Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National express service (Cork to London)

Options
  • 22-01-2020 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Was wondering if anyone has ever used this service in recent years and if so how was it and why did you use this over a flight ??

Back in the day coach-ferry- coach to London was possibly the only option for most folks heading to London but nowadays is it a relic if the past?

Surprised to see the coaches still running ? Had anyone used it recently and was it full/ empty ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I had no idea it still existed! But at 17 hours, I think I'd rather just pay extra for a flight...

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

I had no idea it still existed! But at 17 hours, I think I'd rather just pay extra for a flight...

Totally agree 15-17hours of a journey, IF I ever did take the journey and it would be a big IF then it would be just for the experience!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Totally agree 15-17hours of a journey, IF I ever did take the journey and it would be a big IF then it would be just for the experience!!
    I too it in the bad old days. Not much of a experience. Sea, North Wales, motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I've only ever known one person to have taken it, as they had to get back from England the next day due to a death in the family.

I think their options were a €300 flight or a €30 bus that arrived in Cork around midday.

Was there a longer version as well from Bus Eireann/Eurolines?

One that went Cork - Dublin - Belfast - Glasgow - Edinburgh - Manchester - Birmingham - London?

I'd actually love to do it.

They've really taken the fun out of flying. If you weren't in a huge rush to get there it could be fun.

• Advertisement

I like taking trains where possible, even sleepers (did Prague to Zurich a few years ago). But a coach? Nah...

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I have used it back in the day. It's not fun.
    The relative price difference between flights and the coach is less now, even for short notice bookings.
    If I wanted a lower-CO2 journey than a flight, I'd prefer the train and ferry via Holyhead and Dublin to the coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭agoodusername

My father used it when he didn't have a valid passport, but then again he's the type who wouldn't be bothered by this type of journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I used the Eurolines a few times a couple of years ago puely because I had a load of luggage during a move and didn't have access to a car.

It's functional but not pretty and to be honest the whole journey can be made or ruined by whoever sits next to you :rolleyes:

There's no rest stop between Cork and the ferry, you're then disembarked from the coach and onto the boat. There is a stop the other side between the ferry and London for about 20 minutes.

Not much legroom on the coach and can be quite cold, but its cheap, you can take as much luggage as you can carry and its functional.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I took it in 90s, you'd want to able to sleep easily. Fairly awful experience all things considered. The lad driving did boot it on though. Stopped in Bristol station in middle of night to drop someone off and into Victoria at a dreadful early hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Interesting that this thread started recently, today Bus Eireann have announced the end of the National Express/ Bus Eireann route 890.

The last service will depart Cork on the 6 Feb and depart London on the 7th Feb.

So anyone who wants to try it had better do it ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They've really taken the fun out of flying. If you weren't in a huge rush to get there it could be fun.

Stuck in a bus seat for hours on end is a odd notion of fun. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

kub wrote: »
    Interesting that this thread started recently, today Bus Eireann have announced the end of the National Express/ Bus Eireann route 890.

The last service will depart Cork on the 6 Feb and depart London on the 7th Feb.

So anyone who wants to try it had better do it ASAP.

Wow what a coincidence that I started a thread about it and within a week it is announced that the service will cease!

I am amazed that it has lasted so long since budget flights are the most sensible way to travel between Ireland and London nevermind the quickest.

Love to know what were the passenger figures for recent years...would it even had ten or more per trip??

Was it daily ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

We did it once. It was just so dreadfully long, with late night rest stops and a few noisy passengers. Very hard to get any kind of sleep.

Glad I at least tried it once. But it definitely wouldn't be for most people. An adventure all the same. But I'd definitely just pay extra for a flight, or even something like Sail and Rail?

Edit: sad to hear it ending. It was indeed a daily service. Anyone know why it's ending?

We did it once. It was just so dreadfully long, with late night rest stops and a few noisy passengers. Very hard to get any kind of sleep.

Glad I at least tried it once. But it definitely wouldn't be for most people. An adventure all the same. But I'd definitely just pay extra for a flight, or even something like Sail and Rail?

Edit: sad to hear it ending. It was indeed a daily service. Anyone know why it's ending?

Apparently it is National Express who are pulling the plug.
    Eventhough passenger numbers at the start and end of the route, ie Cork City did seem low, as the coach travelled towards Rosslare it did fill up.
    Also the service used to pick up passengers in London and they would get off in Wales etc.
    I wonder will Bus Eireann take it up again or will Kavanaghs who have been operating it as contractors for the last few years.
    If there is money to be made then surely someone will see an opportunity

I suppose there is still a market for such a bus for those who do not or cannot fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Wasn't there a similar Slattery's service?

Wasn't there a similar Slattery's service?

There was indeed, as a matter of fact it was they that started that route way back in the late 1970's after the B+I Line pulled out of Cork
    CIE then in the 80's started their Supabus service in competition to Slatterys.
    Slatterys had a great network set up serving all cities in the Republic and going on ferries via Dublin and Rosslare.
    They used to stop on St Patrick's Quay, where the coach stops are now located.
    They subsequently sold the business to Bus Eireann back in the early 90's, no doubt with the advent of cheaper air travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I wouldn't agree with you. I recently took a bus to Dublin and back (that didn't have a toilet on board) and it wasn't fun. By the sounds of things that (now cancelled) route would be similar - just a long boring journey with short rest stops. And whatever about the journey out when you've something to look forward to, the journey home always seems like an ordeal.

You can do similar journeys to England for premiership games that work out cheap enough. I just can't imagine that long a journey being worth it. I'd much rather pay extra for a flight and enjoy having a much shorter journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

It's not fun in the slightest. Did it from London to Dublin once.

• Advertisement
Advertisement