Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Orebro wrote: »
    and in one case in a row of 4 houses, the first 2 are confirmed by March 2021, next one says pending, then the 4th says March 2021!

If all 4 are on the same ribbon I wonder if the following applies
    NBI surveys every premises in the IA, however, it is not always possible to conduct a survey, therefore in some instances the premises will need to have a survey carried out by NBI ConnectCo.

Is it possible the low-level design team could not access the property for whatever reason when they were in the area and it will now be surveyed by the deployment team when an order is placed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The Cush wrote: »
    If all 4 are on the same ribbon I wonder if the following applies

Is it possible the low-level design team could not access the property for whatever reason when they were in the area and it will now be surveyed by the deployment team when an order is placed?

I'd imagine there will always be anomalies in a project this size. This is a property on the same road where I took the earlier photo of the advanced work.
    Every other house on the road is in the IA, except 5 at the far end that have eir FTTH. It's an empty farmhouse that never had BB.

535621.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

I'm seeing issues like that on my brothers road. All of the new builds made after 2015-16 are not in the intervention area yet every other older house on the road is. I've asked people living there if they get over 30mb and they said it's no where near that figure, same as everyone else in the area ~7mb. Wonder is it a case of eircodes not being updated for them after a build or something along those lines?

TheSegal wrote: »
    I'm seeing issues like that on my brothers road. All of the new builds made after 2015-16 are not in the intervention area yet every other older house on the road is. I've asked people living there if they get over 30mb and they said it's no where near that figure, same as everyone else in the area ~7mb. Wonder is it a case of eircodes not being updated for them after a build or something along those lines?

Hard to know. This is another local example.
    I know the area well and the owner of this house. It never ever had BB either.
    The entire row including this one can get 60/70meg eFiber from the cab around the corner.

535627.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

kaizersoze wrote: »
    The entire row including this one can get 60/70meg eFiber from the cab around the corner.

Cabinet may be full, 92 ports with no possibility of adding more?

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Cabinet may be full, 92 ports with no possibility of adding more?

Quite possible but it's a relatively small area.
    Where that happened anywhere else locally Eir 'converted the attic' in the cab so to speak but anything's possible I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Strettie11

How regularly do NBI update their website ?

Our house is showing Pending Survey even though this was completed in March20 and over the last 3 weeks they are installing fibre cable on telephone poles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Strettie11 wrote: »
    How regularly do NBI update their website ?

Our house is showing Pending Survey even though this was completed in March20 and over the last 3 weeks they are installing fibre cable on telephone poles :)

ours went from available dec 2020 to feb 2021 to pending survey , area is Cobh in East Cork , supposedly , hopefully ? a glitch in the system :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

We were surveyed (Co. Longford) in late August but it’s still showing as pending on the website. No sign of further work on the ground either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

Tony H wrote: »
    ours went from available dec 2020 to feb 2021 to pending survey , area is Cobh in East Cork , supposedly , hopefully ? a glitch in the system :(

not a glitch, it seems like the carrigaline roll-out data was incorrectly applied to large parts of east cork which has now been reverted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

BArra wrote: »
    not a glitch, it seems like the carrigaline roll-out data was incorrectly applied to large parts of east cork which has now been reverted

well back to dreaming then , looks like 5G with three will be here before the ftth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Well just got the worst news today.

A friend of mine was talking to someone within NBI and was told our Deployment Area Belclare (Galway) is currently down for Year 5. Nothing set in stone but said its "more than likely". So tail end of the rollout considering Peter Hendrick said they were hoping to have this done roughly in 5 years (reduced from 7 if they can)

Gutted, as I assumed year 5 rollouts would be very remote/ very rural areas. Considering Belclare covers some relatively built up areas and areas outside of Tuam and Galway City, I was expecting 2023ish. Build works finishing up just 10 minutes from me too.

Now I'm faced with having to pay a WISP 55 euro a month plus 100 euro install fee just to get marginally better speeds than my current 7Mb speeds, as I cant face another year on DSL speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

joe123 wrote: »
    Well just got the worst news today.

A friend of mine was talking to someone within NBI and was told our Deployment Area Belclare (Galway) is currently down for Year 5. Nothing set in stone but said its "more than likely". So tail end of the rollout considering Peter Hendrick said they were hoping to have this done roughly in 5 years (reduced from 7 if they can)

Gutted, as I assumed year 5 rollouts would be very remote/ very rural areas. Considering Belclare covers some relatively built up areas and areas outside of Tuam and Galway City, I was expecting 2023ish. Build works finishing up just 10 minutes from me too.

Now I'm faced with having to pay a WISP 55 euro a month plus 100 euro install fee just to get marginally better speeds than my current 7Mb speeds, as I cant face another year on DSL speeds.

Tbf though if you're were expecting around 23 . They you'd have to change to WISP anyway.

Decision made.

listermint wrote: »
    Tbf though if you're were expecting around 23 . They you'd have to change to WISP anyway.

Decision made.

Would have stuck with DSL on 30 euro a month if I knew I was Fibre bound in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Are the dates provided by the NBI rollout plan supposed to apply to all the premesis in a deployment area? I'm in the Carrigaline area which is supposed to be done by Feb 2021 and the map changed from surveying underway with a date of Dec 20-Feb 21 to premises pending survey with no date. I contacted them on Facebook but they just said they made a mistake originally when doing the map so it seems like they are already running behind schedule.

https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/

Would have stuck with DSL on 30 euro a month if I knew I was Fibre bound in 2023.

What not .. Get it back ??? If it was 2 years off in your estimate why did you turn it off ?

What not .. Get it back ??? If it was 2 years off in your estimate why did you turn it off ?

Turn what off? Get what back? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

wish i was getting 7mb

no sign of any surveys in donegal yet so i suspect we are at the backend as well wouldnt mind but we are 200 yards from eir fibre

Turn what off? Get what back? :pac:

You said you would have stuck with DSL which would imply you had it...

wish i was getting 7mb

no sign of any surveys in donegal yet so i suspect we are at the backend as well wouldnt mind but we are 200 yards from eir fibre

I hear you. My home house in Mayo gets a lofty 2Mb and there is ZERO WISP available. This is a house on a main road 3 miles from a town of over 2k.
    You said you would have stuck with DSL which would imply you had it...

No sorry, I still have DSL (contract finishing up in March). What I mean is, IF I knew Fibre was on the horizon (22/23) I would have stuck it out on 7Mb for those few years.

5/6 years is a whole other ball game though. Its just paying 55 euro a month for a service that will likely get me an average speed of 15Mb is hard stomach, but Uploads will come in at around 4/5Mb which I need for work as well as more stability if two users on at once / 1 single download doesnt cripple my speeds, as it currently does on DSL.

TL/DR : DSL ****, WISP not much better, Fibre far far away :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I hear you. My home house in Mayo gets a lofty 2Mb and there is ZERO WISP available. This is a house on a main road 3 miles from a town of over 2k.
    (

yeh wish i had thought about that when i bought my house in 1997

imagine wont install get a slightly better connection on a mobile router which at least allows the OH to work form home (i just come into the office 5 mins down the road in the town!)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

wish i was getting 7mb

There was surveys up in the northern parts of the county but none down my direction near donegal town itself unfortunately - I'm also just off the end of the eir fibre rollout.
    https://twitter.com/NatBroadbandIrl/status/1316082540713828352?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

joe123 wrote:
    5/6 years is a whole other ball game though. Its just paying 55 euro a month for a service that will likely get me an average speed of 15Mb is hard stomach, but Uploads will come in at around 4/5Mb which I need for work as well as more stability if two users on at once / 1 single download doesnt cripple my speeds, as it currently does on DSL.

spare a thought for myself who is stuck on 2mb download and .25mb upload

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

NBI and Govt have announced this morning the "acceleration" of the NBP with news that the 679 schools in the intervention area will get broadband by the end of 2022.

https://twitter.com/NatBroadbandIrl/status/1337019812187418630

I wonder have they realised that they cannot shorten the build to five years and have now decided to give ptp wireless connections to schools in an attempt to have something to announce.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

Nothing that extreme but I have noticed looking at the current works in Galway:

You can almost literally draw a line across half of Corandulla/Annaghdown and see the bottom half (closer to the city) with the Jan - March connection date, and then a stones throw up the road in the same village, Premises pending survey.

So I'm just assuming the OLT/DA for Galway extended as far as it can go and the houses further north are part of another DA? I was wondering if they would just extend the cabling to connect these houses but maybe those in the thread such as NBAiii can explain why its not feasible.

Will grab a pic later from the NBI map.

It's not feasible for a couple of reasons. Firstly, there is a distance limit to how far a premises can be from the OLT. It is about 30km for the equipment NBI are using. This is cable distance, not a straight line from the OLT to a premises.

Secondly, they will have designed the network into groups of premises or clusters with up to 32 premises in each (it's actually less than 32 but 32 is the headline number they use). The network will have been designed to maximise efficient use of resources for a given dispersion of premises. Unfortunately for yourself it seems to mean that you miss out on an early connection.
    kaizersoze wrote: »
    Hard to know. This is another local example.
    I know the area well and the owner of this house. It never ever had BB either.

The first example you gave should have been picked up in the survey. It seems pretty obvious if premises either side are in the intervention area. I'd be surprised if it's not included. The fact that it doesn't have an Eircode could be causing issues with the map.

Perhaps for the second example the fact that it never has had broadband would mean that a line test has never been run so it defaults to 7Mb/s I think. It may have ended up on some list of premises that are under 30Mb/s because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

TheBody wrote: »
    We were surveyed (Co. Longford) in late August but it’s still showing as pending on the website. No sign of further work on the ground either.

Balls. We were surveyed 4 weeks ago. I've been checking the website frequently to see an update from pending survey to eta of completion. If you're still pending after August I may stop checking :(

NBAiii wrote: »
    NBI and Govt have announced this morning the "acceleration" of the NBP with news that the 679 schools in the intervention area will get broadband by the end of 2022.

https://twitter.com/NatBroadbandIrl/status/1337019812187418630

I wonder have they realised that they cannot shorten the build to five years and have now decided to give ptp wireless connections to schools in an attempt to have something to announce.

God I really hope not. Those BCP's are such a load of ****e. An easy "make us look good" headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

North Cavan surveys, but the areas seem to be in the Clones DA.

https://twitter.com/cavancoco/status/1336993098732331010?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

East cork area updated now, expected delivery dec 2021 to March 2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

[PHP][/PHP]
    East cork area updated now, expected delivery dec 2021 to March 2022

im in east cork and it shows dec2021 to may 2022 since yesterday

Advertisement