Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

KN networks guy looking at esb poles near me. unusual?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Anyone know how to get some updates on county Louth? Newspaper reports back in 2019 reported that Dundalk and Drogheda would be early areas to get connected and supply a 30km radius from both. However, I haven't seen or heard anything about the county since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

Anyone know how to get some updates on county Louth? Newspaper reports back in 2019 reported that Dundalk and Drogheda would be early areas to get connected and supply a 30km radius from both. However, I haven't seen or heard anything about the county since then.

I asked them that on Twitter about three weeks ago and they said surveying was to begin in the coming weeks for Louth, still no sign of anything yet around these parts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

prionnsias wrote: »
    I asked them that on Twitter about three weeks ago and they said surveying was to begin in the coming weeks for Louth, still no sign of anything yet around these parts though.

I did the same. Asked them at the start of August, said 3-4 weeks. Asked them last week and they gave me the generic "this is a 5-7 year build" answer and then one of their team said they'd ask the survey team, but have heard nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

They have marked a lot of poles out at my brothers house it must be a good sign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

naughto wrote: »
    They have marked a lot of poles out at my brothers house it must be a good sign

Marked them how?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Pique wrote: »
    Marked them how?

Spray paint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Seen three NBI vans at Galway Airport today, was very tempted to ask them how work is going around the area and if they were planning to turn left or right out of Centra! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

KOR101 wrote: »

Fast track premises in year 6 and 7 of the plan.....so they have a roadmap but just don't want to share it?

Tell me if im in year 7, its the not knowing I hate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

No no lads, ye have it all wrong it's 3 years ahead of schedule:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/22/irelands-rural-broadband-plan-is-3-years-ahead-of-schedule-mccourt.html

Can see the fact checkers at CNBC are top-class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

KOR101 wrote: »

Maybe they could fast track a website update with survey times, would be a good start!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Is this Eamon Ryan trying to take credit for something he was totally opposed to in the first place?
    This article is from 4 months ago.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/government-negotiating-to-cut-national-broadband-plan-rollout-from-seven-to-five-years-39239552.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

No no lads, ye have it all wrong it's 3 years ahead of schedule:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/22/irelands-rural-broadband-plan-is-3-years-ahead-of-schedule-mccourt.html

Can see the fact checkers at CNBC are top-class.

I think this is David McCourt's view. I've never heard ten years mentioned before.

From The Cush's post and link to the Reuters interview of 25th August.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ireland-business-breakingviews-idUSKBN25L1V5
    “Hopefully we’ll get it done in five years….”
    “Originally it was a ten year project, then it was a seven year project, now because of Covid they want to make it a five year project”
    "We’ll do our best to get it done as soon as we can."

I suspect he'll try and extract the maximum now that the Government has gone public with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

Secto branded NBI van and hoist working on our road yesterday. Just met another NBI lorry this morning with a grab and new poles on the back. Rural Cavan

baz9375 wrote: »
    Secto branded NBI van and hoist working on our road yesterday. Just met another NBI lorry this morning with a grab and new poles on the back. Rural Cavan

That's the first I've heard of an NBI _lorry_. Wouldn't any pole installations/repairs still be carried out by Eir on behalf of NBI?

That's the first I've heard of an NBI _lorry_. Wouldn't any pole installations/repairs still be carried out by Eir on behalf of NBI?

They were both Secto lorries with NBI stickers on the cabs. I'll see if they're around today to try grab a photo

Update..This was the Lorry I saw this morning

https://www.anglocelt.ie/2020/09/14/build-for-national-broadband-network-begins-in-cavan/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Where abouts? ^^

Where abouts? ^^

Cloverhill, Co.Cavan

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I think it was always envisioned that NBI would build new network where it was required. Where there's open eir network in place it makes sense to rent it, but if there's no network it makes more sense to build it yourself than to wait for someone else to build it then rent it from them.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I think it was always envisioned that NBI would build new network where it was required. Where there's open eir network in place it makes sense to rent it, but if there's no network it makes more sense to build it yourself than to wait for someone else to build it then rent it from them.

So there's potentially people being offered fibre who've never had a telephone service? Fascinating!

So there's potentially people being offered fibre who've never had a telephone service? Fascinating!

Or possible people who had a FCS or similar wireless phone service.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Or possible people who had a FCS or similar wireless phone service.

I would have imagined those people would have fallen into Fixed Wireless solution part of the NBP that it would be impractical to serve with fibre. Anyway, it's mighty to see poles heading for installation!

I would have imagined those people would have fallen into Fixed Wireless solution part of the NBP that it would be impractical to serve with fibre.

I honestly think that number will be vanishingly small. NBI are taking a 25-year view of this project, and over that timeframe there's almost nobody whom it makes more sense to connect wirelessly - which is what I've been saying from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Anyone know how many Counties NBI have surveyed/surveying in now?

The latest is Offaly. Are they over 20 now? Will be interesting to see what happens once all counties have these 1st phase surveys done.

Big work done today :-) damaged poles marked on road, and digging work started around some of them - fibre rolled through ducting and attached to about 6 poles. Some photos attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Just checked nbi website im in the midleton area and it's expected in December 2020 - Feb 2021 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Does anyone know how long between mapping and installing the infrastructure?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

baz9375 wrote: »
    Big work done today :-) damaged poles marked on road, and digging work started around some of them - fibre rolled through ducting and attached to about 6 poles. Some photos attached.

Not to burst your bubble but there is no fibre in any of those images. The black pipe with the label is duct that fibre will eventually be passed through. The platic stop on the end is a gas block to prevent moisture ingress.

The label lettering means the duct DT155xxx is using Eir duct and it is part of the "C" ribbon out of Cavan. Cavan has been divided up into five distinct ribbons A to E.

• Advertisement

NBAiii wrote: »
    Not to burst your bubble but there is no fibre in any of those images. The black pipe with the label is duct that fibre will eventually be passed through. The platic stop on the end is a gas block to prevent moisture ingress.

The label lettering means the duct DT155xxx is using Eir duct and it is part of the "C" ribbon out of Cavan. Cavan has been divided up into five distinct ribbons A to E.

Thanks. Didn’t know what the tags were and thought the black pipe was the fibre itself.

Still really happy to have gone from nothing to this in the space of a few days.

I’m really hopeful that we will have our go live date of Jan - March the Eircode checker is showing.

Advertisement