Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭wassie

tedder wrote: »
    What exactly would the process look like once you get a go live date off NBI?
    Is it simply a case of ordering off the ISP and they wire from the DP to the house.
    This.

Similar to OpenEir fibre network, you contact your Retail (broadband) Service Provider (RSP) provider and they will arrange connection via overhead cable or duct.

https://nbi.ie/installation-of-new-underground-ducting-on-a-home-or-business-premises/

Also any info on a range of April - June would it be fair to hope to be connected in may at some point, getting a date update anytime this month?
    This is the 'anticipated' range during which the service should be live in your area and made available to the RSP to start offering services. It could be April, it could be after June - NBI clearly state these dates are subject to change and therefore it is essentially an estimate.

The fastest way to be notified would be to register with a couple of RSPs who will contact you as soon as your premises is ready for connection. Registering places you under no obligation to sign up and at that stage you should compare offerings from all available RSPs.

Once you have signed up with an RSP, your connection will depend when the next available appointment is available as this is generally contracted out (to the likes of KNN for example). Typically this is around 10 days, but could be sooner or later, subject to current workloads. Also if your install is non-standard, then it may take a couple of visits which will drag the process out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Spillanee

Was onto digiweb yesterday and managed to preorder their 500mb service. I’m living out by renville just outside Oranmore in Galway. I haven’t been given an official go live date but based on previous posts it seems that you are able to pre order it roughly 30 days before it’s available in your area. On the NBI website my go live date is still between ‘Apr - June’ but nevertheless it’s a bit of hope. Might be worth contacting digiweb for anyone in Galway and see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

NBAiii wrote: »
    I don't believe the yellow enet locations have any impact. I had thought that they would build these first due to cost reasons in occupying eir exchanges but there are eir exchanges listed ahead of enet ones in their rollout plan so that does not seem to be the case.

To explain the route I have attached an image:

550152.png

A - Cavan
    B - Kilnaleck
    C - Bawnboy
    D - Carrigallen
    E - Aucgnacliffe

D or E can't be built before B or C get completed. So it could go A then C or A then B but not A then D or A then E.

What would make them chose B over C or vice versa I'm not sure of. Perhaps ease of build or number of premises.

Great explanation, exactly what I was wondering.

In this scenario would they ever build B then C? Or once they chose a route they follow that?

I ask because my OLT is like your example. A is Galway, they have started work on Athenry....but if they are to continue that same direction, my exchange Belclare will be dead last, even though its a direct line to the Galway exchange thats currently being built and due to go live in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Spillanee wrote: »
    Was onto digiweb yesterday and managed to preorder their 500mb service. I’m living out by renville just outside Oranmore in Galway. I haven’t been given an official go live date but based on previous posts it seems that you are able to pre order it roughly 30 days before it’s available in your area. On the NBI website my go live date is still between ‘Apr - June’ but nevertheless it’s a bit of hope. Might be worth contacting digiweb for anyone in Galway and see what the story is.

I ordered Digiweb in February (Cork City) and am still waiting for connection so just take that into account that it likely won’t be 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Spillanee

I ordered Digiweb in February (Cork City) and am still waiting for connection so just take that into account that it likely won’t be 30 days.

Yeah I’m definitely not staying hopeful considering we were originally planned to be up and running in December-January but nevertheless a step in the right direction so I won’t complain .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Hi All,

Surveys in my area are finally happening at the moment. That's really positive. How long does it usually take from there to get connected? (NBI)

Hi All,

Surveys in my area are finally happening at the moment. That's really positive. How long does it usually take from there to get connected? (NBI)

What area are you? It will be roughly 12-18 months.

EDIT: Should clarify, the 12-18 months is what some people have experienced so far eg. Cavan. If you look at the NBI website however dates stretch much further.

An example is Castlerea where surveying is currently ongoing (Spoke with a friend who spotted them just outside the town yesterday). Anticapated date for connection on the official website is January 2023 – December 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

tedder wrote: »
    What exactly would the process look like once you get a go live date off NBI?
    Is it simply a case of ordering off the ISP and they wire from the DP to the house.
    Or would NBI finish wiring to the house then I can order, or do I hire someone to wire to the house and order?

Also any info on a range of April - June would it be fair to hope to be connected in may at some point, getting a date update anytime this month?

Our area is live in carrigaline area for the last 6 weeks or so and Vodafone and Eir still arent reselling. When I put my eircode into VF its say NBI is available in your area and register your interest

danny004 wrote: »
    Our area is live in carrigaline area for the last 6 weeks or so and Vodafone and Eir still arent reselling. When I put my eircode into VF its say NBI is available in your area and register your interest
    Digiweb told me the Carrigaline rollout was available to order within 60 days of when it'll go live. I ordered in February and 60 days later no sign so I guess VF/EIR have received diff schedules

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote: »
    What area are you? It will be roughly 12-18 months.

EDIT: Should clarify, the 12-18 months is what some people have experienced so far eg. Cavan. If you look at the NBI website however dates stretch much further.

An example is Castlerea where surveying is currently ongoing (Spoke with a friend who spotted them just outside the town yesterday). Anticapated date for connection on the official website is January 2023 – December 2023.

Thanks just checked site. ETA is similar to above for 2023. At least it's light at the end of the tunnel. Seeing someone survey the area at least signals movement of some sort!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

joe123 wrote: »
    Great explanation, exactly what I was wondering.

In this scenario would they ever build B then C? Or once they chose a route they follow that?

I ask because my OLT is like your example. A is Galway, they have started work on Athenry....but if they are to continue that same direction, my exchange Belclare will be dead last, even though its a direct line to the Galway exchange thats currently being built and due to go live in the next couple of months.

They could build B and then C or vice versa, technically there is nothing preventing it. However, as I said previously, I'm unsure of their reasoning for choosing one area over another so in your case Gurteen over Belclare if they choose to go that route.

Digiweb told me the Carrigaline rollout was available to order within 60 days of when it'll go live. I ordered in February and 60 days later no sign so I guess VF/EIR have received diff schedules

None of the 3 major ISPs ( VF, EIR & Sky) have released their NBI offerings as of yet. Hopefully these will be published shortly. Will be very frustrating if your premises is made available to connect but you are unable to compare all the plans available.

From pricing I have seen to date ~€45/month for 500mB seems to be what can be expected. Would be interesting to see any other pricing?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭andy.dunleavy

wassie wrote: »
    None of the 3 major ISPs ( VF, EIR & Sky) have released their NBI offerings as of yet. Hopefully these will be published shortly. Will be very frustrating if your premises is made available to connect but you are unable to compare all the plans available.

From pricing I have seen to date ~€45/month for 500mB seems to be what can be expected. Would be interesting to see any other pricing?

Eir just announced there new 500mb @ €39.99 p/m, locked in for 24 months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Got this reply today when asked about adding my address to the NBP as it was designated as not being eligible.. could be useful for others in a similar situation. Looks like I won’t be having fibre for another few years:

[My address] is located in the “Blue area” on the High Speed Broadband (HSBB) coverage map which is serviced by commercial fixed line broadband operators offering a minimum speed profile of 30Mbps download and 6Mbps upload. Due to some mapping anomalies there are some false positives on this HSBB national coverage map and [My address] is one of these false positives.
    The department is currently evaluating the blue area and looking at premises just like [My address] that are now identified as not capable of receiving HSBB. This evaluation will involve analysing all fixed line operators and their future HSBB rollout plans. If parts of the blue areas are deemed not sufficient to be classed as HSBB they will be reclassified and become part of the national broadband plan (NBP) in the future unless they are served by a commercial operator before the NBP is rolled out in these areas.

This will not deliver a HSBB solution in this location in the short term but a solution will be available in the medium to long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

So as I suspected the network build along or road is now finished but all our houses are still showing pending survey on the NBI website. One of the lads from Alltec working on it told me yesterday they were just finishing and they got to the end of the road today. I have messaged NBI on Twitter numerous times over the last 6 months as the work was going on but they just tell me what the rollout map says. Digiweb tell me that I won't be able to order until the status is correct. Does anyone know how I could get the website updated to the correct status?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

They need to add the number of premises live on the website would give us some indication of progress. I might message them

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

wassie wrote: »

VF have pricing at 30 pm 12 month contract but you cant actually order just register interest.
    SKY is 35 pm 12 month contract and available to order

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

VF have pricing at 30 pm 12 month contract but you cant actually order just register interest.

And Digiweb but the pricing is a bit hard to find via the site, so here's the URL

https://digiweb.ie/nbi-ftth-broadband/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

db wrote: »
    So as I suspected the network build along or road is now finished but all our houses are still showing pending survey on the NBI website. One of the lads from Alltec working on it told me yesterday they were just finishing and they got to the end of the road today. I have messaged NBI on Twitter numerous times over the last 6 months as the work was going on but they just tell me what the rollout map says. Digiweb tell me that I won't be able to order until the status is correct. Does anyone know how I could get the website updated to the correct status?

What area if you don't mind me asking ?

• Advertisement

What area if you don't mind me asking ?

Clonlara, Co Clare. Part of the Limerick rollout.

Very weird! Not even survey underway but premises pending survey is strange.

At a guess your best bet is maybe to contact your counties broadband officer but honestly they can be very hit and miss. If the officer is competent they will chase it up and know whats what, otherwise they will fob you off with possibly incorrect info!

I know Airwire and Digiweb both have a presence on here so if you could get chatting to one of them.

NBI customer support is a waste of time from my own experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

NBI have a full size Billboard in Athlone , The sign is a couple of 100 meters from Westmeath/Roscommon Border.

It says GALWAY the wait is nearly over!

TimHorton wrote: »
    NBI have a full size Billboard in Athlone , The sign is a couple of 100 meters from Westmeath/Roscommon Border.

It says GALWAY the wait is nearly over!
    Their PR is ridiculous. Huge adverts all over Facebook about the Carrigaline rollout being available. No it's not. 99% of it is not live.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

Clonlara, Co Clare. Part of the Limerick rollout.

This article from a few days ago would suggest you are not going live until June at the earliest.
    The first connections - to around 1,600 premises in the greater Limerick city area - could be complete by June with customers then being able to sign up with a service provider once the fibre 'passes' their property.

You have to understand that just because it appears that work is finished on your road that it does not mean that you will automatically be able to order. The Limerick area is divided up into four ribbons, A to D. You are in ribbon B with 1563 other premises. It is quite possible that the build contractor will only release each ribbon to NBI when it is fully complete.

NBAiii wrote: »
    This article from a few days ago would suggest you are not going live until June at the earliest.

You have to understand that just because it appears that work is finished on your road that it does not mean that you will automatically be able to order. The Limerick area is divided up into four ribbons, A to D. You are in ribbon B with 1563 other premises. It is quite possible that the build contractor will only release each ribbon to NBI when it is fully complete.

Yes, the townland is included on the rollout plan scheduled for June - August 2021 but every house that is to be connected still shows Pending Survey on the NBI map. The other area in the village that is also being worked on at the moment has a status of build in progress and the correct connection timeframe. There was a team back working on the poles this week and I had a chat while I was waiting for them to move the van. They told me that they were on the last part of the build and they finished up yesterday afternoon and left. I get that it might be a while before the network is handed over to NBI to accept connections but if we still have the wrong status at that point none of the providers will be able to take an order. I called Digiweb to see if it showed up any differently for them but they see the same status.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

The big companys seem to have grand offers for the first year but goes up after that (Example Digiweb 500MB €29.95 then €59.95 after the year) , I see locally in cavan Arden Eurona are €45 all the time so best for all to check local instead if getting one years Broadband and then gotta change again in a year perhaps.

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    The big companys seem to have grand offers for the first year but goes up after that (Example Digiweb 500MB €29.95 then €59.95 after the year) , I see locally in cavan Arden Eurona are €45 all the time so best for all to check local instead if getting one years Broadband and then gotta change again in a year perhaps.
    Digiweb go up if you don't agree a new contract. They explicitly say in the order that ring us after 12 months and you'll go back to the lower price.

Their PR is ridiculous. Huge adverts all over Facebook about the Carrigaline rollout being available. No it's not. 99% of it is not live.

Really is to be honest. They annoy me more than I find it helpful.

- Adverts everywhere saying Galway is live....well no I live in Galway and Im not even surveyed yet. 2025/26 for me.
    - Constant reminders to "contact us" yet when you do, they aren't able to provide any relevant information.
    - Template responses to emails/questions where it looks like its an automated response.
    - Talk of "accelerating the rollout" has been going on for over a year now with nothing to show for it.
    - Fluff articles/emails promoting a random house or business or even worse a bloody BCP getting connected.

Anyways positive thoughts...its the weekend :pac:

• Advertisement

Eir just announced there new 500mb @ €39.99 p/m, locked in for 24 months
    SKY is 35 pm 12 month contract and available to order

These appear to be their existing fibre plans - there is no mention of NBI and they still all have NBI landing pages to register interest and makes no mention of pricing. Can anyone confirm this is what they have been offered?

I was lead to believe the NBI pricing would be different to the existing plans - more than happy to be proven wrong.

Advertisement