Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Sure, all they need is a length of cable and some electrical tape!!

do you know, i was severely tempted. Especially when they left big lumps of the wire lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ArrBee

fergus1001 wrote: »
    you would then be outside the intervention area full stop

But are they proactively changing the IA?

I thought that any changes to the IA were reactive based on individuals trying to be included.

Do we know if the department is removing addresses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

MFenix wrote: »
    Potentially crazy question but I’ve seen some really knowledgeable replies here, so here goes...

I have a small home office joined onto my house, with a separate front door. The whole building (office and residential part) has the same eircode.

I just got the email today to say that FTTH is on its way to the building in April 2022 and surveys are underway in my area.

But I am seriously considering paying Virgin for a costly office connection in the meantime (they will run cable and charge me) - I am at the point where I need this for my business.

My main concern is that doing so would then bring my house into the area “covered by existing service providers” and outside the NBI intervention area. I would still need the NBI to connect me for home internet purposes!

Am I right to worry about this, or is it the case that I am in the intervention area and that’s that...?

Thanks for any help

If you get Virgin to connect the office, why not just run a cable to the main house too?

Why would you expect NBI to connect your house when it would have a Virgin FTTH connection ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

How'rya neighbour.

The funny part is that the fibre is already run to 300m to the left and 200m to the right of my house. They left out a 500m stretch with about 30 houses in it.

Talk about joined up thinking, not.

I live in an estate with half the houses connected to FTTC then they were upgraded to SIRO and the older houses left with 7mb, survey pending :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stephen.dunne

How'rya neighbour.

The funny part is that the fibre is already run to 300m to the left and 200m to the right of my house. They left out a 500m stretch with about 30 houses in it.

Talk about joined up thinking, not.
    It was joined up thinking; just for Eir's benefit, not yours :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

Potentially crazy question but I’ve seen some really knowledgeable replies here, so here goes...

I have a small home office joined onto my house, with a separate front door. The whole building (office and residential part) has the same eircode.

I just got the email today to say that FTTH is on its way to the building in April 2022 and surveys are underway in my area.

But I am seriously considering paying Virgin for a costly office connection in the meantime (they will run cable and charge me) - I am at the point where I need this for my business.

My main concern is that doing so would then bring my house into the area “covered by existing service providers” and outside the NBI intervention area. I would still need the NBI to connect me for home internet purposes!

Am I right to worry about this, or is it the case that I am in the intervention area and that’s that...?

Thanks for any help

It is an interesting question. My own take on it would be that you could likely get the bespoke Virgin connection and still have NBI connect your home.

For that not to happen someone would have to inform NBI or DECC about the Virgin connection and they then may remove your home from the build. I think Virgin are unlikely to bother infroming either and even if they did it is unclear whether premises that are subsequently passed with high speed broadband would even be removed from the plan.

The various ISPs had a consultation period where they could have premises removed. That has long sinced finished and I believe the plan is now set in stone, at least in regard to one-off premises such as yours.

Virgin is not FTTH, it would be foolish to scupper your chances of FTTH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

NBAiii wrote: »
    It is an interesting question. My own take on it would be that you could likely get the bespoke Virgin connection and still have NBI connect your home.

For that not to happen someone would have to inform NBI or DECC about the Virgin connection and they then may remove your home from the build. I think Virgin are unlikely to bother infroming either and even if they did it is unclear whether premises that are subsequently passed with high speed broadband would even be removed from the plan.

The various ISPs had a consultation period where they could have premises removed. That has long sinced finished and I believe the plan is now set in stone, at least in regard to one-off premises such as yours.

A local estate near me, all houses were in the IA. Over the last 8 months Eir rolled out FTTH to each house. They are still showing as being part of the IA.

The whole area is still under premises pending survey but I suspect once they see Fibre installed it may change. Could be the same if they see Virgin/Cable connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

joe123 wrote: »
    Yep likewise. Premises pending Survey still too.

Dont like to hear of delays but when people are upset because they have been pushed back a few months, think of what its like for those of us who haven't even been surveyed.

I live in an estate of over 100 houses in a town and we are stuck with copper. Likely 2025 if not later. They really should have every area with an expected Survey date by now never mind a bloody connection.

One step ahead of ye. Mine says survey planned. I actually spoke with the guys carrying out the survey outside my house in.... November last year.. updates are a joke to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Virgin is not FTTH, it would be foolish to scupper your chances of FTTH

Depends. The new builds are actually fibre to the house then it gets changed to coax in the house. Mine is a fantastic product. Never misses a beat from 500Mbit. Pings to Irish servers 3-6ms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

A local estate near me, all houses were in the IA. Over the last 8 months Eir rolled out FTTH to each house. They are still showing as being part of the IA.

The whole area is still under premises pending survey but I suspect once they see Fibre installed it may change. Could be the same if they see Virgin/Cable connected?

It could, but for a one-off case like this I think it's unlikely.

Even in your estate example it is unclear what will happen. NBI have been contracted to build out to a certain number of premises. If premises start being removed on a large scale it is going to affect their bottom line. Apparently there is some provision in the contract for such encroachment but it is unlear what that is or how many premises it would entail.

Whether they would continue to build or skip areas where there is large scale encroachment is, again, unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MFenix

Thanks all. You understand my predicament!

The business broadband must be kept entirely separate to residential, so that is unfortunately not an option. And yes the last few hundred meters of the Virgin connection would be coaxial, as I understand it.

I’m still deciding what to do but I hope NBI would listen when it comes to install time (perhaps wishful thinking...) If they have any concerns at all, that is.

tbh I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place since the business connection is becoming more and more critical. But, like the rest of us, FTTH is the dream.

I’ll keep an eye on here in case anyone has any more detail, but thanks again for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Honestly If I had an estimated survey date atleast I could consider going with starlink

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Slieveardagh Hills

Coming at it from a different direction, why not get a new eircode for office/business? Then get Virgin connection on that eircode and technically leave residential eircode as is. You can still argue the current residential eircode hasn't got a fast connection then.

I've seen the one property have separate residential and business eircodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Got estimated dates for connection: March 2022 - May 2022
    Still a ways off but delighted at just getting that info!!!!

Scruff wrote: »
    Got estimated dates for connection: March 2022 - May 2022
    Still a ways off but delighted at just getting that info!!!!

What area are you in? Did the website previously say surveying under way or was it just updated?

I noticed areas in Cavan now actually have a go live date marked on the map as April 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Curious to know, for those of you with no survey date as of yet, how many of you would consider looking at Starlink as a stop-gap solution? Are people put off by pricing and/or the fact it's long-term reliability is as-yet unknown?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Curious to know, for those of you with no survey date as of yet, how many of you would consider looking at Starlink as a stop-gap solution? Are people put off by pricing and/or the fact it's long-term reliability is as-yet unknown?
    It's an option in areas that don't even have mobile coverage. I think the price as a starting price for a new service is encouraging, but too high for now.

Considering it for sure. Without a survey at this stage, NBI is likely to be 2024/25 at the earliest.

For now, I cant justify the 99 euro per month charge while it hasnt even been tested in Ireland yet, not too mention what happens when more users come online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

What area are you in? Did the website previously say surveying under way or was it just updated?

I noticed areas in Cavan now actually have a go live date marked on the map as April 1st.

I've been watching Cavan Eircodes too as I'm due to go live soon also (Cloverhill, Co.Cavan).

The go live dates at the 1st are new. In February there were Eircodes showing as go live as 1st March and then the last weekend of February they all updated to being available to order.

At the same time other Eircodes updated to go live as 1st April.

The go live date for my Eirocde is January 2021 - May 2021 so following the pattern of the last two months will (hopefully) update at the end March/start of April with a go live date of 1st May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

The initial outlay is alot for an unproven system in my mind.
    People are reporting good speeds now sure, but hook everyone up to it how good will it be.

I know in theory it should be great and on paper sounds good.
    But for almost €600 at the start is alot to stomach and €1200 a year after that, potential price increases over time its alot to weigh up against it.

However I have 4g potentially 5g from three which so far has being a decent stop gap for us.
    (Stop gap as in Netflix, WFH, Playstation (somtimes I need to hotspot onto phone for gaming sessions!))
    4g from Eir is also a potential both for €30 a month for 750GB usage.

im not considering it yet.
    Maybe if I had zero internet I would.
    As it is, I can manage on the 2-10Mb 4G connection that I have for a while longer.

Thanks all. You understand my predicament!

The business broadband must be kept entirely separate to residential, so that is unfortunately not an option. And yes the last few hundred meters of the Virgin connection would be coaxial, as I understand it.

I’m still deciding what to do but I hope NBI would listen when it comes to install time (perhaps wishful thinking...) If they have any concerns at all, that is.

tbh I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place since the business connection is becoming more and more critical. But, like the rest of us, FTTH is the dream.

I’ll keep an eye on here in case anyone has any more detail, but thanks again for the replies.

If you are saying that the connection MUST be kept separate (not sure why exactly) then you would need 2 FTTH connections if fibre was available, yeah?

Which would make the suggestion from shanemeagher as really the only suitable approach anyway.
    I would imagine if you have a separate business eircode, and your house is currently in the IA, then it would be unlikely that the home eircode would be removed from the IA.

But, I wouldn't really know. just guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

More poles replaced down my boreen yesterday. some others were replaced in mid-Feb.
    Spotted KN van passing earlier today too.

Ballymurray Roscommon. I'm in the Aug-Oct 2021 timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No survey date for me. Starlink perhaps maybe if I didn't have some LTE options locally however for 600 euro for the first month it's a no from me. I could get 30 months on my backup line (three) for that money.

So for now il stick with imagine primary and three as my secondary router. I'm fortunate to have a location that serves that with topography that suits. It's not full proof all the time but much better than some of the old copper lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

listermint wrote: »
    No survey date for me. Starlink perhaps maybe if I didn't have some LTE options locally however for 600 euro for the first month it's a no from me. I could get 30 months on my backup line (three) for that money.

So for now il stick with imagine primary and three as my secondary router. I'm fortunate to have a location that serves that with topography that suits. It's not full proof all the time but much better than some of the old copper lines.

I'm in a similar position, except that I have a date range of January - December 2023. I also have Imagine with 3 backup. It's not ideal, but it mostly works OK and is a lot better than some have.

I can't see any reason to forego that for an unproven LEO system.

Interesting to note that NBI appear to be actively updating the "premises surveyed" number on the homepage every few days.

I took down a note over a week ago or so when it was at 191513 surveyed. Since then it moved I think twice anyways. Currently stands at 196,606.

Helps give an indication of their progress I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

Dero wrote: »
    I'm in a similar position, except that I have a date range of January - December 2023. I also have Imagine with 3 backup. It's not ideal, but it mostly works OK and is a lot better than some have.

I can't see any reason to forego that for an unproven LEO system.

I have no date as of yet imagine called me today to offer half price install launching in April in my area, half afraid to go with them due to the fair use limits per day (and 20gb? Updates for triple a games are bigger than that)

How is your experience with them.

Not sure what to do, thinking of a 4g router with three simcard as I get high enough speeds most of the time better than the adsl

Advertisement