Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

I'm assuming this is one of the first public connections and not part of the trial houses one of the members here was supposed to be a part of?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

TheSegal wrote: »
    I'm assuming this is one of the first public connections and not part of the trial houses one of the members here was supposed to be a part of?

I'd suspect it is part of the trial. It would tally with what marvsins said about them not being ready to connect before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Shanbally is where the trial started. Nova Broadband were looking for someone in Shanbally a few weeks back so I assume that is them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Good for him, delighted for the guy and his family. I am also saddened that it has taken 9 years and 8 months from the original musings on it to finally achieve where we are today. It shows how unimaginative our public and civil sector is, how the EU is allowed to dictate so much to us on regulatory bureaucracy and how hopelessly ignorant politicians were who fought this tooth and nail. And the hundreds of millions squandered on reports and consultants along the way, when was was needed was boots on the ground from day 1.

https://www.thejournal.ie/plan-for-full-broadband-coverage-in-ireland-by-end-of-2012-133291-May2011/

However the silver-lining is that the delay has seen Fibre emerge as the gold standard, wisps and EIR kicked to kerb and we could have been looking at duplicating the entire process all over again about now or in years ahead with FTTH anyway if some sort of mish-mash of wireless and copper cabinets went ahead back in the day.

Credit must be given to Pat Rabbitte, Denis Naughton, Leo Varadkar and the Fine Gael party who delivered this to us during their longest ever tenure leading Government after emerging from an appalling economic recession and now as we sail into the biggest economic global disaster of all times we are very lucky that this was given the triple-lock and go-ahead or you could be certain that Fianna Fail and their corrupt cronies in the wireless industry would have brown envelopes stuffed to the brim to stop the NBP at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

I hadn't seen this before from NBI:

"Once the fibre has been connected people will be able to place orders with their chosen Internet Service Provider. A letter will be sent by post to each individual property to confirm a connection date once it has been established."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Shanbally is where the trial started. Nova Broadband were looking for someone in Shanbally a few weeks back so I assume that is them.

If the laptop has the correct time & date (18/11/2020) when the promo video shows the speed test I'd doubt he was part of any trial and they just picked the house and family for advertising.

Also if that house went "live today" why haven't the rest of Shanbally been able to sign up as yet?

marvsins wrote: »
    If the laptop has the correct time & date (18/11/2020) when the promo video shows the speed test I'd doubt he was part of any trial and they just picked the house and family for advertising.

Also if that house went "live today" why haven't the rest of Shanbally been able to sign up as yet?
    That house is behind the golf club. I'd barely even count it as Shanbally to be honest, it's almost Raffeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

That house is behind the golf club. I'd barely even count it as Shanbally to be honest, it's almost Raffeen.

Its halfway between Raffeen village (10 dwelling)and the pub in Shanbally. Hopefully the area will be able to connect in the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Hand picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Hand picked.

Usually you do hand pick people to appear in your marketing yes. That's generally how casting for advertising works.

The chosen usually gets a monetary benefit too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

listermint wrote: »
    Usually you do hand pick people to appear in your marketing yes. That's generally how casting for advertising works.

I'd love to see an "unboxing" youtube vid if you like where some guy will start out at the pole or duct and work his way in showing us the internal infrastrucuture and then show the modem etc, run some speedtests and give us some examples of what it means to him and how it positively effects their lives.

For me now as an Eir customer I pay €50 per month for ADSL2+ 14mb at my parents house (no mobile reception at my own house even) all of this money goes directly to EIR and OpenEir.

Now when NBI is available to me how much will EIR lose as a result of my migration to the NBI Network and taking my ISP to the likes of Digiweb? I feel I have an ethical duty to boycott Eir as soon as possible as a result of the appalling treatment of their customers right now and down through the years. I won't be going with Sky as they are incompetent I feel having being with them before. Vodafone are so so, I wouldn't support a former WISP either, I am thinking perhaps Digiweb but as someone who considers myself a broadband activist I don't know who to take my future FTTH business to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

listermint wrote: »

Oh I'm well aware how it works....:D

but the point is that they are being portrayed as this random family that were just lucky to have been chosen randomly to be the first live connection in the country....TODAY!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Himself was on Newstalk.

https://www.newstalk.com/podcast/david-mccourt-of-nbi-on-broadband-rollout?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1611333084

Generally upbeat.

120,000 premises designed

20,000 premises under construction currently
    130,000 to be under construction by year end

Covid affecting group work; manholes cable pulling etc. One subby with 40% out currently. Individual work e.g., surveying and design is unaffected.

General sense is that they are a bit behind but optimistic they'll catch up once pandemic abates.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Oh I'm well aware how it works....:D

but the point is that they are being portrayed as this random family that were just lucky to have been chosen randomly to be the first live connection in the country....TODAY!!:D:D:D

Grand, I just went . 'Oh lucky folks: when I saw it. Enough cynicism going around to be like. 'Ehh yous were picked for the ad' look everyone that's not random

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

They're sticking to the timetable in Mayo for now at least.

Nearly 5,000 Mayo homes set for NBP connection before Christmas

Published: Saturday, 23 January 2021 11:30

Progress on the roll-out of the National Broadband Plan is being made across County Mayo.

That’s according to Fine Gael TD Alan Dillon, who says surveying works in the surrounding townlands of Ballina and Castlebar have now been completed.

Over 4,800 premises around the county will be available for connection to high-speed broadband before Christmas.

National Broadband Ireland expects connections will commence throughout the townlands in the wider Castlebar area from August 2021 to October 2021 with 2,139 premises set for connection.

Connections throughout townlands in the Ballina area will commence from September 2021 to February 2022, with 2,678 premises set to be hooked up to the scheme.

The timeline in the Ballina area is slightly longer as a result of a greater number of premises being connected.

Deputy Dillon is a member of the Public Accounts Committee and has made suggestions aimed at accelerating the rollout to the Communications Minister, Eamon Ryan, such as increasing partnerships with local contractors and commercial providers.

https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/44619-nearly-5-000-mayo-homes-set-for-nbp-connection-before-christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Fantastic, before christmas 2021, is worth a puff piece from a TD? He should be asking wtf are they up to....

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Which year and where?

BarryM wrote: »

Which year and where?

Are these rhetorical questions, Barry?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

Anyone know if the townlands in the rollout plan (https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/) for each area are set in stone i.e. can they be added or removed as low level planning is ironed out?

Anyone know if the townlands in the rollout plan (https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/) for each area are set in stone i.e. can they be added or removed as low level planning is ironed out?

Doubt if the OLT boundaries necessarily stick tightly to townland boundaries. eg there's a few overlapping townlands between Tralee and Killarney. It shouldn't matter in that case as their roll-outs are both scheduled Aug-Oct 2021.

BALLYNACARRIG WEST, COOLBANE, COOLBANE EAST, COOLROE NORTH, LISTRY -all in pink

540797.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

Anybody able to tell me how this will pan out.

https://nbi.ie/map/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

paddyref wrote:
    Anybody able to tell me how this will pan out.

you will be connected when your area is scheduled to be connected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

baz9375 wrote: »
    Some more photos

One of these was set up 2 houses down from us, what timeline would it be up in running, asked in another thread and it varies a month or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

fergus1001 wrote: »
    you will be connected when your area is scheduled to be connected ?
    Looking at the street maps available the houses 2 doors to my left and 3 to my left and some across the road are scheduled to be connected.

For anyone in Cork, Nova's plan is not the same price as their regular fibre - they're charging for 500M/1000M package at €55 & €65 respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Was hoping for some official NBI news today since 25th of January is their official launch date as far as i'm aware? Haven't found anything yet

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

TheSegal wrote: »
    Was hoping for some official NBI news today since 25th of January is their official launch date as far as i'm aware? Haven't found anything yet

Me too. The NBI eircode checker hasn't been updated for my address in Cavan or any in Carrigaline. Digiweb have updated their website this morning with NBI info and signup form.

https://digiweb.ie/nbi-ftth-broadband/?fbclid=IwAR1JnQgjksnuq7OBaGxSX4FFSxwdOJDHbaMUUrbSTLPm4NP7jncfLDEp8ns%2Baem_AUzIrETXlgRPQTRQwtNia6_es8AoRDNKfjm87syM9QFjotkcgYK-PTCHfy4KViM3MP7261ON2YeyxfF3Tkr6eNHANRthnNrd1_3XjhknjrCeVw

Big sky announcement (big in the sense that theyre making it big)
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0125/1191840-sky-and-national-broadband-plan/

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

baz9375 wrote: »
    Me too. The NBI eircode checker hasn't been updated for my address in Cavan or any in Carrigaline. Digiweb have updated their website this morning with NBI info and signup form.

https://digiweb.ie/nbi-ftth-broadband/?fbclid=IwAR1JnQgjksnuq7OBaGxSX4FFSxwdOJDHbaMUUrbSTLPm4NP7jncfLDEp8ns%2Baem_AUzIrETXlgRPQTRQwtNia6_es8AoRDNKfjm87syM9QFjotkcgYK-PTCHfy4KViM3MP7261ON2YeyxfF3Tkr6eNHANRthnNrd1_3XjhknjrCeVw

Yes we are placing live orders as of this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Digiweb wrote: »
    Yes we are placing live orders as of this morning

The NBI Fibre 1000 deal works out at less than €55pm for the first 12 months. Up until a recent price cut, I was paying that to my WISP for a 20mbps package that was so unreliable I bought a 3/4g router and a 3 sim card @ €20pm for backup!

Advertisement