Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 McPacher

padraig.od wrote: »
    My townland is there. Sep 2021 - Feb 2022. *eek*

My area was marked as going live Dec 20 - Feb 21 when with the latest update of their website it was moved to Dec 21 - Jun 22

I sent a request through their website and it turns out some of their data is incorrect and is being fixed. We will probably need to wait a few weeks for the next update to see the actual timeframes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Does anyone know how they’re going to tell people the connection is live? Will we get a letter? Some of my elderly neighbours are keen to get in on this but wouldn’t be up to date with this website and NBI.ie for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Does anyone know how they’re going to tell people the connection is live? Will we get a letter? Some of my elderly neighbours are keen to get in on this but wouldn’t be up to date with this website and NBI.ie for example.

I messaged Digiweb about this yesterday, I'll post up whatever reply I get.

I'm very wary of elderly relatives getting automatically bumped up to a new 12 month fiber contract by Eir if they don't know what's happening with their new connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Thw word fibre speed record has been broken yet again, the record was established by a multinational team based in Japan, including Japanese, American and French Scientists. 1 petabit per second was transmitted over a distance of 23kms via fibre.

https://interestingengineering.com/institute-breaks-transmission-world-record-with-125000-gbps-using-an-optical-fiber

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/01/new-record-as-speed-of-1pbps-hit-in-multi-mode-optical-fibre.html

Whilst this is purely proof of concept, it shows the constant throughput growth of Fibre and how it was just a good choice for the NBI. It is Future-proofed ad-infinitum. This new technology will allow for massive up-gauging the capacity of trunk fibres that span continents and cross oceans.

theguzman wrote: »
    Thw word fibre speed record has been broken yet again, the record was established by a multinational team based in Japan, including Japanese, American and French Scientists. 1 petabit per second was transmitted over a distance of 23kms via fibre.

https://interestingengineering.com/institute-breaks-transmission-world-record-with-125000-gbps-using-an-optical-fiber

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/01/new-record-as-speed-of-1pbps-hit-in-multi-mode-optical-fibre.html

Whilst this is purely proof of concept, it shows the constant throughput growth of Fibre and how it was just a good choice for the NBI. It is Future-proofed ad-infinitum. This new technology will allow for massive up-gauging the capacity of trunk fibres that span continents and cross oceans.

1 petabit per second sounds absolutely insane! But what's ever more insane is the fact that it will probably be regarded as slow in the future!

Seen some KN workers out in the rain today near Carnmore in Galway, looks like they had a tablet or something and had some of the white tubing taken up out of the ground where the fiber will transition from underground to a pole. Hoping that they will start hanging cable either this week or next week since everything looks to be in place for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Is there a projected completion date for the survey part if the rollout?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

The first sixteen retail ISPs to join the NBI network have been listed on the NBI site. The network is apparently launching "over the coming weeks". Notably, eir is included.

https://nbi.ie/where-can-i-buy/

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

The surveying will likely go on for years in parallel with the build. You are not going to survey some area now that you are not building in until 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

NBAiii wrote: »
    The first sixteen retail ISPs to join the NBI network have been listed on the NBI site. The network is apparently launching "over the coming weeks". Notably, eir is included.

https://nbi.ie/where-can-i-buy/

Good to see SKY there!......will cut out an extra bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The network is apparently launching "over the coming weeks"

January 25th is the scheduled commercial launch date according to Peter Hendrick.

I thought we'd have some feedback by now from people on the soft launch which was due to start December 9th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

The surveying will likely go on for years in parallel with the build. You are not going to survey some area now that you are not building in until 2024.

Yep, unfortunately I found out a few weeks back that it looks like my own Area wont be part of the rollout until Year 5 which means im looking at 2025.

This is a town 20 minutes outside Galway and literally 10 minutes away from the actual first Galway build that's taking place at the moment.

What part of the rollout is that joe123? Hoping it's not the Athenry rollout as that's where my brother is situated, less than a 2 minute drive down the road from me as we are both on the borders of out rollout zones but i'm getting connected in the January-March timeline while his house is pending survey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Great stuff. Please keep us all up to date as things progress.
    marvsins wrote: »
    Absolutely. I've been limping along with 10mb bb for years now so I am giddy ☺ with excitement for this.

@marvsins Can you give any feedback on the trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The Cush wrote: »
    January 25th is the scheduled commercial launch date according to Peter Hendrick.

I thought we'd have some feedback by now from people on the soft launch which was due to start December 9th.
    When I was on Sky's SIRO trial there was a confidentiality condition.

TheSegal wrote: »
    What part of the rollout is that joe123? Hoping it's not the Athenry rollout as that's where my brother is situated, less than a 2 minute drive down the road from me as we are both on the borders of out rollout zones but i'm getting connected in the January-March timeline while his house is pending survey!

It's the Belclare deployment area, so Headford and maybe some of Tuam. They did say they were surprised at how late this area was scheduled for considering it covered towns and a large number of houses in the intervention area.

Whether that will change I hope it does but at this stage I'm preparing for the worst.

Do you know what Deployment Area is near your brother? He could be seriously unlucky and just on the edge. I was following the Galway rollout near me, you can draw a line through Corrandulla. Some houses are rollout date jan-march, and a stones throw up the road pending survey like the rest of us.

Edit: meant to say it wouldn't surprise me if we get connected by Eir before NBI. The second big estate down the road from me were all listed as being in the rollout, until Eir began FTTH connections last year. Finishing up the remaining houses as we speak. So close but yet so far.

joe123 wrote: »
    It's the Belclare deployment area, so Headford and maybe some of Tuam. They did say they were surprised at how late this area was scheduled for considering it covered towns and a large number of houses in the intervention area.

Whether that will change I hope it does but at this stage I'm preparing for the worst.

Do you know what Deployment Area is near your brother? He could be seriously unlucky and just on the edge. I was following the Galway rollout near me, you can draw a line through Corrandulla. Some houses are rollout date jan-march, and a stones throw up the road pending survey like the rest of us.

Edit: meant to say it wouldn't surprise me if we get connected by Eir before NBI. The second big estate down the road from me were all listed as being in the rollout, until Eir began FTTH connections last year. Finishing up the remaining houses as we speak. So close but yet so far.

I'll have a look at the rollout map and see what area he is part of. He's going crazy because if he just built the house 100m up the road he would be part of the first rollout!

Signs up the road from me from NBI saying that high speed fiber broadband is here in my area! Think they may have jumped the gun a bit on that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Anyone know how we’ll be told it’s launching? Very little activity here in the past while (Rochestown, Cork) and we’re supposed to be launching in a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

joe123 wrote: »
    Yep, unfortunately I found out a few weeks back that it looks like my own Area wont be part of the rollout until Year 5 which means im looking at 2025.

This is a town 20 minutes outside Galway and literally 10 minutes away from the actual first Galway build that's taking place at the moment.

How did you find out when your area is being rolled out? I have no info on my area atm

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Nuphor

jdon72 wrote: »
    How did you find out when your area is being rolled out? I have no info on my area atm

Yeah, how are people finding out these far-flung rollout times? Most of the country still waiting for surveys. Some more dates (estimates are fine) would be extremely welcome.

jdon72 wrote: »
    Nuphor wrote: »
    Yeah, how are people finding out these far-flung rollout times? Most of the country still waiting for surveys. Some more dates (estimates are fine) would be extremely welcome.

Yeah I was in the same boat and honestly I dont even know how accurate the 2025 date I was given is.

But originally all I got from NBI was "hey make sure to sign up to our website and keep an eye on social". Got absolutely nowhere with them and its even worse now as all they post about are those ****ty BCP's which is apparently accelerating the rollout :rolleyes:

Anyways I got chatting to a neighbour who knows a guy who knows a guy type thing. On our behalf he reached out to someone relatively high up within NBI and got that info for us.

Not sure if it was a "give them a worst case scneario" and get them off my back scenario or what, but thats what we were told.

Annoyingly when I first contacted NBI way back in January last year, they told me my area was already surveyed and it would be updated soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Surveying starting in North Cork (near Rathmore, Kerry OLT) says guy from Cork County Council
    http://johnpauloshea.ie/surveying-for-national-broadband-plan-commences-in-north-cork/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Does anyone know if every house that is covered under NBI will be guaranteed to get fibre or could some remote location get some form of wireless technology.
    For example this premise at eircode P85 VC52 says its included. This is down a cul de sac in a remote location in West Cork. Will this get fibre?

I'm asking because I'm potentially building a house in a similar location type, down a cul de sac by the sea (not the location above). there is a premise that is further down the cul de sac than my potential building and is included in NBI as well.

Obviously the ability to get fibre via NBI will have a big bearing on weather I'd go forward with that site or not.

Thanks,
    Tim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Does anyone know if every house that is covered under NBI will be guaranteed to get fibre or could some remote location get some form of wireless technology.
    For example this premise at eircode P85 VC52 says its included. This is down a cul de sac in a remote location in West Cork. Will this get fibre?

I'm asking because I'm potentially building a house in a similar location type, down a cul de sac by the sea (not the location above). there is a premise that is further down the cul de sac than my potential building and is included in NBI as well.

Obviously the ability to get fibre via NBI will have a big bearing on weather I'd go forward with that site or not.

Thanks,
    Tim

There's no guarantee of fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Thanks,
    Tim

Our house is 1km down a lane,5/600m from phone line over fields,.....they looked towards installing lines and fibre when surveyed last month. 19>22mnth delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

There's no guarantee of fibre

What's the alternative and have any houses surveyed so far been told they are not getting fibre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

What's the alternative and have any houses surveyed so far been told they are not getting fibre?

No disclosure so far, they are still surveying

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

As far as I know NBI are contracted to deliver broadband > 30Mbps to every property. In a worse case scenario where they can't hook you up to fibre directly then a wireless solution would be provided. I think there's a provision for having to do that for 10% of properties nationally.

Anyone know how we’ll be told it’s launching? Very little activity here in the past while (Rochestown, Cork) and we’re supposed to be launching in a few weeks?

I contacted NBI today to try and find out when fiber is being hung on poles here since their network is supposed to launch between January-March this year and it's already Jan 13th, they had no answer which doesn't inspire confidence in timelines!

They did say though that houses would receive post explaining the rollout of the NBP network, what retailers an area can buy from, and when it will be available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

As far as I know NBI are contracted to deliver broadband > 30Mbps to every property. In a worse case scenario where they can't hook you up to fibre directly then a wireless solution would be provided. I think there's a provision for having to do that for 10% of properties nationally.

I would be so pissed off if my neighbour had fiber and I had 30Mbps wireless just because my drive way was slightly longer.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

As far as I know NBI are contracted to deliver broadband > 30Mbps to every property.

I'm pretty sure they'll be providing the same speeds to all premises, which means that they'd be offering 500Mb/s to any wireless customers.

In the long term, I'm fairly certain that they'll bring fibre everywhere. I've held forth at length in the past on the topic of whether it's easier to roll out high-speed fibre or equivalent-speed wireless.

Fibre seems hard, until you try to deliver gigabit speeds to truly remote houses, including those in wooded valleys with literally no line of sight to anywhere.

Advertisement