Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

TimHorton wrote: »

2. Submit Parlimentary Question on my behalf. The advise deadline for reply for this your passed on Monday and that they will have a response in early Jan.

Maybe if TD's weren't wasting theirs and the Dail's time on questions about individual's circumstances (and not just broadband) they could have done their job for the 600k+ users in the intervention area much earlier and be nearing the end of the NBI instead of just starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

TheSegal wrote: »
    No, I have a 7mb line from Digiweb that drops about twice a day if more than one person is trying to upload anything on it. Does that satisfy your question?

I have a question for you, why is your constituency more important than others when it comes to broadband? Why should a TD be able to pull strings to get you faster speeds at the cost of others?

Why not ? Initially all I want to know is an estimated timeframe , The current info is useless.

Premises Pending Survey
    Your premises is in the Intervention Area, and your locality and infrastructure will be surveyed as part of the national fibre network rollout.

Surveying is required to produce a detailed network design for high speed fibre broadband in your area. We will update you on a survey date in due course.*

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

You didn't answer my question, is your area more important than others? I answered your question about my broadband speeds. Your earlier posts had nothing to do with simple updates for your area from NBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Why not ? Initially all I want to know is an estimated timeframe , The current info is useless.

If NBI give and estimated timeframe, then people either take it as gospel or flip the lid cos it's 4-5 years away. It's a wise move to NOT provide this level of info cos until they are 100% confirmed with teams assigned etc, they'd be on a hiding to nothing.

The areas with an estimated connection were in a period of approx 12 months from when the site was updated for those areas. This means that 2021 is spoken for and if your house doesn't have a 2021 date on the NBI site by now, you'll be waiting till 2022 at the earliest.

Pique wrote: »
    If NBI give and estimated timeframe, then people either take it as gospel or flip the lid cos it's 4-5 years away. It's a wise move to NOT provide this level of info cos until they are 100% confirmed with teams assigned etc, they'd be on a hiding to nothing.

The areas with an estimated connection were in a period of approx 12 months from when the site was updated for those areas. This means that 2021 is spoken for and if your house doesn't have a 2021 date on the NBI site by now, you'll be waiting till 2022 at the earliest.

More waffle and pie in the sky , Surely for 3 billion they can provide a comprehensive timeline for the project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why ?

For many people including myself it was the top item on the doorstep at the last election ,

Judging by your response I would imagine its likely that you already have a fast reliable broadband connection in your home.

I currently have imagine broadband and use a secondary wireless provider as back up when I'm left in the lurch.

So no I don't.

There is no space for people like you trying to get their local TD to mess with the roll out .

You can wait like me and everyone else. I bought the house knowing the situation. I've dug up my driveway to feeding a conduit and drawline for when the NBP rolls in.

What have you done. Give details.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

More waffle and pie in the sky , Surely for 3 billion they can provide a comprehensive timeline for the project.

Another spoofer. Won't answer questions put to them. Thinks everyone that goes contrary to their beliefs has high speed connection and is solely interested in themselves.

Politicians have no business anywhere near this project right now.none.

listermint wrote: »
    I currently have imagine broadband and use a secondary wireless provider as back up when I'm left in the lurch.

So no I don't.

There is no space for people like you trying to get their local TD to mess with the roll out .

You can wait like me and everyone else. I bought the house knowing the situation. I've dug up my driveway to feeding a conduit and drawline for when the NBP rolls in.

What have you done. Give details.

I dug my trench 15 years ago and ran the cable myself , What I got was a 1mb DSL Connection. Imagine are unable to provide a service to me , I will badger politicians until I get a concrete timeline.

How would you react if you were one of the first houses in line to be connected and someone in another area decided to go whining to their TD about the NBP rollout and you got put down the list due to it?

Still have not answered my question by the way, is your constituency more important than others to be connected? Simple yes or no answer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

a 7 year project for over half a million premises and you want a comprehensive timeline???

Jesus wept!

You'd be lucky to get a timeline 12 months in advance....which we have actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Even if they had 10 billion they still couldn't envisage a timeline for when Mary that's 10km from the nearest exchange is going to be connected. Unfortunately, no amount of money will be able to predict what ducts are going to be blocked and what obstacles will be in the way (political or otherwise :D). Yes, a ballpark figure would be nice but this would still be used against them if they didn't meet these dates.

daraghwal wrote: »
    Even if they had 10 billion they still couldn't envisage a timeline for when Mary that's 10km from the nearest exchange is going to be connected. Unfortunately, no amount of money will be able to predict what ducts are going to be blocked and what obstacles will be in the way (political or otherwise :D). Yes, a ballpark figure would be nice but this would still be used against them if they didn't meet these dates.

I will reply in January when hopefully my Local TD will have an answer to her Parliamentary Question solely about my address .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Parkender wrote: »
    They wont disclose dates though....sent an email to them with my eircode and got a load of waffle back with a small line saying they could not advise as the area has not been surveyed - South Dublin btw.

The usual reps won't, I was the same and got the "sorry we don't have a timeline but make sure to sign up" spiel.

I got this info through a friend who knows someone higher up within NBI.

I'm gutted at the Year 5 timeframe for my area (and still hold out hope it will be pushed sooner), but at least I know what I'm looking at now and have stopped checking in on the website all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

I'm getting deja vu of the 1970/80s of paying P&T/Telecom Eireann a sizable chunk of dosh to put in a telephone line and contacting a TD to get the wait time down from 3 years to 2. Maybe it's a good thing the state didn't hang on to Eir after all. I can only imagine the stuff that would be going on in a state owned telco rolling out the NBP. :eek:

joe123 wrote: »
    The usual reps won't, I was the same and got the "sorry we don't have a timeline but make sure to sign up" spiel.

I got this info through a friend who knows someone higher up within NBI.

I'm gutted at the Year 5 timeframe for my area (and still hold out hope it will be pushed sooner), but at least I know what I'm looking at now and have stopped checking in on the website all the time.

I've been wondering if the rollout could potentially be accelerated based on capital generated. The uptake is bound to be higher than predicted initially during the contract due to WFH across the country, could allow for extra staff? Might be a pipe dream but would be fantastic for people at the latter half of the 5-7 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

I've been wondering if the rollout could potentially be accelerated based on capital generated. The uptake is bound to be higher than predicted initially during the contract due to WFH across the country, could allow for extra staff? Might be a pipe dream but would be fantastic for people at the latter half of the 5-7 years

WFH will become less of a factor in the rollout by summer next year when the vaccine has been rolled out to the majority of the population. While nice to have, it won't be _as_ essential to the discussion as it has been during the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Yeah honestly I dont think it will. A mate of mine had his estate recently connected and he was telling me that a large portion of people were happy with what they had, which is madness.

People will return to offices in the later part of next year and we will see demand drop off from the regulars. It will only be those like ourselves still pushing hard for it imo.

Im fully expecting 5 - 7 years to stay as is. And when you have TD's involved I wish I could say they will help push this forward, but honestly it seems to me none of them even understand the basics of this tech and will just cause more holdups than anything.

Honestly if you see the amount of giving out from people on Facebook during the NBI works on the Curraghline at the beginning of Christmas you would fear that this will only result in longer delays.

TD's, Councilors, General Public asking questions like - why are they working in December, Why cant they be designated 2 periods a year to work on the roads, why cant they work when other roadworks are planned.

Stone age craic because people dont like sitting in traffic.

joe123 wrote: »
    Yeah honestly I dont think it will. A mate of mine had his estate recently connected and he was telling me that a large portion of people were happy with what they had, which is madness.

People will return to offices in the later part of next year and we will see demand drop off from the regulars. It will only be those like ourselves still pushing hard for it imo.

Im fully expecting 5 - 7 years to stay as is. And when you have TD's involved I wish I could say they will help push this forward, but honestly it seems to me none of them even understand the basics of this tech and will just cause more holdups than anything.

Honestly if you see the amount of giving out from people on Facebook during the NBI works on the Curraghline at the beginning of Christmas you would fear that this will only result in longer delays.

TD's, Councilors, General Public asking questions like - why are they working in December, Why cant they be designated 2 periods a year to work on the roads, why cant they work when other roadworks are planned.

Stone age craic because people dont like sitting in traffic.

You make a lot of good points unfortunately! I'm hoping the company I work in will be open to WFH a few days a week in the future after seeing that productivity did not drop during the year.

The people contracted for hedge trimming just went by the house yesterday, absolutely massacred every hedge and bush under any overhead phone cables! No time for any subtle work!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

Cloverhill, Co.Cavan. Not at home myself but neighbour just told me NBI/Secto crew on our road again and it looks like they’re finally hanging the fibre cables.

There’s two crew - cherry picker that seems to be installing brackets on each pole followed by van with reel that has cable/conduit that’s being hung.

Not sure if the actual cable is hung or if it’s conduit for the fibre cable?

Some pics attached. Can anyone tell
    Me if it’s conduit or fibre cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

baz9375 wrote: »
    Cloverhill, Co.Cavan. Not a home myself but neighbour just told me NBI/Secto crew on our road again and it looks like they’re finally hanging the fibre cables.

There’s two crew - cheery picker that seems to be installing brackets on each pole followed by van with reel that has cable/conduit that’s being hung.

That is fibre cable. They don't string conduit across poles. Acome brand so the same as Openeir use. 24 fibres in that cable. The brackets are referred to as "curly wurlies". They wrap them around the cable to tension it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

NBI have updated their Rollout page. There are now a list of townlands for the first five areas and three more deployment areas listed, Midleton, Skerries and Portlaoise. Portlaoise has an estimated date of July - December 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

joe123 wrote:

I'll be WFH in the long term, i wont have it any other way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

NBAiii wrote: »
    NBI have updated their Rollout page. There are now a list of townlands for the first five areas and three more deployment areas listed, Midleton, Skerries and Portlaoise. Portlaoise has an estimated date of July - December 2022.

On the list for the Limerick rollout may - July 2021. Light at the end of the tunnel at last. Looks like everywhere in a radius of about 10 miles of Limerick is included.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭mun1

In co limerick and I’m told it will be May 2021 as they’re running ahead of schedule with prep works..
    Cant wait to get rid of the 2MB WISP service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Must larger nbi crew were out today just outside Ballyneety again heading in the Kilmallock direction. They were at a few spots along about a 1km stretch.

The townlands map would line up with where they are working.

NBI map still saying pending survey when you put in the eircode so hopefully that just needs to be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

NBAiii wrote: »
    My area in the Carrigaline district isn't in that townlands list despite being down for Dec 2020 - Feb 2021. Not sure if they've left some out or?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭BandMember

A lot of Limerick people on here with positive news (which is great to hear). No doubt Deputy O'Donnell will be all over local media claiming credit for it... ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

baz9375 wrote: »
    Cloverhill, Co.Cavan. Not a home myself but neighbour just told me NBI/Secto crew on our road again and it looks like they’re finally hanging the fibre cables.

There’s two crew - cheery picker that seems to be installing brackets on each pole followed by van with reel that has cable/conduit that’s being hung.

expect connect to home in 2 - 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

So the 2 year total according to the rollout page is 91,380 premises connected by Dec 2022. Is this not too low a number if they're going to connect 540,000 in 5 years? Presume there will be more connections added in that case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

daraghwal wrote: »
    thats why it should have been 5G towers and not the "green footprint jackboot"
    of miles of cable etc.
    the chinese firm has on market a tower that beats the rest giving 18 miles coverage
    with tests showing higher reliability than any in rest of world.
    politics and government GIVING away the network to private companies when
    complete is the usual rip off which even the sleepy head greens accept along
    with environmental impact.

Advertisement