Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

We're not a part of SIRO or Vodafone, we're an independent locally-owned business. We're a customer of SIRO, just as we're a customer of open eir, and we will be a customer of NBI. And yes, we've been actively engaging with NBI before they were called NBI, and we're going through the lab testing process and the rest of the onboarding as we speak.

What do you make of the Panellist requirement? How are you going to recruit participants? Will there be any incentive for the end-user to be a panellist? Will the end-user have access to the test results?

For those that are unaware NBI want each ISP to have monitoring equipment installed in a certain percentage of end-user premises. The device which has the following specifications:

533MHz Dual core QorIQ CPU
    512 MB DDR3 RAM
    64 MB Flash Memory
    2 x 1Gbps LAN interfaces
    5V DC Supply with PoE support

will run scheduled tests against a server in INEX monitoring:

TCP/IP Upload and Download speed
    Round Trip Latency
    Jitter
    Packet Loss

So something like a SamKnows box, however it is unclear whether the end-user will have access to the results.

Would people here welcome the device into their home network?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

NBAiii wrote: »

Lol nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Broadband body looks at fast-tracking rural internet using ESB network
    Existing electricity infrastructure could be used to roll out services quickly
    The semi-state might be about to re-enter a project it wanted but pulled out of the race for in 2017. What would it would mean for €€€ of NBP? Nobody's saying. - twitter

https://www.businesspost.ie/communications/broadband-body-looks-at-fast-tracking-rural-internet-using-esb-network-fe9b57a8?utm_campaign=article&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=web

Caveat: Most PO'D stories on NBP have no news value. Maybe someone with an BP account can confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

What do you make of the Panellist requirement? How are you going to recruit participants? Will there be any incentive for the end-user to be a panellist? Will the end-user have access to the test results?

For those that are unaware NBI want each ISP to have monitoring equipment installed in a certain percentage of end-user premises. The device which has the following specifications:

512 MB DDR3 RAM
    64 MB Flash Memory
    2 x 1Gbps LAN interfaces

Round Trip Latency
    Jitter
    Packet Loss

So something like a SamKnows box, however it is unclear whether the end-user will have access to the results.

I wouldn't have an issue with it in principle. Does it belong to the ISP or NBI?

I would of course put it into it's own VLAN with no internal LAN access and only the Internet access it strictly requires.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

I understand the motivation behind it. It leaves both NBI and the ISP with nowhere to hide when it comes to provisioning a network that actually delivers the required bandwidth and quality to end users, as opposed to the "up to" that currently plagues the industry.

We expect a significant percentage of our NBP uptake to be from existing wireless customers with whom we've built up a trust relationship over several years, so we'll probably hand-pick customers to approach about being a panellist. I don't see any realistic way to incentivise them other than to explain that they're contributing to the overall quality of the network, which is good for everyone. There's no particular downside to having a panellist device installed. I'd be happy to have one myself, but I'm not in the IA.

I'm not actually certain that we'll have access to the test results. If we do, we'll be happy to share them with the panellist, it seems only fair.
    Dero wrote: »
    I wouldn't have an issue with it in principle. Does it belong to the ISP or NBI?
    NBI.
    Dero wrote: »
    I would of course put it into it's own VLAN with no internal LAN access and only the Internet access it strictly requires.
    I don't think you get that level of access to the device. From the information I've seen, it's configured to talk only to its server and won't attempt to talk (or listen) to anything on your LAN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Pique wrote: »
    Lol nope!

If it got me fibre to me house faster, fkn sure I would :)

NBI.

Grand. I wouldn't have a problem with that (or an ISP like yourselves that engages in good faith). My current ISP on the other hand... Not that I'd ever be a customer of theirs once other options become available.
    I don't think you get that level of access to the device. From the information I've seen, it's configured to talk only to its server and won't attempt to talk (or listen) to anything on your LAN.

Yeah, I'd expect that. To be clear I meant I'd add a VLAN on my own network to put the device in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

clohamon wrote:
    Back in July Mooncoin, Kilmacow and Mullinavat risked everything crossing the hazardous Suir river in hope of a fresh start and a new life in county Waterford.

did you not hear it was annexed by Waterford after the match at the weekend ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

it's configured to talk only to its server and won't attempt to talk (or listen) to anything on your LAN.
    Without a privacy expert analysing the code to confirm, still nope.

If it's tracking your data speeds, then it can easily snoop on your data. If it's just a simple speedtest, then it doesn't need a standalone device. Surely the router can run that independently anyway.

Loadsa people have Siri/Alexa/Google home listening anyway so maybe it's a moot point.

Pique wrote: »
    Without a privacy expert analysing the code to confirm, still nope.
    That's absolutely your prerogative. It's entirely voluntary.
    If it's tracking your data speeds, then it can easily snoop on your data. If it's just a simple speedtest, then it doesn't need a standalone device. Surely the router can run that independently anyway.

First of all, the router is in a much better position to snoop on your data than a device on the LAN. Secondly, the router is the ISP's, not NBI's, and not every router is capable of speed testing.

Again: it's voluntary. I wouldn't dream of talking anyone into being a panellist if they were concerned about security. But I do think the suspicion is misplaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

512 MB DDR3 RAM
    64 MB Flash Memory
    2 x 1Gbps LAN interfaces

Round Trip Latency
    Jitter
    Packet Loss

No bother I'd put it in. Create a dedicated VLAN as others here have suggested. I've already got a Vodafone-branded Huawei 4G Mobile device already in the attic. What have I got to lose !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

I understand the motivation behind it. It leaves both NBI and the ISP with nowhere to hide when it comes to provisioning a network that actually delivers the required bandwidth and quality to end users, as opposed to the "up to" that currently plagues the industry.

We expect a significant percentage of our NBP uptake to be from existing wireless customers with whom we've built up a trust relationship over several years, so we'll probably hand-pick customers to approach about being a panellist. I don't see any realistic way to incentivise them other than to explain that they're contributing to the overall quality of the network, which is good for everyone. There's no particular downside to having a panellist device installed. I'd be happy to have one myself, but I'm not in the IA.

I'm not actually certain that we'll have access to the test results. If we do, we'll be happy to share them with the panellist, it seems only fair.

NBI. I don't think you get that level of access to the device. From the information I've seen, it's configured to talk only to its server and won't attempt to talk (or listen) to anything on your LAN.

It's good that you have that personal relationship with your customers. I wonder how the larger, faceless, providers will approach it. 1% of customers per point of handover could be a significant amount for Vodafone or eir (assuming they join).

It seemed to me, at first glance, to be another support headache for retail providers, as in you get blamed if the customer plugs it out and it's the retail provider that will be published on the draconian sounding "Defaulter List" for repeated breaches.

BandMember wrote: »
    Aren't you the ISP who were/are involved with Mayo G.A.A. TV?

I'm not aware of any relationship we have or had with Mayo GAA TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

I'm living in Shanbally, Carrigaline area. I got a call from Sky earlier today. They want me to be part of a six month trial for Sky/NBI 500mb ftth. They will send out a technician to run fibre from pole to my house and set up everything. Rep. said it would be setup before Christmas. No extra cost to me but would have to keep current bb but €10 off per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

marvsins wrote: »
    I'm living in Shanbally, Carrigaline area. I got a call from Sky earlier today. They want me to be part of a six month trial for Sky/NBI 500mb ftth. They will send out a technician to run fibre from pole to my house and set up everything. Rep. said it would be setup before Christmas. No extra cost to me but would have to keep current bb but €10 off per month.

Great stuff. Please keep us all up to date as things progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Great stuff. Please keep us all up to date as things progress.

Absolutely. I've been limping along with 10mb bb for years now so I am giddy ☺ with excitement for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Fantastic news, is it just your house or are your neighbors included too do you know? You can be the first of us to post a speedtest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

surveying has started in kildare again just beside where I live but not in my area

for ****** ***** you *****

fergus1001 wrote: »
    surveying has started in kildare again just beside where I live but not in my area

for ****** ***** you *****

I feel your pain :(. They're doing Athy now. First they were north of me, now they're south of me. So much for Curragh Camp being an OLT location. It may well be, but that doesn't seem to confer any advantage.

Based on the latest response I got from NBI, which roughly translates as "don't hold your breath", I'm just going to try to forget about it for a while. Not easy, but checking for updates all the time is pointlessly stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I hate you.

So there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Technical production test of high-speed broadband services prior to full commercial launch = Soft launch, promotional pricing - free connection and service rental on all orders placed within the Technical Production Testing event.
    Free Connection and Service Rental for Production Test Orders - Terms and Conditions

• Promotion applies to both Bitstream and VUA connections
    Promotion applies to orders placed by RSPs/WSPs and installed by NBI between 9th December 2020 and commercial launch of NBI Bitstream and VUA products.
    All connection and rental charges from commencement to completion of this promotion will be charged at the promotional pricing for the duration of this promotion.
    • Billing will commence on any Bitstream and/or VUA connections which remain active beyond the completion date of this promotion.
    All RSPs / WSPs will be restricted to a maximum of 20 orders during this testing phase.
    • Where an RSP/WSP is launching services through both APIs and Service Provider Portal, an additional 10 orders can be placed to ensure suitable coverage across both portal and APIs.
    • Any additional order placement is subject to advance agreement with NBI.
    Technical Production testing will comprise placing test orders on the live NBI production environment.
    • All orders placed should be considered live production orders and treated as such in relation to provisioning and support services.
    • All successfully completed orders will be considered live and remain active within the Operational Environment until such time as they are ceased by the originating RSP/WSP or as agreed otherwise with NBI.
    RSPs/WSPs will be notified of eligible premises for this promotion up to 30 days in advance of confirmed commencement of the Production Testing phase, via deployment file, to allow for recruitment of suitable premises candidates for Production Testing orders.
    Notification will include suitable Ribbon/OLT and associated Eircodes from which an RSP/WSP can choose from in order to secure suitable candidates for Production Testing order placement.
    RSPs/WSPs should provide suitable premises candidates to NBI prior to Production Testing order submission for review.
    • Promotion will be issued via monthly billing credit to allow RSPs/WSPs to validate their own billing solution.
    • Free connection and service rental will be displayed on the RSP/WSP bill as a promotional line item.
    • Credits will include any associated connection and rental fees for the duration of the promotional period.
    After the promotional period, all remaining active connections will be charged at published rental rates. Note, connection fees will not be charged for Production Testing connections after the promotional period.
    • The minimum term as specified in the Bitstream and VUA Reference Offer does not apply to Production Test connections.
    • NBI reserve the right to withdraw or amend this promotion or amend the promotion timelines by providing the relevant notice to RSPs/WSPs.
    • Free connection means eligible orders will avail of a €100.00 promotional discount on connection pricing.
    This promotion is provided to RSPs/WSPs strictly on the basis that a connection fee will not be charged to end users and also that there is service rental incentive passed onto the end user

The promotion implies that only these first few test connections will receive the €100 discount for connections to the network. Had assumed that everyone was getting a free connection to incentivise people to connect in the first few months

Edit: Nevermind, just read through the attached pdf of NBI promotions and it mentions re free connections: "This promotion relates to free connection for all orders placed on or after the commercial launch date of NBI Bitstream and VUA products and on or before 30th June 2021. "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

My wife passed two nbi/tli vans and a minidigger that were working yesterday near ballybricken church in Limerick. Not too far from Ballyneety where they previously were working.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Jofspring wrote: »
    My wife passed two nbi/tli vans and a minidigger that were working yesterday near ballybricken church in Limerick. Not too far from Ballyneety where they previously were working.

Work going on around Boher village also, hedge cutting underway earlier this week beyond the church. Also saw a Diffusion truck on the N24 outside Boher carry large rolls of fibre ducting and fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

KOR101 wrote: »

I find it frustrating that they are never asked specifically about houses pending survey. Will they be given an estimated survey date or just left waiting until whenever.

They obviously have an idea of what areas will be worked and when. If my area is to be surveyed in 2023 so be it, at least it will save me logging on each week to see no new updates.

All I ever get back from NBI or read in articles is, build work is now commencing in some areas in Galway.

Great but thats of little use to me seeing as I've been pending survey since January :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

joe123 wrote: »
    I find it frustrating that they are never asked specifically about houses pending survey. Will they be given an estimated survey date or just left waiting until whenever.

They obviously have an idea of what areas will be worked and when. If my area is to be surveyed in 2023 so be it, at least it will save me logging on each week to see no new updates.

All I ever get back from NBI or read in articles is, build work is now commencing in some areas in Galway.

Great but thats of little use to me seeing as I've been pending survey since January :(

My guess is that they don’t want to make that info available incase commercial operators use it to jump in and fill gaps and make the thing even messier.

I’m with you that’s it very frustrating not knowing when surveying will begin, would be happy if was just given a date whenever it may be.

rodge123 wrote: »
    My guess is that they don’t want to make that info available incase commercial operators use it to jump in and fill gaps and make the thing even messier.

I’m with you that’s it very frustrating not knowing when surveying will begin, would be happy if was just given a date whenever it may be.

That makes a lot of sense, if Eir see a housing estate is just finished at the edge of their network and an NBI date of 2023 they could probably justify expanding into the area. Bit of a tinfoil-hat thought I know but to me it makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

Saw a few nbi vans in gorey today and electricity cut off in courtown for siro I assume as esb are at the poles

abraham tree services cutting down loads of trees around the poles and wires it looks like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

joe123 wrote:
    Great but thats of little use to me seeing as I've been pending survey since January

I was talking to the engineer surveying our house last April we are still pending survey on the website.
    I've contacted NBI a couple of times since but always get the same generic answer, it's very frustrating as 5g is being rolled out and I'm told will be available soon. So I dont know whether to take up 5g or wait for the NBI

Advertisement