Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotlights in the sky

Options
  • 21-01-2020 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

I'm probably out walking at night more than most people (dog insists on his walk!). It's in the countryside, far away from light pollution...

Anyways recently I've been occassionally seeing strange lights in the sky. I didn't think much of it because it looked like spotlights & could be coming from any terrestrial source (even though no obvious one). However it's happened 4 times now & always in different parts of the sky.

Night before last I saw it almost directly overhead. Although quite brief there was no discernible source, certainly not from the ground. It looked like the source was airborne but no planes in the sky. Something like this:

https://youtu.be/VP5ZnQMEiK0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I seen on New years after 12 2 red lights flashing in the sky about 12 feet apart but not moving...

We thought it was weird as they were close but with the dark sky couldn't see anything else.

It would be like a plane but it was too close, no sound and not moving.

It stayed there for about 5 minutes....

Quite possible someone got a probing

That's someone that has some light features or advertising a business.

Use to see nightclub at this in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I seen on New years after 12 2 red lights flashing in the sky about 12 feet apart but not moving...

We thought it was weird as they were close but with the dark sky couldn't see anything else.

It would be like a plane but it was too close, no sound and not moving.

It stayed there for about 5 minutes....

Quite possible someone got a probing

isnt that the issue with eye witness testimony? you say they are twelve feet apart. I assume you think that based on how far away you think they are. But people in general are terrible at judging distances when they have nothing to reference against. the light could just as easily been 200 feet apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

pburns wrote: »
    I'm probably out walking at night more than most people (dog insists on his walk!). It's in the countryside, far away from light pollution...

Anyways recently I've been occassionally seeing strange lights in the sky. I didn't think much of it because it looked like spotlights & could be coming from any terrestrial source (even though no obvious one). However it's happened 4 times now & always in different parts of the sky.

Night before last I saw it almost directly overhead. Although quite brief there was no discernible source, certainly not from the ground. It looked like the source was airborne but no planes in the sky. Something like this:

https://youtu.be/VP5ZnQMEiK0

Video: The 4 lights seem to repeat the same movement, coming together and then doing a circle again rinse and repeat. Suggests something mundane, not doing something different in every turn.. 
     I have no clue  really what the source for the lights, but it could be something shining up from the ground?

isnt that the issue with eye witness testimony? you say they are twelve feet apart. I assume you think that based on how far away you think they are. But people in general are terrible at judging distances when they have nothing to reference against. the light could just as easily been 200 feet apart.

Oh 100% just it seemed so close.

Was just trying to paint the picture we saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its outdoor event lighting.

Like this. Been around for 60 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Saw strange lights a few years ago but freaked out till I copped it was seagulls reflecting light back down. Didn't realise they flew that late at night

Advertisement