Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replace T90SR with Novel SR

• 21-01-2020 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

So I have a T90SR and we use it alot. Was thinking of swapping to Novel. At the moment the current supply is direct from the water tank above. SO I was thinking of leaving this pipe and then try to run a hot water connection off the immersion. Then chase the wall down on the other side, drill through and feed the water pipe in.

Does that make sense? do I need to consider anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Does that make sense? do I need to consider anything else?

You will need a registered Electrical Contractor. The electrical setup isn't suitable nor safe as it is for a power shower. It's set up for a 9kw shower running back to a 40 amp rcbo. This won't give you enough protection for a power shower.

An electric shower is handy to have. Would you consider installing the Triton Novel as a 2nd shower on a different wall? On a stud partition a good tradesman should be able get both pipes & cable inside the stud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You will need a registered Electrical Contractor. The electrical setup isn't suitable nor safe as it is for a power shower. It's set up for a 9kw shower running back to a 40 amp rcbo. This won't give you enough protection for a power shower.

An electric shower is handy to have. Would you consider installing the Triton Novel as a 2nd shower on a different wall? On a stud partition a good tradesman should be able get both pipes & cable inside the stud

At the moment it is hooked up to a priority switch so yes would need to change. I think I read it is a 3amp on the other end?

Both walls are block so putting onto another wall wouldnt really work

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    At the moment it is hooked up to a priority switch so yes would need to change. I think I read it is a 3amp on the other end?

Both walls are block so putting onto another wall wouldnt really work

No. It requires a 3 amp spur but this is to protect the shower & no you. Your 40 amp RCBO needs to be reduced in size as it's no longer a 9KW shower. I would replace the cable going from the pull cord switch too as it's way oversized. The very most you will fit into the terminal at the shower is one strand of the cable. You will defiantly need a REC for the electrical work. They will advise you what needs to be done.

With a priority switch you either have an EV or another electric shower. If you have another shower then this one might be an easier one to replace.

No. It requires a 3 amp spur but this is to protect the shower & no you. Your 40 amp RCBO needs to be reduced in size as it's no longer a 9KW shower. I would replace the cable going from the pull cord switch too as it's way oversized. The very most you will fit into the terminal at the shower is one strand of the cable. You will defiantly need a REC for the electrical work. They will advise you what needs to be done.

With a priority switch you either have an EV or another electric shower. If you have another shower then this one might be an easier one to replace.

I have both EV and another shower. So 2 x T90's. One SR and one XR or something.

I want to replace the one I use daily. I also have a XT2000 in another bathroom and it is brill so that's why I am looking at it.

I would have electrician to do.

Both showers are in rooms with block walls and tiles on one side. So I figured best to replace the one with th emost use......

Ok pulling this back up, as I might move the current T90sr to replace the T90xr which has gone bang

The current T90sr is feed direct from tank in attic for cold water, I guess this is ok and I just need bed connection from hot water?

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Ok pulling this back up, as I might move the current T90sr to replace the T90xr which has gone bang

Great idea.
    Shefwedfan wrote:
    The current T90sr is feed direct from tank in attic for cold water, I guess this is ok and I just need bed connection from hot water?

You need to bring in a dedicated hot supply taken directly from the cylinder or the pipe coming of the cylinder. If you take the hot from the wrong part of the hot pipe then it can suck in air, void the warranty and damage the shower. It shows in the instructions acceptable ways to tap into the hot supply.

As stated previously a 3 amp spur is required to protect the shower and the 40 amp RCBO will need to be replaced to protect anyone in the shower. I think you will need a 32 amp RCBO but your electrician will confirm for you

Great idea.

You need to bring in a dedicated hot supply taken directly from the cylinder or the pipe coming of the cylinder. If you take the hot from the wrong part of the hot pipe then it can suck in air, void the warranty and damage the shower. It shows in the instructions acceptable ways to tap into the hot supply.

As stated previously a 3 amp spur is required to protect the shower and the 40 amp RCBO will need to be replaced to protect anyone in the shower. I think you will need a 32 amp RCBO but your electrician will confirm for you

Sparks is booked for another job so just coming up with this plan, two 9kW shower in house is heavy on electricity

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Sparks is booked for another job so just coming up with this plan, two 9kW shower in house is heavy on electricity

Unless you have solar then then power shower will be much more expensive to run than the electric showers. A 5 or 10 minute shower in an electric shower costs less than a 5 or 10 minute shower with water heated by gas or oil. The power shower gives a more enjoyable showering experience but its more expensive than the electric. Electric shower is A energy rated

Unless you have solar then then power shower will be much more expensive to run than the electric showers. A 5 or 10 minute shower in an electric shower costs less than a 5 or 10 minute shower with water heated by gas or oil. The power shower gives a more enjoyable showering experience but its more expensive than the electric. Electric shower is A energy rated

Have solar pv but not connected to hot water, misses next job she wants is solar thermal so that’s why I have in head

The immersion at the moment is on 24 x 7 anyway as she likes hot water all the time

Shefwedfan wrote:
    The immersion at the moment is on 24 x 7 anyway as she likes hot water all the time

If you have a full tank of hot water then it costs almost nothing to keep it hot assuming your cylinder is insulted. If you use half a tank of hot water in a 10 minute power shower then you have to pay to heat the half tank again. This will work out more expensive than having a 10 minute electric shower.

I only point it out because you said that the electric shower is so expensive. If money isn't an issue then the triton novel SR is the way to go. Power shower is more expensive to run but it's a nicer experience. We have both in our house & the electric shower rarely gets used except for rinsing off the dogs after a run in the muddy park.

• Advertisement
Advertisement