Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CelicaGT

Hey guys, do NBI have to get permission to stand a pole on your land?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

NBI crews clearing branches from around the telephone poles outside tipp town today, not sure what else they were up to just looked like general surveying/cleaning up. That's the 2nd time they've been out this way, during the summer they were out marking down the locations of the poles and seeing where the existing copper was connecting to houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

There was a large update to the NBI rollout plan today. They now have sections for build in progress, of which there are a lot more, survey underway and survey planned with dates out to December 2023.

https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Weird how my eircode still shows Dec 2020 to Feb 2021 despite the rollout changing to Mar 2021 to June 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

CelicaGT wrote: »
    Hey guys, do NBI have to get permission to stand a pole on your land?

Interesting question this, they appear to be using openEir's poles exclusively, what will happen for houses without a landline or current EIR infrastructure? Will OpenEIR and their contractors come along and stand the poles required and NBI then rent the access to provide you with fibre? Or will there be instances of NBI standing their own poles and owing them outright?

• Advertisement

theguzman wrote: »
    Interesting question this, they appear to be using openEir's poles exclusively, what will happen for houses without a landline or current EIR infrastructure? Will OpenEIR and their contractors come along and stand the poles required and NBI then rent the access to provide you with fibre? Or will there be instances of NBI standing their own poles and owing them outright?

They have already erected, I would imagine, hundreds of new poles in various areas. These are brand new not replacment eir poles.

To answer the other question, I believe they do need written permission to erect a pole on private land.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

NBAiii wrote:
    There was a large update to the NBI rollout plan today. They now have sections for build in progress, of which there are a lot more, survey underway and survey planned with dates out to December 2023.

Looks like the eir codes haven't been updated. It now says midelton is build in progress but my eircode says surveying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

My location is down for a January to December 2023 connection date. That's a bit disappointing as we only have 6mb WISP at the moment and no mobile signal.

There was also a pdf uploaded with some more information about how NBI construct their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

corsav6 wrote: »
    My location is down for a January to December 2023 connection date. That's a bit disappointing as we only have 6mb WISP at the moment and no mobile signal.

dont even have a date on mine. keep hopein open eir might run a bit more and cover us :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

There have been some changes to the NBI roll-out page. As indicated by @NBAiii the total connections forecast for up to Feb 2022 is now 83,575

New entrants
    Deployment Area (DA)|Counties Covered in DA|Status of Deployment Area|Anticipated Date for Connection
    Arranmore|Donegal|Survey Planned|November 2022 – January 2023|
    Athenry|Galway|Survey Underway|March 2022 – May 2022|
    Athlone|Westmeath/ Roscommon/ Offaly|Survey Underway|January 2022 – March 2022|
    Ballycarney|Wexford|Survey Underway|April 2022 – June 2022|
    Ballydavid|Kerry|Survey Underway|June 2022 – August 2022|
    Ballyheigue|Kerry|Survey Underway|August 2022 – October 2022|
    Ballylinan|Laois/ Kildare|Survey Underway|February 2023 – April 2023|
    Borris|Kilkenny/ Carlow/ Wexford|Survey Underway|July 2022 – December 2022|
    Carrick-on-Shannon|Roscommon/ Leitrim/ Sligo|Survey Underway|February 2022 – April 2022|
    Carrick-on-Suir|Kilkenny/ Tipperary/ Waterford|Survey Planned|January 2023 – December 2023|
    Carrickmacross|Monaghan/ Louth|Survey Planned|January 2023 – December 2023|
    Carrowholly, Westport (MO)|Mayo|Survey Planned|January 2023 – December 2023|
    Cashel|Tipperary|Survey Underway|July 2022 – December 2022|
    Castlegarron|Sligo/ Leitrim|Survey Underway|January 2023 – December 2023|
    Castlegregory|Kerry|Survey Underway|June 2022 – August 2022|
    Castlerea|Roscommon/ Galway|Survey Planned|January 2023 – December 2023|
    Clones|Monaghan/ Cavan|Survey Underway|November 2022 – January 2023|
    Clonmel|Tipperary/ Waterford|Network Build In Progress|January 2022 – March 2022|
    Creeslough|Donegal|Survey Underway|July 2022 – December 2022|
    Curragh Camp|Kildare/ Wicklow|Survey Planned|January 2023 – December 2023|
    Delvin|Westmeath/ Meath|Survey Underway|July 2022 – December 2022|
    Dunboyne/Clonee|Dublin/ Kildare/ Meath|Survey Underway|April 2022 – June 2022|
    Emyvale|Monaghan|Survey Underway|November 2022 – January 2023|
    Enniskerry|Wicklow / Dublin|Survey Underway|January 2022 – March 2022|
    Gort|Galway/ Clare|Network Build In Progress|January 2022 – March 2022|
    Inishfree Island, Burtonport (DL)|Donegal|Survey Planned|November 2022 – January 2023|
    Inverin|Galway|Survey Underway|January 2022 – March 2022|
    Johnstown|Kilkenny/ Laois/ Tipperary|Survey Underway|July 2022 – December 2022|
    Kilgarvan|Kerry|Survey Underway|July 2022 – December 2022|
    Kilkenny|Kilkenny|Survey Underway|July 2022 – December 2022|
    Kilkishen|Clare|Survey Underway|July 2022 – December 2022|
    Killadoon|Mayo|Survey Underway|January 2023 – December 2023|
    Letterkenny|Donegal|Survey Underway|June 2022 – August 2022|
    Longford|Longford/ Roscommon|Survey Underway|March 2022 – May 2022|
    Loughrea|Galway|Survey Underway|May 2022 – July 2022|
    Lusk|Dublin/ Meath|Survey Underway|April 2022 – June 2022|
    Mountrath|Laois|Survey Planned|January 2023 – December 2023|
    Navan|Meath|Survey Planned|January 2023 – December 2023|
    Newport (MO)|Mayo|Survey Underway|January 2023 – December 2023|
    Rathmore|Cork/Kerry|Survey Underway|January 2023 – March 2023|
    Redcross|Wicklow|Survey Underway|November 2022 – January 2023|
    Riverstown RVN|Louth|Survey Underway|July 2022 – December 2022|
    Roscrea|Tipperary/ Laois / Offaly|Survey Underway|February 2022 – April 2022|
    Rutland Island, Burtonport (DL)|Donegal|Survey Planned|November 2022 – January 2023|
    Templemartin|Cork|Survey Planned|January 2023 – December 2023|
    Tomhaggard|Wexford|Survey Underway|July 2022 – December 2022|
    Valentia|Kerry|Survey Underway|July 2022 – December 2022|
    Youghal|Cork/ Waterford|Survey Underway|January 2022 – March 2022|

Changes to previous completion dates.

Deployment Area (DA)|Counties Covered in DA|Status of Deployment Area|Anticipated Date for Connection|advance(+)/delay(-) days
    Limerick|Limerick/ Clare|Network Build In Progress|June 2021 – August 2021|-62|
    Kilcoole|Wicklow|Network Build In Progress|September 2021 – November 2021|-61|
    Mullingar|Westmeath|Network Build In Progress|October 2021 – December 2021|-61|
    Blessington|Wicklow/ Kildare/ Dublin|Network Build In Progress|October 2021 – December 2021|-31|
    Carlow|Carlow/ Laois/ Kildare|Network Build In Progress|October 2021 – December 2021|-31|
    Carrigaline|Cork|Network Build In Progress|March 2021 – June 2021|-30|
    Castlebar|Mayo|Network Build In Progress|September 2021 – November 2021|-30|
    Waterford|Waterford/ Kilkenny|Survey Underway|November 2021 – January 2022|28|
    Tipperary|Tipperary/ Limerick|Network Build In Progress|August 2021 – October 2021|30|
    Galway|Galway|Network Build In Progress|April 2021 – June 2021|31|
    Monaghan|Monaghan|Network Build In Progress|July 2021 – September 2021|31|
    Tralee|Kerry|Network Build In Progress|July 2021 – September 2021|31|
    Midleton|Cork|Network Build In Progress|November 2021 – January 2022|120|
    Skerries|Dublin/ Meath|Network Build In Progress|November 2021 – January 2022|120|
    Portlaoise|Laois|Survey Underway|February 2022 – April 2022|245|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Redriddick

NBI guy sitting in his car outside my gaff today. All trees and hedging cut back now. Website updated to say build in progress. Site says August to October but I reckon it will be well before that. I hope anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Pretty happy with this update I should hopefully get connected by Christmas this year. The Eircodes definitely haven't been updated yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Nice to see Survey Planned now part of the website, albeit a very small list.

One thing I'm always left a little confused by is there phrasing "On a rolling 18 month basis, NBI will regularly update the website"

This means what exactly?

I assume more deployment areas will be surveyed within the next 18 months considering what they have listed under "Planned Surveys" only equates to 29k premises. Thats roughly 2 months work based on their past comments of 17k premises a month.

EDIT: Just a reminder that it'd be great if people would include their area when mentioning works going on near them. Gives us all an indication of how the rollout is progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Any deployment area not on this latest list is going to be well in 2023 or 2024 so I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

At least we have some info now - not everyone is going to be happy about it but it takes away the uncertainty about when you might get connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

I see they've finally added Donegal to that rollout plan list, they announced surveying work up this direction back in October. I'm probably going to have to wait for an intermediate local exchange between my area and the regional exchange based on that map in the pdf.

Still, good to see some updates and some relatively solid info.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Any deployment area not on this latest list is going to be well in 2023 or 2024 so I guess?

I'm not sure if this is the case. The NBI ppt says that they are building the regional exchange deployment areas first, but there are lots of these in their own diagram that are not on the updated list

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Good to see the information from them. They were likely under pressure to justify the backhall build out in areas that were already served by Eirs rollout like our own in Galway. We are just on that 20km radius but have heard from a local Councillor that further out towards the next village could be another few years and I would assume a lot of questions were being asked why. That pdf should be sent to every councilor up and down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Good to see the information from them. They were likely under pressure to justify the backhall build out in areas that were already served by Eirs rollout like our own in Galway. We are just on that 20km radius but have heard from a local Councillor that further out towards the next village could be another few years and I would assume a lot of questions were being asked why. That pdf should be sent to every councilor up and down the country.

Mind me asking what village he was referring to and what councilor? I'm one of the unlucky ones outside of the initial Galway build.

Was told after constant chasing that my town could be looking at year 5 in Galway and so far everything is pointing to that.

Think I asked this before but does anyone know if;

For the regional exchanges I understand these get built first, but then is it literally join the dots? That they have to build then the next adjacent local exchange and then the next exchange to that local exchange and build out from there? So one local exchange connects to another local which eventually leads back to the regional?

If the above is the case, if we see one local exchange being built, we could then assume the next local exchange beside that would be next in line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

joe123 wrote: »
    Mind me asking what village he was referring to and what councilor? I'm one of the unlucky ones outside of the initial Galway build.

Was told after constant chasing that my town could be looking at year 5 in Galway and so far everything is pointing to that.

Think I asked this before but does anyone know if;

For the regional exchanges I understand these get built first, but then is it literally join the dots? That they have to build then the next adjacent local exchange and then the next exchange to that local exchange and build out from there? So one local exchange connects to another local which eventually leads back to the regional?

If the above is the case, if we see one local exchange being built, we could then assume the next local exchange beside that would be next in line?

I'm almost certain you were on to the same councilor. I'm talking about Annaghdown and Headford.

The Eir rollout a few years ago was far more patchy and didn't reach a lot of houses. The NBI rollout has been far more thorough. EIR should have been forced at the time in the contract to serve a certain threshold. Instead they picked the low hanging fruit and moved on. Hoping the providers for NBI start poaching off the people on the Eir cables once it gets enabled

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

The map on the NBI website has been updated to match the new rollout plan. My Eircode has moved from "Pending Survey" to "Survey Planned", and we now have an approximate date range of January 2023 - December 2023.

While that may be almost three years at worst case scenario, I'm hoping my proximity to the OLT will have me towards the earlier part of it. In any case, just to be up and running with any sort of official date is a massive boost.

A lot happier now for seeing that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

yup, map is updated. March 2021 to June 2021 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

I'm down for survey planned with no more details. Neighboring OLT is June 2022. Have some comfort in entering into a new WISP contract now without wondering are NBI going to turn up in the next few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

My house was not included in the rollout but the houses to the leftward, after months on to NBI this is their reply, It is noted that your premises was originally indicated as being in the “blue” commercial area on the Broadband map, as commercial operators had or intended to provide high speed broadband at that location. Following receipt of your enquiry, our technical team have reviewed this classification and it has been determined that this premises should in fact be reclassified as being within the National Broadband Plan (NBP) state Intervention Area.

We will be in contact with you when this process is complete. At that point you will be able to register your interest on the National Broadband Ireland (NBI) website to receive regular updates about the roll out of the National Broadband Plan in your area. We will explain the details of how to sign up, when your premises has formally transferred into the NBP Intervention Area. I just check my eircode and I'm still not in the intervention area. Now i checked the houses that are getting it and the time frame has changed from September- October to this We are actively working in your area to deliver high speed fibre broadband! It is anticipated that high speed fibre broadband will be available in your area within the date range below.*

Date:
    October 2021 - December 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

_Puma_ wrote: »
    EIR should have been forced at the time in the contract to serve a certain threshold. Instead they picked the low hanging fruit and moved on. Hoping the providers for NBI start poaching off the people on the Eir cables once it gets enabled

Providers cannot poach eircom's 300K concession premises using NBI's subsidised network, they'll have to use the openeir network....or build another one - without public subsidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Based on the new rollout plan I've been pushed out by one month...

To: October 2021 – December 2021

...my eircode on nbi.ie has also now been updated.

So, not too bad. I'm still thrilled to be getting it this soon and this is like the rural electrification to this auld fella. I've worked from home for the past 35 years in IT. I wished I had had decent bb before I retired but hopefully will be around for a while to enjoy it!!

Location is in the username :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

My house was not included in the rollout but the houses to the leftward, after months on to NBI this is their reply, It is noted that your premises was originally indicated as being in the “blue” commercial area on the Broadband map, as commercial operators had or intended to provide high speed broadband at that location. Following receipt of your enquiry, our technical team have reviewed this classification and it has been determined that this premises should in fact be reclassified as being within the National Broadband Plan (NBP) state Intervention Area.

We will be in contact with you when this process is complete. At that point you will be able to register your interest on the National Broadband Ireland (NBI) website to receive regular updates about the roll out of the National Broadband Plan in your area. We will explain the details of how to sign up, when your premises has formally transferred into the NBP Intervention Area. I just check my eircode and I'm still not in the intervention area. Now i checked the houses that are getting it and the time frame has changed from September- October to this We are actively working in your area to deliver high speed fibre broadband! It is anticipated that high speed fibre broadband will be available in your area within the date range below.*

Date:
    October 2021 - December 2021

Well done. Never, ever give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

I still don't know if I'm going to be included? NBI are a joke i think. Who does up these maps? How can someone put an orange dot on 3 house beside one another and then skip the next 4 houses its a joke. I just checked a housing estate in Palatine carlow and none of them are getting connected and there speed 28mbps but the next house on the road after the estate is included in NBI. I was told by NBI last year that NBI don't own the maps the Department of communication does?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

yup, map is updated. March 2021 to June 2021 for me

We've gone from "Pending Survey" to "Surveying Underway" with a date of "January 2022 - March 2022"..

I assume these dates are the earliest possible date, and unlikey to be before the stated date range.

Advertisement