Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

On the low passing rate right now I still imagine it's gonna scale up given the work around the country multiple people are seeing now. It's gonna be a slow start as they build up the infrastructure, iron out logistical/technical issues and get more efficient at doing what they're doing. Would still rather a slow rollout done right than having to indefinitely suffer Imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

NBAiii wrote: »
    Less than 1000 premises passed nationwide according to Eamon Ryan in the Dáil on Wednesday. Not exactly stellar progress.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2021-03-24/237/question/237/
    Just a reminder......

National Broadband Ireland will pass approximately 10,000 premises by the end of 2020. By the end of 2021, National Broadband Ireland plans to pass approximately 115,000 premises. Approximately 70,000-100,000 premises will be passed each year thereafter with the final premises to be completed in 2026.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/e15062-high-speed-broadband-for-11m-people-in-homes-schools-businesses-acro/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

stupid question all, in an estate with underground ducting which duct will they try pull fibre thru, the electical or the phone ducting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

BobMc wrote: »
    stupid question all, in an estate with underground ducting which duct will they try pull fibre thru, the electical or the phone ducting ?

They will use ducts owned by eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭baz9375

Looks like it’s 1300 premises in Co.Cavan due to go live on 1st April.

• Advertisement

Falconire wrote: »
    They will use ducts owned by eir.

Be phone ducting so, great its on the way but I forsee a nightmare with blocked residential ducts, poorly built estate back in the original housing boom of late 00's, hopefully they can manage the pulls ! Our estate was shockingly flung together

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Pique

Be phone ducting so, great its on the way but I forsee a nightmare with blocked residential ducts, poorly built estate back in the original housing boom of late 00's, hopefully they can manage the pulls ! Our estate was shockingly flung together

They recently ran new ducting through an old Telecom Eireann (or maybe even P&T back then) underground duct from 1981 to avoid power lines on my road. I imagine that was pretty clogged and it was 50m or so.

You'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

I suppose it's better to wait and see what exactly is being proposed, but this looks like another stinker from the Department for Bad Ideas.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0328/1206651-rural-development-plan/
    The plan includes a pilot scheme to turn rural pubs into remote working hubs; the provision of public sector hubs in regional towns for public servants to work in their local areas, and a target of 400 IDA investments for region locations to create jobs.

'Our Rural Future: Rural Development Policy 2021-2025', the Government's plan for rural Ireland’s development over the next five years, will be announced this afternoon.
    The report also commits to "explore the potential to develop a pilot scheme to support the use of rural pubs as community spaces and hubs for local services".

Minister Humphreys said that "this is something that we have discussed with the Vintners' Federation of Ireland. The concept is around what they have in the UK: the Hub in the Pub.

Update

Optimising Digital Connectivity
    https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/128716/e7d34436-6e0a-4bb0-a7b1-230165357529.pdf#page=34

Full list of measures
    https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/128716/e7d34436-6e0a-4bb0-a7b1-230165357529.pdf#page=103

they're well advanced pulling ducting thru the estate roads alright, its the duct to the homes I see the problems arriving,
    I know my end is behind a skirting in the hall, must have a better look to see if I can find the end of it

they're well advanced pulling ducting thru the estate roads alright, its the duct to the homes I see the problems arriving,
    I know my end is behind a skirting in the hall, must have a better look to see if I can find the end of it

Yep, most householders don't realise the work on the duct to their house and access to it is their own concern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭markf1982

baz9375 wrote: »
    Looks like it’s 1300 premises in Co.Cavan due to go live on 1st April.

yes, im one of those thankfully, countdown is on!! i have digiweb ordered so hopfully it doesnt take an age from live date to installation

on another note, i know someone mentioned it but i have voip as part of the package and there were no mention of not having it due to nbi

markf1982 wrote: »
    yes, im one of those thankfully, countdown is on!! i have digiweb ordered so hopfully it doesnt take an age from live date to installation

on another note, i know someone mentioned it but i have voip as part of the package and there were no mention of not having it due to nbi

There was Digiweb rep on a few post back saying Voip is up and running with them for NBI customers.

What part of Cavan you in? I'm Cloverhill.

There was Digiweb rep on a few post back saying Voip is up and running with them for NBI customers.

What part of Cavan you in? I'm Cloverhill.

outside Cornafean

yes when i was talking to digiweb they said there would be no issues with voip so its part of the package we have ordered anyway

markf1982 wrote: »
    outside Cornafean

yes when i was talking to digiweb they said there would be no issues with voip so its part of the package we have ordered anyway

Brilliant, so you have go live date of 01/04 on the NBI eircode checker?

I'm still at January 2021 - May 2021. I'm hoping this will update on the 1st :-)

I'm still at January 2021 - May 2021. I'm hoping this will update on the 1st :-)

yes 01/04

before xmas it was 01/01-31/03, then changed to 01/02- 30/04 and last month changed to 01/04

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭andy.dunleavy

Response from Arden broadband earlier regarding April 1st live date

"Hi Andy, Thanks for reaching out. You're address is showing April-May however there is no update yet. If you would like we could retain your details and contact you once we have an exact date?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Apoapsis Rex

clohamon wrote: »

I presume they mean creating hubs in rural pubs that they are forcing to shut down through restrictions. It seems pubs shutting down are a plan of the government.

Or are they expecting people to work from where alcohol is sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

clohamon wrote: »

Wow if that is correct. 8% of 544k is 43500 premises. Estimates being slashed all over the shop. It was 70000 premises for this year a few weeks ago. At this rate they are going to need the ever mentioned "speeding up" just to hit their 2026 deadline.

Response from Arden broadband earlier regarding April 1st live date

"Hi Andy, Thanks for reaching out. You're address is showing April-May however there is no update yet. If you would like we could retain your details and contact you once we have an exact date?"

I got the same response form Arden. Looking at the pattern of updates since February I think it's likely our Eircodes will update on 1st April to go live date of 1st May.

(hope I'm wrong and they update to available to order on 1st April :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Yep, most householders don't realise the work on the duct to their house and access to it is their own concern

Can you elaborate on that please? I'd like to be as prepared as I can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

If you are ducted from your house to the nearest pole or eir duct outside your property, that portion is your problem if collapsed or blocked

if you are overhead then no worries

I presume they mean creating hubs in rural pubs that they are forcing to shut down through restrictions. It seems pubs shutting down are a plan of the government.

Or are they expecting people to work from where alcohol is sold?

Couldn't find a direct connection between 'active' pubs and hubs.

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/128716/e7d34436-6e0a-4bb0-a7b1-230165357529.pdf#page=34
    The Department of Rural and Community Development, as Chair of the National Hub Network Oversight Group, and the Western Development Commission will complete work in 2021 on developing and mapping a comprehensive picture of remote working hubs across the country, classifying the various facilities available. This will help to inform further investment decisions. The initiative will also lead to the establishment of a national integrated network of 400 remote working hubs, supported by shared back-office services and the development of an app to allow remote and mobile workers to book space in any of the hubs in the network through a centralised booking system. Many of the hubs will also be made available for community-based activities.

Make sure the duct is accessible and not blocked

NBAiii wrote: »
    Wow if that is correct. 8% of 544k is 43500 premises. Estimates being slashed all over the shop. It was 70000 premises for this year a few weeks ago. At this rate they are going to need the ever mentioned "speeding up" just to hit their 2026 deadline.

Looks like someone (Gavin O'Reilly) might have got their facts wrong.
    Asked about the broadband plan, Mr Ryan said that 196,000 houses had been surveyed, that 290 broadband connections points had been installed throughout the State and that 70,000 homes would have broadband connected by the end of the year, mainly in Cavan and Cork.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-announces-major-plan-aimed-at-reviving-rural-ireland-1.4523139

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

kaizersoze wrote: »

Those poles look in good shape :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

user1842 wrote: »
    Those poles look in good shape :)

:D They actually are...just a bit on the Kildare side. Boggy ground.
    They replaced a good few on that road that were way worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭akasudonim

Make sure the duct is accessible and not blocked

Apologies if this has been answered already (it's a long thread!), but if a new BB order is placed with a retailer, is it the retailer that will bring the line (from the NBI passing point on the road outside of the premises) to a point in the house?
    If overhead is not possible, then is it up to the consumer to get/have ducting provided to a point just outside the house - if existing electrical or phone ducting cannot be used?
    I can see a lot of situations in older (non-estate) houses where ducts will be impassable, but in most cases overhead might work - in mine overhead is not an option.

• Advertisement

Which is why I queried which duct will be used, elec or ph., I know our estate as I stated was built shockingly, god only knows what form or route ducting has taken,

even the entering point for the phone duct in mine is in a pretty inaccessible point in the front hallway, How much effort to they put into the pulling the fibre, hoping its not just a look see and bugger off

Advertisement