Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

I had a couple of lads from NBI working in the field beside me today so I went out for a chat. They told me that there are some areas already live and I asked him was that in Cork - he said there are some in Co Tipperary which I was surprised at.
    They said they will be putting the lines up on the poles in the next couple of weeks. Does anyone know how long after that we would be able to get connected? In Clonlara, Co Clare and we are still showing pending survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

mp3guy wrote: »
    I would be so pissed off if my neighbour had fiber and I had 30Mbps wireless just because my drive way was slightly longer.

If you were building new could the risk of that be negated by bringing ducting further towards the road where the fibre. Is there any limit to how long ducting from road to house can be?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Does anyone know if every house that is covered under NBI will be guaranteed to get fibre or could some remote location get some form of wireless technology.
    For example this premise at eircode P85 VC52 says its included. This is down a cul de sac in a remote location in West Cork. Will this get fibre?

I'm asking because I'm potentially building a house in a similar location type, down a cul de sac by the sea (not the location above). there is a premise that is further down the cul de sac than my potential building and is included in NBI as well.

Obviously the ability to get fibre via NBI will have a big bearing on weather I'd go forward with that site or not.

Thanks,
    Tim

From their website:
    By the end of our deployment plan, NBI’s network will be available to approximately 544,000 premises, and any new builds over the next 25 years, meaning 100% of the country will have access to high-speed broadband – with no-one being left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

NBAiii wrote: »

A question on the Cork-Mahon PoH, this isn't included in the original NBP contract's list of 227 OLT locations.

Is this an additional OLT location i.e. No. 228? A max of 230 are allowed per the NBP contract

Looking at the list of OLT locations in the contract, by Deployment Area Unique Number Identifier, Cootehill is 35, Donabate/Portrane is 37, 36 is blank. All the other enet OLT locations 1-81 are listed alphabetically except for 36. Cork- Mahon at 36 would continue this sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

So I got my reply from Local TD , They put a question with my Eircode to Minister of Communications and I now know when the Survey is scheduled to commence (Q3 2022) so I can simply put it on the long finger and forget about it. I will simply keep an eye to see if the rollout plan is to be accelerated.

Despite what people say here the full rollout plan is available but you need to access it via your TD which is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If you were building new could the risk of that be negated by bringing ducting further towards the road where the fibre. Is there any limit to how long ducting from road to house can be?

No you can't negate the risk , the road itself would have had to be designated as being on the NBI and have capacity for additional point .

Regardless of what you do , you should be putting in ducting to the road for such services as a prerequisite. May also need power to gates or cctv so should be doing it anyway.

There is a doc. I think it's something like access holds every 25m of run , could be 50 m though someone will have it or look up EIR or ESB ducting guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

There were signs posted at both ends of the road I live on in the last couple of days by the NBI - quite big ones saying :

The Time has come
    High speed fibre broadband is here
    Find out how to get connected at NBI.ie

No change to the status of my Eircode on the website or anything though and I don't think they fibre run is completely finished so may be a bit premature.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

djd80 wrote: »
    There were signs posted at both ends of the road I live on in the last couple of days by the NBI - quite big ones saying :

The Time has come

No change to the status of my Eircode on the website or anything though and I don't think they fibre run is completely finished so may be a bit premature.

This is great news djd80 :-) Just wonder where you're located? is it Carrigaline?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

The Time has come

Same signs are posted near me in Carnmore but no updates on the NBI website and when I contacted NBI they couldn't give me a date outside of January-March 2021 which was a bit surprising

Yeah I am a bit outside Carrigaline but I seem to be close enough to be included in the rollout from there. Ive mailed the NBI this morning asking what the story is and will reply here to let people know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Anyone know how we’ll be told it’s launching? Very little activity here in the past while (Rochestown, Cork) and we’re supposed to be launching in a few weeks?

Saw a KN van across from Rochestown College yesterday and today on the Rathanker road they seem to be putting up cables, nbi signs along with the regular road warning signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

NBI guys were surveying our road yesterday, We're in Dublin near Lucan. They said maybe 8 months and we should have fibre in place as an estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Yeah I am a bit outside Carrigaline but I seem to be close enough to be included in the rollout from there. Ive mailed the NBI this morning asking what the story is and will reply here to let people know.

You should contact Digiweb and input your eircode and express interest. I am in your region and I have the same implementation period dec20-feb 21 but I am building a house with no eircode yet and I inputted my neighbors eircode before christmas and they called me back that day wanting to sign me up saying that they were in the process or very near in getting the first people connected to NBI

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    You should contact Digiweb and input your eircode and express interest. I am in your region and I have the same implementation period dec20-feb 21 but I am building a house with no eircode yet and I inputted my neighbors eircode before christmas and they called me back that day wanting to sign me up saying that they were in the process or very near in getting the first people connected to NBI

Yeah well I guess once its available they will all be able to provide it - Digiweb just seem to be proactive in trying to get customers onboard in advance.

Most likely I will go with Sky to amalgamate the existing TV and new Broadband into one bill and maybe get some extras thrown in.

I contacted last Friday morning and still no reply from Digiweb about when a connection may be available. Think they might be just as lost as we are with regards connection dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Saw a KN van across from Rochestown College yesterday and today on the Rathanker road they seem to be putting up cables, nbi signs along with the regular road warning signs.

Oh brilliant I’m right next to the college

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Dublin People reporting surveying deep into the city.
    NBI says its crews have made “substantial progress” in Fingal, with Castleknock, Blanchardstown, Clonsilla and Ongar.

Other areas across Dublin which are being surveyed include: Chapelizod, Ballyfermot, Cabra, Bluebell, Finglas, Adamstown, Lucan, and Clondalkin.

https://dublinpeople.com/news/northsidewest/articles/2021/01/14/surveying-of-broadband-rollout-in-fingal-making-substantial-progress/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The old cork road in Limerick from before Drombanna right out past Ballyneety and towards Grange has had nearly all its trees cut back now giving clear access to the poles. Also just off that road heading towards hospital has had a lot of the trees and hedging cut back
    It's about 9/10km stretch.

I assume they would be working so as there is no point in cutting that back and then arriving next September it October when a lot would have grown back.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Does anyone know what the different colours stand for? I'm in a red area and there's no info on the time frame for fibre in my area

Just got a text from Digiweb telling me that my house is now able to pre-order FTTH up to 1000Mbps. Are they worth a call?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

TheSegal wrote: »
    I contacted last Friday morning and still no reply from Digiweb about when a connection may be available. Think they might be just as lost as we are with regards connection dates.

Send us a PM here and we'll take a look

Oh brilliant I’m right next to the college

Back from a walk along the road with the dog and they’re actually cutting the branches that are in the way and they said the cables should be going up within the next few weeks but my house was pushed back to Dec 21-May 22 so that must they’re going ahead with it in the next few weeks which would mean the rollout map is incorrect again :confused:

Back from a walk along the road with the dog and they’re actually cutting the branches that are in the way and they said the cables should be going up within the next few weeks but my house was pushed back to Dec 21-May 22 so that must they’re going ahead with it in the next few weeks which would mean the rollout map is incorrect again :confused:
    I was just told by Digiweb we're going live within 6 weeks, im about 500m from the college

Just got a text from Digiweb telling me that my house is now able to pre-order FTTH up to 1000Mbps. Are they worth a call?

That's fantastic news! You could be the first with a speedtest on the NBI network yet!

I was just told by Digiweb we're going live within 6 weeks, im about 500m from the college

I think I just have to wait and see a few weeks if the map correct or if it’s the guys on the ground!

Does anyone know any other provider offering info on prices etc or pre-orders? I don't want to commit to Digiweb without hearing other providers' offers. I contacted Sky two weeks ago and they didn't even know what the plan was...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

TheSegal wrote:
    That's fantastic news! You could be the first with a speedtest on the NBI network yet!

man I'm going to be jealous af when someone posts up a speedtest but I'm looking forward to it marking real progress in the rollout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Does anyone know any other provider offering info on prices etc or pre-orders? I don't want to commit to Digiweb without hearing other providers' offers. I contacted Sky two weeks ago and they didn't even know what the plan was...

I went through the providers that have nbi specific pages in their URLs here...

https://nbi.ie/where-can-i-buy/

...and the only one I found to be giving a price is...

Mayo fibre https://atlantek.net/nbi/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I went through the providers that have nbi specific pages in their URLs here...

https://nbi.ie/where-can-i-buy/

...and the only one I found to be giving a price is...

Mayo fibre https://atlantek.net/nbi/

Their website wouldn't inspire confidence........:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I tried ordering off them last week, was told the prices on their FTTH package advertised on the website, with phone was wrong and that the price on the web wasn't available. The lady said she'd let the web team know to update it without delay and it's still showing those prices. I was looking forward to giving Digiweb a shot because I always see good feedback about them but this didn't give me much confidence. Hopefully you've better luck.

Advertisement