Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

TheSegal wrote: »
    NBI map has changed to allow me to pre-order fiber in my area (Carnmore, Galway). Have not been contacted by Digiweb about it yet after emailing them last week but I'm sure it can't be too far away

I'm the same, I'm down the road from you. Can't be long now (please)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Our dates have changed for a fifth time as I suspected they would. From Nov 20-Feb 21 to Dec 21-May 22 to Nov 21 - Jan 22 to March 21- June 21 and now to July 21-August 21, the never ending saga! Was originally part of the Carrigaline rollout but was changed to Cork-Mahon at some point even though Carrigaline is our LEA, in the Monkstown/Passage West area.

Same as you I'm around the Ballygarvan area and they even put up the DP box months ago....I'm moving into my new house around August so its not too much of an issue yet! I wonder what the delay is?

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Same as you I'm around the Ballygarvan area and they even put up the DP box months ago....I'm moving into my new house around August so its not too much of an issue yet! I wonder what the delay is?

They only put the cable through the ducting outside our house on Monday, still no DPs put up along the road, saw them doing the same in Carrigmahon, Monkstown on the Tuesday. I wonder does the delay have to do with them concurrently doing the Cork-Mahon rollout along with Carrigaline? Funnily enough I saw NBI and KN vans around Blackrock/Mahon this week too when I haven’t seen any for about two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Ah jesus. Carrigaline rollout now pushed back again. Now showing July 2021 - August 2021. I'm in Rochestown. DPs were installed in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

mun1 wrote: »
    My address in fedamore, limerick has been updated to preorder.
    Gives me link to providers.
    Anyone know who give best deal , intro offer, 12 months etc

I am also in Fedamore and the status has changed from Network build in progress with an estimated date between July and August 2021 to surveying underway with a new date of July to December 2022

To say that I am gutted would be a massive understatement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Donutz wrote: »
    I am also in Fedamore and the status has changed from Network build in progress with an estimated date between July and August 2021 to surveying underway with a new date of July to December 2022

Just checked my area there. Near Ballyneety. Houses down the road from me had network build in progress for months too with June 2021-Aug 2021 and have now also changed to July - December 2022. Funny thing is there are signs all around that area saying broadband coming soon. Have they run into issues or just moved certain areas into second phase?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Donutz wrote: »

Look on the bright side. I'd kill for some bloody movement. Premises Pending bloody Survey until the end of time for me it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

joe123 wrote: »
    Look on the bright side. I'd kill for some bloody movement. Premises Pending bloody Survey until the end of time for me it seems.

That's fairly frustrating alright. The frustrating thing for me is that my address has already been through the surveying underway phase and went on to the network build in progress phase. Now it seems that we have gone back a step.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Spillanee

I'm the same, I'm down the road from you. Can't be long now (please)

I was the same but looking today it seems my dates have been updated to July-September when it was available to pre order yesterday. Not sure if it is only me? I’m located in oranmore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Spillanee wrote: »
    I was the same but looking today it seems my dates have been updated to July-September when it was available to pre order yesterday. Not sure if it is only me? I’m located in oranmore

Yep, I changed today as well to Jul sep. 😒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

I know there's a few Wexford peeps in here, I heard the NBI marketing campaign is going live on Monday apparently (although I reckon they forgot about the bank holiday and it'll probably be Tuesday and they've already been dropping leaflets around the place). There'll be some nice shiny new NBI signs dotted around the place.

Spillanee wrote: »

All Galway DA looks to have been pushed this morning.

Passage in Cork also pushed back to July - August.

Early signs definitely are not the best with NBI keeping to dates. I think the hope among many was they were under-promising - over-delivering but seems to be the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭andy.dunleavy

Vodafone NBI plans have gone live to order

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband/nbi.html

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Galway pushed back to July-September is a joke. I'd love to know what the reason for the delay is. Loads of cable still waiting to be blown underground between poles all over my area since February, while all of the DPs are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

TheSegal wrote: »
    Galway pushed back to July-September is a joke. I'd love to know what the reason for the delay is. Loads of cable still waiting to be blown underground between poles all over my area since February, while all of the DPs are up.
    In Rochestown/Passage in Cork the original date was December-March, it's now August. No reason given for delays either. All cables are up for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Not looking good for the rest of us. At this rate it will be 10 years instead of 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

On the other hand, we're still down as "survey planned", but evidence on the ground is that surveying is well underway around here. I think the reality is, as always, somewhere in between. I don't think the website is anywhere remotely in sync with reality though. I certainly wouldn't rely too heavily on it being updated often enough to be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

Either the Carlow Nationalist or Mr Lyng have a soft spot for Eir.
    Cllr John McDonald remarked that he had observed NBI in local areas lately and asked if people should contact them to secure the service.

Mr Lyng [Eoin Lyng, head of information systems at Carlow County Council] stated that NBI is currently in the building phase and once this is completed the internet service providers hand it over to Eir, who will begin selling the service in local areas.

https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2021/04/29/rural-broadband-for-county-carlow-gets-one-step-closer/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tedder

What really goes on that they're giving pre orders one day and totally reversed with a longer delay the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

I've seen a couple vans around lately but I'm still down as survey planned.
    I haven't seen actual surveys underway.
    But here is hoping any sort of date is given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

In Rochestown/Passage in Cork the original date was December-March, it's now August. No reason given for delays either. All cables are up for months.

The cables are only being put up around Passage and Monkstown (the town itself as castle farm, the demesne and further out the road along the waterfront have been up for a good while) at the moment. They put the cable through the ducting outside our house only on Monday and saw them in Carrigmahon on Tuesday and somehow we were supposed to done by March!

Still no DPs being put up in much of Passage/Monkstown either, haven't put up a new one outside our house, the cable is just tied to the pole. A poster put up a new map a few weeks ago and for some reason Passage, Monkstown town itself and some surrounding areas have been moved from Carrigaline to Cork-Mahon. Rathanker where I am has been cut in half so the road further south closest to Monkstown is part of the Carrigaline rollout, as is the part of the road further north closest to Rochestown but most of it is part of Cork-Mahon now, it makes no sense to me!

Cork-Mahon has the same rollout date as Carrigaline but there's no info about it on the rollout page at all, almost like it doesn't exist so I've no idea what areas are included or how many houses but I'd say that could be a reason why Carrigaline has slowed down if they want to do them concurrently as I believe they are both PoHs.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

The NBI rollout page has been updated with the changes already mentioned here with a few more included.

Cavan was Jan - May 21 is now Jan - Jun 21
    Carrigaline was Mar - Jun 21 now Jul - Aug 21
    Galway was Apr - Jun 21 now Jul - Sep 21
    Ballinasloe was Jun – August 21 now Aug - Sep 21
    Limerick was Jun - Aug 21 now Jul - Sep 21

A new proviso has been added also (emphasis mine):
    All dates provided are estimated based on our current view, but are likely to change in the future. For example, your premises may be re-assigned to another Deployment Area with a different rollout timescale. This Deployment Area reassignment can happen at any stage up until build is complete in the area. Other unforeseen changes outside the control of NBI can also impact the estimated date over the course of the rollout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I notice the wording on the page for our eircode has updated in the last day or two. It now says

"Premises Pending Survey
    Your premises is in the Intervention Area, and will be surveyed as part of the national fibre network rollout.

Surveying is required to produce a detailed network design for fibre broadband in your area. We will update you on a survey date in due course"

I don't remember what the wording was earlier in the week but it was something like Surveying has yet to begin in your area- the word yet sticking out in my head.... I don't know if this means progress has been made or if they've just changed the wording on results?

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    I notice the wording on the page for our eircode has updated in the last day or two. It now says

"Premises Pending Survey
    Your premises is in the Intervention Area, and will be surveyed as part of the national fibre network rollout.

Surveying is required to produce a detailed network design for fibre broadband in your area. We will update you on a survey date in due course"

I don't remember what the wording was earlier in the week but it was something like Surveying has yet to begin in your area- the word yet sticking out in my head.... I don't know if this means progress has been made or if they've just changed the wording on results?

Thats the welcome to fibre broadband in 2024/25 and beyond message. Not sure if wording has changed but thats the default step 1 messaging for us plebs.

Cork-Mahon has the same rollout date as Carrigaline but there's no info about it on the rollout page at all, almost like it doesn't exist so I've no idea what areas are included or how many houses but I'd say that could be a reason why Carrigaline has slowed down if they want to do them concurrently as I believe they are both PoHs.

If you take away the notified townlands of Grenagh, Templemartin, Carrigaline, Midleton and Fermoy you are left with a gap. See below.
    As the townlands data has proved significantly vague, I wouldn’t give this map much credit as being the actual boundary of Cork-Mahon.

552060.png
    (basemap - OpenSteetmap contributors)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Man the NBI website is confusing

When I enter my Eircode it says Jan to Dec 2023 but when I go to another area of website my town land is Aug to Oct 21????
    The last few weeks have seen A LOT of work outside my property

Men dug a hole outside my house to access cable asked one of the guys what was happening he said there was a fault in the cable where they were digging

Then few days later they ran an overhead cable down another lane that runs 90 degrees to our lane and joined to the top of a pole outside our home(There is no underground cable up the lane where this overhead one came down)
    Last week a guy came and nailed a galvanized trunking to the pole nearest us and when I said we must be near to installation he said..."a few months now....august/september I'd say"

How can the website be over 2 Years difference? Who do we believe?

I live along the L1143 at Stonetown

Steve F wrote: »
    Man the NBI website is confusing

How can the website be over 2 Years difference? Who do we believe?

I live along the L1143 at Stonetown

Stonetown Lower is in both the Carrickmacross and Dundalk Deployment areas (DA).

The Deployment Area boundaries do not necessarily follow the townland boundaries and the DA boundaries keep changing anyway. From the post above, it seems that premises near or on the DA boundaries won't know their fate until the last moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

clohamon wrote: »
    Stonetown Lower is in both the Carrickmacross and Dundalk Deployment areas (DA).

The Deployment Area boundaries do not necessarily follow the townland boundaries and the DA boundaries keep changing anyway. From the post above, it seems that premises near or on the DA boundaries won't know their fate until the last moment.

My gut feeling is the Aug-Oct time frame is the more realistic.
    The work suddenly being done around my location points to connection availablity being soon.....or am I just kidding myself Ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

coolisin wrote: »
    I've seen a couple vans around lately but I'm still down as survey planned.
    I haven't seen actual surveys underway.
    But here is hoping any sort of date is given.

Surveyed my area in November last year. Website shows survey pending. Absolutely no sign of anybody since. Dont have much confidence in their capabilities at present

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

In Roscommon DA. Still shown Aug-Oct 2021 with the new warnings. Received the NBI leaflet through the door on Saturday stating that Roscommon High Speed Broadband is on the way and that I would be able to order soon. Funny, no DP or sign of fibre been blown yet.

Advertisement