow definately means overhead cable is out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Don't suppose anyone listened in on this? I assume its the same old waffle/PR spin but there's always that hope its something a bit more substantial.

EDIT: Found the recording https://galwaybayfm.ie/podcasts/galway-talks-with-keith-finnegan-thursday-26th-january-2023-9am-12pm/ second section and it starts at 25 minutes or so.

Its actually a little more interesting than I thought.

The reiterated project completion by end of 2026

Interestingly they also said it took 3 years to get 30% done in Galway and think they said tomorrow there is an official announcement for Galway that they aim hit that same target again but within 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Anyone seeing issues tonight? I'm on NBI with Digiweb, and speeds have dropped from a usually reliable 1gbps to this:

It's worse again when checking against a Speedtest endpoint hosted by Digiweb themselves:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Merry Deal

Avoid Eir Fibre Broadband like the plague.It has been a horrendous experience for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Merry Deal

Keep away from Eir Fibre Broadband.Most dreadful service that I have ever experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭akasudonim

Almost everything Eir I've experienced has been crap, bar gomo - that's been great for €10pm for family mobiles...

At long last fibre available to us - Vodafone called to the door today and quoted 500Mb for 35pm.. they will use existing duct for old landline, no install fee, 12mt contract. How have any VF subscribers here found their service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Been with VF for 10 months & they have been fine. Haven't had any problems since installed. I got the 500mb for €30 pm for 12 months with free install. Their offer when I signed up was €35 pm with €50 installation fee but with a bit of haggling I got them to drop the price to €30 pm & zero installation fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭akasudonim

Thanks! Jeez I haggle for nearly everything and didn't think to try with these lads!

Can add TV, incl. Sky sports, for extra €21pm for 12 months, will try them for a discount on that. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

Just to post my experience with getting connected to NBI if it's any interest to someone.

I have no existing wired service bit did have underground ducting in place from the boundary back to the house. The fibre drop point is underground and the other side of the (small country) road so I wasn't sure how it would get to my boundary with no existing poles.

My area got enabled at the end of October and I ordered the service and picked an installation date of 14th Nov. The circet guy was out on the day on time and had a quick check around and confirmed a suspicion i had that there would be more work needed to get the fibre across the road . This meant a call to the civil team to arrange that.

They came out the week before last and dug a trench across the road and installed a new drop point at our boundary where the ducting was to connect the house to the fibre.

Finally we had to get connected up and that was done on Monday by a different guy and all is good so far. We ordered the 500MB line and get speeds of around 550 down and 50 up through ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Slates

NBI Fibre broadband installed on Friday. Location, North Kilkenny.

Download 510 and 45 upload.

Very happy camper. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Got a ready to pre-order email this morning. I could cry with joy. It's finally happening.

Any opinions on what provider to go without, outside of cost? Also I think I read here about UPS for the router, but I haven't seen anything like that to order.

• Advertisement

Anyone know when the next refresh of the site with updated rollout dates is due? Think they used to do it 3 or 4 times a year.

Advertisement