Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I know most of the Ballinasloe townlands on your list. They do exist. Most of them with similar names would be close by each other, maybe even the opposite side of the same road, but they do exist.

Some are so innocuous, people living in them aren't aware of the name.

Yes, for sure they exist. The problem is I can't tell which among the duplicates are 'in', and which are 'out'. For some of them it's obvious, but others not.

It wouldn't be difficult for NBI to issue a full list with unique CSO or OSi identifiers, but if the deployment does not follow exact townland boundaries then any map based on townlands is likely to be incorrect at the edge of the deployment area.

I presume NBI are fearing a welter of queries from those on the wrong side of the lines, wherever they are.
    kaizersoze wrote: »
    ...some of them are fairly 'sub-urban' rather than rural.

I guess we'll find out soon enough if NBI will be fixing the suburban FTTC failures at the same time as the others in each deployment area.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

NBAiii wrote: »
    More explanation, today, from NBI about the rollout. As expected the 33 Points of Handover (PoH) will be built first. The green dots on the map represent the PoH.

Map.png

https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/

Thanks very much for that detail.

Do you know why there are no POHs West of Cork?

B

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BarryM wrote: »
    Do you know why there are no POHs West of Cork?

You only need handover where the retail ISPs want to peer, there's unlikely any demand out there.

It doesnt impact end user access, the placement of the "exchanges" impacts how areas are served, the POHs just support them and where they are isnt really something end users need to care about. It looks like they're all ENET colos in any case.

ENETs pricing for small (business) customers is mad but are they playing ball with retail ISPs? Would save a lot of work if you don't have Eir/BT racking up in each colo.

ED E wrote: »
    You only need handover where the retail ISPs want to peer, there's unlikely any demand out there.

It doesnt impact end user access, the placement of the "exchanges" impacts how areas are served, the POHs just support them and where they are isnt really something end users need to care about. It looks like they're all ENET colos in any case.

ENETs pricing for small (business) customers is mad but are they playing ball with retail ISPs? Would save a lot of work if you don't have Eir/BT racking up in each colo.

Would I be wrong in deducing that the lack of POHs "out there" might indicate that the likeliehood of fibre in the out there places will be ''later" Otherwise why would relayers take handover far from their customers?
    Are the POH locations those of 2020? As fibre networks expand will more POHs be added?

How does your assumption of affect on end user "access" tie in with the stated objective of 'fibre to the home'?

B

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wrote a long post, its not required though. Simplified:

- Its not far, light can travel that distance in a fraction of a ms
    - 33 POHs is plenty
    - The POHs just support a set of exchanges, you may as well forget they exist
    - The exchanges are what matter, connecting them was always going to be as laborious as it was going to be

Your last question somewhat suggests this is all going over your head, nothing I posted put it being FTTH (XGPON) into question.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Wrote a long post, its not required though. Simplified:

- Its not far, light can travel that distance in a fraction of a ms
    - 33 POHs is plenty
    - The POHs just support a set of exchanges, you may as well forget they exist
    - The exchanges are what matter, connecting them was always going to be as laborious as it was going to be

Your last question somewhat suggests this is all going over your head, nothing I posted put it being FTTH (XGPON) into question.

Maybe I have misunderstood the tech., but if I understand the sequence, my local ISP, will pick up the handover and offers me access to NBP?

How? if they, or somebody on their behalf, isn't connecting me physically, Will NBP do that?

Pointers please, you are somebody else, on the sequencing of POH to me.

B

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

A retail ISP can interconnect at one or more POH locations, or at one or both of two national POHs in Dublin data centres. If they connect at a regional POH, they can provide service to any customer connected to any OLT connected to that regional POH. If they connect at a national POH, they can provide service to any customer connected to any OLT.

NBI are building their own XGSPON network from the OLTs (the white dots on the map) to the customer premises. They'll be using other providers' fibre (enet, eircom etc) to connect the OLTs to the regional and national POHs.

It makes almost no technical difference to a retail provider whether they provide a customer's service via a regional or a national POH. The difference is price - if the traffic is handed off at a national POH, the ISP will have to pay more to cover the cost of NBI getting that traffic to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It makes almost no technical difference to a retail provider whether they provide a customer's service via a regional or a national POH. The difference is price - if the traffic is handed off at a national POH, the ISP will have to pay more to cover the cost of NBI getting that traffic to Dublin.

Thanks for that concise and informative post. On cost, wholesale monthly pricing from NBI

National PoH
    500 Mbit/s €29.49
    1000 Mbit/s €34.49

Regional PoH
    500 Mbit/s €26.00
    1000 Mbit/s €31.00

Interconnect is charged separately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

happy new year

may 2021 bring much better bandwidth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

happy new year

may 2021 bring much better bandwidth

• Advertisement

Definitely my last question.

Where I live (a remote location in the intervention area) there will be, sometime, a point of contact, to NBP, installed on a building about 1km from me (by crowfly, not visible). I don't know what it is supposed to supply in detail, but is described as a point of contact.... pending.....

What will that do for my access to NBP and will it be a charged service?

Happy NY, whatever it brings.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Where I live (a remote location in the intervention area) there will be, sometime, a point of contact, to NBP, installed on a building about 1km from me (by crowfly, not visible). I don't know what it is supposed to supply in detail, but is described as a point of contact.... pending.....

What will that do for my access to NBP and will it be a charged service?.

Where are you getting this information from, is it from the map?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Definitely my last question.

What will that do for my access to NBP and will it be a charged service?

Happy NY, whatever it brings.....

Are you talking about a BCP?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

My town is fairly small and most people in the town are able to get fibre already, even people on my road, yet I can only get max 3 mbits. Is there any hope of the National Broadband Plan doing anything in my area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

jdon72 wrote: »
    My town is fairly small and most people in the town are able to get fibre already, even people on my road, yet I can only get max 3 mbits. Is there any hope of the National Broadband Plan doing anything in my area?

Have you put your eircode in to nbi.ie to check?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Jofspring wrote: »
    Have you put your eircode in to nbi.ie to check?

Yeah, just says "Premises Pending Survey. Your premises is in the Intervention Area, and your locality and infrastructure will be surveyed as part of the national fibre network rollout."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

jdon72 wrote: »
    Yeah, just says "Premises Pending Survey. Your premises is in the Intervention Area, and your locality and infrastructure will be surveyed as part of the national fibre network rollout."

Then you are apart of the roll out and will be getting the high speed broadband. Just no potential date given yet. Could be a few years but you'll get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

my part of Cobh , pushed out to between Dec 21 and May 22 ,

Surveying Underway
    Your premises is in the Intervention Area and surveying is underway in the locality. High speed fibre broadband is anticipated to be available in your area within the date range below.*

Date:
    December 2021 - May 2022

praying for 5g now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Tony H wrote:
    praying for 5g now

Waste of time have a bit of patience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Nolars wrote: »
    Waste of time have a bit of patience

I would have been happy waiting another 18 months but they gave a wrong date on the nbi site for most of East Cork ie. Dec 2020- Feb 2021 which gave us false hope , apparently 5g with eir is available where I am ,but I would have to upgrade to a 5g phone just to confirm this , anyway not the biggest worry we have at the moment .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Looks like the townlands were updated recently. Previously there were no townlands available for Tipperary, but now it appears each area in the currently available rollout plan has the townlands listed.
    https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Still patiently waiting for someone from the first connected houses to post a speedtest when connected to the NBI network, should happen sometime in the next few weeks I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

TheSegal wrote: »
    Still patiently waiting for someone from the first connected houses to post a speedtest when connected to the NBI network, should happen sometime in the next few weeks I hope!

I’m in the Carrigaline area rollout and will be connecting as soon as available so will try my best

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

Me too :-)

I'm in Cloverhill, Co.Cavan. Feb - April go live date.

I have an order on with Digiweb and was advised install date first week of February based on my Eircode. I'm just waiting on NBI to confirm when exactly.

baz9375 wrote: »
    Me too :-)

I'm in Cloverhill, Co.Cavan. Feb - April go live date.

I have an order on with Digiweb and was advised install date first week of February based on my Eircode. I'm just waiting on NBI to confirm when exactly.

I'm in Oranmore, Co. Galway and have a date of Jan-March and was advised first week of February by Digiweb too! Can't see how that can happen though because there's no sign of any overhead cabling or DP boxes anywhere near me yet

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

I'm in Oranmore, Co. Galway and have a date of Jan-March and was advised first week of February by Digiweb too! Can't see how that can happen though because there's no sign of any overhead cabling or DP boxes anywhere near me yet

I'm holding out some hope as we had the fibre cables hung the week before Christmas and plenty of NBI and Secto crew in our area again this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Was onto Sky this morning to see if I could maybe get a deal as I'm a long standing customer. They told me they had never heard of the NBP before.... asked supervisor, they didn't know either.
    Digiweb it is then :pac:

Was onto Sky this morning to see if I could maybe get a deal as I'm a long standing customer. They told me they had never heard of the NBP before.... asked supervisor, they didn't know either.
    Digiweb it is then :pac:

My god that's Eir levels of ignorance! I've been with Digiweb a year now and no major complaints, customer service is good but speed is absolute muck but that's why the NBP is intervening! They do have a fair usage policy of 2TB though if that makes a difference to you

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

My townland is there. Sep 2021 - Feb 2022. *eek*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

UK Parliament not convinced by UK Government's promises on rural broadband.
    We are concerned that the Department has yet to make any meaningful progress in delivering the policy and legislative changes deemed essential by industry if it is to achieve rapid roll-out. It is still developing its £5 billion programme to subsidise roll-out to the hardest to reach 20% of the UK’s 31 million premises and could not tell us when it intends to deliver major milestones, such as the letting of contracts. We are increasingly concerned that those in rural areas may have to pay more, and may reach gigabit broadband speeds late. Given the impact of covid-19, the Department must do more to protect those with limited access to the internet. We remain unconvinced that, if and when rural users finally do get gigabit broadband, they will enjoy the same choice of service provider and the same protections as their urban counterparts.
    https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/127/public-accounts-committee/publications/

Advertisement