Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

A few weeks ago I posted on this thread that I met a guy working for Eir on the road and he told me that phone numbers would not initially be part of NBI customers and that your phone number would be maintained on the copper network. Some People replying here of course knew best that the Eir employee like all of Eir was incompetent and that managing phone numbers had nothing to do with Eir etc. Well today I can finally order BB from VF via NBI and in the FAQs the below is posted.

Can I add Home Phone or TV to my Fiber Broadband order?
    We are delighted to be a Retail Broadband Provider of NBI, bringing Vodafone Fiber Broadband to more people than ever before. We currently offer broadband-only packages, with Vodafone TV and Home Phone options coming soon.

So I guess the Eir guy was bang on in that VoIP will not be initially available as part of NBI infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

danny004 wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I posted on this thread that I met a guy working for Eir on the road and he told me that phone numbers would not initially be part of NBI customers and that your phone number would be maintained on the copper network. Some People replying here of course knew best that the Eir employee like all of Eir was incompetent and that managing phone numbers had nothing to do with Eir etc. Well today I can finally order BB from VF via NBI and in the FAQs the below is posted.

We are delighted to be a Retail Broadband Provider of NBI, bringing Vodafone Fiber Broadband to more people than ever before. We currently offer broadband-only packages, with Vodafone TV and Home Phone options coming soon.

So I guess the Eir guy was bang on in that VoIP will not be initially available as part of NBI infrastructure
    I've an order in with Digiweb with VOIP.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm sorry, but the Eir guy is still either wrong or lying. The fact that one retail provider will, for reasons that are frankly hard to understand, not be offering VoIP from day one doesn't make him right.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

They haven't even filled the hole across the road from the Rochestown College in yet, yano where they park the buses. It's been gaping with NBI signs for weeks now. Not sure if they ran into issues or what.

I saw the mess left behind and was wondering if they were leaving it like that! Did you contact Digiweb yourself or did they get in contact with you? We’ve just been moved back up to March-June since last week or the week before and haven’t heard anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

I’d love to know how many premises have been connected so far in the Carrigaline deployment area, it was supposed to be completed between Nov and Feb but has now been extended to June. According to the NBI site there are 4,615 premises in the deployment area and they’ve been working away the whole time but having a quick look at how many premises there are left to connect it feels like they’ve barely done half. Having a nose around the map it seems that there’s all of Passage and Monkstown to do, parts of Rochestown, Upper Raffeen, Crosshaven, Fountainstown, Myrtleville, Minane Bridge, Carrigaline itself and that’s just the places I had a look over, probably many more. We’re still waiting for the cable and DPs to be put up on our road, I feel like it will be extended again, I wonder what is going wrong for them?

According to Eamon Ryan in the Dáil recently:
    There are over 4,500 premises in the Carrigaline deployment area and some 300 premises are currently eligible for connection with NBI advising that a further 373 premises will be eligible for connection by 1 March 2021.

They seem to be way behind whether because of Covid or other reasons.

I know you were asking about which deployment area you are in. The shaded area in the following image is the boundary of the Carrigaline DA. The non-shaded parts are not part of Carrigaline or Midleton. I think it is afe to assume that there is an OLT in Mahon that will be used for these areas.

547004.PNG

• Advertisement

I saw the mess left behind and was wondering if they were leaving it like that! Did you contact Digiweb yourself or did they get in contact with you? We’ve just been moved back up to March-June since last week or the week before and haven’t heard anything yet.

They rang us

NBAiii wrote: »

I know you were asking about which deployment area you are in. The shaded area in the following image is the boundary of the Carrigaline DA. The non-shaded parts are not part of Carrigaline or Midleton. I think it is afe to assume that there is an OLT in Mahon that will be used for these areas.

That’s exactly the info I was looking for, thanks! Yes, I’m in one of the non shaded parts and in the past week or two we’ve been brought forward again in alignment with the Carrigaline rollout for completion between now and June along with houses in the Mahon/Blackrock/Douglas area so it looks like they are working on the Cork-Mahon OLT but there is very little info about it available. Can’t see anything about it on the rollout plan and I wouldn’t be surprised if the dates were changed for a fifth time.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but the Eir guy is still either wrong or lying. The fact that one retail provider will, for reasons that are frankly hard to understand, not be offering VoIP from day one doesn't make him right.

But its two Eir and VF and by % its probably greater than 60% of most likely signups .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

fergus1001 wrote: »
    starting a new thread to monitor the progress of the national broadband plan in the context of implementation and the actual build out progress

The contract has been signed so that aspect of this is finished the time for argueing for and against the NBP is gone

National Broadband ireland website

https://nbi.ie/

Thanks. But as someone mentioned there I think they know what the line is capable of. Vodafone will actually only give me the 28mb anyway, so that’s what I’m on. To be fair the other houses in my estate that are on the list probably have it worse than me, but it doesn’t make it any less annoying to be left behind. Especially when my estate is in the centre of a a town. Not some one off house at the top of a cliff.

But its two Eir and VF and by % its probably greater than 60% of most likely signups .

It's still not true. If even one NBI customer gets VoIP from even one RSP, then what you were told by the eir guy is untrue.

• Advertisement

It's still not true. If even one NBI customer gets VoIP from even one RSP, then what you were told by the eir guy is untrue.

OK anyway for the rest of us on planet earth be aware that it seems both Eir and VF wont initially be providing VoIP on NBI Infrastructure

OK anyway for the rest of us on planet earth be aware that it seems both Eir and VF wont initially be providing VoIP on NBI Infrastructure

That's nice. Competent ISPs will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

Kathleen Funchion TD thinks ‘a streamlined approach’ would help the roll-out, and states that interim solutions suggested by the Comms Committee for ‘rural areas that are in the immediate need’ have not been discussed yet.

https://kilkennyobserver.ie/rural-broadband-in-kilkenny/
    The Government has committed to accelerating the NBP to be delivered in four-five years.
    There have already been delays to the rollout of the NBP with Covid and NBI have been working to mitigate these where possible, they [sic] can’t be any further delays.
    Sinn Fein believe that these difficulties could be easily solved with streamlined approach by Government.
    We are very aware that problems occur during operations. One of the difficulties is the fact that fresh planning has to be continually lodged. If that planning is with Transport Infrastructure Ireland, it could take four to eight weeks. If it is with the local authority, it could be anywhere from two days to eight weeks. That is not good enough and it is holding the whole roll out up.
    There has been talk in the Transport and Communications Committee in terms of interim solutions for the households in rural areas who won’t be connected until the four-five-year mark. These discussion are still to take place and Sinn Fein are pushing for the Committee use its influence to bring about interim measures for rural areas that are in the immediate need of broadband coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

clohamon wrote:
    Kathleen Funchion TD thinks ‘a streamlined approach’ would help the roll-out, and states that interim solutions suggested by the Comms Committee for ‘rural areas that are in the immediate need’ have not been discussed yet.

they will have spent the year talking about it by the time they agree anything so I would say it would be pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

fergus1001 wrote: »
    they will have spent the year talking about it by the time they agree anything so I would say it would be pointless

Most of that just appears to be grandstanding from TD's at this stage. If acceleration of the plan was going to be a thing, I think we'd have heard more of the actual "how and when" at this stage.

Everything that's come from NBI so far has suggested they are following the original plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

NBI want it finished as quickly as possible. Whatever they may say about being long term investors, it's the nature of this sort of capital investment that it is sold on once complete.

Nobody in politics is against spending more to achieve that.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Opps we mustn't have got that memo! We have NBI customers installed and happily using VOIP!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

Digiweb wrote: »
    Opps we mustn't have got that memo! We have NBI customers installed and happily using VOIP!

Have you any speed tests from customers signed up to NBI? would love to see the avg speeds. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

“Internet in Thailand is outstanding. I get 100 Mbps over Wi-Fi (fiber optic), 20 Mbps with 4G – tethered. 5G is widely available, but I don’t have a phone yet that can handle it. Even remote parts of Thailand, such as my mother-in-law’s farm in the very rural south, get good-to-excellent coverage, and have for years,” he points out."

From Woody, the originator of 'ask woody' a well known newsletter about Windows and MS, now retired and living in Thailand.

Just to keep up your spirits, while you wait.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Fibre conduit being installed just outside Tipp Town today. Surprised to see it down this far ahead of availability (August - October this year)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Roscommon Herald showing what seems to be an NBI map of Castlerea DA broken down into Municipal Districts. (local councillors will be pleased)

https://roscommonherald.ie/2021/03/15/broadband-survey-works-commencing-in-areas-of-west-and-north-roscommon-this-week/
    Hi-res map here from Roscommon CoCo
    http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/en/Services/Roads/Broadband-in-County-Roscommon/Castlerea-DA-Map.pdf (1.8 MB)

Survey due imminently according to report. Connection due sometime in 2023 according to NBI website.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

My house hasn't been updated to be in the intervention area yet but due to happen sometime this month, a neighbours address says this so at least it's progress

https://gyazo.com/5383084a8bd799ea7ae9a1c4679e5c64

NBAiii wrote: »
    A breakdown by county of the 2021 build plan. Cork doing very well, Leitrim not so much.

Looks like the IFA got in touch.
    Speaking after a meeting with the CEO of National Broadband Ireland (NBI), Irish Farmers' Association (IFA) National Treasurer Martin Stapleton has called on the Government to accelerate the rollout programme to rural areas such as Leitrim.
    https://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/home/617176/accelerated-rollout-of-national-broadband-plan-needed-to-equip-leitrim-s-farm-families.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

qZIQdJViIH4GkloZH-GEceQ0rp5sV4Y5Xsz6UiwEmvjbAzWVq9KoCrE9UmAqQHmobDxQDInfEEZR2au5_-rPL0jipveQN9YlMOgoEseAiSWq1OCUosnMb5Bo7fM-XZNPsWdee6F3m7Ghe2VmU8GrdC-9ONsOgjDUa7XwVHblDSmtsXscWPGidWBeCGmp5g7S0-ZjVJGTyhdCGPyxLIJh0xB5DVUxQReVcF8uc5R8spvyAbcMBMqyWJJrQrXo2nRRyFLMluOUgFyMp0R5g052Hv_d8leUYpnThFTSirwJd5Pmkdh8pnntZwAV4Zy6JssB9kJITyERjGOGOkw3mbVsqPlIGEfmio8yDgevK72Cxms0_5uhNYZrPH6B89WFnbgfBb-y1oeujZULkHb76ickjn56Q09fNKbQdoKKoedBFow0am1yMLtRLhLYP6AIXJ2JgFLDkUvP8_TISNcIc0AxeaDuSA90-xT1bWuMu38cbUtA24mALMGQhgbuiNz8e86p8YAYCpjlH8kazckgHu5C-pHKOdSqonU5iNEtIiBTcdxcjjmM0kXQ7xl5kkYoLkdUQo-beVgTglXkvtOSDs1GUrnPERMN2DDWvBlKoipO9cQNr4Ms6QcVWiY3cFY-JDRlvhQ9_2tM_6IEijuoX2lFkIBt1szmRXtHkD54SQ2AP4Lzh0iuBCqlJriAVOt5fJlUoErzu2So4NnTD9lGstg=w810-h1080-no?authuser=0

Near Monard in Tipperary...running cable underground below ESB. Is the yellow reel fibre or just conduit?

They added black conduit to the poles on either side of the ESB crossover earlier in the week, so I would have assumed that was running underground.
    ACtC-3cj61hLqNqiZ6SXrEIkotr6VpbvtYyojvC5ytdwtFiWLDtyDqlGIEmaHYsIMjWmF6fgnB7aKedMMAVtn8w-mxt4MgD25Pqk1UnE2eC7GA8mjTumHQJtUqhnobCh_11IqOL5LaDDb1Y6x7o1uxKRYvXT=w810-h1080-no?authuser=0

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

Near Monard in Tipperary...running cable underground below ESB. Is the yellow reel fibre or just conduit?

They added black conduit to the poles on either side of the ESB crossover earlier in the week, so I would have assumed that was running underground.

The yellow reel is most likely the fibreglass "Cobra" rods that they use to push through existing duct as in this case under the ESB line. They would then pull the new fibre duct through with the Cobra.

cobra-range.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Stringing fibre and installing DP mounts in Kilclooney, Ballinasloe

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3344292,-8.2627908,3a,75y,271.7h,93.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk3E3GtvwdED6llurdzrfqQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

They seem to be very random. Doing less than 1Km in different areas then disappearing. Obviously working to a plan but looks very random.

I've heard that the Carrigaline rollout, originally Dec 2020 to Feb 2021 is now likely to be sometime around June. Significant delays here.

I've heard that the Carrigaline rollout, originally Dec 2020 to Feb 2021 is now likely to be sometime around June. Significant delays here.

I’ve seen them working across from Rochestown college for the past few days but very little progress being made compared to a few weeks ago when they seemed to be flying. I seem to part of the Cork-Mahon rollout but it has the same dates as Carrigaline, March-June and still no DPs or cable put up in our stretch of the road.

• Advertisement

Self-styled "Architect of the National Broadband Plan", Denis Naughten, has been on GalwayBay FM with survey news for the part the Castlerea DA that overlaps East Galway.

Ballymoe, Glinsk, Knockogonnell, Killsallagh, Derryvode and Flaskagh Beg

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/surveys-underway-in-rural-east-galway-for-rollout-of-national-broadband-plan/

Advertisement