Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

An estate near me, all still marked in the IA but I know for a fact eir since rolled out ftth to half the houses there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

joe123 wrote:
    An estate near me, all still marked in the IA but I know for a fact eir since rolled out ftth to half the houses there.

they have been making moves on fringe areas of the IA from the moment the contract was signed

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

The Cush wrote: »
    Coincidentally I was on the N24 on Fri afternoon and at the Limerick city side of Boher village there were a couple of lads digging holes beside the N24 with rolls of clear fibre ducting close by, no signage indicating NBI or similar. Last week they were also running ducting on a rural road out of Boher beyond the church.

Castle-Erkin is further out the N24, so they could've be laying the duct for that route.

Caherconlish, just south of the N24, from where the lads were today, is one on the first areas in Limerick where initial NBI build works have started with availability May 2021 - July 2021. Ballyneety in Jofspring post is to the west of Caherconlish, with a similar availability date.

I would not be as familiar with these areas as you are, I'm just going off a map, but looking at Ballyneety the cable for there actually comes out of Limerick underground on the R511, splits in two at Ballysheedy Cross, then a mix of underground and overhaead through Bawnmore and on to Ballyneety.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Are there more houses beyond your parents in law that are still in the IA and unserved by open-eir fibre?

Not sure, I only know themselves and their close neighbours have signed up to eir recently. They are in Donoughmore, Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Jofspring wrote: »
    Someone needs to point him immediately to my parents in law. They were in the IA. NBI started serveying the area and within a few weeks Eir offered them 1Gb broadband and had them connected 3 weeks later despite the fact they spent years working off 1mb

I'm in the same locality, in the IA and Eir (Circnet/KN) installed Fibre in May and NBI came to lay the fibre and took a look and saw there was fibre installed.

Not a peep from Eir or on the checker to say we can get it installed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Mc Love wrote: »
    I'm in the same locality, in the IA and Eir (Circnet/KN) installed Fibre in May and NBI came to lay the fibre and took a look and saw there was fibre installed.

Similar question, has eir run fibre to the end of the your area or is there premises beyond yet to be served by NBI fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

I messaged them on Facebook about east cork and it looks like it was an error they said they are currently surveying the area at the moment and it will be updated accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Similar question, has eir run fibre to the end of the your area or is there premises beyond yet to be served by NBI fibre

Yeah they've run all the area from what I can see but NBI havent done anything because of the fiber being installed by Eir so I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Nolars wrote: »
    I messaged them on Facebook about east cork and it looks like it was an error they said they are currently surveying the area at the moment and it will be updated accordingly.

Yeah, I was in to them as well and pointed out that it was the entire east cork area all the way back in to the city, they said the would get back to me, bit havnt heard back yet (this was all via Twitter).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Yeah, I was in to them as well and pointed out that it was the entire east cork area all the way back in to the city, they said the would get back to me, bit havnt heard back yet (this was all via Twitter).

Looks like it was an error not sure if for everyone tho. They said they have passed it onto the IT team. Typical was too good to be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/arid-40088036.html

Article says that the first houses in Cork will be connected in December but retailers can't sell the service until February? Seems like a big delay between having the network ready and being able to connect

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

TheSegal wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/arid-40088036.html

Article says that the first houses in Cork will be connected in December but retailers can't sell the service until February? Seems like a big delay between having the network ready and being able to connect
    December is the soft launch mentioned earlier this year just to validate their systems before the full launch to retail customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Ah fs that's a bit of a disaster, was hoping to be connected and all in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Ah fs that's a bit of a disaster, was hoping to be connected and all in December.

have to feel sorry for you not getting connected in December when others dont have any idea of when they are going g to be connected :pac:

fergus1001 wrote: »
    have to feel sorry for you not getting connected in December when others dont have any idea of when they are going g to be connected :pac:
    I just don't think they should have put it down as December to February when we're not getting connected in December or January.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I just don't think they should have put it down as December to February when we're not getting connected in December or January.

But they haven't. There's a soft launch a bunch of people will get service December ,That's what soft launch means.

listermint wrote: »
    But they haven't. There's a soft launch a bunch of people will get service December ,That's what soft launch means.
    Network Build in Progress
    Your premises is in the Intervention Area. We are actively working in your area to deliver high speed fibre broadband! It is anticipated that high speed fibre broadband will be available in your area within the date range below.*

Date:December 2020 - February 2021

But it won't... It'll be available in February.

Network Build in Progress
    Your premises is in the Intervention Area. We are actively working in your area to deliver high speed fibre broadband! It is anticipated that high speed fibre broadband will be available in your area within the date range below.*

Date:December 2020 - February 2021

But it won't... It'll be available in February.

Do you understand range... Ffs. First world problems it says February in it.

Come back to me when your going to be connected in 4 years time....

listermint wrote: »
    Do you understand range... Ffs. First world problems it says February in it.

Come back to me when your going to be connected in 4 years time....
    Why are ya getting so upset? They should have said January-March for everyone who is listed for connection in February. Not December.

Why are ya getting so upset? They should have said January-March for everyone who is listed for connection in February. Not December.

Why ?

Some people are on the soft launch they will be connected .

And it also says anticipated you left that out when you bolded it..

Why are you so upset about getting option of fibre into your home which can be counted in weeks and not years.

Perplexing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

_Puma_ wrote: »
    We are located in North Galway. Our area was surveyed during the summer and we have a date Jan2021-Mar2021

Hedge trimming was carried out today, They were trimming along existing telecom Pole route(A few poles were replaced over the summer). Have the draw wires all ready to go on the last pole to our property. The final 100m will be via a telcom duct we placed according to the the Eir specification that can be found on their website. Hoping its the signal that pulling the Fibre along the pole is the next step. We are circa 500m to the the nearest existing Eir box, so we just missed out initially. KN confirmed about 6 months ago that we can only get it via NBI.

Just an update to this, Fiber cable was pulled today past our nearest poll. KN Circuit working on behalf of NBI.

Is it proper black fiber cable or just the white/yellow/whatever color that they are working with? Can't remember what some poster said earlier in the thread about the type of cable that's used between DP points for fiber connections. Really good sign in Galway though, no sign of them trimming hedges or running fiber cable on poles near Oranmore yet

Yes proper Black Fiber cable. There was a huge Coill of the stuff in the KN van. I could see the optical cable terminator on the coil on the pole at the end of the run also.

Class, really good sign to see that happening in the county! Hoping that when kn finish laying duct nearby (feels like they've been working on it for an eternity) that they will start hanging the cable. Something to look forward to in the new year!

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Yes proper Black Fiber cable. There was a huge Coill of the stuff in the KN van. I could see the optical cable terminator on the coil on the pole at the end of the run also.

Great to see for sure. I'm actually looking forward to the first person in here popping up a FTTH speed test. Dont ask me why :pac:

Im only 10km away from this Galway rollout, but unfortunately I'm very much stuck in the void of "Premises pending survey".

I asked before but no one answered at the time, does it always work outward from the various OLT locations? So for example you could have Puma above just on edge of receiving this Fibre rollout, but his neighbour down the road may be tied to a different OLT?

- OLT Location = 30km radius
    - Then they begin work on a brand new OLT and rinse and repeat?

Or could NBI, then continue rolling this specific Fibre further onwards at a later date?

It seems to be the case that you're tied to a particular rollout. My brother is 550m away from me and is part of another rollout from Athenry while mine is coming from Oranmore. He emailed NBI and they gave him the generic response of the area has not been surveyed yet and will happen in the future, while mine is due to be connected in January-March 2021 timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Flat out in the Ballinasloe area for the last couple of weeks.

Working in the Kilclooney/Derrymullen/Killure/Ahascragh areas. Installing sub-duct at transition points, cutting back trees, clearing blockages etc.

534038.JPG

Open Eir following tidying up their own cables.

joe123 wrote: »
    Great to see for sure. I'm actually looking forward to the first person in here popping up a FTTH speed test. Dont ask me why :pac:

Im only 10km away from this Galway rollout, but unfortunately I'm very much stuck in the void of "Premises pending survey".

I asked before but no one answered at the time, does it always work outward from the various OLT locations? So for example you could have Puma above just on edge of receiving this Fibre rollout, but his neighbour down the road may be tied to a different OLT?

- OLT Location = 30km radius
    - Then they begin work on a brand new OLT and rinse and repeat?

Or could NBI, then continue rolling this specific Fibre further onwards at a later date?

We would be right on the edge of a rollout so I'd say we are on one end and they will be working their way over to the rest of the rollout area . I suspected at first it was KN working on behalf of openEir tying up our road before NBI as we are roughly 500m to where they stopped a few years ago. Spoke briefly to the KN guys and they said they are working on behalf of NBI and it could be live after Christmas. They cable is hung completely separate to the existing openEir one already on the poles further up the road I could see this evening. They were making good progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sheesh, we are one of the last two areas to be connected and the service we have at the moment is getting worse. I can surf boards, just about watch a Youtube video, often patchily, but no chance of a Skype or similar voice call. Many years ago I did the 4 year wait for a phone!

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Sheesh, we are one of the last two areas to be connected and the service we have at the moment is getting worse. I can surf boards, just about watch a Youtube video, often patchily, but no chance of a Skype or similar voice call. Many years ago I did the 4 year wait for a phone!

Where you based? No one knows when theyl be connected unless you've been surveyed. Some of us could be waiting 6 years.

Advertisement