Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

We've gone from "Pending Survey" to "Surveying Underway" with a date of "January 2022 - March 2022"..

I assume these dates are the earliest possible date, and unlikey to be before the stated date range.
    We were originally Dec 2020 to Feb 2021 and its been pushed back by 4 months so I wouldn't entirely trust the dates

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭andy.dunleavy

We've moved from Jan - Mar 2021 to Jan - May 2021 in Cavan - Build In Progress

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I still don't know if I'm going to be included? NBI are a joke i think. Who does up these maps? How can someone put an orange dot on 3 house beside one another and then skip the next 4 houses its a joke. I just checked a housing estate in Palatine carlow and none of them are getting connected and there speed 28mbps but the next house on the road after the estate is included in NBI. I was told by NBI last year that NBI don't own the maps the Department of communication does?

Can only assume they used what I think is called a prequel test or something like that. So on the system it will say speed available is 30Mb, but in reality you might get lower?

There's been reports though that some areas already getting 70-90Mb are included in the NBI rollout so yeah, looks like there's been a few errors.

Unfortunately I'm still premises pending survey (north Galway) but it is good to see survey planned dates popping up for some. I just hope they continue to this type of visibility. Far better to know a date than sit in darkness.

Id love theer be an announcement that they are accelerating the rollout, but its all gone a bit quiet on that front so not looking too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭trant

South County Dublin, our area just went to "Network build in progress" and the date got pushed by a month to October-December 2021.
    Still in contact with DCCAE about including our premises as every other house on our road is included. Pending formal review with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Dero wrote: »
    The map on the NBI website has been updated to match the new rollout plan. My Eircode has moved from "Pending Survey" to "Survey Planned", and we now have an approximate date range of January 2023 - December 2023.

While that may be almost three years at worst case scenario, I'm hoping my proximity to the OLT will have me towards the earlier part of it. In any case, just to be up and running with any sort of official date is a massive boost.

A lot happier now for seeing that. :)

Same here - obviously disappointed it's not coming sooner but so nice to have the actual info now instead of checking nbi.ie every 5 mins. I'll try to forget about it for a couple of years, maybe set a calendar reminder for December 2022 to check in on things. Who knows, it may even get accelerated in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I've gone from Survey Pending to Survey planned. No dates given but the other end of my road has "Network Build In Progress" dates moved from May 2021-July 2021 to June 2021-August 2021.

In Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

Knockraha in Cork has plenty of NBI ducting in place already

I assume its part of the Midleton rollout?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

Just checked my eircode after the recent update and I'm April - June 2022. We're on a border between 2 OLTs and other OLT is schedule for Aug-Oct this year around 4km away. We were surveyed in May 2020 so that's going to be a 2 year gap at least between survey and potential delivery. F*ck NBI, my work can't wait so I'm on the hunt for a WISP now on my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Quick question for those who've recently been updated to Survey Planned.

Is your Deployment Area/Townland listed within the tables over on https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/

11 Deployment areas listed there so wondering have more been updated outside of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MunsterM

joe123 wrote: »

Is your Deployment Area/Townland listed within the tables over on https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/

11 Deployment areas listed there so wondering have more been updated outside of this?

Changed to Survey Planned recently, but my townland is not on any of the lists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Yes mine is there - Templemartin. Was hoping it would be sooner as it was one of the red areas in that NBI presentation so would have thought it would be in the earlier bunch, but that’s the luck of the draw I suppose. 2023 isn’t so bad. Im still clinging to the happiness that this fibre rollout is happening at all as I genuinely thought it would never come to pass.

My townland isn't listed there but has been listed in previous townlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

Jofspring wrote: »
    My townland isn't listed there but has been listed in previous townlands.

Try clicking on the Department's map at your location. eg
    https://dcenr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=99c229dc4c414971afc50818b25337ef

545247.png

Make sure you're using the same townland name as the Department.
    Make sure that the townland has > 0 NBP intervention area premises.
    • If NBI think there are no intervention premises in a townland they leave it off the list.
    • If it overlaps an urban area that includes multiple VDSL failures it may also have been left off the list.
    • If it's near, or straddles, a deployment boundary it might have been re-allocated to the neighbouring deployment area.
    • Sometimes they make mistakes.

County: Limerick
    Townland: Friarstown (Ed Ballybricken)
    Total Premises in Townland: 96

Premises Covered:
    ● 52% (50) NBP Intervention Area
    ● 48% (46) commercial operators

For background visit www.broadband.gov.ie

That's what shows up for my townland.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Mines been updated to survey planned. My area isnt listed though. We were surveyed back in early November though so tbh i was expecting something more than survey planned :(..
    No timeframe given either unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

I think midleton may be one of the only ones that had moved up ? It was something like december 21 - may 22 now it is Nov 21 - Jan 22. It is a pretty big area so fingers crossed now.

Is your deployment area your nearest bcp? If so my deployment area is borris which actually is on the list for july to dec 22

That's what shows up for my townland.

Any of these?

545257.png

Looks Like you're in the Hospital deployment area.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Look like the map has been updated to reflect the updated rollout plan. My house now says Nov 21-Jan 22 so looks like we’re in the Midleton deployment area after all along with Passage West and Monkstown for some reason.

clohamon wrote: »
    Any of these?

545257.png

Looks Like you're in the Hospital deployment area.

Ya Friarstown (ED Ballybricken).

Kind of confused. All the areas around me are listed in the townlands as Network Build in Progress (I.e. Ballybricken north, south, Ballyneety etc..). Friarstown and Friarstown North are also listed but it doesn't distinguish which Friarstown though, ED Ballybricken or ED Roxborough.

The fact everyone around me is in the process of getting broadband I'm holding out hope I'll be this year anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Look like the map has been updated to reflect the updated rollout plan. My house now says Nov 21-Jan 22 so looks like we’re in the Midleton deployment area after all along with Passage West and Monkstown for some reason.
    I'm surprised Passage and Monkstown is so far down, I thought they'd include it in the Carrigaline rollout. Only parts of Pembroke and Harbour Heights in Passage have fibre which is surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

I'm surprised Passage and Monkstown is so far down, I thought they'd include it in the Carrigaline rollout. Only parts of Pembroke and Harbour Heights in Passage have fibre which is surprising.

They were originally included in the Carrigaline rollout but were pushed back in November along with Cobh, not sure why and neither are the NBI agents! I’m in Rathanker and it’s still on the list of townlands in the Carrigaline rollout as is Monkstown. None of the Passage townlands seem to be included anywhere and neither are Mahon and Blackrock yet are all seemingly being done as part of the Midleton rollout. It’s very strange and going to be a massive area to cover in just three months!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

I’m in the Portlaoise DA, which has been moved from an original estimate of July - Dec 2022, to now saying Feb - April 2022.
    Fantastic news if true. Anyone any idea why the date for this DA has moved forward so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

Ya Friarstown (ED Ballybricken).

Kind of confused. All the areas around me are listed in the townlands as Network Build in Progress (I.e. Ballybricken north, south, Ballyneety etc..). Friarstown and Friarstown North are also listed but it doesn't distinguish which Friarstown though, ED Ballybricken or ED Roxborough.

The fact everyone around me is in the process of getting broadband I'm holding out hope I'll be this year anyway.

Probably not what you want to hear but if you look at the attached image you'll see that the areas North of the red line will be included in the Limerick area rollout while those outside will have to wait for another area to be built.

I don't know how close you are to the line but it is bound to be annoying.

NBAiii wrote: »
    Probably not what you want to hear but if you look at the attached image you'll see that the areas North of the red line will be included in the Limerick area rollout while those outside will have to wait for another area to be built.

I'm about 100 yards from the line above. Where it is closest to me all houses north of the line for about 3km already have high speed broadband and are actually not considered apart of the intervention. The house the line passes through up from me is the last house in our area with high speed broadband already. The only hope I will take from it is there are houses further south from the line that are getting broadband between June 2021 - August 2021 so there must be some scope either side of the line if close enough. Fingers crossed anyway.

NBAiii wrote: »

Can you say why they won't just put all the red boundary lines on a map?

How do you know what deployment area youre in? Is it your closest bcp? I can provide my eircode via dm if anybody could help

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

How do you know what deployment area youre in? Is it your closest bcp? I can provide my eircode via dm if anybody could help

It'll be your closet OLT in one of the 227 deployment areas. If you're close to the edge of a deployment area you may not know which OLT you'll be connected to until the low level design for the area is completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭baz9375

We've moved from Jan - Mar 2021 to Jan - May 2021 in Cavan - Build In Progress

You look to be in same deployment as myself. Where are you in Cavan? I’m in Cloverhill.

• Advertisement

Go to the map linked below and click the nearest *big* circle icon that’s inside a grey boundary in which you live.
    The name and number of the deployment area should show in the sidebar.

545357.png
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1h1fSHXa6-cHDuEvBb52AupxYBQnNRtbq&usp=sharing

As it says in the map title, it’s an estimate and some of the boundaries are missing.

If you want to check that your townland is listed you can try using daraghwal's excellent URL constructor here.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116179725&postcount=2209

Advertisement