Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

theguzman wrote: »
    I wonder if the global semi-conductor shortage could effect the NBP?
    https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/one-year-delay-router-orders-amid-worsening-chip-shortage

The sooner bitcoin and the criminals mining it are banned the better for the world, it is on track to consume as much power as Germany within months.

It's not against the law to mine crypto currencies, bizarre comment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

It's not against the law to mine crypto currencies, bizarre comment

Doubly bizarre when there is no correlation between crypto mining and a chip shortage affecting routers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2021-semiconductors-chips-shortage/

IDK why that is even part of the conversation on this thread tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

theguzman wrote: »
    The sooner bitcoin and the criminals mining it are banned the better for the world, it is on track to consume as much power as Germany within months.

Others pointed out that...
    - It's not illegal
    - no dots to be joined between router production and bitcoin mining.

More bad news...you've fallen for this lazy p...poor 'journalism' that runs tabloid headlines a la 'bitcoin consumers more electricity than country x'.

Have a read of this and inform the conclusions you're arriving at.

EDIT : Rather than take the thread off topic - I'll edit here and respond to the two posts below...
    ECO Mental - you say the guy is 'selling bitcoin services'! - wtf does that mean! He works in the industry yes but he's not selling you anything any more than anyone else presenting you with their opinion. You're trying to suggest that he's biased whilst the others are not? Everyone is capable of bias - everyone. People are forming their views based on this lazy journalism - and developing their own bias on that basis....the same as you two are.
    As regards your 'big problem' - I've a huge problem with someone taking a facist view and deciding what people get to expend energy on. Who the hell do you think you are!? If we're playing that game, lets shut down youtube this very day - and have all game consoles destroyed. Lets express the same moral outrage about those energy uses....as well as the fact that the conventional banking system uses much more energy.
    user1842 - there is no such thing as 'really independent'!!! That's such a cod. Otherwise, see above.
    You can come into the light on the subject but for anyone that isn't coming into the light, know that there will be no stopping bitcoin mining - it's carried out in 195 jurisdictions - and it's not going to be banned in 195 jurisdictions.

Anyway to get back to what this thread is about, how often is the roll out map updated.

Currently still no sign of even a survey date for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Anyway to get back to what this thread is about, how often is the roll out map updated.

Currently still no sign of even a survey date for me

I cant make head nor tail of it to be honest. For example they announced surveying was taking place in areas in Roscommon back in March, but they are still down as Survey Planned on their rollout page.

The customer support is useless too as pretty much anyone who asks, is told to 1. Provide an eircode and 2. Then be told they dont know when but to keep an eye on the website.

I think its safe to assume at this stage, anyone who is still down as "Premises Pending Survey" is looking at late 2024/2025 at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

joe123 wrote: »
    I cant make head nor tail of it to be honest. For example they announced surveying was taking place in areas in Roscommon back in March, but they are still down as Survey Planned on their rollout page.

The customer support is useless too as pretty much anyone who asks, is told to 1. Provide an eircode and 2. Then be told they dont know when but to keep an eye on the website.

I think its safe to assume at this stage, anyone who is still down as "Premises Pending Survey" is looking at late 2024/2025 at the earliest.

Are some premises still listed as "premises pending survey" or is everywhere without a date changed to "survey planned"?

daraghwal wrote: »
    Are some premises still listed as "premises pending survey" or is everywhere without a date changed to "survey planned"?

Yeah majority are still Premises Pending Survey. Spotted a few with "Survey Planned" and no date but assume these are one step behind those with Survey planned and a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Nbi replacing poles on my road today (east cork area), took em the day to replace 2 poles though, wondering if that's average ?

Had a friend send me on this image this evening, he was on the expert talk linked above. Unfortunately he doesn't know what the yellow dots mean. They are a new addition to what's already on the NBI site.

550054.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Had a friend send me on this image this evening, he was on the expert talk linked above. Unfortunately he doesn't know what the yellow dots mean. They are a new addition to what's already on the NBI site.

Is there a recording available of that talk? I meant to check it out but clean forgot.

I wonder if those exchanges in yellow are required for connecting adjacent exchanges or along the backhaul lines or something....

Im just excited because I see the donegal town one highlighted there - I had assumed the order would be Letterkenny - Ballybofey and then Donegal Town so I'd be right at the very end of the rollout. Might still be the case of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

The yellow dots are the enet OLT locations, the white are Open Eir, the green are the PoHs which are also all enet.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Grey is Eir, Yellow (and Green PoH) is enet.

Edit: I was trying to figure it out before NBAii beat me to it but here's a map of enets network overlaying NBI anyway :D

Is there a recording available of that talk? I meant to check it out but clean forgot.

No not that I know of.
    NBAiii wrote: »
    The yellow dots are the enet OLT locations, the white are Open Eir, the green are the PoHs which are also all enet.

Poh aside, do the yellow have any impact on rollout route? Or once a POH is built, does it work its way out in a certain route? Each connected to the next?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

This week they seem to be cutting holes in the road every few hundred metres with a mini-digger. Not sure what that's about.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    This week they seem to be cutting holes in the road every few hundred metres with a mini-digger. Not sure what that's about.

Most likely ducting is down there and they are now putting in manholes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

or the ducting is blocked so they dig down to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

just got granted planning in the intervention area

do I have to contact the department to make sure I'm included in the roll out or will I just be picked up whenever surveying begins ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭listermint

fergus1001 wrote: »
    just got granted planning in the intervention area

do I have to contact the department to make sure I'm included in the roll out or will I just be picked up whenever surveying begins ?

You will need an Eircode AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

In case anyone missed it, Mattie McGrath TD and other independent TDs have called for the NBP roll-out schedule to be completed by the end of 2022.
    https://tipperarytimes.com/community/rural-independent-tds-move-dail-motion-forcing-investment-in-rural-ireland/

The motion was moved in the Dáil by Richard O’Donoghue TD.
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2021-04-01/12/
    calls on the Government to:
    — show much-needed urgency and fast track the roll-out of the National Broadband Plan across rural Ireland, with a deadline of end 2022 instead of the unacceptable 2027 Government target;

Michael McGrath TD (The Minister ) responded that NBI will be reporting to DECC “shortly”.
    The programme for Government commits to seeking to accelerate the seven-year timeline for the national broadband plan. I have met National Broadband Ireland representatives to discuss this issue. They will be reporting shortly, through the Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications, on the scope that exists and the options for the acceleration of the broadband plan. The Government is really determined to do that, if at all possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

There's a black spool of cable hanging on top of a telephone phone that KN network put up about 8 months ago. It's about 85 meters from my house. I don't see the cable continuing to the pole outside my house though. What's the likelihood that ill be connected? According to the government website, my house is not in the intervention area even though I can only get 15Mb, which is under the 30Mb intervention criteria.

There's a black spool of cable hanging on top of a telephone phone that KN network put up about 8 months ago. It's about 85 meters from my house. I don't see the cable continuing to the pole outside my house though. What's the likelihood that ill be connected? According to the government website, my house is not in the intervention area even though I can only get 15Mb, which is under the 30Mb intervention criteria.

Zero likelyhood by NBI if you are currently down as being outside the IA.

Theres a good few posts over recent pages if you look back over the thread with similar reports and what to do.

Go to NBI.ie > Input eircode and follow instructions from Find out More if your're not in the IA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭wassie

clohamon wrote: »
    In case anyone missed it, Mattie McGrath TD and other independent TDs have called for the NBP roll-out schedule to be completed by the end of 2022.
    https://tipperarytimes.com/community/rural-independent-tds-move-dail-motion-forcing-investment-in-rural-ireland/

The motion was moved in the Dáil by Richard O’Donoghue TD.
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2021-04-01/12/

Michael McGrath TD (The Minister ) responded that NBI will be reporting to DECC “shortly”.

Yes we did miss it - don't get me wrong, Im all for expediting the NBI, but the fact that this only made news in the Tipp Times says it all really.

wassie wrote: »
    Yes we did miss it - don't get me wrong, Im all for expediting the NBI, but the fact that this only made news in the Tipp Times says it all really.

Chatting to the lad who joined the talk yesterday with Emmet O'Connell from NBI, it was asked how long he sees the rollout taking.

He said it will be the expected 5-7 years but mentioned they are still looking at acceleration to have it in 5 years. Said that the biggest problem is they cant just shut down the country while they work along roads. Hinted at issues such as receiving permission, planning permission from local councils, traffic etc and that all slows everything down.

Said something along the lines of, if they had 300 people all working a stretch of road it'd be great, but its not feasible so they have to work in isolated pockets of teams.

Surely if there was a time to work on acceleration it'd be now with lockdowns and a large portion of the population working from home. Can see it being alot trickier once "normality" begins to resume and you see the usual giving out about road works and traffic lights in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

An update on the NBI trial rollout using ESB infrastructure in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭wassie

Chatting to the lad who joined the talk yesterday with Emmet O'Connell from NBI, it was asked how long he sees the rollout taking.

He said it will be the expected 5-7 years but mentioned they are still looking at acceleration to have it in 5 years. Said that the biggest problem is they cant just shut down the country while they work along roads. Hinted at issues such as receiving permission, planning permission from local councils, traffic etc and that all slows everything down.

Said something along the lines of, if they had 300 people all working a stretch of road it'd be great, but its not feasible so they have to work in isolated pockets of teams.

Surely if there was a time to work on acceleration it'd be now with lockdowns and a large portion of the population working from home. Can see it being alot trickier once "normality" begins to resume and you see the usual giving out about road works and traffic lights in place.

Its a good point.

At the same time I think there would also be constraints due to labour supply. Getting enough workers for both the design and construction to accelerate the rollout even by two years will be challenging enough. Hard to see a large scale investment in training by the private sector if there are no jobs after the contact is completed a couple of years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was wondering about this, Im in an intervention area but looking at the Fibre Roll Out map its showing houses a few hundred metres away wtih yellow dots outside them but mine doesnt, should I be worried? Can you be in an intervention area yet still not connected or are they doing 100% of what is in each IA?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

No not that I know of.

Poh aside, do the yellow have any impact on rollout route? Or once a POH is built, does it work its way out in a certain route? Each connected to the next?

I don't believe the yellow enet locations have any impact. I had thought that they would build these first due to cost reasons in occupying eir exchanges but there are eir exchanges listed ahead of enet ones in their rollout plan so that does not seem to be the case.

To explain the route I have attached an image:

550152.png

A - Cavan
    B - Kilnaleck
    C - Bawnboy
    D - Carrigallen
    E - Aucgnacliffe

D or E can't be built before B or C get completed. So it could go A then C or A then B but not A then D or A then E.

What would make them chose B over C or vice versa I'm not sure of. Perhaps ease of build or number of premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tedder

What exactly would the process look like once you get a go live date off NBI?
    Is it simply a case of ordering off the ISP and they wire from the DP to the house.
    Or would NBI finish wiring to the house then I can order, or do I hire someone to wire to the house and order?

Also any info on a range of April - June would it be fair to hope to be connected in may at some point, getting a date update anytime this month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was wondering about this, Im in an intervention area but looking at the Fibre Roll Out map its showing houses a few hundred metres away wtih yellow dots outside them but mine doesnt, should I be worried? Can you be in an intervention area yet still not connected or are they doing 100% of what is in each IA?

https://fibrerollout.ie/ is only for Eir Fibre.

For NBI fibre in the IA, you should check https://nbi.ie/

Advertisement