Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

jelem wrote: »
    thats why it should have been 5G towers and not the "green footprint jackboot"
    of miles of cable etc.
    the chinese firm has on market a tower that beats the rest giving 18 miles coverage
    with tests showing higher reliability than any in rest of world.
    politics and government GIVING away the network to private companies when
    complete is the usual rip off which even the sleepy head greens accept along
    with environmental impact.

PFO with your bullsh1t! This myth that 5g is easier has been dispelled on here many times. It would require multiple times the number of masts we already have and these new masts and the current masts would need fibre uplink. And then there still would be areas that would be impossible to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

My area in the Carrigaline district isn't in that townlands list despite being down for Dec 2020 - Feb 2021. Not sure if they've left some out or?

I just double checked and my townland is still included in the Carrigaline deployment area but apparently we won’t be getting anything until Dec 2021-May 2022. How can they say Dec 20-Feb 21 for Carrigaline when it’s blatantly untrue?! I hope they work away in your area anyway and that you’ll have in the timeframe stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

PFO with your bullsh1t! This myth that 5g is easier has been dispelled on here many times. It would require multiple times the number of masts we already have and these new masts and the current masts would need fibre uplink. And then there still would be areas that would be impossible to cover.

Don't feed the trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

My area in the Carrigaline district isn't in that townlands list despite being down for Dec 2020 - Feb 2021. Not sure if they've left some out or?

What result does your Eircode give on the NBI site? I'd put more faith in the Eircode check than an arbitrary list of townlands.
    Orebro wrote: »
    So the 2 year total according to the rollout page is 91,380 premises connected by Dec 2022. Is this not too low a number if they're going to connect 540,000 in 5 years? Presume there will be more connections added in that case?

It seems way too low. I'd expect more areas to be added for 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

From a recent NBI document, there will be an option of an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) from NBI via your RSP
    The deployment of high-speed fibre broadband to households and businesses represents a change to the method with which some services are provided. One such change is the provision of voice services through Voice over IP (VoIP). Unlike standard telephony, which is powered remotely via the local telephone exchange, VoIP services are powered locally at the premises therefore backup power would be required in order to sustain service in the event of a power outage.

The UPS Product is designed to meet the broadband support needs and service expectations of both consumer and business end users as It enables effective service continuity of broadband and any associated VoIP service in the event of a power outage, providing power and continuity of service to both the ONT and the RSP/WSP CPE.

The UPS provides battery backup power to enable ongoing broadband and VoIP access for between 1-2 hours depending on ONT and CPE power consumption which, NBI expect, would provide broadband and VoIP service continuity through a typical short-term power outage. Note, connection of ancillary services such as laptops or computers etc to the UPS device will severely impact the power consumption and will lead to a reduction in the battery backup usable time. By way of example, the same UPS capable of keeping a desktop computer and monitor on for 15 minutes will likely power an ONT and modem (exclusively) for between one and two hours.

From a practical perspective, the UPS will have transformer-block spaced outlets which ensures that the ONT and CPE devices can be plugged in straight out of the box with no rewiring required.

The UPS will be made available to RSPs/WSPs as an orderable item as part of a Bitstream or VUA order and will also be made available as a standalone service where the UPS can be posted to the end-user directly from NBI. Note, this service will not be made available as a standalone installation order in the absence of a Bitstream or VUA order. Note, while the specific UPS unit is subject to change, the below section outlines the approximate specification which will be provided.

The product proposed for supply by NBI to RSPs/WSPs is detailed in the link below:
    https://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MME270D190

NBI Wholesale price €150 +VAT
    Retail price on Elara €92.38 incl. Vat (APC Easy UPS BV BV500I-MS)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

jelem wrote: »
    thats why it should have been 5G towers and not the "green footprint jackboot"
    of miles of cable etc.
    the chinese firm has on market a tower that beats the rest giving 18 miles coverage
    with tests showing higher reliability than any in rest of world.
    politics and government GIVING away the network to private companies when
    complete is the usual rip off which even the sleepy head greens accept along
    with environmental impact.

Happy Christmas Sean!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

So the 2 year total according to the rollout page is 91,380 premises connected by Dec 2022. Is this not too low a number if they're going to connect 540,000 in 5 years? Presume there will be more connections added in that case?

DECC website
    By the end of next year [2021], NBI plans to pass in the region of 115,000 premises, with 70,000 - 100,000 passed each year thereafter until rollout is completed.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c1b0c9-national-broadband-plan/#high-speed-broadband-rollout

Department of Public Expenditure and Reform
    Revised Estimates for 2021
    Premises Surveyed 220,000
    Premises Passed 102,000
    https://assets.gov.ie/109030/ea11046c-15b1-4b46-875a-0120029c8ba4.pdf

Screenshot shows nearly all the townlands on the Carrigaline list. (minus Springfield and Kilpatrick)
    Odd that they're staying away from the south of the big blue area for the moment.

536626.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

clohamon wrote: »
    Screenshot shows nearly all the townlands on the Carrigaline list. (minus Springfield and Kilpatrick)
    Odd that they're staying away from the south of the big blue area for the moment.

536626.png
    Don't think that list is correct. My house is in the blue area to the top and is down for Dec 2020 - Feb 2021. Think they left some out.

Don't think that list is correct. My house is in the blue area to the top and is down for Dec 2020 - Feb 2021. Think they left some out.

Yes, maybe some in the know could explain why.

AFAIK NBI don’t get paid until the whole of each deployment area is finished.

• Advertisement

Where did you find that pic? Or if you can't say, can you share the Roscommon townlands version?

Pique wrote: »
    Where did you find that pic? Or if you can't say, can you share the Roscommon townlands version?

Pic is just a map of the townlands from the NBI list and the NBP blue areas on an OpenStreetMap base.
    NB: There are 71 ambiguous townland names in the NBI Ballinasloe list (mostly in Galway) and these are omitted from the pic. There are also a few plain duplicate townland names; these are shown. So it is a very rough outline.

eg Addergoole

'ADDERGOOLE NORTH'
    'ADDERGOOLE SOUTH'
    'ADDERGOOLE (ED Annaghdown)
    'ADDERGOOLE (Longford By)'
    'ADDERGOOLE (ED Killererin)'
    'ADDERGOOLE MORE'
    'ADDERGOOLE BEG'
    'ADDERGOOLE (Ballynahinch By)'
    'ADDERGOOLE WEST'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Minister responds to Mayo frustrations over fibre optic connections
    The Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment Eamon Ryan has given an updated report on planned broadband connectivity in Mayo.

He was responding to a parliamentary question by Mayo TD Rose Conway-Walsh in regard to when residents of Ballygowan, Claremorris, can expect to be connected to the broadband network

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2020/12/20/minister-responds-to-mayo-frustrations-over-fibre-optic-connections/

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

536626.png

Hmmmm, my house is in one of the Carrigaline townlands included on the rollout map but the date was changed a few weeks ago and we now have to wait another 12 to 18 months.

On the map I can see that they’ve cut the townland in half with some premises in orange and most of us in blue and going by the nbi map about 20% of the houses are currently in the network build phase (orange on map) until Feb 21 and the rest of us (blue area) won’t be done until between Dec 21-May 22. I wonder why there’s such a big gap, wouldn’t it have made more sense to connect all the premises in the townland in one go like they were originally supposed to do?

Edit: I was curious and went to see could I line up any of the areas that aren’t under orange or blue and it seems like Knocknamullagh currently has the network build in progress and scheduled to be finished by Feb 21 but is outside both of the orange and blue areas and it’s also not included in the list of townlands in the rollout plan, interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Hmmmm, my house is in one of the Carrigaline townlands included on the rollout map but the date was changed a few weeks ago and we now have to wait another 12 to 18 months.

On the map I can see that they’ve cut the townland in half with some premises in orange and most of us in blue and going by the nbi map about 20% of the houses are currently in the network build phase (orange on map) until Feb 21 and the rest of us (blue area) won’t be done until between Dec 21-May 22. I wonder why there’s such a big gap, wouldn’t it have made more sense to connect all the premises in the townland in one go like they were originally supposed to do?

Edit: I was curious and went to see could I line up any of the areas that aren’t under orange or blue and it seems like Knocknamullagh currently has the network build in progress and scheduled to be finished by Feb 21 but is outside both of the orange and blue areas and it’s also not included in the list of townlands in the rollout plan, interesting...

Yep I’m there, we’re down for Dec 20 - Feb 21 and not listed

To be honest it is more smoke and mirrors nonsense from NBI. What is the point of releasing a list of townlands. I suspect it is a fudge as they receive pressure from TDs and the department to be more open.

If they truly want to be transparent release a map of the deployment area with the premises due to be passed in each area. They have such maps available internally so it is not a question of manpower to produce them. Eir managed to do it for their rural prroject.

As I said earlier, the Eircode checker is likely to be the most reliable current indicator absent a map showing your premises due.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Payment can be done in batches according to Dept officials
    Mr. Mark Griffin: The company will not have to get to the end of the 5,000 premises before connections can start.

Mr. Fergal Mulligan: The connections can start once the first 300 or 500 homes are done.

Chairman: They will have put in some of the network, and at the point when the block is done, the Department will give it a block payment for the work done to date and then pay it as connections happen after the event.

Mr. Fergal Mulligan: Exactly.

Source: PAC 28 Mar 2019

The Cush wrote: »
    Payment can be done in batches according to Dept officials
    Mr. Mark Griffin: The company will not have to get to the end of the 5,000 premises before connections can start.

Mr. Fergal Mulligan: The connections can start once the first 300 or 500 homes are done.

Chairman: They will have put in some of the network, and at the point when the block is done, the Department will give it a block payment for the work done to date and then pay it as connections happen after the event.

Mr. Fergal Mulligan: Exactly.

Source: PAC 28 Mar 2019

I was trying to make a distinction between premises "passed" and premises "connected", which I think are two separate payment streams (and separate companies within NBI).

My understanding is that a payment for 'premises passed' only happens when an entire deployment area is passed, though by that stage they might also have made some connections for which they will be paid also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

NBAiii wrote: »

As I said earlier, the Eircode checker is likely to be the most reliable current indicator absent a map showing your premises due.

According to the eircode checker all the houses in our townland are still pending survey but the survey was done last April, trees have cut back and some ducting has been laid. All townlands in the surrounding area are scheduled for May-July 21 but on one road the only house with that date on the eircode map is derilict.

Just got an email from NBI
    Fibre to the Home roll out Update

Since boots hit the ground on January 27th last, NBI have made significant early progress on this major nationwide State telecommunications infrastructure project.
    We are designing, building and operating the new high-speed fibre network in a mapped ‘rollout area’ – where commercial operators have not indicated that they will be providing such services. This map is owned and managed by the Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications (DECC) and includes 544,000 premises and will benefit over one million people.

Over 145,000 premises have been surveyed year to date and network survey design for the new high speed fibre broadband network is well underway. There over 800 people currently working on the NBP nationwide, including all our contractors.

Build works for the network are underway in parts of Cork, Cavan, Limerick and Galway. In early 2021 build works will commence in parts of Roscommon, Wexford, Tralee, Mullingar and Wicklow.

NBI will be working in parts of every county next year and by end 2022, almost 40% of 544K premises in the roll-out area will be ready for connection with the network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

For year's Eir did nothing with poles in my area they could lean as much as they like, but over the last month I have noticed they have put a red D on a lot of the poles there must be at last 50 plus of these marking's placed on different poles on different roads. I thought it strange, but who turned up last week only NBI surveying, I wonder are Eir getting the poles replaced for nothing when NBI start the roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Got the NBI email too.

Unfortunately as feared, that BCP nonsense is being peddled as acceleration of the NBP.

Load. Of. ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Will be interesting to see what areas get added in the coming months as they have only approx 90k premises earmarked on their website by end 2022, and say there will be 217k done by then (40% of 544k).

North Cork wrote: »
    For year's Eir did nothing with poles in my area they could lean as much as they like, but over the last month I have noticed they have put a red D on a lot of the poles there must be at last 50 plus of these marking's placed on different poles on different roads. I thought it strange, but who turned up last week only NBI surveying, I wonder are Eir getting the poles replaced for nothing when NBI start the roll out.

I noticed the same thing during the summer and got excited only for this to pop my bubble

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114113627&postcount=748

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Will be interesting to see what areas get added in the coming months as they have only approx 90k premises earmarked on their website by end 2022, and say there will be 217k done by then (40% of 544k).

Is there a map where we can see what Intervention Area people are in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cregmon

Our neighbours poles are currently leaning into a ditch and the line has snapped in two. Haven't seen any repair trucks yet and its over a week since it went down.
    NBI surveyed here in September but haven't seen any changes on the planning pages and not expecting to see anything until Ballinasloe & Roscommon town areas are complete - both are listed for May 2021.

Surveying is ongoing in the Kilkishen exchange which includes the townlands of Kilmurry, Broadford, Newmarket-on-Fergus, Sixmilebridge, Shannon, Ballyshannon, Doora, Quin, Lissane, Clooney and Tulla.

Surveying is scheduled to begin on the Corofin exchange next year, townlands of Kilnaboy, Ruan, Inagh, Crusheen, Rannagh and Ballyporty are part of this.

https://www.clareecho.ie/one-third-of-clare-premises-without-access-to-high-speed-broadband/

More explanation, today, from NBI about the rollout. As expected the 33 Points of Handover (PoH) will be built first. The green dots on the map represent the PoH.
    The network rollout for the National Broadband Plan is divided up into 227 ‘Deployment Areas’ – known as DAs – up and down the country, taking in every county. These are typically an area of approximately 25km in radius and in total, all 227 deployment areas will cover 96% of Ireland’s landmass.

The route of the network rollout is not based on cost or an economic model. Instead, it’s based on an engineering design that allows NBI to get to every premises as quickly as possible, working within the confines of how fibre networks are built. Each DA effectively creates a ‘fibre ring’ which is essential to ensure reliability, robustness and resilience. Critical to the success of the network, NBI’s fibre rings are built with back-ups, ensuring that in the event of one fibre cable being disrupted, the whole network continues to perform as it should. One point of failure will not bring down the network.

Each fibre ring that NBI deploys is designed in a way that is non-discriminatory, meaning that as the rollout progresses, is can pass relatively urban areas at the same time as the some of the most remote premises. Also supporting NBI’s mission to build the network as quickly as possible, the design will utilise existing infrastructure, rather than build it from scratch.

The architecture of NBI’s network is based specifically on the principle of NBI’s newly deployed fibre connecting to ‘exchanges’, located in towns and villages across Ireland and either owned by eir or enet (enet operates the State owned Metropolitan Area Network – or MANs). Within each exchange, NBI is able to gain access to electrical equipment to allow the network to function.

The network design isn’t quite as simple as an ‘inward/out’ build from each exchange. Each DA creates a different shape on the map, as it takes in towns, villages and every boreen across the Intervention Area.

In 33 of NBI’s 227 DAs, there are what’s known as ‘points of handover’. These are particularly important in the network design, as this is where Retail Service Providers (RSPs) – who will sell services directly to end-users – can place their own equipment alongside NBI’s to access the fibre network, as well as gain access back to the main data centres held in Dublin which connect the network back to the global Internet. Without these 33 DAs built around Ireland’s existing point of handovers, the other DAs do not have any connectivity back to the Internet. The rollout strategy therefore is to get these 33 DAs in place as quickly as possible, before extending beyond these areas.

Map.png

https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Note the D sign doesn’t just apply to ageing poles, it applies to poles on busy streets and dangerous bends where a Cherrypicker would have to be used to ensure staff safety. Thurles town for example, Eircom replaced poles on Croke Street lower and Castlemeadows and affixed D sign on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Pic is just a map of the townlands from the NBI list and the NBP blue areas on an OpenStreetMap base.
    NB: There are 71 ambiguous townland names in the NBI Ballinasloe list (mostly in Galway) and these are omitted from the pic. There are also a few plain duplicate townland names; these are shown. So it is a very rough outline.

I know most of the Ballinasloe townlands on your list. They do exist. Most of them with similar names would be close by each other, maybe even the opposite side of the same road, but they do exist.

Some are so innocuous, people living in them aren't aware of the name.

some of them are fairly 'sub-urban' rather than rural.

Advertisement