Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE20 - Galway East

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In the Roscommon side of East Galway now but if I was in this constituency, Rabbite would have dropped down my ballot for using a garish light sign on the Loughrea bypass. I'm of the opinion there should be legislation brought in that they are only to be used for traffic information and not advertising or campaigning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

thanks Galway babe as an outsider but voting in Galway tis hard to know. I have been listening to GBFM and taking notes, but just wondering i cannot think of his name. Who is the candidate running who is the homeless chap.. Cant stand any of them to be honest but doing my research tonight to try and make a good choice

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

grbear wrote: »
    I noticed Rabbitte has posters up around Barnadearg and Abbeyknockmoy. Fine Gael are leaving that area clear for Pete Roche with no sign of Cannon anywhere which seems smart on their part.
    I doubt Killileas camp are happy with that carry on from their supposed partner.

I'd say Rabbitte wasn't too happy today Killileas lads were up this end knocking on dooers.

galwaybabe wrote: »
    It is several variants on a topic and it is very important to a lot of people where the candidates stand on this

I'd say most people couldn't care less where they stand on it, voters on a rural constituency have more pressing issues rather than something that has already been voted on and passed a few years ago.

SD and Greens are toxic in this area anyway they will get nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Milly33 wrote: »
    thanks Galway babe as an outsider but voting in Galway tis hard to know. I have been listening to GBFM and taking notes, but just wondering i cannot think of his name. Who is the candidate running who is the homeless chap.. Cant stand any of them to be honest but doing my research tonight to try and make a good choice

That guy is running for a far-right party and has a lot of fascist views. He takes part regularly in anti-immigration protests and is a dedicated follower of Gemma O'Doherty. Stay well away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

I'd say most people couldn't care less where they stand on it, voters on a rural constituency have more pressing issues rather than something that has already been voted on and passed a few years ago.

SD and Greens are toxic in this area anyway they will get nowhere.
    I've been out canvassing for the last few weeks and I can assure you that it has come up a lot on the door

But what is his name

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Milly33 wrote: »
    But what is his name

A homeless candidate?

Or a candidate that works with the homeless?

I'm not sure we have any that fall in either category.

the homeless candiate? There is one as he has been on the radio several times

thinking it was DEAGLAN MAC CANNA but can find much about him

• Advertisement

Just back there now from the polling station, high turnout they were saying despite the horrible weather this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

1. Canney (Ind)
    2. Rabbitte (FF)
    3. Cannon (FG)

Boring enough but fairly predictable.

easily the most boring and uninspiring constituency in the country , no big hitter TD

i predict no change here since 2016

as we were as they say

The only thing to watch out for really is to see how O Hara will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Looking like Canney is safe but Rabbitte and Cannon are less sure of their spot and might lose out to their running mate.

Be some fun if they have to go again next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

Looking like Canney is safe but Rabbitte and Cannon are less sure of their spot and might lose out to their running mate.

Cannon will regret aligning himself so close to Quinn and Mulligan the anti rail campaigners.

Surprised to hear that, I'd have thought those two were sure to get back in.

They probably still will but they'll be made to sweat for it. Cannon looks to be in a tighter spot right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

First Count is in

SEÁN CANNEY, IND 7,815
    LOUIS O'HARA, SF 7,108
    CIARAN CANNON, FG 6,298
    PETE ROCHE, FG 6,034
    ANNE RABBITTE, FF 5,762
    DONAGH MARK KILLILEA, FF 4,932
    EOIN MADDEN, GP 1,924
    PETER REID, SD 848
    MARIAN SPELMAN, LAB 845
    MARTIN 'JONESY' WARD, AON 582
    DAVID O'REILLY, IND 246
    DEAGLÁN MACCANNA, RN 126

O'REILLY and MACCANNA eliminated.

My prediction for the result.

SF,FF,FG

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Looks like as you were then.

O Hara did well, didn't see that happening.

• Advertisement

Looks impossible to call until Killilea is eliminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Looks impossible to call until Killilea is eliminated.

The majority of the Killilea vote went to Rabbitte as expected.

Roach the last one to go. Most will probably go to Cannon, Canney and O'Hara.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Stewball

Christ, I didn't think Anne Rabbitte could miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

And so the status quo remains the same for Galway East!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Sligo eye wrote: »
    Cannon will regret aligning himself so close to Quinn and Mulligan the anti rail campaigners.

Why? Surely Canney should be in trouble as he seems to be more concerned with his mates in Mayo than what people in East Galway want?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

More of the Killilea transfers went to SF than FG, yet when Roach went more went to FF than SF. FG voters fear SF more that FF voters fear then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

So on the balance, it’ll likely be a SF/ FF coalition. It will be very interesting to see how much of the vote SF will hold onto come the next general election. Like other parties have found out, actually being in government is difficult, and can be detrimental to them.
    Considering how poor they did in the local elections, this has been a massive result for them. Good luck to them, most people realise there is no quick fix to the issues in the country. It will be interesting to see how they handle health and housing over the next few years.

Advertisement