Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laminate floor underlay. Cheap option or expensive option

• 21-01-2020 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

We’re putting new laminate floor in the office. Have picked the laminate but need the underlay. Does the more expensive laminate make a significant difference or will the less expensive options do the same.

Anyone suggest where to get the underlay?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Hi

If the area in question is going to have a lot of "traffic", then go for the heavier duty thicker laminate. The cheaper, thinner stuff will not keep its appearance long. Perhaps also consider using laminate that's rated for kitchens and bathrooms as its water resistant, but not water proof.

In relation to the underlay, I've found that the cheap white foam stuff is next to useless, particulalrly in heavy traffic areas as it rapidly gets compressed. I use wood fibre underlay from B and Q thats 5mm thick and doesn't compress. I know this as I've replaced wooden floors after ten years and the underlay was still in good condition. It deadens footfall on the laminate and also acts as an insulator on concrete floors (but use heavy duty polythene sheets under it as a damp proof barrier).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭raxy

We used the cheap stuff. Downstairs on concrete the floors are fine but upstairs the laminate bounces as you walk on it. It's also very noisy downstairs when people walk around upstairs.
    Carpenter putting it in said just go with the cheap stuff.
    I don't know what the difference would be if we got a better underlay though. Next time I'll pay the extra though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

raxy wrote: »
    We used the cheap stuff. Downstairs on concrete the floors are fine but upstairs the laminate bounces as you walk on it. It's also very noisy downstairs when people walk around upstairs.
    Carpenter putting it in said just go with the cheap stuff.
    I don't know what the difference would be if we got a better underlay though. Next time I'll pay the extra though.

Difference is that it deadens the sound of my five kids aka the herd of elephants running around upstairs!!!!:D

Advertisement