Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

There have been road resurfacing works in drombanna Limerick for the last week. Today the works for the resurfacing are gone and now the cones have signs on them that say NBI and I think TLI.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They've told me that there is fiber in the chamber (but the chamber is full of water) - cant understand why we havent been connected yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Hmmm, I'm in the Julianstown area of Meath, survey said 2022 but I've just seen a KN Circet truck with some new Poles at the end of my road. Wonder what that's about.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

NBAiii wrote: »
    Would it be possible for you to upload a picture of the box on the pole? It sounds like it might be an openeir distribution point. They are building in urban areas at the moment so it would make sense. Any premises currently receiving a service over 30Mb/s is not going to be covered by NBI.

Sure ill get one tomorrow in daylight.There is one on roughly every second pole along with the new fiber cable. And as per your last line that would have been my understanding and i was surprised when surveying began in my area just outside Carrigaline last March ,checked the NBI website and yep im down for connection between december to feb. All the work is being done by KN on behalf of NBI ( I had a burst waterpipe to prove it) so unless im really unusal and the whole village is with FTCC we are getting 500mb from a paltry 100mb via NBI

joe123 wrote: »
    Do you show as being in the intervention area on the NBI map? https://nbi.ie/

Sounds more like you could be seeing Eir FTTH rollout from what you are saying. Or is it possible there are houses dotted in that area who cant get +30Mb speeds from FTTC?

No funny EIR FTTH stops in one direction about 2 KM away . this happened about 3 yeaars ago where it actually wouldnt have been much effort for them to carry on and do the whole place. Could be more likely the second but its a small village not huge in size or population with two FTTCs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Mc Love wrote: »
    There was an NBI SUV outside my house just there - probably doing some surveying. Any idea what the surveying entails as they didnt get out of the vehicle.

This from a Dáil reply earlier this week on surveying
    Surveys have commenced in ...
    This activity involves physically walking the routes and documenting images, notes and measurements of the poles, cables and underground ducts in each area. This is informing design solutions for provision of the fibre network. This detailed design is then used to initiate the ‘make ready’ project with eir for the area, where eir ensure any poles and ducts being reused are fit for purpose. It is also used to initiate works with the subcontractors deploying the actual fibre in the area.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2020-11-11/42/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Wing126 wrote: »
    Hmmm, I'm in the Julianstown area of Meath, survey said 2022 but I've just seen a KN Circet truck with some new Poles at the end of my road. Wonder what that's about.

Whats the survey time frame on the nbi website for you? Just curious to see what the latest survey to estimate rollout date is.

Those of us in counties already surveyed but not in the first batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

joe123 wrote: »
    Whats the survey time frame on the nbi website for you? Just curious to see what the latest survey to estimate rollout date is.

Those of us in counties already surveyed but not in the first batch.

Jan-March 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Jan-March 2022

Wow ok, furthest date out ive seen yet.

Time frame when this started was 5-7 years. As we are now effectively coming up on year 1, its 4-6 years.

I mentioned a while back NBI told me all surveying was scheduled to be completed early 21 but with roughly only 1/4 or is it 1/5th of surveying done so far, I suspect this will be way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Jan-March 2022

An earlier working assumption from this map below was that colour coding (very roughly) referred to year of roll-out. From other posts it looks like 'roll-out' trails 'survey' by about a year.
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1h1fSHXa6-cHDuEvBb52AupxYBQnNRtbq&ll=53.5%2C-7.5&z=7

So, from map
    green roll-out 2020-2021
    grey roll-out 2021- 2022

other colours not known.

btw if anybody is a constituent of Cathal Crowe TD they might ask him if he ever got the promised response from Eamon Ryan concerning the roll-out schedule, and if he'd care to share it.

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by NBAiii View Post
    Would it be possible for you to upload a picture of the box on the pole? It sounds like it might be an openeir distribution point. They are building in urban areas at the moment so it would make sense. Any premises currently receiving a service over 30Mb/s is not going to be covered by NBI.

pictures (bad quality ) of junction box and fiber cable

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

danny004 wrote: »
    pictures (bad quality ) of junction box and fiber cable

Thanks for those! It is much appreciated.

That is not fibre cable. It is duct for cable and generally you would not see it when they are finished installing it. So for it to be left in a coil like that suggests that there is more work to be done. Is there any smaller diameter cable emerging from the end of that coil of duct?

The distribution point on the pole is likely belonging to eir, unless NBI have decided to use the exact same 3m enclosures as eir which I suppose is possible.

Most likely what has happened is NBI have started work in the area but eir have gotten there before them and will likely launch service before NBI.

KN would have done the work for eir also which makes it even more confusing to follow what is going on.

yeah you are correct its the conduit . i took that picture two weeks ago. since then the fiber has come to the pole overground from one side down the pole through the conduit and crosses the road underground (as i say they burst my waterpipe doing it ). Reason I showed that was that it had NBI written on It as there was some doubt if i was looking at a EIR FTTH.
    I think on my daily walk ive seen some short length of fiber discarded if so ill get a picture of it.

Reason I showed that was that it had NBI written on It as there was some doubt if i was looking at a EIR FTTH.
    I think on my daily walk ive seen some short length of fiber discarded if so ill get a picture of it.

If you can take a pic that includes the cable details like the one I took of the open-eir fibre cable a few years ago, that would be great

The company, NBI Infrastructure, are rolling out the network while a separate company, NBI Connect, will be making the connections to the premises I believe.

Follow up article on the Minister's comments in the Dáil on the initial rollout in Carrigaline - Carrigaline customers to get online in January under National Broadband Plan - Irish Examiner
    Minister for Environment, Climate and Communications (Deputy Eamon Ryan): The next step is for National Broadband Ireland, NBI, to develop the network designs to deliver to the house. One does the survey first and then connects into the house. Work has already started in counties Cork, Galway, Limerick and Cavan and the fibre connection will be in the first houses in Carrigaline before the end of the year. From the end of January, retailers will be able to resell the service in those areas, so we will be up and running.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2020-11-10/speech/286/
    Minister for Environment, Climate and Communications (Deputy Eamon Ryan): Of this figure, some 16,432 premises have been surveyed to date in Cork. This activity informs design solutions for the provision of the fibre network, and NBI crews have started initial works for the build covering approximately 4,000 premises in the Carrigaline area, including Cullen, Templebreedy, Carrigaline, Ballyfoyle, Douglas, Ballyphehane, Glasheen, Mahon, and Kilpatrick. The first fibre to the home connections are expected next month and they will be subject to technical testing and validation prior to a wider release of the area. I am advised that, from the end of January, retailers will be able to resell the service and householders in these areas will be able to order high-speed broadband provided via the NBI network.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2020-11-10/speech/322/

The Cush wrote: »
    Follow up article on the Minister's comments in the Dáil on the initial rollout in Carrigaline - Carrigaline customers to get online in January under National Broadband Plan - Irish Examiner

The journalist must read here!

yeah you are correct its the conduit . i took that picture two weeks ago. since then the fiber has come to the pole overground from one side down the pole through the conduit and crosses the road underground (as i say they burst my waterpipe doing it ). Reason I showed that was that it had NBI written on It as there was some doubt if i was looking at a EIR FTTH.

Would it be possible for you to PM me an Eircode or Eircodes of premises that you say are currently getting upto 100Mb FTTC and now have those distribution points outside? It doesn't have to be your own Eircode if you are concerned about privacy.

Enter your townland on https://finder.eircode.ie/#/ , click 'Search' then 'Find on Map' and zoom in on the property red dot then 'Get Eircode'.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

So the NBI crew ended up not doing anything on my street as the fiber is already there. Not sure where to go from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Mc Love wrote: »
    So the NBI crew ended up not doing anything on my street as the fiber is already there. Not sure where to go from here.

Dafuq?

Are you in the IA?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

It looks like they are surveying around Athenry at the moment. NBI signs up on the roadside and a van driving around the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

What side of Athenry? Out towards Cregmore direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

No, out past Teagasc on the way to Derrydonnell/Oranmore.

The Oireachtas communications committee is meeting today at 11:30 in Committee Room 4 to discuss NBI roll-out.
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/cr4-live/

Chairman Kieran O'Donnell has been tweeting.
    https://twitter.com/kodonnellLK/status/1328828601089847296

Barmy logic here from Kieran O’Donnell TD and Joe Carey TD

Apparently people within, or close to, blue areas should be prioritised because it’s "very hard for them to stomach" their neighbours having it and themselves not.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Yeah, they seem to not have a clue what they're on about, just want to know why you can't connect to the same box that your neighbor can connect to. The NBI reps must want to bang their heads off the table

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Interesting to watch Timmy Dooley pressing NBI to give clearer indications (database) to informing premises in the IA as to when they will actually get connected. Not a fan of him usually but he is clearly making the point that people need a more detailed time plan for when the roll out will be available in each area.

Hendrick: As they go through 2021 they will be able to give more deterministic timelines between survey and final connection. No information available for premises more than 18 months out (They're still learning basically). Plans to do a national door drop in the next 10 weeks.

Michael Lowry really getting into it about why, where Eir Fiber exists within stones throw of IA premises, NBI aren't approaching Eir to come to a commercial agreement to prioritise connections to homes/businesses in such gaps/black spots. Hendrick said they will look into it as part of their plans to accelerate the rollout but points to the fact that they have to future proof and provide SLA under the contract.

Hendrick: 800 people out there buildling the network, plans to add 1000 more.

Retail service providers brought on-board to date: Vodafone, Viatel, Airspeed, Ripplecom

Jim

https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/
    Deployment Area|Status of Deployment Area|Anticipated Date for Connection|Premise Number
    Carrigaline|Network Build In Progress|December 2020 – February 2021|4,615
    Cavan|Network Build In Progress|February 2021 – April 2021|3,738
    Galway|Network Build In Progress|January 2021 – March 2021|3,502
    Ballinasloe|Network Build In Progress|May 2021 – July 2021|3,307
    Limerick|Network Build In Progress|May 2021 – July 2021|4,075
    Castlebar|Survey Underway|August 2021 – October 2021|2,139
    Dundalk|Survey Underway|August 2021 – October 2021|2,770
    Killarney|Survey Underway|August 2021 – October 2021|3,382
    Monaghan|Survey Underway|August 2021 – October 2021|4,355
    Mullingar|Survey Underway|August 2021 – October 2021|4,109
    Roscommon|Survey Underway|August 2021 – October 2021|3,591
    Sligo|Survey Underway|August 2021 – October 2021|2,513
    Tralee|Survey Underway|August 2021 – October 2021|3,167
    Wexford|Survey Underway|August 2021 – October 2021|3,745
    Kilcoole|Survey Underway|July 2021 – September 2021|2,836
    Drogheda|Survey Underway|October 2021 – March 2022|4,173
    Ballina|Survey Underway|September 2021 – February 2022|2,678
    Waterford|Survey Underway|September 2021 – February 2022|6,358
    Blessington|Survey Underway|September 2021 – November 2021|4,959
    Carlow|Survey Underway|September 2021 – November 2021|3,544
    Tipperary|Survey Underway|September 2021 – November 2021|3,316

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

clohamon wrote: »

I went looking for this after yer wan mentioned it as well, this seems to be as out of date as the map is for some people - some of the counties theyve announced (on Twitter) as being under survery aren't on it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

westyIrl wrote: »
    Interesting to watch Timmy Dooley pressing NBI to give clearer indications (database) to informing premises in the IA as to when they will actually get connected. Not a fan of him usually but he is clearly making the point that people need a more detailed time plan for when the roll out will be available in each area.

Maybe if Dimmy Tooley and his band of muppets weren't doing their damndest over the last couple of years to hinder progress we'd all be connected by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Orebro wrote: »
    Maybe if Dimmy Tooley and his band of muppets weren't doing their damndest over the last couple of years to hinder progress we'd all be connected by now.

To be fair after watching it, I did feel bad for Peter Hendrick having to answer numerous uninformed and loaded questions. The likes of why won't they prioritise and use OEir Fibre when it's only a few metres away, why they won't prioritise black spots/gaps. The chairman, at the end of the meeting, stating that they will be writing to the NBI in relation to blue areas summed up the ignorance.

I wouldn't have Hendrick's patience.

Jim

Advertisement