Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I'm in Carrigaline and not seeing any adds etc fir same,ive siro VF in Carrigaline, it goes from absolutely brilliant to ****e- 700 mb- 35 MB

That sounds awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

I'm in Carrigaline and not seeing any adds etc fir same,ive siro VF in Carrigaline, it goes from absolutely brilliant to ****e- 700 mb- 35 MB

Did they give you any idea what was causing this issue? That would peeve me off big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Wow the worst case scenario 35mb is five times faster than my fastest connection :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya surely at 35 you can do pretty much everything you want. I've only 3 max and I'm able to watch Netflix, Amazon, sky go and play online games. If the speed drops at all I have issues but can only dream at the moment of having 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

NBAiii wrote: »

14km was just in one direction in one deployment area. It may be less or slightly more in other locations. I would agree with you though that Belclare looks likely to cover Headford.

I've another question :pac:

You mentioned how they are currently working on 33 OLT areas. Would you have any idea how they progress after these initial 33?

If they have 227 in total, Im curious how they would then decide to select the next batch of OLT areas to work out from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Jofspring wrote: »
    Ya surely at 35 you can do pretty much everything you want. I've only 3 max and I'm able to watch Netflix, Amazon, sky go and play online games. If the speed drops at all I have issues but can only dream at the moment of having 35.
    Likewise, with 3. 35 would be incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Got this outta NBI on twitter earlier:

It is anticipated that survey works will be carried out in parts of Donegal in Q3 of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

It's a bit annoying that they're on a PR exercise at the moment on social media, telling people to get in touch, and then to just send out the boiler plate response!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Orebro wrote: »
    It's a bit annoying that they're on a PR exercise at the moment on social media, telling people to get in touch, and then to just send out the boiler plate response!

Yeah, what's the point? Not like they need to advertise, pretty sure 99% of the homes they hook up will be availing of the services, that's the whole point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

mp3guy wrote: »
    Yeah, what's the point? Not like they need to advertise, pretty sure 99% of the homes they hook up will be availing of the services, that's the whole point.

20% is more likely in the initial stages:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30895397.html

Twitter is cheap PR, so they're right to use it as much as possible. Cheaper than buying ad space / air time.
    Their lack of transparency on rollout timeframe (beyond carrigaline, and even at a quarterly level of granularity) is frustrating, and that's what I hope to see rectified ASAP. It's not unreasonable to think the government has access to detailed progress reports (they'd want to given their investment), so it's a pity those cant be distilled for public consumption. I was surveyed two months ago and my eircode still is listed as "Awaiting survey"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

joe123 wrote: »
    I've another question :pac:

You mentioned how they are currently working on 33 OLT areas. Would you have any idea how they progress after these initial 33?

If they have 227 in total, Im curious how they would then decide to select the next batch of OLT areas to work out from.

I don't know what their plans are after the initial phase is. From what they said yesterday it seems that it will be at least 18 months before this phase is completed. Work in Carrigaline and Cavan is to begin in the next fortnight with Galway, Tralee and Wexford town being next in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

I don't know what their plans are after the initial phase is. From what they said yesterday it seems that it will be at least 18 months before this phase is completed. Work in Carrigaline and Cavan is to begin in the next fortnight with Galway, Tralee and Wexford town being next in 2021.

The due date for my road in Galway is Dec 2020-Feb2021, was really hoping to have it this side of Christmas but not so hopeful now after your comment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

TheSegal wrote: »
    The due date for my road in Galway is Dec 2020-Feb2021, was really hoping to have it this side of Christmas but not so hopeful now after your comment :(

Where can you find the due dates? It just says I’m pending a survey when I enter my Eircode

• Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Surprised this isn't posted. It's been out two hours

https://mobile.twitter.com/rtenews/status/1298302668188901376

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oh damn, I would have assumed that surveying would loop back around again once all counties have phase 1 surveying done, theres only 6 or so counties left at this stage?

I expected they would have Surveying teams and build teams.

Id be hoping then build work etc would be one team, and the surveyors would continue surveying?

Example:

Phase 1: Survey parts of ALL counties
    Begin build for Cork, Cavan, Galway, etc
    Begin connections for Cork, Cavan Galway etc

Phase 2: Survey parts of ALL counties (next batch of townlands)
    Begin build for previously surveyed counties from phase 1
    Begin connections for previously surveyed counties from phase 1

Rinse and Repeat.

Am I way off on this? Or is the plan to Survey, then build, then connect. THEN start phase 2 surveying?

Ah here, you're going to be one of the first in the country to be connected, you don't have any grounds for complaint :D

Am I way off on this? Or is the plan to Survey, then build, then connect. THEN start phase 2 surveying?

I wouldn't think the teams mounting cable on poles are the same teams doing ground surveys, so to me it makes sense that surveying keeps going at full speed until they have the entire country done. That way they can give timelines into the future too, long before connections are going to happen.

Orebro wrote: »
    Ah here, you're going to be one of the first in the country to be connected, you don't have any grounds for complaint :D

Sorry, you're completely right! The next 4 months will feel like an eternity but it's not that far at all!

• Advertisement

Sorry, you're completely right! The next 4 months will feel like an eternity but it's not that far at all!

I swear im not jealous..... Frustrating for us living in a town 20 minutes from Galway City and we still have no survey date stuck on less than 10Mb (also told at the beginning we were surveyed which proved to be incorrect)

So its great its the first county to be connected, but only a small portion of it! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Where can you find the due dates? It just says I’m pending a survey when I enter my Eircode

this !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Would be safe to say you won't get a due date if your premises hasn't been surveyed.

Reach out to them directly either via email or twitter and they may be able to give you something more concrete. But until they survey you, they won't know how much work needs to be done to get you connected!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dollylama

Am I wrong in thinking that eir already had all this survey work done some 3-5 years ago? I recall teams out geo-tagging poles, marking defectives poles and studying ducts to houses.

Surely it would be cheaper and speedier for NBI to just buy the info from eir and fill in the gaps

You're assuming OpenEIR is willing to part with that info or that they did it at all. Also, things have changed in the last few years with new builds, road works, trees, etc... so everything needs to be surveyed again so nothing pops up out of the blue so they can stick to a schedule. Since it's a private operation i'm sure they want to get it done as quick and efficient as possible to start getting some revenue in from sellers

dollylama wrote: »
    Am I wrong in thinking that eir already had all this survey work done some 3-5 years ago? I recall teams out geo-tagging poles, marking defectives poles and studying ducts to houses.

Surely it would be cheaper and speedier for NBI to just buy the info from eir and fill in the gaps

Wouldn't the Eir survey only cover the areas that NBI don't need to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Just picking up on what my contact in one of the contractors said that they were back hauling on to the ENET infrastructure it makes sense that Carrigaline is going first. When you look at their fiber in and around Carrigaline its very extensive and covers a lot of area.

https://www.enet.ie/mans-search.html

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

got surveyed this morning Cobh( near Dockyard) and on site it says Dec 2020 / Feb 2021 , here's hoping !

Tony H wrote: »
    got surveyed this morning Cobh( near Dockyard) and on site it says Dec 2020 / Feb 2021 , here's hoping !

Were they just outside your house or did they require to check additional structure? Do you know was the site just updated recently for your area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Were they just outside your house or did they require to check additional structure? Do you know was the site just updated recently for your area?

the guy in a nbi van checked the pole and tagged it with a barcode , the pole is inside our gate ,and he also tagged two more nearby poles,
    saw another crew
    near Carrigaloe train station clearing overhanging branches from Eir poles

Advertisement