Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

The Cush wrote: »
    Where-we-are-today.jpg

I'm in north county Kilkenny and what's strange is that according to the NBI website and the list they have of all upcoming connections on the rollout page ( https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/ ), my address address is pending survey with no mention of any Kilkenny connections at all.

But according to the map above it is showing the status as "In design" !?

It's all very confusing as even as far back on the 10th our local councillor was in the local paper saying..

"We’re very fortunate that our neighbour, Jim Doyle, and his company, entegro, are doing the survey and design work which form the critical foundation work for the National Broadband Plan," she said.
    My understanding from him is that they’ve now completed their assessment of Kilkenny city and 20km outside of it as well as Johnstown and the surrounding hinterland. We anxiously await news of when we’ll be connected and get the service we need, even though we understand this is not part of entegro’s role.
    "

I emailed NBI and go the stock wait and see reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Just outside Ballon,Carlow here and the NBI folks were around here last week pruning the tree branches and are just up the road from me today replacing some of the poles they marked last week.

checking the google map linked earlier I see us as being in DA69 and the NBI site says it will be available from Sept to Nov 2021.

Delighted to see some progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

Got an email from Starlink today to order their service. Mid to late 2021 €499.00 Hardware, service €99 and shipping €61. Our estate is due fibre from NBI September- November around 50% of the house are getting connected excluding mine. Was told mine will be included by NBI but when i pop in the eircode its still not showing up for connection. Now this thing about houses on less than 30mbps will be included is it worth the wait or sign up to starlink?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Got an email from Starlink today to order their service. Mid to late 2021 €499.00 Hardware, service €99 and shipping €61. Our estate is due fibre from NBI September- November around 50% of the house are getting connected excluding mine. Was told mine will be included by NBI but when i pop in the eircode its still not showing up for connection. Now this thing about houses on less than 30mbps will be included is it worth the wait or sign up to starlink?

Your estate is getting connected by NBI but your house isnt?

Something is off there so. When you look at the nbi website using your eircode what comes up? Does it say premises pending survey or does it give you the timeframe? What about houses to your left and right?

No way the NBI would only connect half an estate, unless you are marked as being out of the intervention area possibly because its incorrectly thinking some of the houses in your estate can already get FTTH?

when i put my eircode in to NBI it says Not in Intervention Area but when i use the eircode from the first house coming in to the estate it says Your premises is in the Intervention Area and surveying is underway in the locality. High speed fibre broadband is anticipated to be available in your area within the date range below.*

Date:
    September 2021 - November 2021
    Several house here are being skipped we are all connected to the exchange up the road, there is no cabinet. I did send NBI pictures last year about this and they said i should be include and they will let me know when i am but I'm still down as not in intervention area. i went shopping today to the local town and seen several NBI vans at the local power station which is 10 minutes from my house . I wonder when is NBIs site updated?

• Advertisement

https://ibb.co/8NbM2M4 This is the estate.

when i put my eircode in to NBI it says Not in Intervention Area but when i use the eircode from the first house coming in to the estate it says Your premises is in the Intervention Area and surveying is underway in the locality. High speed fibre broadband is anticipated to be available in your area within the date range below.*

Date:
    Several house here are being skipped we are all connected to the exchange up the road, there is no cabinet. I did send NBI pictures last year about this and they said i should be include and they will let me know when i am but I'm still down as not in intervention area. i went shopping today to the local town and seen several NBI vans at the local power station which is 10 minutes from my house . I wonder when is NBIs site updated?

Well unless some of your estate can already get FTTH or Virgin (OR speeds >30Mb, you need to get on to them. Id suggest trying to find out who your county Broadband Officer is. They should be able to assist there. You def want to get it sorted before NBI come and go!

If you are already getting speeds 30 and up you won't be considered.

https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail/main/

Talk of including people below 100Mb is just that at the moment. An EU directive but as far as NBI are currently concerned, they are only connecting people lower than 30Mb.

EDIT: Quick look at that eircode states 30/8 so if you are getting these speeds you might be ignored? Not sure what the official cut off is. The likes of The Cush or NBAiii in here might be able to shed more light.

Ive 28mbps from Digiweb and no other house has faster speeds , some houses are on 17mbps. I might email NBI and see if they are going to include me or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

joe123 wrote: »
    Id suggest trying to find out who your county Broadband Officer is. They should be able to assist there.

Here's a link to that....

https://assets.gov.ie/3908/061218122032-88ceac03820f4db6b6807c6178f5c2b4.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cregmon

https://ibb.co/8NbM2M4 This is the estate.

That's much worse than what I've seen around our area (Sth RN / E GY). Is that part of Carlow on a deployment boundary or something? I've only seen discrepencies where premises side by side were being connected to different dist hubs, but an estate like yours should be either all or nothing.

• Advertisement

10 minutes from carlow town and the exchange is 5 minutes up the road it makes no sense. Some of the houses past me are getting connected, how they haven’t my house down I don’t know. There are 11 houses past me unoccupied and they are down as getting connected. Hopefully when NBI update there website my house should be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

10 minutes from carlow town and the exchange is 5 minutes up the road it makes no sense. Some of the houses past me are getting connected, how they haven’t my house down I don’t know. There are 11 houses past me unoccupied and they are down as getting connected. Hopefully when NBI update there website my house should be included.

Concentrate on getting your connection sorted with NBI than satellite broadband it would absolutely madness to get that if you have opportunity of fibre around you. It could just as easily be a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

user1842 wrote: »
    Could be one for Comreg and a USO?

There is NO USO provision for broadband. Only for telephony and basic internet access. Dial-up is sufficient. So Comreg has absolutely no say on getting OpenEIR to provide broadband anywhere.

That train left the station, when they sold Eircom off and didn't put that provision in there.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

Marlow wrote: »
    There is NO USO provision for broadband. Only for telephony and basic internet access. Dial-up is sufficient. So Comreg has absolutely no say on getting OpenEIR to provide broadband anywhere.

That train left the station, when they sold Eircom off and didn't put that provision in there.

/M

Well that is unfortunate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

smiddyboy wrote: »
    I'm in north county Kilkenny and what's strange is that according to the NBI website and the list they have of all upcoming connections on the rollout page ( https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/ ), my address address is pending survey with no mention of any Kilkenny connections at all.

But according to the map above it is showing the status as "In design" !?

It's all very confusing as even as far back on the 10th our local councillor was in the local paper saying..

"We’re very fortunate that our neighbour, Jim Doyle, and his company, entegro, are doing the survey and design work which form the critical foundation work for the National Broadband Plan," she said.
    My understanding from him is that they’ve now completed their assessment of Kilkenny city and 20km outside of it as well as Johnstown and the surrounding hinterland. We anxiously await news of when we’ll be connected and get the service we need, even though we understand this is not part of entegro’s role.
    "

I emailed NBI and go the stock wait and see reply.

I wouldn't really to much on what the website says. I am almost ready for connection and the status on the website is still Pending Survey 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

db wrote: »
    I wouldn't really to much on what the website says. I am almost ready for connection and the status on the website is still Pending Survey ��

Dont be giving me hope like that!!!
    Granted not a sniff of the survey going on in my town, also in kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭NewClareman

It really depends on your circumstances. If you need broadband for work, then I would have thought that signing up to Starlink is a no-brainer. It bags your place in the queue and you can cancel later if circumstances change. (Prior to SpaceX shipping your Kit, your Deposit Payment is fully refundable and can be requested at any time.)

There are loads of people who want to stay working from home indefinitely, at least part time. It is likely that, post-lockdowns good broadband will be essential for this is to be facilitated. This means that the demand for Starlink will increase substantially.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

db wrote: »
    This appeared on the pole outside my house today. Any idea how long after the DP is installed before it will be ready to order?

You're in the Limerick build if I remember correctly? If so going by NBI's own estimate I would not be expecting connection before April at the earliest.

Date:

Have you been in contact with the Department (DECC)? They control the mapping and NBI basically build where they are told to.

You might be unlucky in that DECC have marked you down as getting at least 30Mb/s and therefore you will not be connected. It is up to you to make the case that you are not receiving 30Mb/s. As already stated get your local broadband officer involved, get your local TD involved.

DECC can be contacted at: broadband@decc.gov.ie

Cases like yours really highlight the nonsense of the mapping process. We see premises that have 90Mb/s in Cork getting connected while you might miss out by 1 or 2 megabit.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

NBI have updated their site with a Premises Surveyed number, a BCPs Connected number and a Schools Connected number.

Notably absent are Premises Passed and Premises Connected numbers. I suspect we won't be seeing them any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

NBAiii wrote: »
    Notably absent are Premises Passed and Premises Connected numbers. I suspect we won't be seeing them any time soon.
    Yes, it was a curiosity of Adrian Weckler's interview with McCourt that he kept referring to numbers 'Under Construction'. The Dept will be happy enough with the obscurification.

• Advertisement

Surveying looks to have slowed. They mentioned a while back they were on average, surveying 17k premises a month.

We are now nearly 14 months in and they are at 181511 so ~14k a month. Suppose the first few months may have been slower to start so they could still be on track.

They also mentioned whatever about build, speeding up surveying was entirely possible but doesn't look to have happened yet anyways.

Middle of next year to have all premises surveyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

joe123 wrote: »
    Surveying looks to have slowed. They mentioned a while back they were on average, surveying 17k premises a month.

We are now nearly 14 months in and they are at 181511 so ~14k a month. Suppose the first few months may have been slower to start so they could still be on track.

They also mentioned whatever about build, speeding up surveying was entirely possible but doesn't look to have happened yet anyways.

Middle of next year to have all premises surveyed?

Not sure when the surveying actually started but going on media/Dáil reports it looks like this.

544911.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

North/South/Mid Louth? And are you close to a major town?

Halfways between Carrickmacross and Dundalk.....down an L road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Slates

coolisin wrote: »
    Dont be giving me hope like that!!!
    Granted not a sniff of the survey going on in my town, also in kilkenny.

All the North Kilkenny are around Johnstown was surveyed last Summer.

I spoke to surveyors a number of times. We will have fiber by the end of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

DPs installed on poles in upper Rochestown, Cork. We're due for connection sometime in next 3-4 weeks.

545044.jpg

545047.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Anyone know the average time from DP installation to actual connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

What is with all the fiber cable wrapped around the DP?

Surely this would not be enough to connect a house with?

user1842 wrote: »
    What is with all the fiber cable wrapped around the DP?

Surely this would not be enough to connect a house with?

They bring the dp down to inside the van to do the connections

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I'm due for installation between August and October this year however this morning the NBI guys were rolling out fibre just down the hill from my house coming in my direction. Hopefully, it will arrive before the predicted date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

They bring the dp down to inside the van to do the connections

i have a DP on a pole near me, but it does not have the black cable wrapped around it, any idea what that means as in what else is left for them to complete on it?

Advertisement