Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Xithus wrote: »
    I don’t know tbh. Vodafone tell me my maximum stable speed as they put it is 28mb. They even gave me a screenshot from whatever system they use. I sent this on to the DCCAE email address and NBI. I emailed them around 6 times over the space of 9 months, NBI just kept telling me it’s not their place to add me and when the DCCAE finally replied they replied and said:

“The VDSL profile for this premises is Maximum_High_Speed 30Mbps and Maximum_High_stability 28Mbps. Under the rules for determining if a premises is HSBB or not the department goes off the Maximum_High_Speed figure”

Really I just wanted to be added to the rollout. If it took 5 years so be it, rather that then to be stuck in limbo.

Also like some other people I’ve read here on the thread other houses in my estate have been added. I’m literally facing one of them, it’s ridiculous.

Have you checked houses in your estate what speeds they can get currently on vdsl? They might not be hitting the 28/30Mb speeds you can, hence the inclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Adriatic wrote: »
    If Eir are a service provider on the NBI fibre, how does this work with their own existing Network? I thought they are separate altogether.

Also Mayo Fibre says 1GB/s download and upload, surely that is not right?

Discussed here previously, typo by the looks of it. The upload speeds in the NBI documentation is 50/100 Mbps respectively.

As regards eir as a retail service provider on the NBI network. Eircom, the company is split into 2 divisions, eir - the retail service provider and open-eir - the wholesale service provider. Open-eir builds, operates and maintains the infrastructure while eir the retail service provider operates like every other retail service provider by paying a wholesale access charge to open-eir to access the open-eir network. (ComReg Decision Notices including D08/10 'Accounting Separation and Cost Accounting Review of eircom Limited’, dated 31 August 2010)

Likewise, eir - the retail service provider, will pay a wholesale access charge to NBI to access the NBI network. Looking at their website no eir/NBI package pricing added yet, only linking to their existing 150/1000 packages - https://www.eir.ie/nbi/

clohamon wrote: »
    There's another page on the Mayo Fibre site with more believable info.
    https://atlantek.net/broadband-services/
    I see they indicate a Re-appointment Installation fee of €170+vat in their NBI 500/1000 Mbps pricing even though the NBI charge is €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

They put up a new pole outside my house next to the original pole which is odd because they were working on the original pole last week and it looks in good nick
    E9mA4py.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭wassie

Im no expert, but doesn't one of those poles look like its on the pi$$. (May also be the angle of the photo)

danny004 wrote: »
    I suppose if you included the quote i had in my original post it would make more sense. The original post was that EIR Fiber 500 was 29.99 pm and my question was do we actually have evidence from anyone that this is indeed Eir offering for NBI 500MB because NBI is live in my area and I can neither order from Eir nor VF (both say NBI is still in testing phase) but can from Sky.

I see the confusion - The point of my post remains that Eir will most likely let you break your current plan, provided you re-contract for 12 months on what ever their NBI offering is. They should be offering min. speeds of 500Mb up to 1Gbps in line with what NBI have published.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

This might seem like an odd query/request, but it looks like I can finally apply for FTTH however the people I live with have a business connection FTTC that we all use for internet but they dont seem to be in any mad rush to get FTTH.

Can I go ahead and order FTTH or do I have to get them to cancel/upgrade their connection? I assuming FTTH has nothing to do with having the landline??

Mc Love wrote: »
    Can I go ahead and order FTTH or do I have to get them to cancel/upgrade their connection? I assuming FTTH has nothing to do with having the landline??

Separate, copper vs fibre. Different services.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭listermint

xxyyzz wrote: »
    They put up a new pole outside my house next to the original pole which is odd because they were working on the original pole last week and it looks in good nick

It looks like you superimposed the road side pole :D:p

xxyyzz wrote: »

One the reasons poles were replaced around my area was that the poles weren't deep enough in the ground, there is a notch on the pole and this has to be a certain distance above ground. The pole in the pic appears to be taller than the new one.

The Cush wrote: »
    One the reasons poles were replaced around my area was that the poles weren't deep enough in the ground, there is a notch on the pole and this has to be a certain distance above ground. The of pole in the pic appears to be taller than the new one.

Yep, over time wind on the cable can uproot poles. There's a notch at 3m that's supposed to be measured as one of the standard pole safety tests a technician uses.

• Advertisement

Yep, over time wind on the cable can uproot poles. There's a notch at 3m that's supposed to be measured as one of the standard pole safety tests a technician uses.

I met the technician out mapping the poles in the area on the day, wasted an hour or more of his time. I had forgotten the dimension.

The Cush wrote: »
    I met the technician out mapping the poles in the area on the day, wasted an hour or more of his time. I had forgotten the dimension.

Yeah It's 10 foot, with 4 in the ground it's easy to visualise a safe pole as the notch should be at 6 foot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Xithus wrote:
    “The VDSL profile for this premises is Maximum_High_Speed 30Mbps and Maximum_High_stability 28Mbps. Under the rules for determining if a premises is HSBB or not the department goes off the Maximum_High_Speed figureâ€

you need to ring vodaphone and tell them that your broadband keeps disconnecting and can you have your profile changed to 28 mb

this will then mean when they look up your premises it will be 28 and not 30 mb

at the moment your profile is down as 30 but you can only sync to 29mb

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

fergus1001 wrote: »
    you need to ring vodaphone and tell them that your broadband keeps disconnecting and can you have your profile changed to 28 mb

this will then mean when they look up your premises it will be 28 and not 30 mb

at the moment your profile is down as 30 but you can only sync to 29mb

I doubt that will help. Each line is classified by what it's theoretically capable of (fast/stable), not by what its current sync rate is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

Thomas Pringle TD argues for prioritising Donegal and gets support of a kind from Minister Ryan.
    https://www.highlandradio.com/2021/03/12/government-under-fire-again-for-slow-rollout-of-nbp-in-donegal/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Councillor Peter Flynn wants West Mayo fast-tracked. Notes that Newport, Liscarney* and Killadoon are scheduled for 2023 following meeting with rep from NBI.
    Joe Lavin, the Chief Commercial Officer at National Broadband Ireland, addressed this week’s monthly meeting of Mayo County Council. He outlined the timeline of about 18 months for the National Broadband Plan to be delivered in the Ballina and Castlebar areas, but admitted that areas further out in the county will have a longer wait for the service.

https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/45958-2023-before-national-broadband-programme-is-set-to-be-rolled-out-to-west-mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Thomas Pringle TD argues for prioritising Donegal and gets support of a kind from Minister Ryan.
    https://www.highlandradio.com/2021/03/12/government-under-fire-again-for-slow-rollout-of-nbp-in-donegal/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Councillor Peter Flynn wants West Mayo fast-tracked. Notes that Newport, Liscarney* and Killadoon are scheduled for 2023 following meeting with rep from NBI.

https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/45958-2023-before-national-broadband-programme-is-set-to-be-rolled-out-to-west-mayo

This is why putting timelines on the site are a double edged sword. Someone in the Dept probably has to put time into responding to this and potentially NBI management are fielding pointless questions about re-jigging priorities based on political interference (as opposed to re-prioritising based on surveying and network design identifying more efficient ways of serving the most subscribers as early as possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I'm just outside Newport and honestly I'll be happy to get reliable broadband by 2023. I know some people would love it asap and I wouldn't refuse 500mb fibre right now. But if 2023 is the date for a well designed reliable connection right to our door then let's give them the time to do it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

This whole process has been and continues to be a fiasco. Thankfully I am in a position now where I can do the things I need to online by just using mobile broadband. The Government, NBI and Eir should all be ashamed the way they have handled this.

This whole process has been and continues to be a fiasco. Thankfully I am in a position now where I can do the things I need to online by just using mobile broadband. The Government, NBI and Eir should all be ashamed the way they have handled this.

Great. Anything in particular that makes you say this continues to be a fiasco.

Details please,if you will

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

A breakdown by county of the 2021 build plan. Cork doing very well, Leitrim not so much.

546808.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I really wish politicians would work together in finding ways to accelerate the build rather than this arguing that my area deserves to be built before everyone else stuff.

Everyone wants it and sure we could all make a case for being put "top of the pile".

Also that Donegal post has a glaring error, they mentioned 4,042 of 178,000 premises have been surveyed. There are a total of 32,373 in the IA not 178k.
    NBAiii wrote: »
    A breakdown by county of the 2021 build plan. Cork doing very well, Leitrim not so much.

Grim enough for a lot of counties there.

I quickly threw the below together provided my table is correct.

This is what it looks like when you put premises in the IA per county vs the build by end of 2021. So a bit more context as some counties have far less premises in the IA. Leitrim still comes out bottom of the pile though.

546819.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

listermint wrote: »
    Great. Anything in particular that makes you say this continues to be a fiasco.

Details please,if you will

It's probably one or more of the following:
    • Eir should've been given the job
    • Starlink is better/cheaper
    • 5G is better/cheaper
    • Culchies don't deserve investment
    • Move to a town if you want FTTH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Pique wrote: »
    It's probably one or more of the following:
    • Eir should've been given the job
    • Starlink is better/cheaper
    • 5G is better/cheaper
    • Culchies don't deserve investment
    • Move to a town if you want FTTH

Wrong on all counts. I am a culchie, living in culchieland where I get quite good 4G.I have seen two NBI vans on a road near me once in the past year, that was in Summer 2020 and nothing since. Eir have cherry picked and taken the main road in the area and left all the rest, apart from one where they came as far as the second house and then just left. That was in 2019. Fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Wrong on all counts. I am a culchie, living in culchieland where I get quite good 4G.I have seen two NBI vans on a road near me once in the past year, that was in Summer 2020 and nothing since. Eir have cherry picked and taken the main road in the area and left all the rest, apart from one where they came as far as the second house and then just left. That was in 2019. Fiasco.

So basically, 4g broadband is good enough, NBI are a disgrace because they drove up your road 12 months ago and have not done anything for you since, and eir didn't give you a service, so nbi providing you with one is a disgrace.

Good luck with your 4g, glad you are happy with it.

Interesting view point. I can't quite make heads nor tails of it though.

I have relativity decent LTE , Eir won't reconnect my house for internet as the last owner quite rightly kept giving out to them and was in a dispute with them over the 1.5mb spotty connection he was getting and paying handsomely for.

NBI haven't graced my road yet with a drive by but I lay in anticipation of one. Going of the plan I think we may be 2024 or there abouts for a connection.

I can't wait to get rid of my LTE because of late I'm getting blasted with limit warnings due to my outrageous gawl of having two kids at home during a lockdown and two people working from home too. Apparently these things are simply not something that should be catered for with an internet connection....

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

listermint wrote: »
    Interesting view point. I can't quite make heads nor tails of it though.

I have relativity decent LTE , Eir won't reconnect my house for internet as the last owner quite rightly kept giving out to them and was in a dispute with them over the 1.5mb spotty connection he was getting and paying handsomely for.

NBI haven't graced my road yet with a drive by but I lay in anticipation of one. Going of the plan I think we may be 2024 or there abouts for a connection.

I can't wait to get rid of my LTE because of late I'm getting blasted with limit warnings due to my outrageous gawl of having two kids at home during a lockdown and two people working from home too. Apparently these things are simply not something that should be catered for with an internet connection....

I'm the same, seen a few NBI vans driving by but not working. I'd say im 2024+ too as its not included anywhere except saying I'm in the intervention area.

currently on 7down/.5 up with my "FTTC" where the cabinet is 1.8k away walking, god knows what route it takes. I get around 20-50 with LTE depending on time of day and weather

Going to switch to Imagine for the moment as they are doing a new build in my area in april.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

I’d love to know how many premises have been connected so far in the Carrigaline deployment area, it was supposed to be completed between Nov and Feb but has now been extended to June. According to the NBI site there are 4,615 premises in the deployment area and they’ve been working away the whole time but having a quick look at how many premises there are left to connect it feels like they’ve barely done half. Having a nose around the map it seems that there’s all of Passage and Monkstown to do, parts of Rochestown, Upper Raffeen, Crosshaven, Fountainstown, Myrtleville, Minane Bridge, Carrigaline itself and that’s just the places I had a look over, probably many more. We’re still waiting for the cable and DPs to be put up on our road, I feel like it will be extended again, I wonder what is going wrong for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I’d love to know how many premises have been connected so far in the Carrigaline deployment area, it was supposed to be completed between Nov and Feb but has now been extended to June. According to the NBI site there are 4,615 premises in the deployment area and they’ve been working away the whole time but having a quick look at how many premises there are left to connect it feels like they’ve barely done half. Having a nose around the map it seems that there’s all of Passage and Monkstown to do, parts of Rochestown, Upper Raffeen, Crosshaven, Fountainstown, Myrtleville, Minane Bridge, Carrigaline itself and that’s just the places I had a look over, probably many more. We’re still waiting for the cable and DPs to be put up on our road, I feel like it will be extended again, I wonder what is going wrong for them?
    DPs have been on my hill (Monastery hill in Rochestown) for almost a month now and still haven't been connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

DPs have been on my hill (Monastery hill in Rochestown) for almost a month now and still haven't been connected.

I saw them being put up and was feeling like they were finally making progress but I’m up in Rathanker and I’m not sure if you know Connells farm but they brought the cable and DPs as far as across the road from the entrance and I haven’t seen much action since apart from the the burst water pipe incident by the water tower! I saw a guy calling to houses in Laurel Hill, Monkstown the other day, I can’t remember if it was a KN or NBI van. Those houses say that high speed fibre broadband is available to order on the map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I saw them being put up and was feeling like they were finally making progress but I’m up in Rathanker and I’m not sure if you know Connells farm but they brought the cable and DPs as far as across the road from the entrance and I haven’t seen much action since apart from the the burst water pipe incident by the water tower! I saw a guy calling to houses in Laurel Hill, Monkstown the other day, I can’t remember if it was a KN or NBI van. Those houses say that high speed fibre broadband is available to order on the map.
    They haven't even filled the hole across the road from the Rochestown College in yet, yano where they park the buses. It's been gaping with NBI signs for weeks now. Not sure if they ran into issues or what.

Advertisement