Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

The Cush wrote: »
    It'll be your closet OLT in one of the 227 deployment areas. If you're close to the edge of a deployment area you may not know which OLT you'll be connected to until the low level design for the area is completed.

Edit. Clohamon answered in post above. Thanks for help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Did NBI ever explain how they decide whatLocal exchange to work on? At first I thought it worked in a Regional exchange and out process such as:

Regional Exchange --> Nearest Local Exchange --> Next nearest local exchange and so on.

Regional exchange aside, it doesn't appear to be that way, taking Killadoon local exchange in Mayo as an example. Surveying is underway, but there are multiple other OLT's in between that and the nearest Regional Exchange in Castlebar without any activity.

So am I right in saying each Local Exchange has its one build back towards the Regional Exchange? Or does it actually work in a join the dots sort of path and this is just a weird selection?

Curious as my own local Exchange (Belclare which is directly north of the Galway Regional exchange is still "premises pending survey" which suggests 2024 at the earliest before any work, even though there no other local exchanges between that and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

clohamon wrote: »
    Can you say why they won't just put all the red boundary lines on a map?

I can't say because I don't know why. It seems to me that they could publish maps for the areas where design is complete and building has begun. For whatever reason they have decided to publish lists of townlands instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Do we have a list of the 33 regional areas to be built first? I've been trying to compare the image in the powerpoint but it doesn't seem to match up with the roll-out plan on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

Do we have a list of the 33 regional areas to be built first? I've been trying to compare the image in the powerpoint but it doesn't seem to match up with the roll-out plan on the website

The map in the pdf is ridiculous. They have no labels on the PoHs (regional exchanges) yet they have bizarrely labeled some of the minor exchanges which leads to confusion.

The Cush created a pdf with all the Deployment Areas and PoHs listed.

Another map from NBI is clearer. The PoHs are the green dots in it.

545419.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Yeah, it's not clear at all. In my own case, I'm in the Donadea area which seems to be one of the 33 in NBI's presentation but nothing seems to be happening which makes me believe the cush's pdf is more accurate.
    Their comms on this isn't great

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

In my opinion when they refer to the 33 regional exchanges being built first they mean they will be the first in that fibre-ring and building out to the local exchanges in that same fibre-ring from there, not necessarily building the national 33 first followed then the local exchanges.

That was my understanding from Peter Hendrick's presentation in that Total Telecom webinar recently.

Had a scan through the OLT locations for Galway. Currently looking like this:

545446.JPG
    • - 3 Orange are the Regional Exchanges
    • - 3 Grey Survey planned are not listed on the NBI rollout Survey Planned table, but if you look up the locations on their map, it gives that status without a date, so assume they will be next in line whenever that time comes?
    • - Should also point out I only spot checked a couple of townlands in each OLT but it appears that once that OLT has a status update, every townland within also receives the same update, regardless of location.

Cloonfad OLT is covering parts of Galway/Mayo/Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

Ringaskiddy and surronding area as part of the carrigaline deployment has gone live today

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

danny004 wrote: »
    Ringaskiddy and surronding area as part of the carrigaline deployment has gone live today
    Any idea when Raffeen/Hilltown/Upper Rochestown goes live?

• Advertisement

Any idea when Raffeen/Hilltown/Upper Rochestown goes live?

I dunno I just checked the NBI website but then when you go to order from VF the guys says NBI is still in testing phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Just checked my location which had been December 20 to Feb 21 (they have a DP box up on the pole outside my house) has now gone to March 21 to June 21. I'm not moving into my house until July 21 so no big deal for me and I presume I could be connected before that if I was ready.

around the Ballygarvan area, west of Carrigaline

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Another curious one Im not sure if its been dealt with here ,I was talking to an Eir employee last week and he said that NBI wont be providing VoIP initially so your telephone line will have to stay for your phone number. He did say he thinks it will all be consolidated by a single provider under single bill though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

Another curious one Im not sure if its been dealt with here ,I was talking to an Eir employee last week and he said that NBI wont be providing VoIP initially so your telephone line will have to stay for your phone number. He did say he thinks it will all be consolidated by a single provider under single bill though.

You mean Eir will not be providing a VoIP package. VoIP is nothing to do with NBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

That's because Eir employee's think, OpenEir is the only one that could provide you with a phone service.

They don't even have the mindset, that there are other options out there.

And yes, NBI does not offer a wholesale phone service, but NBI doesn't sell directly to end customers.

It's up to the provider you order from to offer you those services. And the majority will go out of their way not to use OpenEIR for any of it. I can assure you on that one.

Having said that, why would you even consider anything an Eir employee says ? I mean, their track record on keeping it factual is ..... very bad.

/M

user1842 wrote: »
    You mean Eir will not be providing a VoIP package. VoIP is nothing to do with NBI.

No I mean that your telephone number will not be carried on the NBI infrastructure and needs to remain on the current copper lines

• Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

My house is not in the intervention area, after months of emails to NBI they said that my house will now be included, so i checked the NBI site with my Eircode today and its still not included. I emailed NBI and the reply i got was the maps will be updated by the end of this month and my house should be in amber.

Marlow wrote: »
    That's because Eir employee's think, OpenEir is the only one that could provide you with a phone service.

They don't even have the mindset, that there are other options out there.

And yes, NBI does not offer a wholesale phone service, but NBI doesn't sell directly to end customers.

It's up to the provider you order from to offer you those services. And the majority will go out of their way not to use OpenEIR for any of it. I can assure you on that one.

Having said that, why would you even consider anything an Eir employee says ? I mean, their track record on keeping it factual is ..... very bad.

/M
    But i imagine they do own the management of telephone numbers so in that respect they probably are the only ones who can provide you with a home phone service.
    Dont shoot the messenger im only relaying a conversation with an Eir employee on the side of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

But i imagine they do own the management of telephone numbers so in that respect they probably are the only ones who can provide you with a home phone service.
    Dont shoot the messenger im only relaying a conversation with an Eir employee on the side of the road

No. They don't.

Comreg manages the phone numbers.

Each phone provider/operator gets their own allocations from Comreg. The same as Eir also has to apply for their allocations from Comreg.

As an operator for phone services you literally don't have to deal with them apart from, when you want to send calls to a customer of theirs.

/M

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You were at best misled by someone who doesn't know what he's talking about, and at worst lied to.

You have an absolute right to port your phone number from eircom copper lines to a VoIP service provided by any authorised operator on any fixed broadband connection. If you can port a landline number to an Imagine FWA connection, it's bizarre to suggest that you can't port it to an NBI fibre connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

My house is not in the intervention area, after months of emails to NBI they said that my house will now be included, so i checked the NBI site with my Eircode today and its still not included. I emailed NBI and the reply i got was the maps will be updated by the end of this month and my house should be in amber.

When you say the end of the month is that March ?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Apologies if this has been asked before as it seems a simple enough question.

Our house has been listed as being in the intervention area for the last few months, the NBI website states Nov 20-Feb 21.

The cables were put up in Jan and a few weeks ago there are circular black boxes attached to every 5th pole or so, the trees were also cut back so all seems to be completed.

My question is does anyone know the process once the cables are up on the poles on the road, then how/who/when do they replace the copper line into our house & then will our current/all providers contact us to say fibre is now available?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭trant

I'm being told the review of our premises will happen towards the end of March. My feeling is that the map is reviewed/updated on a quarterly basis and both of us might be in luck come early April.

My question is does anyone know the process once the cables are up on the poles on the road, then how/who/when do they replace the copper line into our house & then will our current/all providers contact us to say fibre is now available?

I believe a period of time before the areas goes live all retail providers are informed of the go live date. At this point retailers can take orders from the public.

FTTH is different product to the copper line so you will have place a separate order for it or transfer your existing service.

If you're registered for updates with NBI they will let you know when the area is live otherwise you will have to contact your current retail provider or another provider to install or transfer to FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

The Cush wrote: »
    I believe a period of time before the areas goes live all retail providers are informed of the go live date. At this point retailers can take orders from the public.

FTTH is different product to the copper line so you will have place a separate order for it or transfer your existing service.

If you're registered for updates with NBI they will let you know when the area is live otherwise you will have to contact your current retail provider or another provider to install or transfer to FTTH.

Thanks for the response.

I have registered for update with NBI so hopefully will get something in the coming weeks/months.

Any chance you know whom I contact to place an order for Fibre to the home to replace the copper line?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

Falconire End of march NBI said

NBAiii wrote: »
    The map in the pdf is ridiculous. They have no labels on the PoHs (regional exchanges) yet they have bizarrely labeled some of the minor exchanges which leads to confusion.

The Cush created a pdf with all the Deployment Areas and PoHs listed.

Another map from NBI is clearer. The PoHs are the green dots in it.

545419.png

The route lines on that map, is that showing the local exchange route connected to the regional?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Redriddick

joe123 wrote: »
    The route lines on that map, is that showing the local exchange route connected to the regional?

Yes, they are the 100 Gbps fibre-rings or metro-rings (Metro Network). The loop means there is built-in redundancy if any part of the loop goes down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Pique

Redriddick wrote: »

I thought that was a mistake till I looked at premises in Roscommon Town. Even worse than I thought. Well done Eir :rolleyes:
    example

Advertisement