Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

_Puma_ wrote: »
    We would be right on the edge of a rollout so I'd say we are on one end and they will be working their way over to the rest of the rollout area . I suspected at first it was KN working on behalf of openEir tying up our road before NBI as we are roughly 500m to where they stopped a few years ago. Spoke briefly to the KN guys and they said they are working on behalf of NBI and it could be live after Christmas. They cable is hung completely separate to the existing openEir one already on the poles further up the road I could see this evening. They were making good progress.

Where are you based ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

TheSegal wrote: »
    Spoke to Digiweb about pricing for anyone connecting to the NBP network. They said it will be the same as the FTTH pricing rather than the slightly cheaper SIRO cost. Think it's around 55 a month for 500MB connection with a 2TB FUP policy, pretty reasonable.

https://digiweb.ie/nbi/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Some good news in our area, the crews are in doing prep work, look to be pulling the blue ducting underground,
    I'll keep eye to see how far into the estate they go, the whole lot I hope, a contractor I'd not seen around before
    WhiteKnight I think I spotted on the trucks, progress is good to see at least, gives hope they are on schedule
    for the timeline on NBI site

eir in before the Joint Committee on Transport and Communications Networks this morning at 11:30, live here.

Gap intervention areas are back on the menu again this week
    Speaking in advance of the meeting, Committee Chair Kieran O’Donnell, TD, said:"Last Wednesday was an opportunity to discuss much of the critical infrastructure associated with National Broadband Ireland (NBI). This week we will develop further the concept of connectivity, both broadband and phone connectivity with Eir, including their on-going problems in the handling of customer requests and complaints.

“On broadband, we will be questioning Eir regarding their on-going policy on the roll-out of fibre, including to “Gap” intervention areas, which are in close proximity to their own fibre broadband network. Following our questioning of NBI last week, we will be requesting Eir to engage with NBI to priortise the roll-out of broadband fibre to these areas, involving linking into their existing adjacent fibre network.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Does anyone really think anything is going to come out of this meeting with Eir and the Committee in regards the gap areas? I'd be happier if they grilled them over their history of incredibly bad customer service, continuing to bill people after ending a contract, needing to be threatened with Comreg to do anything consumer friendly, the list goes on!

I'll be tuning in regardless just to see what answers the Eir reps give to justify leaving the gap areas with no service. The cynic in me has always believed it was due to leaving just enough premises in some areas that no other provider would take on the job due to the cost involved so Eir could charge the government a fortune in the future to connect them all up. Which all fell apart when NBI won the contract.

Cheers TheCush for adding the link to Digiweb and the NBI plans. I have already signed up with them to transfer the connection as soon as possible when it is available in my area, hopefully get the €100 connection fee waived because of it since NBI said that they would absorb that cost for providers a few months back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

BobMc wrote: »
    Some good news in our area, the crews are in doing prep work, look to be pulling the blue ducting underground,
    I'll keep eye to see how far into the estate they go, the whole lot I hope, a contractor I'd not seen around before
    WhiteKnight I think I spotted on the trucks, progress is good to see at least, gives hope they are on schedule
    for the timeline on NBI site

I was wondering wether White Knight was a contractor for NBI. I seen them pulling ducting yesterday just outside Ardnacrusha Co Clare. Didn't realize at the time.

I was wondering wether White Knight was a contractor for NBI. I seen them pulling ducting yesterday just outside Ardnacrusha Co Clare. Didn't realize at the time.

Whiteknight, that's the name of the crowd I was trying to think of last week. Seen a van with a big spool of cable near Oranmore last week

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Does anyone really think anything is going to come out of this meeting with Eir and the Committee in regards the gap areas? I'd be happier if they grilled them over their history of incredibly bad customer service, continuing to bill people after ending a contract, needing to be threatened with Comreg to do anything consumer friendly, the list goes on!

A pretty salty shoot down of extending into gap areas by Carolan there lol and it looks like they're giving them a good grilling about the customer service.
    The cynic in me has always believed it was due to leaving just enough premises in some areas that no other provider would take on the job due to the cost involved so Eir could charge the government a fortune in the future to connect them all up. Which all fell apart when NBI won the contract.

Pretty sure myself that this is exactly the scheme they were trying to do. Full disclosure, I'm pretty salty myself since they stopped 900m away (even though they were already 10km out of the town at that point) and my mate down the road is getting gigabit down 100 up and 6 ping while I'm stuck on a WISP

Thats where I'm located, saw some Neville Civil about aswell doing similar, they had spools of actual fibre though

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

BobMc wrote: »
    Thats where I'm located, some some Neville Civil about aswell

Seen some of them around aswel. Good news for you. Hopefully you will be connected by the middle of next year.

• Advertisement

be delighted, May - July its showing

This committee with Eir and TDs has resulted in very little actual information other than Eir are completely out of touch with it's customers demands. Blaming problems on the pandemic but Eir have had terrible customer service for the last 10+years! Also saying that the average time to connect a query is under 10 minutes, what a load of bollox! Any time i've had to deal with them for my mother over the last 6 months it has been 40+ minutes to get connected

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

This committee with Eir and TDs has resulted in very little actual information other than Eir are completely out of touch with it's customers demands. Blaming problems on the pandemic but Eir have had terrible customer service for the last 10+years! Also saying that the average time to connect a query is under 10 minutes, what a load of bollox! Any time i've had to deal with them for my mother over the last 6 months it has been 40+ minutes to get connected

The hilarious part for me was when she openly admitted that they actually had some customer care reps quit their jobs over the summer because they didn’t have access to high speed broadband needed to WFH.

Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Decided to register my interest with digiweb today as they have a NBI page. Anyway got a call this afternoon from them looking to sign me up saying that they will have me connected next month! As I'm building and not moving in until next July I had to tell him I used my neighbours eircode. He said they were in the process of connecting people already...I'm based near Ballygarvan co.cork and the NBI site says i should be connected Dec 20 to Feb 21. I have seen them pulling underground ducting up the road from me recently and stopped to talk to them and they confirmed that they will be putting fibre up very soon.

Its happening :) pity I haven't moved in yet and I would have signed up there and then. First job tomorrow is get an eircode...even though I don't have a roof on yet.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

According to Michael Fitzmaurice TD, The work has been subcontracted 4 or 5 times, Each contract company taking a profit = Poor value for Money. Would love to know how much the company who actually do the work get versus what McCourt gets..

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Its happening :) pity I haven't moved in yet and I would have signed up there and then. First job tomorrow is get an eircode...even though I don't have a roof on yet.

Sounds like we will be living close to each other, I built 3 years ago and it took about 9 months before we got an Eircode - I wasn't able to speed it up at all.

IIRC Peter Hendrick at the Oireachtas Committee last week said an eircode wasn't strictly required to order an NBI connection, it should in the transcript of the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

djd80 wrote: »
    Sounds like we will be living close to each other, I built 3 years ago and it took about 9 months before we got an Eircode - I wasn't able to speed it up at all.

I think Eamonn Ryan? said something about working on getting eircode assignments done faster for the purpose of connecting broadband but not sure if that's a simple thing or something that would take a while to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

You can request an eircode when your house has a floor and the walls begin rising. You just email An Post who will then add it to a list to be added to a database. The incredible thing is the actual live eircode database is only updated 4 times a year, so you have to wait for that. It was just updated in mid November, so next update will probably be in Feb/March 2021.

Regrading the roll out, our eircode states that we are still pending survey. However, checking eircodes only 10km away and it states survey has been completed and has a connection date of end of 2021. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You can request an eircode when your house has a floor and the walls begin rising. You just email An Post who will then add it to a list to be added to a database. The incredible thing is the actual live eircode database is only updated 4 times a year, so you have to wait for that. It was just updated in mid November, so next update will probably be in Feb/March 2021.

Regrading the roll out, our eircode states that we are still pending survey. However, checking eircodes only 10km away and it states survey has been completed and has a connection date of end of 2021. :mad:

Thats an absolute shocker of a system. Is it still that 'C' crowd who manage it ?

• Advertisement

The Eir CEO mentioned yesterday that they may look into updating the eircode database every month rather than 4 times a year in the future. Not too hopeful of her following through on it but would be very helpful for everyone planning on building a house in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The Eir CEO mentioned yesterday that they may look into updating the eircode database every month rather than 4 times a year in the future. Not too hopeful of her following through on it but would be very helpful for everyone planning on building a house in future.

But Eir dont manage the database that would be them taking data from it to their own i presume.

Ah feck, just assumed they had some part in it after her response yesterday. Once again i've been disappointed by Eir!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Adrian Weckler covering NBP in deep dive discussion with head of NBI in his podcast tomorrow (Friday), should be interesting.

Of all the tech Journos, we should be grateful for Weckler, he has played a blinder with getting the facts out there on the NBP and cut through all the nonsense.

Orebro wrote: »
    Adrian Weckler covering NBP in deep dive discussion with head of NBI in his podcast tomorrow (Friday), should be interesting.

Of all the tech Journos, we should be grateful for Weckler, he has played a blinder with getting the facts out there on the NBP and cut through all the nonsense.

Link to the podcast page - https://soundcloud.com/the-big-tech-show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Orebro wrote: »

Recently yes, but it wasn't always that way.

https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/850481868868915200

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

clohamon wrote: »

https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/850481868868915200

Well he does say interim solution, but I get your point. He has been a force for good for the NBP though while remaining impartial, its great when a journo like him sees the bigger picture. He never got caught up in the 5G, Starlink etc nonsense as a solution for rural broadband. Complete vindication now with WFH.

clohamon wrote: »

I've always found him very positive towards the NBP and he did tweet that two and a half years before the contract was even signed "sometimes think 4g as an decent interim rural solution" in are area where there's no fibre within 50km. Maybe if he'd said 5g ... etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

The Cush wrote: »
    I've always found him very positive towards the NBP and he did tweet that two and a half years before the contract was even signed "sometimes think 4g as an decent interim rural solution" in are area where there's no fibre within 50km. Maybe if he'd said 5g ... etc. etc.

Yes it was a while ago, but there were no wireless bids in the running at that time. My forehead hit the desk in frustration - because he was so influential. I was sure that opposition politicians and the part time commentariat in Dublin would make hay with it.

I'd give him a lot of credit for being unequivocal recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

I contacted nbi about our house going from surveying underway with a date of Dec 20-Feb 21 to premesis pending survey with no date even though they’ve already been around surveying.

They said during a refresh of the status information for the online map that some of the deployment data was misaligned. So we’re back to square one even though the network is supposed to be built in the Carrigaline deployment area between December and February. Reminds me of waiting for Eir to bring fibre all those years ago, was so happy to see it go live in my area only to be told the nearest cabinet was over 2km away :pac:

Advertisement