Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

Cloverhill, Co.Cavan. Photo of DPs being installed :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

baz9375 wrote: »

It's happening!

westyIrl wrote: »
    It's happening!

Finally :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

That seems similar to the DPs used by Siro, perhaps the same manufacturer. Definitely different to the eir 3M DPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭DeadWeight

Looked up my address and we're included in the intervention area... Are we guaranteed to get it my area at some point or does that mean there's only a small chance we will?

• Advertisement

NBAiii wrote: »
    That seems similar to the DPs used by Siro, perhaps the same manufacturer. Definitely different to the eir 3M DPs.

Thanks NBAiii.

Do you know how many premises each DP serve? Should there be one for each home?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

DeadWeight wrote: »
    Looked up my address and we're included in the intervention area... Are we guaranteed to get it my area at some point or does that mean there's only a small chance we will?

If you're in the IA, you'll get connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

DeadWeight wrote: »

You'll get it at some stage. Depending on where you are it could be several years away.
    Thanks NBAiii.

Do you know who many premises each DP serve? Should there be one for each home?

There should not be one for each home. Each point would serve, generally, four premises in a rural area.

Some more photos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

They are putting up fibre on the poles on my road as well today :):) Ballygarvan area Cork. Excellent! Pity my house is only half built but I will have the fancy stuff when I move in during the summer.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Still no sign of the fiber on poles around Galway yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Lads is it worth pre-ordering with Digiweb? 65pm for the 500 with no installation fee and including unlimited phone calls.
    Will I find a better deal than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

bring on the speed test results lads !

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

@marvsins Can you give any feedback on the trial?

The update is there is no update!! Got a call from a Sky rep telling me there was an issue in the area and I wouldn't be connect by Christmas as promised. They text me a €30 justeat code as a sorry 😞 Told it would be in January but haven't heard any update as yet. I've emailed the NBI trail team. I expected to hear back from them yesterday but hopefully today, if not I'd say they are ghosting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Surveyed at start of November. Site still showing premises pending survey.. how quick were others updated with a timeline after survey was completed?

Surveyed at start of November. Site still showing premises pending survey.. how quick were others updated with a timeline after survey was completed?

Our area was surveyed in Feb/March 2020 and the Eircode checker updated in mid May to Survey Completed with go live date estimated as Jan-march 2021.

Our area was then updated in August/September to "Network Build in Progress" and go live date changed to Feb-April 2021.

Lots of work happening in Rochestown, Cork again today, this time in Old Court. I managed to get photos but too large to upload so I’ll try later

Photos attached, appears to be duct installation. For those who know Rochestown, it's a strange route. Are they bypassing the overhead cables at the college and going underground up the hill instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2021-01-14a.41&s=Broadband+speaker%3A246#g45.r
    Pearse Doherty (Donegal, Sinn Fein)
    To ask the Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment when broadband will be available at a property (details supplied); the steps the person can take to accelerate the process; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [2010/21]
    Eamon Ryan (Dublin Bay South, Green Party)
    ...The Programme for Government has committed to seek to accelerate the roll out of the National Broadband Plan. In this regard, my Department continues to engage with NBI to explore the feasibility of accelerating aspects of this rollout to establish the possibility of bringing forward premises which are currently scheduled in years 6 and 7 of the current plan to an earlier date. NBI has established a dedicated team to investigate acceleration of the rollout from its current contracted schedule of seven years. All possible alternative network providers are being considered and substantial work has been completed by this team to date with further actions scheduled over the coming months. This includes an assessment of the potential to utilise the ESB Network for certain areas and this work is on-going. The technical feasibility of whether the ESB network is compatible with the NBI solution has been the primary focus and NBI have undertaken on site surveys and developed a detailed design for a pilot area using the ESB network, with the aim of establishing from this pilot exercise, the feasibility of using the ESB infrastructure on a broader basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Quote:
    Pearse Doherty (Donegal, Sinn Fein)
    To ask the Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment when broadband will be available at a property (details supplied); the steps the person can take to accelerate the process; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [2010/21]

FFS, its no wonder nothing gets done quickly in this country when Dail time is being wasted on Qs about one persons broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

We (Longford) were surveyed in August but it’s still showing pending survey on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

TheBody wrote: »
    We (Longford) were surveyed in August but it’s still showing pending survey on the website.

Well that's annoying. I queried it on Twitter. The girl dmed to say website is updated every quarter and ones surveyed in previous quarter would be updated in the following months. Doesnt seem to be true however

Seeing coils of wire at the top of some poles down the road from me that I've never seen before, hoping it's the start of fiber being hung from poles! Thought they would start from the Galway city side of my road though rather than the other end. I'll try get some pictures tomorrow if it'll help people classify what they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

dam099 wrote: »
    FFS, its no wonder nothing gets done quickly in this country when Dail time is being wasted on Qs about one persons broadband.

These are written questions they really don't take up Dáil time. There are several "when am I getting my NBP" questions every day. It's doubtful if the Minister even reads them.

The acceleration thing has been a talking point since last May at least. The only news is that consideration is still 'ongoing' and hasn't been dropped yet. And the answer only talks about accelerating those currently scheduled for years 6 & 7 i.e. not a general acceleration.

Just in case anyone isn't familiar with how vague and conditional these answers are, here it is again with weasel words bolded.
    In this regard, my Department continues to engage with NBI to explore the feasibility of accelerating aspects of this rollout to establish the possibility of bringing forward premises which are currently scheduled in years 6 and 7 of the current plan to an earlier date. NBI has established a dedicated team to investigate acceleration of the rollout from its current contracted schedule of seven years. All possible alternative network providers are being considered and substantial work has been completed by this team to date with further actions scheduled over the coming months. This includes an assessment of the potential to utilise the ESB Network for certain areas and this work is on-going. The technical feasibility of whether the ESB network is compatible with the NBI solution has been the primary focus and NBI have undertaken on site surveys and developed a detailed design for a pilot area using the ESB network, with the aim of establishing from this pilot exercise, the feasibility of using the ESB infrastructure on a broader basis.

New cabling has been coiled around poles about 500m up the road from me at a crossroads. Cabling is on the main road and then turns down a small road with about 3 houses on it rather than continue on down the main road towards my house towards the existing OpenEIR fiber structure that's 280m further from me! :mad: I'm assuming this is all NBI stuff, i've attached photos of the cables i've seen.

TheSegal wrote: »
    New cabling has been coiled around poles about 500m up the road from me at a crossroads. Cabling is on the main road and then turns down a small road with about 3 houses on it rather than continue on down the main road towards my house towards the existing OpenEIR fiber structure that's 280m further from me! :mad: I'm assuming this is all NBI stuff, i've attached photos of the cables i've seen.

Looks to be the same or very similar to the cable hung on our road which is defiantly NBI.

NBAiii is probably our best bet to confirm :-)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

TheSegal wrote: »
    I'm assuming this is all NBI stuff..

Yup. It has "NBII" printed on the cable jackets.

Can't understand why they only did about 300m of road a while back and most of it was a back road with a few houses? I'm sure there's some reason to it though, wish I knew the plan but hopefully my ISP will let me know more in the future when they know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

According to facebook post the first premises is now connected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Nolars wrote: »
    According to facebook post the first premises is now connected

Big happy head on him. Dont blame him.

https://twitter.com/NatBroadbandIrl/status/1352623232503996416

Advertisement