Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

The Cush wrote:
    In a Dáil written reply on Tuesday

Eamon Ryan would get destroyed if he tries to derail the NBP for satellite solutions, surely he remembers the shambles that was a National broadband scheme which was brought in by him I do recall

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Brilliant news for me this morning. Got an email back from nbi to say the technical team have reviewed my case and reclassified us to be included in the intervention area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

So can we write to Eamon and tell him how bad of an idea that Starlink is?

Even Musk describes it as "Better than Nothing" - https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanocallaghan/2020/10/27/spacex-reveals-monthly-cost-of-starlink-internet-in-its-better-than-nothing-betabut-is-it-too-expensive/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

The Cush wrote: »
    In a Dáil written reply on Tuesday

Interesting that the Starlink information was volunteered without any question being submitted. It looks like they're just neutralising the LEO enthusiasts before another ignorant clamour starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan would get destroyed if he tries to derail the NBP for satellite solutions, surely he remembers the shambles that was a National broadband scheme which was brought in by him I do recall

This all doesn't matter - there is a signed contract for the rollout of the NBP with the funding earmarked and committed so nothing can derail it now. They can talk about Starlink all they want as far as the people in the intervention area are concerned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

guil wrote: »
    Brilliant news for me this morning. Got an email back from nbi to say the technical team have reviewed my case and reclassified us to be included in the intervention area.

I seem to recall you being near the Curragh like myself. I don't suppose they gave any indication when surveying might start around here?

I have a feeling we're in for a long haul, but if it gets done at all then all's well that ends well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Orebro wrote: »
    This all doesn't matter - there is a signed contract for the rollout of the NBP with the funding earmarked and committed so nothing can derail it now. They can talk about Starlink all they want as far as the people in the intervention area are concerned!

Could they be looking at it an an option for those expensive difficult to reach areas that are to be served by wireless under the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

The Cush wrote: »
    Could they be looking at it an an option for those expensive difficult to reach areas that are to be served by wireless under the contract?

That was my thought as well, they might even be able to get better pricing terms too for a bulk purchase e.g. NBI take say 10,000 connections and resell them through their normal wholesale process.

I was talking to people who supply the poles to NBI and they were saying they are behind in putting up poles and they are holding extra stock because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

Also from the Dáil on Tuesday the information that retailers will not be selling service on the network until the end of January. It seems Carrigaline will be the test bed so there may be some small amount of trial connections there before year end.
    NBI crews have started initial works for the build covering approximately 4,000 premises in the Carrigaline area, including Cullen, Templebreedy, Carrigaline, Ballyfoyle, Douglas, Ballyphehane, Glasheen, Mahon, and Kilpatrick. The first fibre to the home connections are expected next month and they will be subject to technical testing and validation prior to a wider release of the area. I am advised that, from the end of January, retailers will be able to resell the service and householders in these areas will be able to order high-speed broadband provided via the NBI network.
    Work has already started in counties Cork, Galway, Limerick and Cavan and the fibre connection will be in the first houses in Carrigaline before the end of the year. From the end of January, retailers will be able to resell the service in those areas, so we will be up and running.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2020-11-10/49/#spk_322

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2020-11-10/38/#spk_286

• Advertisement

fergus1001 wrote: »
    I was talking to people who supply the poles to NBI and they were saying they are behind in putting up poles and they are holding extra stock because of it

The Kelly group were named as one of the primary build partners but it seems Covid has prevented them from travelling from the UK so it seems NBI have had to try to make up for the defecit by engaging smaller Irish firms but it would appear they are behind schedule, perhaps unsurprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2020-11-10/220/#pq_220
    I am advised by NBI that, as of 4 November 2020, almost 122,000 premises across 25 counties have been surveyed which is ahead of the full year survey target of 120,000 that had been projected by the company. .....

Based on information available at 4 November, I am advised that the following is the number of premises per County that have been surveyed.

County No of Premises surveyed to date

Carlow 4,889

Cavan 3,738

Clare 2,613

Cork 16,432

Donegal 2,475

Dublin 2,437

Galway 10,267

Kerry 6,549

Kildare 2,818

Kilkenny 3,905

Laois 2,821

Leitrim 3,576

Limerick 4,075

Longford 3,294

Louth 6,943

Mayo 4,817

Monaghan 4,355

Offaly 1,275

Roscommon 3,591

Sligo 2,513

Tipperary 6,599

Waterford 6,358

Westmeath 6,201

Wexford 4,462

Wicklow 4,977

Total 121,980

Anyone got the breakdown of total premises in the IA per county to see the percentage coverage. But 122k covered by surveys already out of 520k isn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Pique wrote: »

Anyone got the breakdown of total premises in the IA per county to see the percentage coverage. But 122k covered by surveys already out of 520k isn't bad.

But Fitzmaurice says word on the ground is Surveys are wrong !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

They usually call it out in any press/social post eg. We are now surveying in X county, X county has a total of 12345 premises covered under the NBI.

May be somewhere though with a full list without the need of having to individually look. I mentioned this a few weeks back but speaking with NBI rep, recently, they told me they aim to have all surveying completed in by early 2021. Pinch of salt with that but thats what they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Every single county has some except Meath! Who’s cornflakes did we s&*^ in!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

rodge123 wrote: »

This is your counties punishment for inflicting Hector on the country! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

rodge123 wrote: »

It makes sense actually, as they only started surveying last week I think.

At least, last week is when I noticed my house was being surveyed.

Pique wrote:

I'll give it a crack

Pique wrote:
    Found it:

did he leak that too :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

just outside carrigaline and the pole outside my house now has new fiber and a connection box so not that long for us I suspect. one thing im not sure anyone raised and will be a killer for a lot of people ,my whole area has around 100mb via FTTC and broadband or lack of is not a hot topic around here so id question why this area was chosen first.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

On the date the contract was signed the final intervention area was confirmed at 537,596 premises (plus new premises to be built) - https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/e15062-high-speed-broadband-for-11m-people-in-homes-schools-businesses-acro/

The NBI website is quoting 544,000 premises (including new builds)

Breakdown of Premises in the State Intervention Area by County

County|Number of Premises in State Intervention Area| Percentage of Total Premises in Intervention Area (%)|*Approx. Investment Years 1 to 25 (€million)
    Carlow| 8,088| 1.50%| €32m
    Cavan| 16,200| 3.01%| €65m
    Clare | 22,342| 4.16%| €89m
    Cork| 78,695| 14.64%| €314m
    Donegal| 32,130| 5.98%| €128m
    Dublin| 12,145| 2.26%| €48m
    Galway| 38,338| 7.13%| €153m
    Kerry| 26,775| 4.98%| €107m
    Kildare| 13,329| 2.48%| €53m
    Kilkenny| 18,092| 3.37%| €72m
    Laois| 12,385| 2.30%| €49m
    Leitrim| 11,555| 2.15%| €46m
    Limerick| 21,024| 3.91%| €84m
    Longford| 8,602| 1.60%| €34m
    Louth| 8,245| 1.53%| €33m
    Mayo| 36,360| 6.76%| €145m
    Meath| 18,989| 3.53%| €76m
    Monaghan|15,125| 2.81%| €60m
    Offaly| 12,108| 2.25%| €48m
    Roscommon|19,059| 3.55%| €76m
    Sligo| 14,809| 2.75%| €59m
    Tipperary| 29,647| 5.51%| €118m
    Waterford| 14,876| 2.77%| €59m
    Westmeath|11,631| 2.16%| €46m
    Wexford| 22,175| 4.12%| €88m
    Wicklow| 14,871| 2.77%| €59m

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

danny004 wrote: »
    just outside carrigaline and the pole outside my house now has new fiber and a connection box so not that long for us I suspect. one thing im not sure anyone raised and will be a killer for a lot of people ,my whole area has around 100mb via FTTC and broadband or lack of is not a hot topic around here so id question why this area was chosen first.
    I live in Rochestown (known as Carrigaline for rollout) and have max 5mbps DSL. I think it's entirely clear why tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Dero wrote: »
    I seem to recall you being near the Curragh like myself. I don't suppose they gave any indication when surveying might start around here?

I have a feeling we're in for a long haul, but if it gets done at all then all's well that ends well.

Yes I am, sent an email after reading a post near the beginning of this thread, initially they said contact isp and comreg. Both ended at a dead wall and emailed again and got that this morning.

They said they would email me again when they reclassify me and after that is done i can register for updates. I'll ask when I hear from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

I live in Rochestown (known as Carrigaline for rollout) and have max 5mbps DSL. I think it's entirely clear why tbh.

I dont know all im saying is Ill probably be one of the first to get this in the whole country and I have 100mb broadband as do aall my neighbors in roughly a 5 KM radius

I dont know all im saying is Ill probably be one of the first to get this in the whole country and I have 100mb broadband as do aall my neighbors in roughly a 5 KM radius

Would it be possible for you to upload a picture of the box on the pole? It sounds like it might be an openeir distribution point. They are building in urban areas at the moment so it would make sense. Any premises currently receiving a service over 30Mb/s is not going to be covered by NBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Great to see that it looks like they aren’t running behind schedule due to the virus. I’m seeing nbi and kn group vans all over Monkstown, Passage and Rochestown for the past few weeks, seems to be full steam ahead. There was a guy surveying along the road where I live last week. I’m not sure why they started in Carrigaline itself when the speeds are decent but there must be some reason behind it. I’ll be glad to see the back of 4mbps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There was an NBI SUV outside my house just there - probably doing some surveying. Any idea what the surveying entails as they didnt get out of the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Do you show as being in the intervention area on the NBI map? https://nbi.ie/

Sounds more like you could be seeing Eir FTTH rollout from what you are saying. Or is it possible there are houses dotted in that area who cant get +30Mb speeds from FTTC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mc Love wrote: »
    There was an NBI SUV outside my house just there - probably doing some surveying. Any idea what the surveying entails as they didnt get out of the vehicle.

Now there's a tli truck and NBI truck - should I be getting excited?

Its weird because Eir (KN Circnet) were here in May installing fibre)

Advertisement