Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Anyone know what impact (if any at all) the global chip shortage is having on the plan? The Australian National Broadband Network has had to stop connecting customers due to shortages of modems.

Seeing as the majority of premises haven't even got a survey date yet, none

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Seeing as the majority of premises haven't even got a survey date yet, none
    We were due for connection in December, now likely to be July. There's something that has delayed it, nobody knows what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

We were due for connection in December, now likely to be July. There's something that has delayed it, nobody knows what it is.

There hasn’t been sight or sound of any nbi or kn group vans around Monkstown, Passage, Rochestown or Ballintemple in weeks. Cork-Mahon and Carrigaline are both supposed to be completed by the end of June, I can’t see it happening, there’s still no cable or DPs up here yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Tony H

had an nbi guy outside my house this morning checking the ducting , he said Midleton was almost complete , the expression he used was " They're ateing through it" and our area , Ringacoltig in Cobh will be done easily this side of Christmas , so it's looking good .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Very little activity around Galway City the last while too. Well at least from the route Ive travelled - the Menlo roundabout heading out the N84 road.

What appears to be fibre cabling half way up some polls just left loose for the last month or two. No DP boxes. Last actual activity I saw was about 4 weeks ago, one man with a mini digger near Menlo roundabout "working on behalf of NBI" sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

After signing up for updates using our eircode about a year ago we actually finally got an update a couple of weeks ago. Well kind of, the email said "Great news" and went on to confirm that we were for sure in the intervention area and that surveying will happen at some stage. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

joe123 wrote: »
    Very little activity around Galway City the last while too. Well at least from the route Ive travelled - the Menlo roundabout heading out the N84 road.

What appears to be fibre cabling half way up some polls just left loose for the last month or two. No DP boxes. Last actual activity I saw was about 4 weeks ago, one man with a mini digger near Menlo roundabout "working on behalf of NBI" sign.

Not seeing anything out near Carnmore either, DPs were hung up about 2 months ago but no sign of any work since. Was hoping that the eir code timelines on the NBI site would be updated since it's due to be delivered between April-June of this year and Digiweb mentioned May for my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Orebro

I doubt the sightings (or lack thereof!) that the few of us on here have are an accurate indication of rollout progress. I suspect if there were significant delays then it would be in the media etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Stringing fiber in Eglish near ahascragh, Ballinasloe yesterday.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3896737,-8.289565,3a,75y,24.39h,93.19t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sM-1xkVF6N2Utf7trj_JsHg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DM-1xkVF6N2Utf7trj_JsHg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D68.15618%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

Fiber already done, recently enough, also in Eglish.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3969744,-8.2931491,3a,75y,313.38h,96.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_djise5bg5e2zRhErEId2w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

@Orebro is right. It's hard to judge progress based on sightings. These crews are up and down every boreen and side road and never seen. I've often passed areas without fiber only to pass a couple of days later and it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭markf1982

kn were out this morning and set up. going now tho speeds are a little all over the shop for the moment but already tonnes better than i was getting

quick speedtest from phone taken beside the modem

Screenshot_20210408-132922.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭jones

markf1982 wrote: »
    kn were out this morning and set up. going now tho speeds are a little all over the shop for the moment but already tonnes better than i was getting

Jesus compared to my current 7mb line i cannot wait for these sorts of speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Where are you located?

Very jealous but excited. I'm allegedly 6 months away.

in cavan, oh trust me delighted compared to what i was getting with 3

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

Thanks for posting - great to see. Hoping to be posting speedtest too in a month's time :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

markf1982 wrote:

markf1982 wrote:

Great stuff, any idea of the timelines for the whole process ?

not sure when they were surveying, think it was last summer, then they were digging etc nov/dec and dps went on poles in dec and connected today

to tell the truth i barely saw them in the area, only saw the vans a few times around

Posts like this give me hope. Its a real thing and that it will happen eventually. :pac:

Damn you "Premises Pending Survey"

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭verizon

Posts like this give me hope. Its a real thing and that it will happen eventually. :pac:

Damn you "Premises Pending Survey"

I'm on "survey planned". Based on this thread I shouldn't get too excited for anything to be available soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Survey planned also here.
    To have internet like that would be savage!
    I experienced when I lived in Dublin I look forward to having it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

Kerry firm TLI to expand with 80 new jobs to service broadband and smart meter expansion

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/companies/arid-40261247.html

• Advertisement

Interesting to note that NBI appear to be actively updating the "premises surveyed" number on the homepage every few days.

I took down a note over a week ago or so when it was at 191513 surveyed. Since then it moved I think twice anyways. Currently stands at 196,606.

Helps give an indication of their progress I suppose.

NBI Survey count updated again this afternoon. Checked in this morning and it was around 198k.

Noticed there its now 201,111

Hopefully they are just behind in terms of updating the website, otherwise thats only ~5k premises surveyed in 2 and half weeks. That would be well off their "we survey 17k a month".

They said last year that surveying was something under their control in terms of acceleration and would easily be able to speed up that process even further. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Has anyone ever emailed to get their house added to the NBP?

I emailed back in January after noticing my house was not included in the plan despite receiving <12Mbps for 10+ years and no plans from Eir to upgrade this. Anyway, they got back to me and said their engineers ran tests etc and concluded that my house should be included in the NBP and that it’d be added and updated in the online map, however couple months later and it’s still the same and marked as not under the NBP.

Worth my time following up on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I emailed back in January after noticing my house was not included in the plan despite receiving <12Mbps for 10+ years and no plans from Eir to upgrade this. Anyway, they got back to me and said their engineers ran tests etc and concluded that my house should be included in the NBP and that it’d be added and updated in the online map, however couple months later and it’s still the same and marked as not under the NBP.

Absolutely yes. Pester them until it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

Email DCCAE and your local broadband officer. I've been in touch with them since January to have our premises added as our area has been surveyed and is being built out. Hoping for good news soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Nice one, thanks for the info lads. Where do I found out who’s my local broadband officer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Nice one, thanks for the info lads. Where do I found out who’s my local broadband officer?

Here...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116738287&postcount=2763

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just looked at the NBP site and its saying my area is due for connection in October to December this year which is great news, dodgy '4G' just doesnt cut the mustard.

Anyone know how it works with providers, their site lists a rake of them but presumably you dont get a choice of 10+? Also what kind of monthly fees are they charging, hoping it is under 50 at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/news/623704/national-broadband-ireland-to-connect-first-limerick-customers-this-summer.html

At a virtual meeting, Donal Hanrahan – Chief Operating Officer with NBI Deployment - told members of Limerick City and County Council that the network will be extended to other parts of Limerick once work to build a regional exchange in the city is complete.

From there work will begin to build a number of 'local exchanges' at locations across Limerick including Adare, Abbeyfeale, Hospital and Newcastle West.
    Mr Hanrahan explained that each exchange caters for premises which are located within a 20km radius meaning around 1,300 homes and business in Clare will also be connected once the Limerick city exchange is built in June.
    Around 350 premises in East Limerick will receive high-speed broadband via an exchange in Tipperary Town which is due to be completed by October.

According to Donal Hanrahan, the local exchange in the Adare area should be built in the second half of 2022 while the timetable for the remainder of the roll-out in Limerick has yet to be confirmed as survey works are ongoing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I wonder if the global semi-conductor shortage could effect the NBP?
    https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/one-year-delay-router-orders-amid-worsening-chip-shortage

The sooner bitcoin and the criminals mining it are banned the better for the world, it is on track to consume as much power as Germany within months.

Advertisement