Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭andy.dunleavy

wassie wrote: »
    These appear to be their existing fibre plans - there is no mention of NBI and they still all have NBI landing pages to register interest and makes no mention of pricing. Can anyone confirm this is what they have been offered?

I was lead to believe the NBI pricing would be different to the existing plans - more than happy to be proven wrong.

quoted €39.99 p/m for 500mb by eir nbi sales team on Thursday

https://www.eir.ie/nbi/

click view broadband bundles and it’s there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭wassie

quoted €39.99 p/m for 500mb by eir nbi sales team on Thursday

https://www.eir.ie/nbi/

click view broadband bundles and it’s there

Thanks for that.

That webpage states "eir...look forward to a full launch of eir Gigabit Fibre broadband this Spring." - I took that meaning their plans are not yet released.

Decent pricing but obviously its because of the 24 month contract. Im never keen to lock in for such a long contract.

Im guessing the 150mb plan is only available on OpenEir network and not NBI?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Thanks for that.

That webpage states "eir...look forward to a full launch of eir Gigabit Fibre broadband this Spring." - I took that meaning their plans are not yet released.

Decent pricing but obviously its because of the 24 month contract. Im never keen to lock in for such a long contract.

Im guessing the 150mb plan is only available on OpenEir network and not NBI?
    It also says under the Support page for the NBP:
    How much will it cost?
    The cost will be dependent on your broadband provider.
    To give you an indication of prices and the broadband bundles we currently provide, visit our broadband page.
    If you fall into the amber area of the map the DCCAE have indicated that the same level of competitive pricing should be expected.

So its not a firm finalised price yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

These appear to be their existing fibre plans - there is no mention of NBI and they still all have NBI landing pages to register interest and makes no mention of pricing. Can anyone confirm this is what they have been offered?

I was lead to believe the NBI pricing would be different to the existing plans - more than happy to be proven wrong.

No these prices were based on my location were NBI is the only fibre available and the vodafone one had a paragraph about NBI underneath that i didnt screengrab plus the only options available being 500mb or 1gb all point to NBI specific pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Strettie11

NBAiii wrote: »
    This article from a few days ago would suggest you are not going live until June at the earliest.

You have to understand that just because it appears that work is finished on your road that it does not mean that you will automatically be able to order. The Limerick area is divided up into four ribbons, A to D. You are in ribbon B with 1563 other premises. It is quite possible that the build contractor will only release each ribbon to NBI when it is fully complete.

Where can I see the ribbon data you mentioned above for Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 tedder

DP has been installed on my pole for a couple months now, workers back today taking them off the pole, checking something out and putting them back on.
    Any ideas what stage of the work that would be? Testing to see connections back to the cabinet? Could suggest going live soon maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

db wrote: »
    Yes, the townland is included on the rollout plan scheduled for June - August 2021 but every house that is to be connected still shows Pending Survey on the NBI map. The other area in the village that is also being worked on at the moment has a status of build in progress and the correct connection timeframe. There was a team back working on the poles this week and I had a chat while I was waiting for them to move the van. They told me that they were on the last part of the build and they finished up yesterday afternoon and left. I get that it might be a while before the network is handed over to NBI to accept connections but if we still have the wrong status at that point none of the providers will be able to take an order. I called Digiweb to see if it showed up any differently for them but they see the same status.

The retail service providers will not be working off the map on the NBI site. NBI will provide each RSP with a monthly deployment file with updates to the build and expected completion dates with associted ordering availability. This is the file you need to be included on and it is likely you will be. The map on their site seems to be an afterthought to them.
    Strettie11 wrote: »
    Where can I see the ribbon data you mentioned above for Limerick

It is not publicly available, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Spun down to the shop this morning and met a very nice NBI man surveying in the local village. Hopefully that puts us in the frame for 2022, despite having an official time frame of January-December 2023.

Either way, seeing NBI activity on the ground is very welcome. Feeling a bit giddy now. :D

Location is Suncroft, Co. Kildare (Curragh Camp OLT).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Bunch of hedge trimmers out today for NBI. My area (Julianstown), isn't due to be connected until January. Seems a bit early for them to be cutting hedges?

No idea how the process is supposed to work, but just seems fairly early is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Wing126 wrote: »
    Bunch of hedge trimmers out today for NBI. My area (Julianstown), isn't due to be connected until January. Seems a bit early for them to be cutting hedges?

No idea how the process is supposed to work, but just seems fairly early is all.

They were here in Jan-Feb, and we're not due for connection until Aug-Oct, so seems about right. There's a lot of follow on work that happens after the hedge cutting, namely they'll do a second pass for ducting, followed by another pass to resurface any area they had to dig up when laying new ducts (we're still waiting for them to come back and resurface an area literally right in front of our entrance)

They were here in Jan-Feb, and we're not due for connection until Aug-Oct, so seems about right. There's a lot of follow on work that happens after the hedge cutting, namely they'll do a second pass for ducting, followed by another pass to resurface any area they had to dig up when laying new ducts (we're still waiting for them to come back and resurface an area literally right in front of our entrance)

Re-surface was just done today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Hi folks, these black boxes (attached) recently appeared in Greystones, Wicklow near my house. We’re in the intervention area for NBI and due for connection later this year. From some Googling it seems like these boxes might be for something to do with Eir rural fibre, does anyone know if these are for Siro/Eir/NBI infrastructure?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Hi folks, these black boxes (attached) recently appeared in Greystones, Wicklow near my house. We’re in the intervention area for NBI and due for connection later this year. From some Googling it seems like these boxes might be for something to do with Eir rural fibre, does anyone know if these are for Siro/Eir/NBI infrastructure?

Those are SIRO - the fact that they're on an ESB pole is a dead giveaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Those are SIRO - the fact that they're on an ESB pole is a dead giveaway.

Thanks - was hoping it was Siro and not Eir 😬

Even though we’re in the intervention area for NBI, is it common that Siro would swoop in anyway and provide a connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭user1842

Thanks - was hoping it was Siro and not Eir ��

Even though we’re in the intervention area for NBI, is it common that Siro would swoop in anyway and provide a connection?

Eir and/or Siro can encroach into the intervention area. It is the reason my parents will get fibre roughly a year before their estimated NBI connection date.

Also looking at those pictures, I really wish the ESB network was used fully for NBI and rural fibre in general.

We could get rid of all telephone phones in the country and have one network saving a lot of maintenance money in the long term and reducing climate impact.

:(

db wrote: »
    Yes, the townland is included on the rollout plan scheduled for June - August 2021 but every house that is to be connected still shows Pending Survey on the NBI map.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the townlands. There's at least 500 overlaps (ie the same townland in two Deployment Areas)

Just noticed this from Irish Times last Saturday. It looks like eircom's overall (rural & urban) FTTP take-up is close to 50%.
    The network currently passes 749,000 homes, including 340,000 that had originally been earmarked for the National Broadband Plan (NBP). The aim is to extend this to 1.7 million over the next three years. The rollout is rapid, passing roughly 70,000 premises a quarter.
    The pandemic has accelerated the adoption of fibre, Lennon says, with take-up increasing by a third to 314,000.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/eir-looks-to-recapture-lost-ground-from-virgin-in-telecoms-arms-race-1.4539225

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

clohamon wrote: »
    Just noticed this from Irish Times last Saturday. It looks like eircom's overall (rural & urban) FTTP take-up is close to 50%.

Wonder does that mean theyre gonna finish the townlands that they half arsed a few years ago...

Wonder does that mean theyre gonna finish the townlands that they half arsed a few years ago...

The gist of the IT piece was that Virgin have eaten their lunch in urban areas and they're set on getting some of it back. (excuse the metaphor).
    If they've all their resources devoted to that, then extending the rural network looks unlikely.

On the take-up %age, Eircom was suggesting it was about mid 20's for the rural 300K concession two years ago. Assuming FTTP take-up is higher in rural areas (because there's fewer comparable alternatives) then rural take-up might be a lot more than 50% currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

clohamon wrote: »
    The gist of the IT piece was that Virgin have eaten their lunch in urban areas and they're set on getting some of it back. (excuse the metaphor).
    If they've all their resources devoted to that, then extending the rural network looks unlikely.

On the take-up %age, Eircom was suggesting it was about mid 20's for the rural 300K concession two years ago. Assuming FTTP take-up is higher in rural areas (because there's fewer comparable alternatives) then rural take-up might be a lot more than 50% currently.

I still dont get why one of the companies Virgin/Siro/OpenEir didnt focus more on areas that had no other option but DSL or Wisp.

Most urban areas have an option of the three. Siro rolling out in a friends estate in Galway and he's had FTTH for the last three years and has no intention of moving over to Siro. Seems like a waste of time.

joe123 wrote: »
    I still dont get why one of the companies Virgin/Siro/OpenEir didnt focus more on areas that had no other option but DSL or Wisp.

Most urban areas have an option of the three. Siro rolling out in a friends estate in Galway and he's had FTTH for the last three years and has no intention of moving over to Siro. Seems like a waste of time.

IIRC Siro's initial plan was to target towns with DSL but no VM. (50 towns - Phase I) Then they were to extend to a further 300 towns (Phase II) and finally they assumed the NBP was going to be handed to them (Phase III).
    So much for plans.

I think VM are happy enough not attracting the attention of the regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

I very much doubt most urban areas have a choice between Virgin/Siro/OpenEir(FTTH). Some may do but OpenEir are still early days in their Urban FTTH rollout and Siro are more towns and outer suburbs. Much of inner Dublin is more likely to be a choice between Virgin and Openeir xDSL.

In any event even 1/3 market share in an estate where you get economies of scale could be more profitable than servicing the ribbon development that is rural Ireland even if you had the majority of that market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

dam099 wrote: »
    I very much doubt most urban areas have a choice between Virgin/Siro/OpenEir(FTTH). Some may do but OpenEir are still early days in their Urban FTTH rollout and Siro are more towns and outer suburbs. Much of inner Dublin is more likely to be a choice between Virgin and Openeir xDSL.

In any event even 1/3 market share in an estate where you get economies of scale could be more profitable than servicing the ribbon development that is rural Ireland even if you had the majority of that market.

When I say rural I speak more about the small rural towns and villages, rather than 5 miles up a by road.

Example is my estate in a small town, ~100 houses where the best we can get is 15Mb and lower. If one of those companies rolled out to this estate or cluster villages, they would have sign up nearing 100% Im pretty sure.

But yet here we are with Siro currently rolling out in estates where either FTTH or Virgin are already set up. While I can see their business case for rolling out in areas that have Virgin, doubling down on areas that already have FTTH via OpenEir just seems like a waste of time and resources.

I suppose they have done the maths and deem its worth while to offer competition on top of OpenEir within Cities.

They are getting the same pay off from those of us stuck on Dsl as they would with FTTH so I guess it works out for them in a business sense.

Fibre being strung on poles outside my parents in law home just outside Tipperary town today. Availability is still set for August-October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

But yet here we are with Siro currently rolling out in estates where either FTTH or Virgin are already set up. While I can see their business case for rolling out in areas that have Virgin, doubling down on areas that already have FTTH via OpenEir just seems like a waste of time and resources.
    On the flip side, I am eagerly waiting for Siro to become available so I can jump away from Virgin. OpenEir FTTH is available, but between installation hassle and the higher prices, I'm patiently waiting for the Siro option.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Fibre being strung on poles outside my parents in law home just outside Tipperary town today. Availability is still set for August-October.

Yeah I've also seen some cables hanging out of the end of the ducting along my road outside tipp town.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Digiweb give a months notice for connection don't they? Haven't heard anything this month so assuming I've been pushed back to the June part of April-June 21 rollout dates! They mentioned in January that a provisional date was sometime in May, covid must have messed that up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Tony H

new ducting and inspection pits and fiber being run in Ringacoltig just outside Cobh yesterday , one of the pit cover even had NBI stamped on it , its the little things that give you such encouragement , looking good for Christmas .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Fiber'd areas around Ballinasloe highlighted and lots of side roads in between not shown on the map. Not much jointing done from what I've seen though.

551134.JPG

Advertisement