Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penalty points, when to notify insurance?

• 21-01-2020 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭

I got stopped for speeding and rang insurance company the next day. They said to ring them back when I get the letter confirming the points. I got the letter with the fine today and paid it in the post office. Do I get another letter telling me the points have been applied and when do I ring the insurance? Now when I have paid the fine and accepted the points or when I get the next letter (if I get another) to tell me the points have been applied? This is the first time in 19 years of driving this has happened to me so I don't know the procedure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

usually get a letter from RSA i think ,
    letting you know you what points you got ,
    you also get one when they are removed ( in 3 years i think )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Went through this situation last year, my wife got penalty points about a month before her renewal. The date the points applied from (stated in the confirmation letter) was a couple of weeks after the renewal date, the insurance co (Liberty in this case) was only interested in being notified at the next renewal after the points were applied i.e. it didn't affect the renewal quote, but will next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Anjobe wrote: »
    Went through this situation last year, my wife got penalty points about a month before her renewal. The date the points applied from (stated in the confirmation letter) was a couple of weeks after the renewal date, the insurance co (Liberty in this case) was only interested in being notified at the next renewal after the points were applied i.e. it didn't affect the renewal quote, but will next year.

Hopefully, you have that in writing so that they cannot say at next renewal that you failed to disclose at this renewal :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Hopefully, you have that in writing so that they cannot say at next renewal that you failed to disclose at this renewal :rolleyes:

Well I'm sure he'll have the notification letter dated after the insurance renewal date, so that's technically in writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Some insurers need to be advised immediately when points are applied. It will be in your policy document

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement