Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maghera EIT woes

• 21-01-2020 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Retuned our MythTV setup when the warning started showing in the EPG las week. No problem retuning and picture quality seems fine. However, the EPG is full of "No Data" holes, and vast chunks of time showing "viewer advisory" telling me of the need to retune. Different channels at different times and no pattern to be observed yet.
    Is anyone else having trouble off this transmtter?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Not that I noticed here ......... what are the 'data holes' you see?

Channel and time of examples to check would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gmac40

Hi,
    Think I,m of the Clermont/Greenore Tx.Picture quality is great but no EPG.Did contact Saorview and they wanted Post Code, Make and Model of TV and If Aerial was on roof/ attic???
    I did state Signal was strong and have re-tuned TV but still nothing.
    She did say to re-tune after 04/03/2020..so will do that.

Cheers

Gmac40 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Think I,m of the Clermont/Greenore Tx.Picture quality is great but no EPG.Did contact Saorview and they wanted Post Code, Make and Model of TV and If Aerial was on roof/ attic???
    I did state Signal was strong and have re-tuned TV but still nothing.
    She did say to re-tune after 04/03/2020..so will do that.

Cheers

The new frequencies are transmitting now ..... the old ones will cease transmitting after 4/3.

So....Is a new aerial needed then or a tweet to the existing one towards Greenore?

So....Is a new aerial needed then or a tweet to the existing one towards Greenore?

You have good picture quality so good reception => aerial is working fine.

You need to tune using the new frequency/frequencies at which time you should get full EPG again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭cmac

It seems to vary, but right this minute I'm showing "Viewer Advisory" for both RTE2(48) and RTE One+1(46). Looks like I'm picking it up just fine, and that the program description is being broadcast as "The transmitter frequency currently being used by your Television equipment will cease transmission on 3rd March 2020. To continue viewing Saorview please retune your Television before that date."
    Earlier tonight I had no data for RTE2 at least, but now I do.

Not that I noticed here ......... what are the 'data holes' you see?

Channel and time of examples to check would be useful.

cmac wrote: »
    It seems to vary, but right this minute I'm showing "Viewer Advisory" for both RTE2(48) and RTE One+1(46). Looks like I'm picking it up just fine, and that the program description is being broadcast as "The transmitter frequency currently being used by your Television equipment will cease transmission on 3rd March 2020. To continue viewing Saorview please retune your Television before that date."

If it is varying like that the only thing I could suggest is that you have both old and new frequencies tuned and sometimes get the data from the old one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,707 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It seems to vary, but right this minute I'm showing "Viewer Advisory" for both RTE2(48) and RTE One+1(46). Looks like I'm picking it up just fine,

Same for me - Dublin south city
    Why are they constantly changing the tuning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

fritzelly wrote: »
    Same for me - Dublin south city
    Why are they constantly changing the tuning?

They are not "constantly changing the tuning", rather we are in the middle of a simulcast period where two sets of frequencies of the two Saorview multiplexes are being broadcast in parallel. The reason for this is due to an EU & CEPT agreement to clear UHF TV broadcasting frequencies for additional 4G/5G mobile data spectrum - after the 4th March all Saorview transmissions on RF channels 49 & higher will cease.

You can tell if you're viewing a Saorview service that is tuned to a frequency that will be switched off on 4th March if it has a full stop on the end of it e.g. "RTÉ One." instead of "RTÉ One" - a new automatic channel scan should allow your receiver to store the new frequencies so that nothing goes blank on that date. However, as you give your location as the south of Dublin city, it's very likely that your best Saorview reception is coming from Three Rock mountain, which is not changing any frequencies and is remaining on RF channels 30 & 33.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I would agree with Johnboy1951 reply to your post, your setup appears to be installing both the old and new frequencies. A Saorview receiver will only store one set of frequencies. I'm wondering if there is some conflict with the data as you change channels between the old and new frequencies on your MythTV setup?

Is it possible to manually retune to the new frequencies, scan the new frequencies individually skipping the old frequencies. The new UHF channels for Greenore are 41 & 44.

• Advertisement

You have good picture quality so good reception => aerial is working fine.

You need to tune using the new frequency/frequencies at which time you should get full EPG again.

I have re-tuned several times but still no EPG...I only know how to Auto-Tune
    I do have the full stop after RTÉ 1.

So, a bit more investigation this afternoon.
    I have all available channels/stations tuned-in. As TAFKAlawhec pointed out (thanks) I can clearly identify the older services on channel 55 from the full stop. I can also confirm the channel in use for any service from the MythTV database and can confirm that I am clearly seeing/tuning the new channel 46.
    Right this minute the RTE2 EPG has a data hole in it from 21:01 until midnight. Then it is showing "Viewer Advisory" for the next 24 hours and 40 mnutes. This appears to be what is being transmitted. RTE2 is on channel 48. Polarization from the the Maghera transmitter remains unchanged according to Saorview.

So, a bit more investigation this afternoon.
    I have all available channels/stations tuned-in. As TAFKAlawhec pointed out (thanks) I can clearly identify the older services on channel 55 from the full stop. I can also confirm the channel in use for any service from the MythTV database and can confirm that I am clearly seeing/tuning the new channel 46.
    Right this minute the RTE2 EPG has a data hole in it from 21:01 until midnight. Then it is showing "Viewer Advisory" for the next 24 hours and 40 mnutes. This appears to be what is being transmitted. RTE2 is on channel 48. Polarization from the the Maghera transmitter remains unchanged according to Saorview.

Whatever problems remain are local to your set up.
    If you still have the old frequency specified somewhere then you need to delete it to prevent it being used .... maybe for EPG at times.

I had to edit the file on my tvheadend server to change the frequency because the original file did not have the changes.

Whatever problems remain are local to your set up.
    If you still have the old frequency specified somewhere then you need to delete it to prevent it being used .... maybe for EPG at times.

I had to edit the file on my tvheadend server to change the frequency because the original file did not have the changes.

Today without any re tuning Viewer Advisory has disappeared on some channels..EPG has re-instated...
    Then it re appeares again..
    As you can see from the pic all is restored again..Strange indeed
    Cheers

Today without any re tuning Viewer Advisory has disappeared on some channels..EPG has re-instated...
    Then it re appeares again..
    As you can see from the pic all is restored again..Strange indeed
    Cheers

Same answer as I suggested above
    If it is varying like that the only thing I could suggest is that you have both old and new frequencies tuned and sometimes get the data from the old one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The new frequencies are transmitting now ..... the old ones will cease transmitting after 4/3.

If they are broadcasting on both old and new frequencies, does this mean they have extra transmitters installed?

If they are broadcasting on both old and new frequencies, does this mean they have extra transmitters installed?

I have no idea what their hardware capabilities are, but I very much doubt they had to install anything new for this, as they would have spare capacity in case of failure.

By way of book-ending my own thread, I too have full EPG today from the Maghera transmitter on the new channel assignments. Testing at this end supports the hypothesis that the "No Data" and "Viewer Advisory" entries were being transmitted as the EIT for a given service. A fresh installation of OS/database and MythTV application were installed to eliminate any possibility of legacy data/entries and the problem persisted. Then, like Gmac40 reported, full program information has been transmitted. This appears to have been a localised Saorview issue and not a MythTV anomaly.
    Thanks for the input all.

Hi,
    Just an update on this.Had the Warning to Re-tune from Freeview(UK) the last week or two.Carried this out on TV and Humax Box and all is good.EPG is showing all programmes RTÉ, Virgin Media and Radio.
    Many Thanks for all the posts on this..
    Happy Viewing...Pity us up North still can,t enter competitions on RTÈ..buts that's another can if worms!!
    Cheers

Advertisement