Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Orebro wrote: »
    Adrian Weckler covering NBP in deep dive discussion with head of NBI in his podcast tomorrow (Friday), should be interesting.

This is up now.
    https://www.independent.ie/podcasts/the-big-tech-show/the-big-tech-show-an-in-depth-interview-with-nbp-ceo-peter-hendrickbig-tech-39798671.html

And still nobody has asked Hendrick about the colour coding on the map.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114442813&postcount=915

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

clohamon wrote: »

Gave up after 10 mins , Weckler was going around the houses about people who were not part of commercial or intervention areas.....

TimHorton wrote: »
    Gave up after 10 mins , Weckler was going around the houses about people who were not part of commercial or intervention areas.....

Yes a bit confused, but it seems the change from 537k to 544k is not just new build. If your blue area provider is unable to deliver 30Mb/s then the Department ask the providers to set out their intentions clearly - says Hendrick. It seems being more than 1200M (cable length) from a cabinet might be a key consideration in getting moved into the NBP.

The stuff about re-tendering blue area premises between 30 and 100Mbs to meet the EU 2025 targets was interesting.

....but I suspect most of that could be dealt with by an updated (and rolling) Universal Service Obligation based on completed NBP roll-out areas. Either Eir or NBI to be the provider. (USO is due for review next year)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

I contacted nbi about our house going from surveying underway with a date of Dec 20-Feb 21 to premesis pending survey with no date even though they’ve already been around surveying.

They said during a refresh of the status information for the online map that some of the deployment data was misaligned. So we’re back to square one even though the network is supposed to be built in the Carrigaline deployment area between December and February. Reminds me of waiting for Eir to bring fibre all those years ago, was so happy to see it go live in my area only to be told the nearest cabinet was over 2km away :pac:

not good news for east cork then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I contacted nbi about our house going from surveying underway with a date of Dec 20-Feb 21 to premesis pending survey with no date even though they’ve already been around surveying.

They said during a refresh of the status information for the online map that some of the deployment data was misaligned. So we’re back to square one even though the network is supposed to be built in the Carrigaline deployment area between December and February. Reminds me of waiting for Eir to bring fibre all those years ago, was so happy to see it go live in my area only to be told the nearest cabinet was over 2km away :pac:

So which refresh was the data misaligned ? The last one where they took us from a planned availability date, or the one that took us from the "pending survey" status in the first place ?

I know our area has been surveyed, so how can it actually become unsurveyed ? (East cork area also here, despite the username)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

TimHorton wrote: »

I have zero time for Weckler. He's a spoofer and too many put credence in what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

So which refresh was the data misaligned ? The last one where they took us from a planned availability date, or the one that took us from the "pending survey" status in the first place ?

I know our area has been surveyed, so how can it actually become unsurveyed ? (East cork area also here, despite the username)

‘Thank you for your interest in NBI.
    During a refresh of the status information for the online map data, some of the deployment area update was misaligned. This has been corrected and NBI can confirm that some townlands are being surveyed in your area. Once completed we will provide more specific updates for progression to build.
    If you have signed up for updates at www.nbi.ie/eoi you will be provide with this information for nearer the date.
    Please accept out apologies & thank you for your interest in the national broadband plan’

That’s the reply I received, it seems that the original map was incorrect and the current one is showing the real status which is confusing to me also as I talked to one of the surveyors on our driveway a while back so I have no idea how so many areas no longer show as surveying underway with no date. I know the network build is in progress one mile down the road from me in one direction and half a mile down the road in the other direction so it seems strange not to even have a date anymore.

I’m hoping it’s just a blip and the because the townlands around Carrigaline were supposed to be done by February so I hope they’re not starting the same rubbish that Eir was up to for years with pushing back the dates.

Thanks avenger, you just ruined my weekend :-(

It's a fairly big mistake though, the entire area, from yiughal through to carrigtowhill and almost back to the city has been reverted to pending survey.

Anyone interested in crowdsourcing a log ? (joe123)

Basically,

location: GPS coordinates from ordinary Google map ( *not your home*)
    activity: pending_survey, survey, build, connect
    date_of_activity:date
    source_of_info: whatever
    date_of_log:date
    logger: optional (boards username, if anything)

points could be colour coded according to activity and put on map and updated every few days

Max 10,000 points

eg https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tgYpjMRkk-9LMBPz4qEOWDZlTyzNp6XMvUOQu2yzJ20/edit?usp=sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sounds good. Count me in.
    Anyone interested in crowdsourcing a log ? (joe123)

Basically,

location: GPS coordinates from ordinary Google map ( *not your home*)
    activity: pending_survey, survey, build, connect
    date_of_activity:date
    source_of_info: whatever
    date_of_log:date
    logger: optional (boards username, if anything)

points could be colour coded according to activity and put on map and updated every few days

Max 10,000 points

eg https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tgYpjMRkk-9LMBPz4qEOWDZlTyzNp6XMvUOQu2yzJ20/edit?usp=sharing

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Sounds good. Count me in.

Good stuff. That link is open for editing.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tgYpjMRkk-9LMBPz4qEOWDZlTyzNp6XMvUOQu2yzJ20/edit?usp=sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

db wrote: »
    NBI have been laying cable here today from the road to the pole at the back of the garden. I had a chat with one of them and he told me they are laying all the off-road cable in the area and another team will be along to lay the cable along the road. Every one of them I have spoken to since the initial survey have said we should be getting connected around the end of the year. Still showing pending survey on the NBI site.

Poles being replaced on our road today. Hopefully the cable will be next. Still at pending survey on the he NBI site.

Hi,

Is there any chance when people are posting about activity, and talking to installers, surveyed etc, they could at least give an indication of what area they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Hi,

Is there any chance when people are posting about activity, and talking to installers, surveyed etc, they could at least give an indication of what area they are talking about.

Careful now or sergeant major dero will be along.....

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

....but I suspect most of that could be dealt with by an updated (and rolling) Universal Service Obligation based on completed NBP roll-out areas. Either Eir or NBI to be the provider. (USO is due for review next year)

So, we can hope the USO will be updated from its current 28k? :rolleyes:

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Careful now or sergeant major dero will be along.....

Eh? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭looksee

joe123 wrote: »
    Where you based? No one knows when theyl be connected unless you've been surveyed. Some of us could be waiting 6 years.

This list https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/ It says survey in progress. I am on the Waterford /Tipp border, I think I will be included in a Tipp area. I probably jumped to some conclusions looking at that list, I accept I am not following all the technical stuff, but it does suggest Feb 22. I have signed up for notification but have not heard anything.

So, we can hope the USO will be updated from its current 28k? :rolleyes:

It makes sense to do the fill-in with a USO rather than a new government intervention. If they roll it out in step with the IA deployment it won't cause chaos. But I agree that ComReg would probably be the main problem.

There might be a clue in how much time they leave for consultation before the end of the current USO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

clohamon wrote:
    There might be a clue in how much time they leave for consultation before the end of the current USO.

comreg arent worth a f**k I complained to them years ago under the USO, because Eircom at the time wouldnt install broadband because we had a split line and dial up was 8kbps

they did nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Just got around to listening to the Adrian Weckler interview with Peter Hendrick, just a few highlights

- Retail connections go live Jan 25th
    - 33 retailers already signed up
    - First 10 operators currently testing their networks at NBI's simulated network test lab in Citywest, due to complete 2nd week in Dec. Field testing follows (soft launch)
    - Backhaul network to Carrigaline, Galway and Cavan in place
    - Active Nokia equipment already installed, running and tested with some pilot connections in place
    - Nokia recently announced their exchange equipment is software upgradeable to 25 Gbps at a split ratio of 32:1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

The Cush wrote: »
    - 33 retailers already signed up

Presumably this means that WISPs are gonna be included. I didn't think there were that many providers in Ireland in total, even including the Voda/Virgin/Sky/Eir/Digiweb players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Would they count westnet as one even thought it's part of siro/Vodafone,could be a few that way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Pique wrote: »
    Presumably this means that WISPs are gonna be included. I didn't think there were that many providers in Ireland in total, even including the Voda/Virgin/Sky/Eir/Digiweb players.

Yup, there are plenty of regional ISPs re-selling Siro, so makes sense for them to offer NBP Fibre where applicable also. Win-win for those of us happy with our regional ISP and want to show some loyalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

There's 26 for a start. There are a good few more not listed there. I think there are something like 40 regional ISPs, mainly WISPs.

You'd have to question if there will be business for all of them when the big boys get involved and start selling below cost.

https://serviceregister.comreg.ie/Services/Search?q=
    Add filter... : ’Network Type’
    Search word: ‘Wireless’

Desperate times.

Back in July Mooncoin, Kilmacow and Mullinavat risked everything crossing the hazardous Suir river in hope of a fresh start and a new life in county Waterford.
    https://www.facebook.com/NationalBroadbandIreland/photos/a.100702381399599/188554625947707/?type=3

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

naughto wrote: »
    Would they count westnet as one even thought it's part of siro/Vodafone,could be a few that way

Westnet is what now? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Westnet is what now? :confused:

What heavydawson said

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

We're not a part of SIRO or Vodafone, we're an independent locally-owned business. We're a customer of SIRO, just as we're a customer of open eir, and we will be a customer of NBI. And yes, we've been actively engaging with NBI before they were called NBI, and we're going through the lab testing process and the rest of the onboarding as we speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

naughto wrote: »
    What heavydawson said

Yeah, I said they were a re-seller, they're definitely not a "part" of any larger ISP. More power to them.

Advertisement