Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

BArra wrote: »
    [PHP][/PHP]

im in east cork and it shows dec2021 to may 2022 since yesterday

Yep, my bad, I am showing the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

NBAiii wrote: »

I wonder have they realised that they cannot shorten the build to five years and have now decided to give ptp wireless connections to schools in an attempt to have something to announce.

Adrian Weckler adds...
    An unstated percentage will be wireless before end 2022, all will be fibre by end rollout plan.
    https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1337100380375748612[url][/url]

... so presumably they know which OLTs will be live by the end of 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

clohamon wrote: »
    Adrian Weckler adds...

... so presumably they know which OLTs will be live by the end of 2022.

There is no doubt they have a plan which would have an expected delivery date for every deployment area in the country. Whether this gets released to the public or can even be achieved is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Well looks like they’ve messed up badly already and they’ve only gotten started! My houses now says surveying underway again even though they’ve already been around weeks ago and the new date is Dec 2021- May 2022 even though I’m part of the Carrigaline deployment area which was supposed to be finished by Feb 2021.

There are houses where the network build is in progress and supposed to be finished by Feb next year in between two houses which have the new Dec 2021-May 2022 date, how does that even make sense?! So the Carrigaline area will take them 18 months to complete when it was supposed to be done in 3 months, it’s really like Eir all over again :pac:

Peter Hendrick is to address Clare county Council next Monday.

Perhaps not surprising after being grilled by Cathal Crowe TD, Joe Carey TD, and Senator Timmy Dooley at the recent Dáil Committee meeting.

Now Michael McNamara TD has weighed in.
    https://clarechampion.ie/broadband-black-hole-in-2021/
    When the National Broadband Plan contract was signed in 2019, Deputy McNamara recalled people were led to believe that they would be presented with a comprehensive and detailed schedule for delivery in this county.

However, this plan has not yet materialised and he hopes Mr Hendrick will provide clarity on the matter when he appears before councillors at their statutory monthly meeting.

Interesting to see if all the pressure makes any difference.

For the record T.J. Malone of NBI had this to say.
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/joint_committee_on_transport_and_communications_networks/2020-11-18/2/
    T.J. Malone: As Mr. Hendrick said earlier, just because we started in one county, it does not mean it is the only county. We bleed in across the boundaries. South Clare is up and running with 1,300 premises under construction in Clare. We feed back into Clare from Gort. In May next year, we will start to roll out in Kilkishen.
    T.J. Malone: We have 4,500 premises in Clare. Overall, there is approximately 22,000 premises across Clare which fall into the intervention area. Within the next six months or so, we will have 4,700 of those premises under construction.
    T.J. Malone: They have already been surveyed so they are going through the design process. The first 1,300 of these premises are under construction. When we go into construction it can take between six and nine months before they are ready for connection. The first 1,300 of them are now under construction and that started a couple of months ago. They should be ready for connection in June next year.
    T.J. Malone: The full 4,500 will become available for connection throughout the course of 2021 and at the very start of 2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Mr Hendrick - if you're reading this just extinguish the fire and release the estimated schedule by Eircode/deployment area - ballpark estimates are good enough - we're all grown ups and understand it can't be deployed to everyone at the same time so some of us will have to wait a while, and it will get the politicians off your back!

(I honestly believe at this stage NBI are afraid of the blowback if they release the dates, but I do think they're wrong in this regard).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

......it’s really like Eir all over again :pac:
    But SIRO did even worse. So, yes we're playing catch-up on the 7 year plan already. A cynic would have said 10 years would have been a good outcome even with the inbuilt realism of the plan.

The attempt to get to 5 years is very good news because if agreed it may mean 7 or 8 years is achievable.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Orebro wrote: »
    Mr Hendrick - if you're reading this just extinguish the fire and release the estimated schedule by Eircode/deployment area - ballpark estimates are good enough - we're all grown ups and understand it can't be deployed to everyone at the same time so some of us will have to wait a while, and it will get the politicians off your back!

(I honestly believe at this stage NBI are afraid of the blowback if they release the dates, but I do think they're wrong in this regard).

Colour me cynical, but I think you're wrong - we're not all grownups. Some of us, on hearing that our neighbours will be connected before us, will accept that no matter how a project like this is designed, there will be winners and losers. But others will lobby politicians to get the schedule changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

I don't understand why the government can't just keep out of the way of NBIs plan. People far more qualified than them have came up with a plan to connect houses throughout the country on a timeline agreed upon in the initial contract. TDs deciding that their constituency is more important is just going to delay things for everyone in the country.

TheSegal wrote: »
    TDs deciding that their constituency is more important is just going to delay things for everyone in the country.

Here's the Chairman of the Committee, Kieran O'Donnell, leading by example. ( and there's lots more)
    Chairman: When will the 19,500 [premises in Limerick] be connected?
    Mr. T.J. Malone: The 19,500 that are ongoing at the moment will be passed and available for connection over the course of the next nine months. They will come at various different parts.
    Chairman: In the next nine months, they will all be connected.
    Mr. T.J. Malone:They will be available for connection.
    Chairman: What about north Tipperary?
    Mr. T.J. Malone: In north Tipperary, we have Clonmel and
    Chairman: I am talking specifically about Newport, Ballinahinch and areas running into east Limerick. Will they be included as part of Limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Working flat out in the Deerpark/Derrymullen area of Ballinasloe today, Sunday, in the spills of rain rodding/clearing ducts and pulling in subduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Working flat out in the Deerpark/Derrymullen area of Ballinasloe today, Sunday, in the spills of rain rodding/clearing ducts and pulling in subduct.

Actual guys doing the work are earning a pittance , The work has been sub contracted 4 or 5 times , Joke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

TimHorton wrote: »
    Actual guys doing the work are earning a pittance , The work has been sub contracted 4 or 5 times , Joke

Are you echoing Michael Fitzmaurice on this? That was about the hedgecutters not the KN/Actavo/Siteserv guys who are doing the cabling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

NBAiii wrote: »
    There is no doubt they have a plan which would have an expected delivery date for every deployment area in the country. Whether this gets released to the public or can even be achieved is another matter.

100% they do. I mentioned the last day a friend of mine got talking to someone within the NBI and they confirmed the deployment area for Belclare (Galway) is not due for any work until Year 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

Here's the Chairman of the Committee, Kieran O'Donnell, leading by example. ( and there's lots more)
    "Mr. T.J. Malone:They will be available for connection."
    says it all lol -

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

TD's going to cause delays for planned areas by demanding they do their area.

GavoTrav wrote: »
    TD's going to cause delays for planned areas by demanding they do their area.
    What was the rationale to pick one area over another ? Did Government TD's get first dibs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

The usual excuses, remoteness, isolation, better service in NI, etc., etc.

OTOH, afaik, there is no body which supervises the actual rollout, or is there and what do they do, never mind how do they do it?

I expect it is left to the market, a la Thatcher. That means the urban TDs rule the roost and rural TDs scratch along like bottom feeders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Well,.if they avoided the tempation of objecting to every piece of vital national infrastructure in their county, and tried not to sabotage masts and stuff, they may have been in a better situation than they are now.

Sorry, off topic I know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

BarryM wrote: »
    The usual excuses, remoteness, isolation, better service in NI, etc., etc.

OTOH, afaik, there is no body which supervises the actual rollout, or is there and what do they do, never mind how do they do it?

I expect it is left to the market, a la Thatcher. That means the urban TDs rule the roost and rural TDs scratch along like bottom feeders.

Peter Hendrick said on Shannonside FM back at the start of the summer that they are branching off trunk lines and the closer you are to one the quicker you'll be connected.

Now as to why Cork, Galway and Cavan are gonna be the first places connected I have no idea. Its not population density or powerful TDs or Cavan wouldn't be in it. Denis Naughton (who deserves way more credit for getting this moving than he has got) is from Roscommon and we're looking at August-October 2021, so he hasn't got any great favour either.

They have to start somewhere though and low(ish) hanging fruit does have its appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Parkender

joe123 wrote: »
    100% they do. I mentioned the last day a friend of mine got talking to someone within the NBI and they confirmed the deployment area for Belclare (Galway) is not due for any work until Year 5.

They wont disclose dates though....sent an email to them with my eircode and got a load of waffle back with a small line saying they could not advise as the area has not been surveyed - South Dublin btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

I'm probably looking at a good while more of pending survey and a few years out from being passed by NBI and even if it falls to year 5/6 I'd prefer that to politicians interfering in the rollout for their own local benefit. NBI could only maximise savings by doing the roll out in the most cost efficient manner which involves minimising delays and connecting premises up as soon as they can to gather revenues. NBI should give as accurate a timeline for the rollout as possible but political interference would be a disaster.

Jim

Parkender wrote: »
    They wont disclose dates though....sent an email to them with my eircode and got a load of waffle back with a small line saying they could not advise as the area has not been surveyed - South Dublin btw.

Send an email to all your local TD's , I have , Only 2 has replied so far and they are doing 2 things for me.

1. Submit query to Department.

2. Submit Parlimentary Question on my behalf. The advise deadline for reply for this your passed on Monday and that they will have a response in early Jan.

The other TD has come back with a general update which is not specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

TimHorton wrote: »
    Send an email to all your local TD's , I have , Only 2 has replied so far and they are doing 2 things for me.

1. Submit query to Department.

2. Submit Parlimentary Question on my behalf. The advise deadline for reply for this your passed on Monday and that they will have a response in early Jan.

The other TD has come back with a general update which is not specific.

Political interference needs to be stopped wholesale

listermint wrote: »
    Political interference needs to be stopped wholesale

Why ?

For many people including myself it was the top item on the doorstep at the last election ,

Judging by your response I would imagine its likely that you already have a fast reliable broadband connection in your home.

Political interference has no place now, the plan is in place and updating it will just delay things for everyone. Make a change for one TD, then every TD will be along demanding their constituents get pushed up the line and it'll become another bloated mess project doomed to fail

TheSegal wrote: »
    Political interference has no place now, the plan is in place and updating it will just delay things for everyone. Make a change for one TD, then every TD will be along demanding their constituents get pushed up the line and it'll become another bloated mess project doomed to fail

Simple question , Do you currently have fast reliable broadband available at your home ? Yes or No will do.

• Advertisement

No, I have a 7mb line from Digiweb that drops about twice a day if more than one person is trying to upload anything on it. Does that satisfy your question?

I have a question for you, why is your constituency more important than others when it comes to broadband? Why should a TD be able to pull strings to get you faster speeds at the cost of others?

Advertisement