Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE20: What important policies/topics are being ignored by all parties?

Options
  • 21-01-2020 8:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

GE20: What important policies/topics are being ignored by all parties thus far?

2 for me would be;

1. Child Obesity - A major problem which will lead to increased strain on our creaking health system.

2. Getting the Roman Catholic Church out of our Education system - Long overdue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Immigration - it's a political hot potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

No. 1 is good, yes.

No. 2, please note that many parents want church owned schools.

People don't want their children to go to VEC ETB schools, in some cases.

In other places, ETB schools are good.

My own dream is a Jesuit education for my offspring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The long term unsustainably of our social welfare and state pension systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Public transport.

Luas, DART, and commuter trains are bursting at the seams.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Dissolution of the Citizens Assembly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

The badly needed and totally overdue underground rail projects for Dublin: Metro (since 2003) and DARTunderground (since 1973). The city really is approaching being paralyzed in terms of traffic movement without them. The Luas is at capacity and can't be increased. Same for DART and Commuter rail. 'New Carriages' are useless without new lines to get projected capacity increases needed NOW.

If there was a Gombeen Conspiracy to kill Dublin as a city then all the parties ignoring underground rail system is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Justin10

Public transport is a massive issue, Dublin is about to burst with capacity.

If something serious isn't going to be done, then we'll have major issues down the tracks.

The Metro is a long term project but something drastic needs to be done in the meantime.

Train Parkways to me are a great idea, but I've always felt they need to be express trains, get people into the city as quick as possible, and then on to the luas or metro.

For example the navan Road park way.. What is the point of that, very little parking, which isn't free, and you're nearly as well off driving or getting a bus in the first place.

If I was living out in the boarder counties, an express Parkway would make sense and also relieve some of pressure on the housing market, for example, you can get a train from Thurles to Heuston in just over an hour, similar time it take to get from lucan to the city centre on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Public transport, FF have promised to go back to the drawing board on Bus Connects and Metrolink, meaning they won’t be built for another 15 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Public transport is a massive issue, Dublin is about to burst with capacity.

If something serious isn't going to be done, then we'll have major issues down the tracks.

The Metro is a long term project but something drastic needs to be done in the meantime.

Train Parkways to me are a great idea, but I've always felt they need to be express trains, get people into the city as quick as possible, and then on to the luas or metro.

For example the navan Road park way.. What is the point of that, very little parking, which isn't free, and you're nearly as well off driving or getting a bus in the first place.

If I was living out in the boarder counties, an express Parkway would make sense and also relieve some of pressure on the housing market, for example, you can get a train from Thurles to Heuston in just over an hour, similar time it take to get from lucan to the city centre on the bus.

There is no more capacity left on the lines into Dublin. In typical Irish style we are now being slapped in the face with decades of governments listening to the likes of Colm McCarthy saying 'buses are enough' and 'rail is a vanity project'.

You can build all the new train park and rides you want, but they are useless if the trains are already packed and there are no extra paths for new trains anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Justin10

MrAbyss wrote: »
    There is no more capacity left on the lines into Dublin. In typical Irish style we are now being slapped in the face with decades of governments listening to the likes of Colm McCarthy saying 'buses are enough' and 'rail is a vanity project'.

You can build all the new train park and rides you want, but they are useless if the trains are already packed and there are no extra paths for new trains anyway.

That's exactly my point, trains are just not working, we need to expand our train network, for such a small island its massively under developed.

Anyway, I think we can all agree in the capital, public transport is being ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Public transport, education and legalisation of cannabis.

Also thank God the Catholic church have control of the majority of our schools op.

The state of some of those educate together and VEC schools.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

ricero wrote: »
    Public transport, education and legalisation of cannabis.

Also thank God the Catholic church have control of the majority of our schools op.

The state of some of those educate together and VEC schools.

First FF are being forgiven and now the Catholic Church are the best organisation to look after our schoolchildren and fill them with their negative nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

First FF are being forgiven and now the Catholic Church are the best organisation to look after our schoolchildren and fill them with their negative nonsense.

At home the catholic secondaries in the local county town have always been the "respectable" ones.

The local VEC tech that I attended is today in serious trouble as people take the bus past it to go to school elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Social welfare. Too many people jobseeking for decades,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

At home the catholic secondaries in the local county town have always been the "respectable" ones.

The local VEC tech that I attended is today in serious trouble as people take the bus past it to go to school elsewhere.

The market is speaking.

Some left-wing parties want the State to own all schools.

Parents vote with their feet, and avoid the VEC / ETB schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The long term sustainability of our social welfare and state pension systems.
    That's not for election time. It equals no votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

MrAbyss wrote: »

Frequency can be greatly increased , along with DART-ification. There is loads of potential capacity

piplip87 wrote: »
    Social welfare. Too many people jobseeking for decades,

How many? And for how long? And evidence of this ? Jobseekers is cut off after a while. Do you mean other social protections?

Rochey18 wrote: »

That something is walking and cycling. https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1218104865852985344

KungPao wrote: »
    Immigration - it's a political hot potato.

https://www.theburkean.ie/articles/2019/12/05/the-policy-of-mass-immigration-is-incompatible-with-sustainable-housing

Immigration/housing crisis are linked. It's not individual migrants fault. Policy is screwed up though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Public transport infrastructure (or lack thereof) is one of the biggest reasons driving the problems with housing. Land to build houses within reasonable commuting times of where people work is scarce. Proper public transport infrastructure would make living a bit further out a lot more viable for people and increase demand, which would mean we'd see increased development of housing in these areas. It'd also ease the demand for housing clorer into town and city centres.

The problem is that this is long-term planning, that wouldn't improve the immediate 5 years ahead. Anyone trying to deliver on this will be attacked by NIMBYism (as seen with Bus Connects, Dublin Metro, etc), and when the next election rolls around the project won't have finished so there won't be results for the politicians to point to during the campaign.

Lack of forward thinking over the past 20 years is a large part of the current housing issues - we'll keep finding ourselves back in the same problems if we don't plan for 10-15 years ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭ghost of ireland past

The housing crisis is huge and is obviously aggravated by huge immigration. The fact that it's difficult to speak about these things is a very poor reflection on the Irish.

Cannabis legalisation, and also consider GHB and MDMA and a few others.

Removal of corrupt police officers from the Garda and an end to political interference with the operation of the DPP.

Universal Basic Income paid to citizens only.

We should join China's Belt and Road and get early mover advantage. China is the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

In that case what needs to be done is to create walkable villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭rob316

More support and services for disabled and special needs children. I'm hearing not a word from anyone on that.
    As a parent to a special needs child, the services are an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Public transport. It's shockingly bad in Ireland. I don't understand how they were opening new motorways and bypasses all the time during the previous boom and still are but were unable to lay any new tracks for rail, apart from a few km for the Luas.
    Public transport projects are long term projects, and I don't think this is what wins votes in Ireland. A fiver on the scratch or pension or promise of a bypass seems to be a winner here. I suppose we get what we vote for, but the options are terrible.

I suppose we get what we vote for, but the options are terrible.

PBP, Greens and SocDems are strong on PT. Surely one of these would be less terrible for you than FF/FG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

PBP, Greens and SocDems are strong on PT. Surely one of these would be less terrible for you than FF/FG

They all won’t upset the Apple cart. “We support better public transport “ bs! Do you plan on doing what it takes , steooimg on some of your electorates toes to achieve it ? Nah , didn’t think so

In that case what needs to be done is to create walkable villages.

And how hard and costly would it be to retrospectively do it to existing cities and towns? Would it even be wise with electric cars here already?

Would it not be better to put limits on migration since our population is stable without it. Otherwise all infrastructure projects will be a never ending game of catch up. In the case of walkable cities we just end up in smaller and smaller homes as the population increases. Might be bearable for some but think ahead for your kids or grandkids generation.

Is it worth turning Ireland into some lesser version of Hong Kong in a couple of generations?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    They all won’t upset the Apple cart. “We support better public transport “ bs! Do you plan on doing what it takes , steooimg on some of your electorates toes to achieve it ? Nah , didn’t think so

We know for sure FF/FG won't do what it takes. Why not give someone new a chance to disappoint us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

Public transport. It's shockingly bad in Ireland. I don't understand how they were opening new motorways and bypasses all the time during the previous boom and still are but were unable to lay any new tracks for rail, apart from a few km for the Luas.
    Public transport projects are long term projects, and I don't think this is what wins votes in Ireland. A fiver on the scratch or pension or promise of a bypass seems to be a winner here. I suppose we get what we vote for, but the options are terrible.

Not to mention all the nimbyism from anyone who gets slightly inconvenienced while the works happen.

Advertisement