Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Velux and Planning

• 21-01-2020 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi,

This might be a dumb question, but the "boss" asked me to ask anyway!

We are looking to add 2 x velux windows to a standard semi-d. The attic is already converted with proper staircase access and flooring, though does not qualify as habitable space.

To have 2 x velux (front facing) installed we will require planning permission. I don't expect there would be an issue as other homes on the same street facing the same way have them installed (with PP).

What I'm wondering about is the extent that needs to be gone to to get the PP? Do we need full architectural drawings? Just concerned that we might be adding 1K or 2K onto a project that otherwise wouldn't be that expensive.

Is it possible to do up some amateur drawings? Or would that impact the chances of getting the PP?

Or are there other architectural issues that I'm not aware of that would require a full professional set of drawings to be done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Personally, if submitting such an application I submit elevation of your property, street elevation showing house or so each side which would hopefully show similar velux on nearby house.
    I would submit the most basic of floor plans with little detail just to show that the accommodation is on ground and first with storage at attic level. Others may have different opinion but there is such little time involved in doing those that it would be less hassle than answering a query later.
    Are you hoping to do the application yourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lobbylad

Yes, I was hoping to do it myself. I can obviously get copies of the drawings of other houses nearby, but they are low quality so I will have to draw up originals.

Actually, I forgot to mention (and now realise it may be important) a PP application was made for the house back before we bought it, in late 90s. For a rear extension (kitchen) and also garage conversion to living room. This was successsful and the works were done properly at the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

lobbylad wrote: »
    Yes, I was hoping to do it myself. I can obviously get copies of the drawings of other houses nearby, but they are low quality so I will have to draw up originals.

This is only half the battle.
    You have to draw the plans to scale and to the standards as set by the Dept. of Environ for Planning Applications.

So where i've seen people have a go at this, they always make a simple mistake with north points, measurements, scale etc

And you also need 6 copies of each drawing so drawing it once by hand, and then you have to get 6 scaled copies. If using CAD then its fine.

Then you have the wording of the form, site notice and newspaper notice.

You need a Site Layout showing the works.
    Floor plans.
    Elevations showing existing and proposed including your neighboring properties.
    Section through the new works.

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lobbylad

Dun Laoghaire

Yeah, I take your point. I was hoping my 1987 Leaving Cert Technical Drawing skills might eventually prove useful!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

lobbylad wrote: »
    Dun Laoghaire

Yeah, I take your point. I was hoping my 1987 Leaving Cert Technical Drawing skills might eventually prove useful!

Very possible.
    Its technically not hard to lodge a planning. Its just getting everything right first time round as if you make one mistake, then your newspaper is invalid and you have to start again including a new newspaper notice.

Marking of the maps etc
    Everything just has to be on point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement