Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Grnsj

I have similar setup, except I have no power to the external telco box. Would have been fine for a standard copper connection. Also no poles within 500 metres of us at present.

In any case, I very much doubt they will locate their ONT externally.

I'm reading elsewhere that fibre installers are insisting on a duct in to the house. Does this preclude aerial route from pole to gable of house? Surely they would have to accommodate this type of connection. Can't see how I could install an underground duct through a slab foundation with underfloor heating. Or do they expect duct to outside of house, then drill through the wall.

Looks like I'll have a few years before I need to worry about it anyhow!

As part of the survey each premises will be assigned, by NBI a preferred connection method i.e. overhead or underground. When that premises owner orders the ISP will be told by NBI what the preferred connection route is. If the owner wants a different connection method they will have to pay for a new survey and foot the cost of the different connection method.

If ducting is not already in place I'd expect NBI will favour overhead as it will be much cheaper for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Been wondering about installation whenever that day comes. My own house is part of a new build section in an estate however the entrance at the front are much older houses. Assuming FTTH installation in estates would be mainly underground?

In contrast my mother's house is detached in the countryside along a main road, but house was built in mid 70's so I'm assuming overhead installation?

Does Urban vs Rural FTTH have much differences in terms of installation or is it generally all the same process/equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

Can you tell me more about the IFN buildout? All of the premises are shown on the NBI website as pending survey. Is this some sort of competition from Eir to get there before NBI do?

joe123 wrote: »
    Been wondering about installation whenever that day comes. My own house is part of a new build section in an estate however the entrance at the front are much older houses. Assuming FTTH installation in estates would be mainly underground?

In contrast my mother's house is detached in the countryside along a main road, but house was built in mid 70's so I'm assuming overhead installation?

Does Urban vs Rural FTTH have much differences in terms of installation or is it generally all the same process/equipment?

Yes, estates and newer builds would tend to be underground. Older premises, such as your Mother's, would tend to be overhead. A rule of thumb would be that on installation NBI will generally try to follow the same route as the copper phone line if there happens to be one.

It's generally the same procedure for urban and rural, they might use a different cable for underground installations but I'm not sure if that is the case.

Can you tell me more about the IFN buildout? All of the premises are shown on the NBI website as pending survey. Is this some sort of competition from Eir to get there before NBI do?

The DCCAE ran a mapping consultation several months ago. Any operator was free to commit to rolling out high speed broadband to any locations that were on the NBP map. None of the operators would commit to the, rather onerous, conditions that DCCAE wanted. So the NBP map was finalised as it is today. However, just because a premises is on the map does not mean an operator is precluded from passing and connecting it.

That is what is happening with the IFN. Eir announced a €500m FTTH build in urban areas throughout the country. Many of these urban areas will have premises that are currently on the NBP map. Eir are free to connect as many of them as they wish. I don't know what Eir's intentions are, although incumbents generally don't react well to new entities that they may perceive as a threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

NBI were out surveying in Laois too. They were up the side roads around Arles village.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

recyclebin wrote:
    NBI were out surveying in Laois too. They were up the side roads around Arles village.

must be a carry over from the carlow survey, not sure Graigcullen was mentioned though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

fergus1001 wrote: »
    must be a carry over from the carlow survey, not sure Graigcullen was mentioned though

Yes, I think it's within the radius of the Carlow node.

recyclebin wrote: »
    Yes, I think it's within the radius of the Carlow node.

Where can we view these nodes? Would be curious to see what node covers specific areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/home/556383/dundalk-td-announced-as-sinn-fein-spokesperson-on-communications-and-broadband.html

Ruairí Ó Murchú TD has been appointed as Sinn Féin's new communications spokesman.
    ‘I am honoured to have been selected for this position. Everyone in Louth, and indeed across the State, knows what a joke broadband is in swathes of rural Ireland.
    ‘The Covid-19 pandemic has cemented the fact that broadband is essential to the everyday lives of people in every walk of life.
    ‘We know that remote working will be a far bigger part of the lives of workers in the coming months and years. We need to see more employees working from home, or in their local towns – meaning less traffic on the roads and more time with their families.
    ‘But because of the omnishambles that has been the National Broadband Plan, under Fine Gael, many rural businesses will not see high speed broadband any time soon.
    ‘Sinn Féin has proposed the establishment of digital hubs in rural towns, replicating the success of the Ludgate Hub in Skibbereen. The Ireland Strategic Investment Fund should partner with others to invest €1 billion over a decade regenerating town centres, including the creation of broadband hubs with work spaces for local businesses, and this is something that I want to work towards’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

clohamon wrote: »

Classic case of playing off the public's lack of knowledge of the NBI plan

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

So Sinn Fein's broadband policy during a pandemic is to abandon a program to provide fibre to homes and replace it with a program that would require people to travel to shared workspaces...?

Interesting.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    So Sinn Fein's broadband policy during a pandemic is to abandon a program to provide fibre to homes and replace it with a program that would require people to travel to shared workspaces...?

Interesting.

I think he just about left himself enough wriggle room on scrapping the NBP. Maybe Eamonn Ryan will ask him to clarify, next time they square up.

Hopefully flutes like that wont cause any unnecessary holdups on the rollout. Zero faith in Ryan too.

Hes either completely ignorant of what the national plan entails or hes just trying to point score against FG.

If he was anyways right, hed be pushing for the rollout to advance at an even faster pace for FTTH. Sinn Feinn are great at shouting from sidelines with very little substance.

clohamon wrote:
    I think he just about left himself enough wriggle room on scrapping the NBP. Maybe Eamonn Ryan will ask him to clarify, next time they square up.

never had faith in Eamon "3G is Broadband" Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

You mean Eamon "roads are enough for the culchies" Ryan?

https://m.independent.ie/business/technology/broadband-plan-gives-rural-homes-unfair-advantage-greens-leader-38280906.html

Yes, the NBS was the absolute bottom, except perhaps for the RBS (satellite and no funding)

IIRC the 2016 Green manifesto was 'Fibre to the Farm' ie fibre would be rolled out along all the roads/fields needed to access the farms, but denied to the homes passed along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

clohamon wrote: »
    Yes, the NBS was the absolute bottom, except perhaps for the RBS (satellite and no funding)

IIRC the 2016 Green manifesto was 'Fibre to the Farm' ie fibre would be rolled out along all the roads/fields needed to access the farms, but denied to the homes passed along the way.

Yes because farms are really non functional without broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

mp3guy wrote: »
    Cows love Netflix it's been proven that a cow that watches Netflix will produce one gallon more than a cow watching Prime. That's simply the way the world is gone / going .

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Pique wrote: »

I hadn't read that retort from Ryan before. That is quite an attitude. Hopefully he will be out of the picture soon enough

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

A farm is a business. It's pretty hard to run a farm without broadband these days.

Not endorsing Ryan's theories by any means, just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,933 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hmm interesting theory on a business in 2020....

When I say interesting I'm being derisory.

Its going to be a pretty disheartening whenever NBI actually update their map and see "premises pending survey" instead of some sort of time frame even if its a "survey date expected November 2020".

Dont think they have updated that map since the first round of dates and there is only so much regurgitated news articles I can take :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

oscarBravo wrote: »
    A farm is a business. It's pretty hard to run a farm without broadband these days.

Not endorsing Ryan's theories by any means, just saying.

Sure, modern farms use broadband, but it's not like farms didn't exist or were non-profitable before broadband.

But farms don't depend on broadband as much as other businesses, that's my point. If broadband were non-existent today I'd be surprised to see the farming industry collapse.

What makes farming so hard without broadband today? Genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Sure, modern farms use broadband, but it's not like farms didn't exist or were non-profitable before broadband.

But farms don't depend on broadband as much as other businesses, that's my point. If broadband were non-existent today I'd be surprised to see the farming industry collapse.

Did you not hear the guy, FFS cows with Netflix produce more milk on a daily basis:rolleyes:

clohamon wrote:

ah ye that wouldnt lead to a discrimination court case I'm sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Farming is an evolving modern business. Revenue, Farm monitoring, analysis and subsidies are all online these days requiring broadband.

ah ye that wouldnt lead to a discrimination court case I'm sure

Isn't it only like 7 things that you can object to discrimination on? Race, gender, marital status, sexuality, age, religion and membership of traveling community.

Farming is an evolving modern business. Revenue, Farm monitoring, analysis and subsidies are all online these days requiring broadband.

The crop monitoring via satellite systems would be a big one on large tillage farms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

The vast majority of farms now depend on broadband and would find it extremely difficult to move back to an offline system. They would be required to either take on less work, or hire more employees. I'm not going on a rant here, just giving examples of how I/other farmers I know use the internet seeing as you're curious.

The agfood.ie website: This website is ran by the Dept. of Agriculture. It contains a list of all the animals a farmer owns and everything about them. Where they were born, where they have been before, when they were moved, when they were last tested for TB, genetic information etc. It also contains financial services for farmers, grant applications, nitrates information (how much fertiliser the farmer is allowed to spread) and how many animals a farmer is allowed keep which can change based on what schemes the farmer enters into.

To move an animal to another farm or grazing area owned by someone else, farmers log into www.agfood.ie and have to apply for a certificate of compliance to move them. This is usually granted instantly if the farmer is allowed to move animals (denied if e.g. farm had an animal tested positive for TB) and can be accepted by the receiving farmer on his online system using the cert number. It must be done before moving the animal. Previously this had to be done at a mart or took days via post to the dept. of agriculture and the new owner. Before that, there was no system in place but that's not an option anymore and this system is the reason, if you want to, find out all this information about the beef you buy in the supermarket. The same system is used to register new calves. Multiply all that paperwork by a few hundred and it gets into a lot of work.

Everything used on farm has to be logged. Medicines used on animals, sprays used on land. Everything. There is now a qr code on spray bottles that farmers scan into whatever app they decide to use e.g. herdwatch. This is then logged and can be viewed by auditors (from Bord Bia and Dept. of Ag) at the click of a button. A few weeks ago we had a farm audit by Bord Bia. They are not doing on-farm audits due to covid-19. They required pictures of all housing on the farm, feed storage, safety equipment etc., scans of records both offline and online records. It took me hours to upload everything. Luckily we changed ISP just last week and now have a reliable 50/5 connection instead of about 2/0.2

All cattle and sheep in the country now have an electronic tag. This can be scanned by animal handling equipment that automatically uploads animal weights and can be viewed by farmers on their phone.

On dairy farms, particularly robot milking parlours (common nowadays), support services need to be able to log into the robotic milking systems via teamviewer. These support engineers are often in another country so there's enough lag without a bad internet connection on the farmers end! You won't find many milking parlours built in the last 5-10 years that don't have an internet connection requirement.

Most dairy farms use artificial insemination. A lot of farmers are using collars on their cows. These collars monitor the cow and judging by the cows movements, temperatures etc., can tell the farmer on their phone when a cow is ready to be served. Automatic gates are often set up and based on this data the gate opens and allows the cow into a separate pen. This monitor can tell a farmer that their cow is sick before she has any visible signs also.

Calving cameras - calving cameras have cut down on hours of work and sleepless nights for farmers travelling up and down to out-farms.

Field measurements - I use my phone a lot to measure different sections of fields.

Would the farming industry collapse? No, but similar to if other businesses did not have broadband, it would cause a lot of hardship, time and money.

They definitely find music comforting and we leave on the radio but haven't tried netflix on them, yet :D

Advertisement