Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The router can probably be moved to a shelf relatively easily tbh. Anyone can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

The router and ONT is in the main walkway on the room between the wall and the end of the bed. cant be put on a shelf which is above head height without replacing the ethernet cable and using a power extension. Besides that the most important issue is my mother doesn't want the big white box that was planted smack back in the middle of the wall in the bedroom that was only recently done up, not to mention the ugly black cable that was tacked to the freshly painted skirting boards and loops up to the ONT.

So question is if ONT can be moved by us or we will need to get the engineer back out (i assume at a cost)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

A lot covered and well chaired by Denis Naughten. But looked like a poor turnout by members.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭shmeee

Hi all, got an email off NBI that Fibre is now available to pre-oder about 8 months ahead of schedule release date I was getting previously.

I have been reading the thread and my main question relates to placement of the fibre box in the house and how it comes in. As many have said it's just thrown in where is handy for the engineer.

Previously the house had a copper connection and came in via a duct from the pole at side of garden. Will they use the same duct or feed it in overhead from experience? Also many have said they won't install in an attic, even if a converted attic? And I can then feed down cat cable to the communications room and feed the house from there is the plan.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Would the fact dp box and cabling done indicate quicker then anticipated connection date? Im still at sep-dec2024 on website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Did the crew not discuss the location for the ONT with your parents prior to starting the installation?

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Started running ducting between poles in the MountBolus area in Offaly. Such a waste of resources to have to run fibre km’s out of the village right beside the eir fibre to pick up a few houses at the ends of the eir runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Thats what is going to happen to when we get fiber. Four houses missed by Eir and 25km of cable to get us a fiber connection. OK I'm sure plenty of other houses will get connected on the way but for a couple of miles up the road everyone has had fiber for years.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Is this really how they are doing it?? I had assumed they just continued on the eir fibre or siro fibre? In our area it would be a very small job to connect the few houses left out on each road by commercial roll outs if they just continued on where the commercial roll out stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Fibre being strung up along our road today. Connection estimate is April-June 2024. Curragh Camp DA, county Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

The guy said that it was the only place it could go as he needed 2 plugs, he said the only other option was to run the cable down the wall of a double height entrance hallway or pull up the wooden floors, so they just went along with what he told them.

There are plenty of plugs along the cable route where he could have terminated the ONT and then run a CAT 5 cable after placing the router in a less obtrusive and dangerous location

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

My NBI timeline for anyone looking:

Original Expected Date: Jan-Dec 2024

Updated to Expected Date: Apr-Jun 2024

Distribution Points Installed: September 2023

NBI Map Updated Mid-October to Available to Preorder - Predicted Nov-December 2023, Put in Preorder with Digiweb

NBI Map Updated November 16th - Ready to Connect, phone call from Digiweb to arrange installation on 1st December :)

I am just wondering from other people's experience, I currently have a copper phone line (no longer used) going from the pole at the road where the DP is to the house overhead for the most part but in the middle there is a duct that brings the phone cable underground beneath an overhead power line and back up the pole at the other side. This duct is basically a bit of 1.5inch wavin pipe (put in by eircom decades ago) and seems to be mostly full with just the copper cable and whatever shielding they used to put around it - it looks like its probably blocked as there's nothing stopping anything from falling into it at the top of either pole. My question is will NBI put down a new duct/try to use the existing eir duct and if not will they put a new one down on install day? There is also a small few branches that need to be cleared between pole and house. Will they clear that also? (very small twigs and branches that would just be touching off the wire, no major trees/branches etc).

And lastly do they get into attics when working with NBI or is that a no go area? I have a duct going from the attic into a network cab that houses everything in one corner of the spare bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Seems comreg do work, after 12months a pole installed today in my lawn, i have been told i need to do ducting, long front garden. Is it 3/4 inch wavin most people use and do kn do roping or should i do that too?

https://www.tanksdirect.ie/products/3-4-heavy-guage-hydrodare-pipe?variant=39338763518027

would that suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Slates

I have 500/50 fibre broadband installed since March 2023 through NBI.

I can not emphasise how much of a game changer it is. VERY happy customer 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Noticed alot of areas have been updated to be just Jan 26 - December 26 now instead of the original Jan 25 - Dec 26 timeframe.

Have also been receiving emails for about 5 months saying they are surveying in my area but havent seen sight nor sound of them, plus the rollout map still says pending survey.

Oh well.

Our DA was surveyed during the summer, our local area had completed survey a while before the map was updated to survey underway. Recently NBI were around again looking at possible fibre cable routes, landowner permissions etc.

Also 2026 rollout for us.

We had Jan 25 Dec 26. Was survey pending. Survey in progress . Its now network build in progress. We had lads installing replacement poles for broken ones then trimming few weeks back. Our date is now July 25 Dec 25

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

The expression of interest email updates, at least used to be anyway, based on the entire OLT location rather than your specific eircode so that may explain that and only goes by specific eircode when it comes to the pre-order and ready to connect stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

There's been a few new eir poles installed along my road in the last week or so and today there was some lads doing tree trimming along the lines. They had signs out that they were working on behalf of TLI for NBI.

Hollyford DA - January 2025 - June 2025

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 265 Mod ✭✭✭✭OSI

Finally got installed there last week and have to say the Circet guys were very good. Brought it into the plant room in the middle of the house so it's well hidden and after a good chat the installer was good enough to let me have the PPPoE details so I could use my own network gear instead of the modem that was sent.

2Gbps Down and 200 Mbps up via Aptus broadband and it's living up to the promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dollylama

Does anyone know is the 2Gbps product running over a 10Gbps XG-GPON link or is it just GPON maxed out? That's a serious result posted either way!

Post edited by The Cush on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Always curious about the high-bandwidth users...

Do you actually need this speed or is it "because it's there" you got it? 😀

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 265 Mod ✭✭✭✭OSI

Backups and file transfers are a big thing for me. I have a couple of NASes here that I replicate to matching units in my folks house so the upload is very beneficial for that, and then I have an object storage bucket that I store a lot 4K video in so the download and upload comes in handy then. That and Steam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Hi folks just a quick question here..Got hooked up on Thursday by Circet and decided to go with eir. I wasas told connection good but eir still had to set up acc that would take 20 minutes. Later that evening rang eir to be told it would bw 24 hours and then next day told it would be 48 hours. As of today still not up and running..Is this normal with eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Got my NBI installation last week in the Kilgarvan DA, Kerry. It was initially scheduled for the 30th, but when I called to confirm in response to the installation confirmation text I was offered a cancellation for the next day. I am absolutely thrilled with it. Installation was last Saturday week 25/11/23.

The Circnet technician arrived around 10:30am and was in and out in under 2 hours, I went for the overhead cable route mirroring the Eir Landline from the DP on the pole, an underground install would be extremely difficult; needing to trench tarmac and cut footpaths, it would be totally crazy in comparison to what we did.

The fibre cable went into the attic and down to the opposite end of the house where it entered pre existing cable trunking, with the ONT Wallmounted just above the former EIR Mastersocket.

I had as much prepwork as possible done ahead of the installation. I had trees cut back, a clear pathway for the cable made. The technician clipped it on the purlin all the way down the attic which is floored and lit, an abandoned loft conversion which never went all the way. He dropped the cable down and into the cable trunking. It was an incredibly neat and tidy installation and the guy was very precise and exact in his job. He used 52m of fibre cable and photographed different sets of the work into his system ipad, there is a big database so that NBI can see exactly the setup in each premises, from the cable entry and location of the ONT etc. This will greatly help in future repairs and fault finding.

Timeline of my installation:

NBI website with my eircode changed to available to pre-order: 13/10/2023, a friend of mine pre-ordered the next day on 14/10/2023 and was installed on 20/11/2023

I myself ordered on 20/10/2023 from a salesman from Vodafone who doorstepped me and I went for the 500mb package for €40 + €5 per month for the Voip landline for a total of €45 a month. I could have subsequently got cheaper deals from Sky and on Black Friday but for the first time in years I feel I'm getting value for my money.

I was offered an installation date from Circnet on behalf of Vodafone for 30/11/2023, I accepted.

Fast forward to 24/11/2023 I received an SMS text from Vodafone to confirm the 30/11/2023 installation date, I called up to confirm and was offered a cancellation of the next morning, I accepted and I had it installed on 25/11/2023. Placing my order to active service 20/10/2023 to 25/11/2023.

To say I am happy is a huge understatement, I have watched a few hours of youtube and netflix without buffering, done some great high quality video calls and a Zoom call to make up for lost engagement in Dublin due to the riots last week there.

I was contemplating getting Starlink as its prices dropped but as the timeline for Fibre emerged and activity locally increased with DP's mounted and fibre starting to be strung I clung on. My initial time for the last 12+ months was Oct-Dec 2023, the pessimist in me said St. Patrick's Day 2024 and I never expected to have FTTH for Christmas 2023 to be honest.

My internet history in a nutshell:

1998-2005: Dial-up 44.8kbps, Indigo go-free, Telecom Eireann Tinet, Oceanfree and finally BT Internet

2005-2008: One way Satellite: Teles Skydsl a German Company 2mbs down with a 3gb allowance, using the Dial-up as upload/uplink, massive ping

2008-2010: Local adhoc wisp, 7mbps shared by about 30 houses, later raising to 24mbps, using 5ghz radio antenna.

2010-2023, Eir ADSL 2.0 giving 14.2mbps down and 0.9-1mb up, used this with Eir, Vodafone and Sky down through the years, usually jumping ship each year for the best deal.

2019-2023, Eir 4G on my smart phone used for upload for any large files.

2023- NBI Fibre to the home now, finally.

Post edited by theguzman on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Also I forgot to mention that the Circnet Technician supplied my Vodafone modem, they only supply modems for Eir and Vodafone wheras the other providers post out their modems to the customer in advance of installation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

Thanks for the post.

Love to see these detailed installation posts :-)

Advertisement