Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Pique wrote: »
    The NBI Fibre 1000 deal works out at less than €55pm for the first 12 months. Up until a recent price cut, I was paying that to my WISP for a 20mbps package that was so unreliable I bought a 3/4g router and a 3 sim card @ €20pm for backup!

The death of these WISP's can't come quickly enough, terrible service and rip-off wherever you go. I know of one WISP who is actively trying to discourage people against fibre in a type of david v goliath shop local and support the little guy approach supported by idiots on a large community facebook page it has hijacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

theguzman wrote: »
    The death of these WISP's can't come quickly enough, terrible service and rip-off wherever you go. I know of one WISP who is actively trying to discourage people against fibre in a type of david v goliath shop local and support the little guy approach supported by idiots on a large community facebook page it has hijacked.

The better WISPs have invested in their systems and are reselling to the customers they already have when fibre becomes available!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

That's a tad unfair. Plenty of reliable WISPs around the country who provided a solution to many who could get nothing else. Airwire, Digiweb, Lightnet, etc come to mind.
    Yes there are a few cowboys among them but that's no different to other sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

It depends on who your with and where you are really. People in the South East (mainly Wexford) who are lucky enough to be covered by rocket broadband and/or Whizzy Internet are delighted with them, especially when the alternative is 1/0.5 from eir. I was on 50/5 with rocket for €40/month including phone.

The upload wasn't enough for some files I have to sync for college etc. Range them up, phone answered straight away and changed to 40/10 within 5 minutes at no extra cost. They were also one of the first resellers of SIRO/eir FTTH/presumably NBI in the future also. I'll be making a point of sticking with them when NBI comes around. The customer service alone won't be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

Ducting going up on the poles today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Private contractors are digging up the road here yesterday to lay down ducting, previous one must be useless or blocked. They are making great progress, 100m trench dug, laid green plastic ducting in it, and filled it back in. They have another 120m stretch to do now but said it's the last bit of works they have to do around the Carnmore area for fiber. Impressed because a different contractor took 3 weeks to lay 50m of ducting before Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

Poles being replaced around Bree, Co. Wexford this morning. Rollout is due for the area between Aug and Oct 2021 so good to see some movement after being surveyed at the start of May last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Just had a chap from NBI call to the door looking for permission to trim trees to allow for fibre line to be installed - i told him cut whatever he needs. On the NBI website my house its estimated December 2021 - May 2022 but they seem way ahead going by this chap.

He told me they will be cutting the trees all along my road in the next couple of weeks and cabling will be laid a few weeks after it again. Surely if the cable is laid it won't be long until the ISPs are rolling out the service?

I'm on a rural road in north County Dublin for what it's worth - currently on 6mb line so this is a god send

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

jones wrote: »
    Just had a chap from NBI call to the door looking for permission to trim trees to allow for fibre line to be installed - i told him cut whatever he needs. On the NBI website my house its estimated December 2021 - May 2022 but they seem way ahead going by this chap.

He told me they will be cutting the trees all along my road in the next couple of weeks and cabling will be laid a few weeks after it again. Surely if the cable is laid it won't be long until the ISPs are rolling out the service?

I'm on a rural road in north County Dublin for what it's worth - currently on 6mb line so this is a god send

Same happened along where I live but that was 4 months ago. Be hopeful for May '21 and anything earlier being a bonus.

Lol just looked at your dates again. They must be way ahead in your area!! Those dates may get updated on the nbi website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

jones wrote:

I assume this is what happened to us in east cork. Herself said someone called asking about cutting trees on the road i asked her if they were from nbi? She then said whats nbi.i had a look anyhow and they trimmed the trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

marvsins wrote:
    Lol just looked at your dates again. They must be way ahead in your area!! Those dates may get updated on the nbi website.

My premises is down as dec 21 - may 22 and the trees have been trimmed recently.

Maybe i'm getting ahead of myself but i wouldn't see the point in trimming the trees now if they aren't going to installing the cable shortly. According to this chap they would be laying the cable a 'few weeks' after the trimming so unless there is a massive lead time to activate the line (hopefully there isn't) surely it's not a year away? I know the website only gets updated every quarter so maybe we are ahead of schedule.

Anyway SFA i can do about it either way but it was a pleasant surprise his morning

Nolars wrote: »
    I assume this is what happened to us in east cork. Herself said someone called asking about cutting trees on the road i asked her if they were from nbi? She then said whats nbi.i had a look anyhow and they trimmed the trees.

The chap did tell me he was cutting trees in Carrigaline last week so it seems to be the same "batch" (at different sides of the country ha).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

The chap did tell me he was cutting trees in Carrigaline last week so it seems to be the same "batch" (at different sides of the country ha).

Isn't there a ban on hedge trimming from March - August (incl) or do NBI have an exemption?

clohamon wrote: »
    Isn't there a ban on hedge trimming from March - August (incl) or do NBI have an exemption?

Maybe thats whats going on alright get it done before the ban

Trees were cut back here about 3 months ago and lines were going up on the poles today. We are scheduled for May - July 2021 so that might give you some idea of time between the different phases. They probably need to get the trees cut before the leaves make it more difficult. They did most of it from the ground here with a long poled pruning saw so they need to be careful not to cut the existing lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

More delays to the rollout posted by NBI today on https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/

Carrigaline gone from Dec 2020 - Feb 2021 to March '21 - May '21 despite apparently launching a few days ago?

Cavan pushed to May '21, Galway to July '21, Ballinasloe to Aug '21

Limerick brought forward by a month to Apr - Jun '21.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

NBAiii wrote: »

Carrigaline gone from Dec 2020 - Feb 2021 to March '21 - May '21 despite apparently launching a few days ago?

I'm in Carrgaline rollout area and still says Dec 20 to Feb 21 on the tracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

The page, which NBI seem to be using to communicate their plans, was only updated today with those dates. Make of that what you will.

Oh for fecksake, this isn't a good sign if they are delaying things at the very start. Hopefully not a result of TDs interfering in the process. Surprised by delays too considering fiber is hanging on a lot of poles in my area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Going by that I should have it soon but going by my eircode it still says pending survey.

Messaged NBI on Twitter and also emailed them about the delays. Taylor on twitter is looking into the issue but the email response was a generic response saying that "the build is underway and will be completed in the coming months".

NBAiii wrote: »

Looks like it has changed again

Cavan is Jan 21 - May 21
    Galway is May 21 - July 21
    Ballinasloe is June 21 - Aug 21

The others remain as above so hopefully the Limerick area starts going live in April.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Same here. And so the runaround begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

TheSegal wrote: »
    Messaged NBI on Twitter and also emailed them about the delays. Taylor on twitter is looking into the issue but the email response was a generic response saying that "the build is underway and will be completed in the coming months".

I messaged them through Facebook and got the following:

“Hi Barry,
    Thank you for reaching out to us!
    The network build is currently in progress in your locality and fibre broadband is anticipated to be available between February 2021 - April 2021.
    The information on our table refers to many townlands in Cavan, anticipated connection dates will vary from townland to townland.
    Thanks,
    Taylor”

Just got the following text from Digiweb :-) I'm in Cloverhill, Co.Cavan

“ Dear Customer, thank you for your recent Digiweb NBI pre order. Your target go live date is from February 2021. We will notify you as soon as we have any further updates. Digiweb 1800285828”

I just got the following text :(

"Your target go live date is May 2021"

Not what I was hoping for but better than waiting until next year I suppose. My contract with Digiweb will be over by that stage so might be able to look for other suppliers with cheaper rates so not all bad

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

They trimmed some of the trees along my road in spring last year and we were due to be set up between Dec 20-Feb 21 but were pushed back to Dec 21-May 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

baz9375 wrote: »
    Just got the following text from Digiweb :-)

“ Dear Customer, thank you for your recent Digiweb NBI pre order. Your target go live date is from February 2021. We will notify you as soon as we have any further updates. Digiweb 1800285828”
    Whereabouts?

• Advertisement

Whereabouts?

Sorry, Updated post - I'm in Cloverhill, Co.Cavan.

Advertisement