Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

cregmon wrote: »
    You almost had me jumping there! :D

"A resident of nearby Creggane, Co Roscommon"

:o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

More goings-on at Galway Council

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/question-over-rollout-of-broadband-to-tuam-and-north-galway-area/
    ‘What is the yardstick for priority in high quality broadband plans …and what puts Inverin in Connemara ahead of Tuam?’

That was a question from Councillor Colm Keaveney from Tuam at this week’s meeting of Galway County Council where Joe Lavan from the National Broadband Service was outlining plans for county Galway.

Councillor Keaveney said that people may leave and business will be hit for the want of proper broadband in Tuam.

His Fianna Fáil colleague, Councillor Donagh Killilea pointed out that Tuam is open for business and that there is a good quality broadband service in the town provided by Eir.

Councillor Keaveney and others such as Councillor Andrew Reddington said that the areas and villages surrounding Tuam were left out while other parts of the county got precedence.

Joe Lavan from the National Broadband service said that proximity to certain exchanges came into the picture and that no area was more important than another.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

Cloverhill, Co.Cavan

Quick update

We had a crew from ICL working at DPs last week - neighbour chatted to them and was told we should be going live in the coming weeks.

There was another crew out yesterday- they removed the DPs and seemed to be working at the cables - looks like they’ve labelled each cable too.

Go live date on NBI still at Jan-May 2021 but some Eircodes close by have an actual date of 1st April.

Hoping I’ll see an update again on 1st April :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

clohamon wrote: »
    His Fianna Fáil colleague, Councillor Donagh Killilea pointed out that Tuam is open for business and that there is a good quality broadband service in the town provided by Eir.

What an idiotic thing for him to say when they should be fighting for their area. Not sure if its ignorance or what.

joe123 wrote: »
    What an idiotic thing for him to say when they should be fighting for their area. Not sure if its ignorance or what.

I think the pair of them (Keaveney & Killilea) settled on calling for villages around Tuam to be prioritised, over Inverin presumably.

It looks like another version of Kieran O'Donnell's 'gap areas'.

NBI could do worse than having a DA lottery ever six months with Panti Bliss and some dour gent from KPMG. At least it would deal with the suspicions about queue jumping and lobbying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

clohamon wrote: »
    I think the pair of them (Keaveney & Killilea) settled on calling for villages around Tuam to be prioritised, over Inverin presumably.

It looks like another version of Kieran O'Donnell's 'gap areas'.

NBI could do worse than having a DA lottery ever six months with Panti Bliss and some dour gent from KPMG. At least it would deal with the suspicions about queue jumping and lobbying.

From chatting with a neighbour who was speaking with a Councilor on that call, they weren't talking about gap areas missed in initial rollout.

They had NBI presenting to Galway CoCo and the only information they had was discussing the areas part of the network build in Galway City and Loughrea. Basically the info already on the NBI website.

They had zero information at all on any other DA's in the county. None and this was meant to be a breakdown from NBI's Joe Lavin explaining the full County roadmap.

It all comes back to NBI's lack of transparency, lack of info and the majority of info they give is as if they are talking to a 10 year old.

EDIT: Seeing as NBI were really pushing for people to contact their twitter team, I did today. Received a template response of "keep an eye on the website". When I pushed for more info on a rough survey date, they literally said "We are not sure it could be next month or next year".

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Gav_96 wrote: »
    I have no date as of yet imagine called me today to offer half price install launching in April in my area, half afraid to go with them due to the fair use limits per day (and 20gb? Updates for triple a games are bigger than that)

How is your experience with them.

Not sure what to do, thinking of a 4g router with three simcard as I get high enough speeds most of the time better than the adsl

Hi Gav.
    I don't want to derail this thread too much; you'd probably be better off asking in the main Imagine thread.

Briefly however, I'd say my experience with the company is the worst I've ever had, whereas the product itself is hit and miss. The quality of service you get tens to vary by mast (which it really shouldn't). I use a 3 mobile connection to offload games downloads etc. so data usage is not a huge issue any more.

For WFH, streaming etc. it has been relatively OK for me recently, but hasn't always been like that.

If your area is getting a new mast, then I'd say there will be a honeymoon period after launch before it fills up; after that it's a lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

I just got this - basically says nothing....

"Hello there,

Thank you for signing up for updates with National Broadband Ireland (NBI).
    We're pleased to confirm that the premises relating to Eircode PXXXXXX is included in the National Broadband Plan Intervention Area* (IA). This means that once your premises is ready for connection, you will have access to the NBI™ network, Ireland's newest high-speed fibre broadband network.

Surveying has yet to commence in your area. Surveying is required in order to produce a detailed network design so we can bring the NBI™ network to your premises.

We will update you as soon as we have more details on when your area is ready to be surveyed.

We started physical work on the ground in January 2020 and despite the challenging environment caused by Covid-19, we’ve grown and mobilised the team to have over 800 people working on the project across all 26 counties and making good progress.

We are acutely aware that people want access to high-speed fibre broadband as soon as possible and our goal is to deliver a quality, reliable and future-proofed high-speed fibre network to every premises in the Intervention Area as quickly and effectively as possible.

Got a question? We've created an FAQ section on our website, so you can get all the information you require on the spot.

We'll be in touch again when we have more updates on your premises

Kind regards,
    The NBI team"

Err.....Yay :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Received the same email, got excited for a moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭verizon

Got the same email today also :) It's mildly exciting. It's now a race between nbi and Elon Musk for me which is expected for Summer time for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Got the same email thanks for the heads up, so my heart wasnt completely crushed when I saw it pop in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

I got the same mail today. They have me down for January-December 2023. I managed to find out from someone in NBI that I'm currently down for connection in H2 of 2023. It seems like forever away, but I've been struggling to get decent broadband for over 20 years now so I'll just have to suck it up for another couple.

I was hoping to have it before my fiftieth, but that ain't gonna happen now. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Also got the email, glad I did even though its basically not a real update tbh because although I signed up for updates I never got any response at all so wasn't sure if it had even registered me lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

Had fibre ducting run at the beginning of Feb here just outside Roscommon town. I will be serviced by a DP, but the neighbour has an underground duct to house. NBI lads back out today at the neighbour's house with digger and have run a duct up the side of the telephone pole with new metal shielding. Not sure why. Is that normal for someone with an existing copper phone line in an underground duct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Area: West Wicklow. Specifically the lane I live on.

Hedge/tree cutting contractors arrived today. Yippee.....

Some people have asked for timeframes. So in my particular case (might apply overall)...

Today is 26th March 2021.

September 2020: One man and an Actavo/NBI van doing a survey.
    December 2020: One man taking pictures of poles etc.
    Today: Contractors cutting hedges and trees.
    Anticipated availability: October 2021 - December 2021.

I'm excira and delighra (as Gaybo used to say) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stephen.dunne

Area: West Wicklow. Specifically the lane I live on.

Hedge/tree cutting contractors arrived today. Yippee.....

Some people have asked for timeframes. So in my particular case (might apply overall)...

Today is 26th March 2021.

September 2020: One man and an Actavo/NBI van doing a survey.
    December 2020: One man taking pictures of poles etc.
    Today: Contractors cutting hedges and trees.
    Anticipated availability: October 2021 - December 2021.

I'm excira and delighra (as Gaybo used to say) :D
    Ooh, I'm jelly.. Where abouts ? Near Blessington ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Had fibre ducting run at the beginning of Feb here just outside Roscommon town. I will be serviced by a DP, but the neighbour has an underground duct to house. NBI lads back out today at the neighbour's house with digger and have run a duct up the side of the telephone pole with new metal shielding. Not sure why. Is that normal for someone with an existing copper phone line in an underground duct?

They use those side-of-pole ducts where they're terminating road ducts that have the fibre going under ESB wires also

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Hi, hope this is the right home for this query!

So a village I am moving to has fibre broadband. However the house/Eircode for our new house is the only one without the "Green" fibre icon and the Eircode doesnt come up when i enquire about availability.
    So the questions is, because the house is surrounded by Fibre, will Eir view this as a simple fix and add availability ?
    I cant understand, it looks like the house was simply missed when they were in the area. Or maybe its just a database/technical error?

Any other experiences of this and/or solutions most welcome!

PS its not located at the end of a road or beyond the range. Houses either side have it.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Ooh, I'm jelly.. Where abouts ? Near Blessington ?

Yep, just outside on the Baltinglass side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

could anybody confirm what is the deployment area for Whitechurch in Cork?

would it be Killavullen, Fermoy? or am i off the mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

@ heavydawson. Thanks, that makes sense, I had a guy from the ESB who knocked on my door about 3 hours ago looking for my neighbours house. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    I just got this - basically says nothing....

"Hello there,

Thank you for signing up for updates with National Broadband Ireland (NBI).
    We're pleased to confirm that the premises relating to Eircode PXXXXXX is included in the National Broadband Plan Intervention Area* (IA). This means that once your premises is ready for connection, you will have access to the NBI™ network, Ireland's newest high-speed fibre broadband network.

Surveying has yet to commence in your area. Surveying is required in order to produce a detailed network design so we can bring the NBI™ network to your premises.

We will update you as soon as we have more details on when your area is ready to be surveyed.

We started physical work on the ground in January 2020 and despite the challenging environment caused by Covid-19, we’ve grown and mobilised the team to have over 800 people working on the project across all 26 counties and making good progress.

We are acutely aware that people want access to high-speed fibre broadband as soon as possible and our goal is to deliver a quality, reliable and future-proofed high-speed fibre network to every premises in the Intervention Area as quickly and effectively as possible.

Got a question? We've created an FAQ section on our website, so you can get all the information you require on the spot.

We'll be in touch again when we have more updates on your premises

Kind regards,
    The NBI team"

Err.....Yay :(

yeh i got that and thought yaaaay they are starting the survey.

oh ! no there not.............................

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭captivo

We've just recently completed a new build and have an eircode which is registered on NBI website with status Premises Pending Survey. However I've just noticed that all other houses in neighbourhood have a status of Survey Planned. Just wondering if there is anyway of ensuring that our house gets surveyed at same time as neighbours? I'd hate to be left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

BArra wrote: »
    could anybody confirm what is the deployment area for Whitechurch in Cork?

would it be Killavullen, Fermoy? or am i off the mark

Whitechurch is listed under the Grenagh deployment.

https://nbi.ie/grenagh-townlands/

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

Less than 1000 premises passed nationwide according to Eamon Ryan in the Dáil on Wednesday. Not exactly stellar progress.
    In relation to premises installed with high speed broadband under the NBP, the first fibre to the home connections are successfully connected and in a test and trial phase in Carrigaline, Co Cork and Cavan. I am advised that almost 1,000 homes are passed and available for connection in Counties Cork and Cavan. I understand build works are continuing across the country in 9 Deployment Areas which cover some 34,000 premises. Pre build works are also underway in 18 Deployment Areas that cover 64,000 premises.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2021-03-24/237/question/237/

NBAiii wrote: »
    Less than 1000 premises passed nationwide according to Eamon Ryan in the Dáil on Wednesday. Not exactly stellar progress.

Very disappointing.

Minister is meeting the Oireachtas Committee on Tuesday of next week (30/03/2021) nominally to discuss estimates. I hope it's more focussed questioning than previously.
    15.30 Select Committee on Transport and Communications Networks CR3, LH 2000
    2021 Revised Estimates for Public Services - Vote 29 - (Programme A, Communications) and
    2021 Revised Estimates for Public Services - Vote 31 (Transport)
    Eamon Ryan, Minister for Environment, Climate and Communications; and Transport

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭EarWig

Imagine the future press release......

Government pays ? hundred million extra to speed up the NBP. Houses now will be connected in the seven years originally planned. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

Never thought I would see the day our area would be reached as we live in the countryside (in the middle of nowhere lol) and I got an email from NBI saying my eircode is in the National Broadband Plan intervention Area and that once my area is ready for connection, we will have access to high speed fibre network with minimum speed of 500mbps. I am in the Tullycanna area in Co. Wexford so I am surprised by this but not complaining lol

Sounds too good to be true lol

Not exactly stellar alright but they are finding and solving issues as they go that will hopefully stand to them in further DAs.

Very early stages. I'd hope once they get a DA or 2 under their belts things would move along.

• Advertisement

Advertisement