Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tedder

How often does NBI update the map? April - June estimation and its nearing may now would I be getting an update of live date anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

As of Thursday 22nd there were about 2300 premises passed nationwide according to Eamon Ryan in the Dáil.
    The first fibre to the home connections have been successfully connected and are in a test and trial phase in Carrigaline, Co Cork and Cavan. I am advised that over 2,300 premises are now passed and available for connection in Counties Cork and Cavan.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2021-04-22/9/speech/309/

2300 is about 28% of the combined Carrigaline and Cavan deployment areas.

There were also some changes to the NBI rollout page yesterday. The Lusk deployment area has been removed from that page with about 500 premises added to the Dunboyne/Clonee area so I assume these are ex-Lusk. I am unsure if the remainder of Lusk premises are to be spread among other areas.

The other changes were minor with tens of premises added or removed in certain areas.

https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭butwhynot

Got an NBI leaflet in the post today. imgur.com/a/YSM5Tr6
    Duct on telephone pole: imgur.com/a/wfFXpac

Also since the cable was hung on the telephone pole, all ISPs are saying broadband is unavailable. (OpenEir's checker was down).
    Network Build in Progress, August 2021 - October 2021

Since I already have OpenEir FTTH, will I be able to choose between OpenEir and NBI like you can in some areas with Siro, or will I be removed from the NBI rollout?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Fiber'd areas around Ballinasloe highlighted and lots of side roads in between not shown on the map. Not much jointing done from what I've seen though.

551134.JPG

Where'd you get this map?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

jdon72 wrote: »

I made it.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jdon72 wrote: »

I think Kaiser made it. Looks like the paint highlight tool.

EDIT: Beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

Is it usual for NBI to install ducting 1 year before rollout? We're planned to get fibre in April - June 2022.

Is it usual for NBI to install ducting 1 year before rollout? We're planned to get fibre in April - June 2022.

Fibre gets blown through that tubing, running that tubing is the hardest and most time consuming part

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

They seem to be working out of the Wexford (town) exchange first passing houses in addition to laying fibre to the Ballycarney exchange. Would you be on the route between the two? Also the ballycarney exchange area seems to be massive with almost all of its premises with that date. It’s possible they’ll take the year to get the whole area done in different stages of ducting, blowing fibre etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

daraghwal wrote: »
    They seem to be working out of the Wexford (town) exchange first passing houses in addition to laying fibre to the Ballycarney exchange. Would you be on the route between the two? Also the ballycarney exchange area seems to be massive with almost all of its premises with that date. It’s possible they’ll take the year to get the whole area done in different stages of ducting, blowing fibre etc.

There's quite a lot of overlap between Wexford (purple, connx 8-10/21) and Ballycarney (red, connx 4-6/22)

eg following townlands (in orange) all overlap in the DA townland listings
    BALLINAVARY, BALLYBUCKLEY, BALLYELAND ,BORRMOUNT, BREE, COOLTEIGE, CRAANE, DAVIDSTOWN, DUNANORE, KILGIBBON, RIVERVIEW, SPARROWSLAND, WILTON

and possibly these also KNOCKDUFF, PARK, CARRIG

551417.png

• Advertisement

clohamon wrote: »
    There's quite a lot of overlap between Wexford (purple, connx 8-10/21) and Ballycarney (red, connx 4-6/22)

eg following townlands (in orange) all overlap in the DA townland listings
    BALLINAVARY, BALLYBUCKLEY, BALLYELAND ,BORRMOUNT, BREE, COOLTEIGE, CRAANE, DAVIDSTOWN, DUNANORE, KILGIBBON, RIVERVIEW, SPARROWSLAND, WILTON

and possibly these also KNOCKDUFF, PARK, CARRIG

551417.png
    Yep I'm in one of those. The Wexford deployment is stopping 700m away from my townland and nearest other Ballycarney property is 3.4km away. It would make sense to think we would be included in the Wexford deployment seeing that it's closer but we're included in the Ballycarney deployment because there is no physical phone line or duct that I can see between Wexford deployment end and townland border.

I sent NBI an email about that but no joy and also contacted DCCAE and no joy there either yet.

For reference: Wexford deployment end Y21 H771 and townland border start Y21 N253.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

butwhynot wrote: »
    Got an NBI leaflet in the post today. imgur.com/a/YSM5Tr6
    Duct on telephone pole: imgur.com/a/wfFXpac

Also since the cable was hung on the telephone pole, all ISPs are saying broadband is unavailable. (OpenEir's checker was down).
    Network Build in Progress, August 2021 - October 2021

Since I already have OpenEir FTTH, will I be able to choose between OpenEir and NBI like you can in some areas with Siro, or will I be removed from the NBI rollout?

Does your Eircode show up on nbi.ie as being in the intervention area?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

About 2.5km outside Roscommon Town. Due to be connected by NBI AUG-OCT 2021. Three Eir vans have pulled up outside the house this morning and are in the man hole next to the pole where the NBI ducting is looped around the pole. They are pushing a white cable down the hole. Is this the fibre being blown?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

About 2.5km outside Roscommon Town. Due to be connected by NBI AUG-OCT 2021. Three Eir vans have pulled up outside the house this morning and are in the man hole next to the pole where the NBI ducting is looped around the pole. They are pushing a white cable down the hole. Is this the fibre being blown?

Eir use white pipe then they blow the fiber through it. One team installed the pipe then another comes out to blow the fiber through.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

Falconire wrote: »
    Eir use white pipe then they blow the fiber through it. One team installed the pipe then another comes out to blow the fiber through.

Thanks for the reply.. Just spoke to one of the fellas. He said they were cleaning the pipes on behalf of NBI in preparation for the fibre to be blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭butwhynot

Does your Eircode show up on nbi.ie as being in the intervention area?

Yes it does, I got fibre after the IA was finalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

NBI out digging another trench around Carnmore location. They dug up the pipe they laid about 3 months ago whatever is wrong. Hoping that it is just something minor that won't add weeks on to the roll out date of April-June this year

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭trant

Any sign of a DCCAE/NBI map update this month? I had been advised end of March but nothing yet as far as I can see.
    Still trying to get our property included in the rollout plan, all other properties on our cul-de-sac are included.

Yep I'm in one of those. The Wexford deployment is stopping 700m away from my townland and nearest other Ballycarney property is 3.4km away. It would make sense to think we would be included in the Wexford deployment seeing that it's closer but we're included in the Ballycarney deployment because there is no physical phone line or duct that I can see between Wexford deployment end and townland border.

I sent NBI an email about that but no joy and also contacted DCCAE and no joy there either yet.

For reference: Wexford deployment end Y21 H771 and townland border start Y21 N253.

Here is a section of the Ballycarney deployment area (in blue). The ducting that you posted the other day is part of the Wexford DA so if that is relatively close to your home it is likely that you are in the Wexford DA.

551473.PNG

NBAiii wrote: »
    Here is a section of the Ballycarney deployment area (in blue). The ducting that you posted the other day is part of the Wexford DA so if that is relatively close to your home it is likely that you are in the Wexford DA.

551473.PNG

Cheers, yeah it's only across the road from me. Looking at that map though, I'm still in the Ballycarney DA (barely ... if the horizontal piece in the lower right moves up 3 or 4mm I'm sorted :-) ) as the NBI website indicates but can literally see where the DA ends from my kitchen window around 100m away to the south towards Wexford direction.
    Would you happen to have similar map for the Wexford DA by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

butwhynot wrote: »
    Yes it does, I got fibre after the IA was finalised.

If I had to guess, it looks like you'll be able to go with OpenEir or NBI, which is pretty unusual I suspect. I believe Eir will be one of the ISPs on the NBI network too, so you could move from OpenEir-Eir to NBI-Eir :-)
    Or you could have redundant primary and secondary fibre ISPs :-)

Cheers, yeah it's only across the road from me. Looking at that map though, I'm still in the Ballycarney DA (barely ... if the horizontal piece in the lower right moves up 3 or 4mm I'm sorted :-) ) as the NBI website indicates but can literally see where the DA ends from my kitchen window around 100m away to the south towards Wexford direction.
    Would you happen to have similar map for the Wexford DA by any chance?

I don't have the Wexford DA map at present. If I come across it I'll post it.

NBI map has changed to allow me to pre-order fiber in my area (Carnmore, Galway). Have not been contacted by Digiweb about it yet after emailing them last week but I'm sure it can't be too far away

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭baz9375

TheSegal wrote: »
    NBI map has changed to allow me to pre-order fiber in my area (Carnmore, Galway). Have not been contacted by Digiweb about it yet after emailing them last week but I'm sure it can't be too far away

That's great news :-) what was it saying previously?

My Eircode is currently giving the 4th May as go live date (Cloverhill, Co.Cavan)

baz9375 wrote: »
    That's great news :-) what was it saying previously?

My Eircode is currently giving the 4th May as go live date (Cloverhill, Co.Cavan)

It was previously saying network under construction and would be available between April-June 2021. I have already pre-ordered with Digiweb back in January but was hoping they would contact me about the order now that NBI have updated things

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭baz9375

TheSegal wrote: »
    It was previously saying network under construction and would be available between April-June 2021. I have already pre-ordered with Digiweb back in January but was hoping they would contact me about the order now that NBI have updated things

Excellent - I'm hoping mine will update shortly too.

One of the other users on here had go live date of 1st April, the NBI Eircode checker updated that day and he also got a text from Digiweb the same day to confirm installation date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

My address says the same that I can pre order now, our date was between june-august

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭mun1

My address in fedamore, limerick has been updated to preorder.
    Gives me link to providers.
    Anyone know who give best deal , intro offer, 12 months etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

The few houses around Annaghdown/Corrandulla, Galway are also now "available to pre-order".

It appears when a status is updated, it automatically updates to the same status for every premises in that DA.

Likely the reason we see reports of work being done and then nothing for weeks. Assuming they can only progress to the pre-order stage once every townland in that DA is ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Our dates have changed for a fifth time as I suspected they would. From Nov 20-Feb 21 to Dec 21-May 22 to Nov 21 - Jan 22 to March 21- June 21 and now to July 21-August 21, the never ending saga! Was originally part of the Carrigaline rollout but was changed to Cork-Mahon at some point even though Carrigaline is our LEA, in the Monkstown/Passage West area.

Advertisement