Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Is anyone actually going to use these points for anything other than essential access? Like I genuinely can't see anyone going there unless they really have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

mp3guy wrote: »
    Sounds like Vodafone will be serving up 150mbps of congested bandwidth amongst however many users. That's not going to go far if there's any serious uptake at these centers.

Why congested ? The 150mbps is the installed capacity for the bcp, and as far as I understand, would be solely for that bcp ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Why congested ? The 150mbps is the installed capacity for the bcp, and as far as I understand, would be solely for that bcp ?

I mean if 10 or 20 people start using it bandwidth still start getting scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Since the majority of these centres will be fed wirelessly 150mbps for each entire BCP Centre would probably be the maximum speed available.

I have a house 8kms from the local village with a now disconnected landline. What would be the odds of I getting NBI fibre, there is two more houses further in on the road, I have read several times of the possibility of Wireless being used for the most remote houses and this is something I obviously don't want.

What are the technical specs? and will fibre be rolled out everywhere or what will happen I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Climate Action, Communication Networks and Transport: Eamon Ryan (GP)
    When you think 2020 can't get any worse
    This guy hates rural Ireland, he will do whatever he can to block the NBI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    I don't think he can block it since it already sign and agreed on.I think Eamon Ryan will be a pain in the head for rural ireland for long time and always will be until he retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

He can't do anything about the NBP now thank God, and if he has any sense it'll get pushed even harder if he wants people to commute less to meet his 7% emissions target. We're going to be paying handsomely for our home heating and electricity while we're at home if he gets his way though.

I see Martin has nominated Dimmy Tooley into the Senate - cronyism alive and well still unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

rob808 wrote: »
    I don't think he can block it since it already sign and agreed on.I think Eamon Ryan will be a pain in the head for rural ireland for long time and always will be until he retires.
    Or the greens get wiped out in the next election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I just got a little sick in my mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

He'll sub the wireless bits out to Three again .. sure that worked the last time :p

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

well if he wants people to work from home he may get fiber to us quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

He seems to be mostly opposed to subsidising roll-out to 'new build' outside established towns and villages.

IIRC there was a forecast of 50k new homes within the lifetime of the contract. I suspect the developers will have to meet Ryan's sustainability criteria or pay for the roll-out/connections themselves.

Richard Bruton was talking about changing this part of the contract. I'm not sure if anything concrete was done.

clohamon wrote:
    He seems to be mostly opposed to subsidising roll-out to 'new build' outside established towns and villages.

yeah good luck to anyone trying to get planning for a one off house from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

fergus1001 wrote: »
    yeah good luck to anyone trying to get planning for a one off house from now on

Get around it by buying a site with an old house on it.

Planning is a council thing, usually a brown envelope to a councillor or hire the building contractor brother of a FF councillor at triple market rates and the legal bribe is all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Slates

NBI surveying at the Cross of Beggar in North Kilkenny today

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Hoping they'll post updates on some of the surveying they have completed this month. Some areas must be fully surveyed by now and plans in place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Adrian Weckler reporting the basic speed on NBP will now be 500Mbps instead of 150:

https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1278455184302264320?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Orebro wrote: »
    Adrian Weckler reporting the basic speed on NBP will now be 500Mbps instead of 150:

The article, most of it behind the premium paywall
    NBP to triple basic broadband speed for 500,000 rural residents

Adrian Weckler
    July 02 2020 02:30 AM

The new Government is to target a speedier rollout of the National Broadband Plan, with new higher basic speeds.

The Irish Independent understands that the minimum speed to be available to every qualifying rural household and business is set to be raised to 500Mbs, more than triple the original 150Mbs stated.

The Government is also said to be allocating extra cash for a 'front-loading' of the rollout, with a desire to bring the seven-year period down to five.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/nbp-to-triple-basic-broadband-speed-for-500000-rural-residents-39332805.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

rest of article......

Government in negotiations with NBI on speedup. And......

The new higher speeds are understood to be related to a price cut from rival operator Eir, which now has more than 300,000 passed fibre broadband premises and is aggressively trying to capture a fibre customer base. Underlying prices for the new State-funded rural broadband are pegged to those offered by the country's biggest operators, chief among them Eir. The former incumbent recently announced a €5 price cut on higher-end wholesale broadband, placing its 500Mbs broadband service at the same price as its 150Mbs service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

TheSegal wrote: »
    Hoping they'll post updates on some of the surveying they have completed this month. Some areas must be fully surveyed by now and plans in place

They posted back in May that there will be "rolling quarterly updates" so seems like it will be every 3 months theyl update the site. Was hoping itd be more regular.

So if they are going by fiscal quarter it should be this month. Otherwise probably looking at August.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Getting the runs done should be the objective, this micky measuring contest with Eir serves nobody. NBN (Australia) anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I won't know myself with 500Mbps broadband... highest I've ever even gotten close to is 15!

ED E wrote:
    Getting the runs done should be the objective, this micky measuring contest with Eir serves nobody. NBN (Australia) anyone?

let them measure away as long as I get my fiber

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

There seems to have been a flood of press updates on the NBI site over the last few days. The following areas were mentioned as having surveying underway:
      Cork Limerick Westmeath Galway Carlow Kerry Wexford Monaghan Wicklow Kildare Roscommon

In addition, surveying is expected to start soon in Tipperary and Louth.
    Not great reading if you're from Laois (like myself)

The first connections are due to start in January 2021, and most of the counties above are expected to have some of their areas connected by the middle of 2021, with between 30 - 50% of homes in the intervention area within these counties to be connected in the first phase.
    So my estimate would be roughly 10 - 15% of the complete Intervention Area to be covered with FTTH by then.

Another interesting figure which is mentioned in a number of articles is that they expect to have 40% of the overall county-wide IA with access to FTTH by year 3 of the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

scunermac wrote: »
    There seems to have been a flood of press updates on the NBI site over the last few days. The following areas were mentioned as having surveying underway:
      Cork Limerick Westmeath Galway Carlow Kerry Wexford Monaghan Wicklow Kildare Roscommon

In addition, surveying is expected to start soon in Tipperary and Louth.
    Not great reading if you're from Laois (like myself)

The first connections are due to start in January 2021, and most of the counties above are expected to have some of their areas connected by the middle of 2021, with between 30 - 50% of homes in the intervention area within these counties to be connected in the first phase.
    So my estimate would be roughly 10 - 15% of the complete Intervention Area to be covered with FTTH by then.

Another interesting figure which is mentioned in a number of articles is that they expect to have 40% of the overall county-wide IA with access to FTTH by year 3 of the project.

Interesting to read that. When I spoke with NBI they told me surveying was currently finished in Galway for now and they would be returning again at a later date TBD, but going by the article https://nbi.ie/news/latest/2020/06/30/galway-to-see-investment-of-e153-million-as-part-of-the-national-broadband-plan/ it sounds like they are still in Galway.

Ive also been told my area was surveyed (although not listed), while a friend of mine in the same area was told it wasn't surveyed. A Councillor for Galway also mentioned on his Facebook page that he asked the broadband officer for a date for areas in Galway not publicly mentioned and was told they dont know when they will be surveyed at this time.

A lot of conflicting reports.

Would there be an element of doing the low hanging fruit first to win as many new customers as possible and then generate an amount of cash-flow to help with the further outlying areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

I live just outside Roscommon town. My house was surveyed middle of June. Met the NBI fellas, nice guys to deal with. Since then in the last week have noticed FTTH cables tied up from sub ducts up lots of poles near me, all covered on nbi website as part of the scheme. Don't think it should be too long before we see FTTH. Whats peoples experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

djd80 wrote: »

I have a duct running to a pole and then into a panel on the side of my house - similar to an ESB meter box.
    Within that box I have power and a CAT6 cable into the house.

Will I be able to use that setup for the Fibre conection and avoid drilling walls etc do ye reckon?

I have similar setup, except I have no power to the external telco box. Would have been fine for a standard copper connection. Also no poles within 500 metres of us at present.

In any case, I very much doubt they will locate their ONT externally.

I'm reading elsewhere that fibre installers are insisting on a duct in to the house. Does this preclude aerial route from pole to gable of house? Surely they would have to accommodate this type of connection. Can't see how I could install an underground duct through a slab foundation with underfloor heating. Or do they expect duct to outside of house, then drill through the wall.

Looks like I'll have a few years before I need to worry about it anyhow!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Grnsj

I live just outside Roscommon town. My house was surveyed middle of June. Met the NBI fellas, nice guys to deal with. Since then in the last week have noticed FTTH cables tied up from sub ducts up lots of poles near me, all covered on nbi website as part of the scheme. Don't think it should be too long before we see FTTH. Whats peoples experience?

You probably don't care either way but that is highly unlikely to be NBI duct or fibre. NBI basically have one low level design currently done, that is for Carrigaline in Cork where they expect to pass 4500 premises some of which will hopefully be done this year. I don't think there is anywhere else planned for 2020. Townlands around Galway city, Tralee, Cavan town and Wexford town are next in line sometime in 2021.

What you saw is more likely to be part of OpenEir's IFN build.

Advertisement