Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Comments

Do you believe the Chinese Communist Party?

Even the "stats" they have they have fiddled now because they, alone, have decided the criteria. We all know the figures are total bs and it is far worse than we are told.

And with good reason for them.

Why the rest of the world should buy it is beyond me.

We don't even need to use to use Chinese numbers. That poster's made up stat was debunked a page later but no one seems to care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is there a preppers thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Doomsday scenarios only please, I've almost climaxed

Do you believe the Chinese Communist Party?

Even the "stats" they have they have fiddled now because they, alone, have decided the criteria. We all know the figures are total bs and it is far worse than we are told.

And with good reason for them.

Why the rest of the world should buy it is beyond me.

and this is why:
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-aviation/chinas-aviation-regulator-hopes-countries-will-lift-virus-related-travel-curbs-soon-idUSKBN2060B8
    China’s aviation regulator said on Wednesday that it hopes countries will lift virus-related travel restrictions as soon as possible, in line with guidance from the World Health Organization and International Civil Aviation Organization.

The Civil Aviation Administration of China will continue to lobby authorities to subsidize airlines hurt by travel curbs due to the coronavirus, Xiong Jie, a CAAC official, told a media briefing.

China wants to get trade and travel going again.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Doomsday scenarios only please, I've almost climaxed

I'm dreaming of squashing people in the jcb who dare come near the farm, gonna make sure all the diesel tanks are full, have a fresh water source and a slaughter room where I'm going to hold up for a few months. This is going to turn brutal once we start running out of water and food, we couldn't even survive a few days of snow without bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

We should get something like this going...

NOTE: Deleted & Reposted when new info available
    ... COLLATED INFO 'AS-IS' ONLY ....

DATA: Suspect & Delayed, Media/Govt lying.

INFECTION:
    - Airborne particles (0.13 microns) travels up to HUNDREDS of yards
    - Ends up on floors (shoes) and ALL surfaces
    - Personal contact
    - Touching/LOOTING any item contaminated
    - May be found on common surfaces/recycled protective equipment
    - Foods (low temp cooking)
    - POOR HYGIENE/Lack of vigilance

ABSORPTION:
    - Mucus zones (EYES, MOUTH, EARS, NOSE, LUNGS, DIGESTIVE TRACT)
    - Open wounds (via blood)
    - Under-sterilized / unprepared surgeries

SYMPTOMS:
    - 0 to 28 days until symptoms appear
    - Cough
    - Fever & Fatigue
    - Nausea & Vomiting (urge to vomit)
    - Diarrhea & Stomach discomfort (squirts and pain)
    - Pneumonia (flem/dry cough, chest pain, fever, trouble breathing)
    - Rhinorrhea (nasal cavity is filled with mucus fluid)
    - Sudden (apparent) Heart Attack

CONTAGIOUS:
    - 0 to death (this could mean areas are contaminated up to 60 days PER person!)
    - Up to 28 days later
    - Evaporation of infected body waste
    - Decomposing bodies
    - Lasts min 5 days on surfaces (airborne?), up to 28 days+

PROTECTION:
    - Sunlight helps to kill it!
    - Alcohol wipes are not 100%
    - MOST masks only filter down to 0.3 microns (virus is 0.12)
    - Disposable masks become useless quick due to humid breath
    - Sodium HypoChlorate (Pool Chlorine) or Bleach (0.5% with water) used to decontaminate surfaces/air
    - Standard "MEDICAL GRADE" gloves are NOT 100%
    - Full body suits (coveralls, 2/3x gloves, shoe covers, sealed eyewear/full face shield, respirator (canister type), TAPE over joints/seals)
    - AVOID ALL public spaces/facilities
    - Bleach spray, leave 1 hour
    - Detox hands regularly
    - Detox between public / private areas.
    - U.V. Light kills virus (uncertain duration)
    - Blood pH Increasers (eg strong Lemon Drinks)
    - Glycyrrhizin (licorice root) reduces replication
    - Zinc (tablets)
    - 65C/150F for 15+ minutes kills virus

TREATMENT?
    - Vitamin C (ascorbic acid/antioxidant fights cytokine surge)
    - O2 Therapy
    - Protein Pump inhibitors (reduce replication)
    - NOT Aspirin (deceases Vitamin C)
    - Meds "protein pump inhibitors" / reduce Histamine OVER-production
    - Pepcid, Tagamet, Adix or Zantac (Ranitidine Hydrochloride 2-4 wks supply PP)
    - Prilosec, Operazole, Prevacid or Nexium (Famotidine 2-4 wks supply PP)

SURVIVAL:
    - 90 days of food/water/hygiene PP min (prep QUIETLY before empty shelves)
    - Hardened residence (windows, doors, roof, yard, CCTV, tripwire alerts, lookouts)
    - Armed occupants (Looters WILL try to kill you for food/water/protection)
    - Decontamination room for goods received
    - Isolation room for infected (fit Ultra-Violet lighting, spray surfaces with diluted bleach)
    - PPE Personal Protective Equipment to remove dead/protect from virus
    - Decont'n area between home and public
    - Multi-vit & sleep/stay awake tabs
    - Water filt & Boil gear/energy
    - Flashlight/recharger
    - NVG
    - Don't trust govt/media

If you know more info, add it in a reply!

The WHO have urged the world to "wake up". Most people seem to think this virus is just a reason to send stupid memes on WhatsApp. I highly doubt it will be as funny when they are getting phone calls from loved ones who are dying and they are unabe to visit them due to the nature of actions taken to ensure it doesn't spread.

More airtime yesterday devoted to some drunk lad shouting up the RA in the wee hours of the morning than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Ireland has banned state agency staff from returning home from China.

I would doubt that to be the case. The Irish government or state agencies can't ban Irish citizens from entering their own country.

If I had stage-5 black death,my limbs were falling off and I presented to the immigration desk at Dublin airport they couldn't refuse me.

What they are probably doing is requesting that they fulfill their duties from their homes remotely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yurt! wrote: »
    I would doubt that to be the case. The Irish government or state agencies can't ban Irish citizens from entering their own country.

If I had stage-5 black death,my limbs were falling off and I presented to the immigration desk at Dublin airport they couldn't refuse me.

What they are probably doing is requesting that they fulfill their duties from their homes remotely.

They are not allowed to return to Ireland.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/state-agencies-ban-irish-staff-in-china-from-coming-home-38949359.html

I have been saying for weeks on here that the CCP is full of sh!t about this whole thing, that countries around the world know it and are sharing intelligence.

The hospitals the Chinese built in record time when most people are being put in to what are effectively concentration camps from which they won't come out. They are not going to those new hospitals.

All publicity stunts to detract from an incredibly serious crisis.

My only hope is China asks for international assistance - it's difficult for them because they believe they are a power in the world - but I have no faith in them at all to handle this nor should anyone else.

Let's hope they ask for assistance because this can't be contained in the way they hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Should we be worried about this? As someone who uses public transport in Dublin for the best part of 2.5 hours a day, how concerned should I be?

I hate to come across as one of those ignorant "someone tell me how this impacts me" posters but I guess that's exactly what I am as I've completely ignored this developing story for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

INFECTION:
    - Personal contact

ABSORPTION:

SYMPTOMS:
    - Cough
    - Fever & Fatigue

CONTAGIOUS:
    - Up to 28 days later
    - Decomposing bodies

PROTECTION:
    - Sodium HypoChlorate (Pool Chlorine) or Bleach (0.5% with water) used to decontaminate surfaces/air
    - Full body suits (coveralls, 2/3x gloves, shoe covers, sealed eyewear/full face shield, respirator (canister type), TAPE over joints/seals)
    - Detox hands regularly
    - Zinc (tablets)

TREATMENT?
    - O2 Therapy

SURVIVAL:
    - Hardened residence (windows, doors, roof, yard, CCTV, tripwire alerts, lookouts)
    - Isolation room for infected (fit Ultra-Violet lighting, spray surfaces with diluted bleach)
    - Flashlight/recharger
    - NVG
    - Don't trust govt/media

Lemon juice is acidic.

Turmeric and ginger to fight cytokine surge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

tuxy wrote: »
    174 positive, 4 critical.
    And dealing with a group that are much older than the average age of the general population.

Your forgetting symptoms are mild for a week to 9 days.
    On the 4th Feb only 10 cases showing symptoms in the ship.
    Now there are 174 showing symptoms..
    But they should all be mild for the first week.

Now of the original 10, 4 need hospitalisation.
    People keep forgetting the time lag.
    It's what makes the resolved cases by deaths stats so horrifying.
    And hopefully incorrect. Hopefully there are MILLIONs sitting at home infected but mild. But we don't know. They could just as easily be dying at home.
    Nobody knows.

Poor people on the ship. Sitting ducks. And the chef cooking for everyone? Why are meals not coming from outside the ship?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Should we be worried about this? As someone who uses public transport in Dublin for the best part of 2.5 hours a day, how concerned should I be?

I hate to come across as one of those ignorant "someone tell me how this impacts me" posters but I guess that's exactly what I am as I've completely ignored this developing story for the most part.

None of us knows.
    Keep an eye on the news and practice good hygiene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

BanditLuke wrote: »

How many times, it's NOT a flu virus. It's viral pneumonia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

2 prisoners, a GP and an a and e worker in the UK.. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51470342. All confirmed positive. No putting this one back in the box now. Don't expect an ICU bed here! https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/expert-intensive-care-units-lack-resources-to-cope-with-coronavirus-epidemic-981203.html

We all need to get the basics right. Hand washing being No1. Also, start to consciously practice NOT touching your face when out in public. Perhaps a good exercise would be to log how many times you do touch your face when sitting at your desk or looking at your phone. I know I’ve touched my face 5 times whilst typing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Going by the amount of selfish ignorant arseholes on the DART coughing/sneezing without any effort to cover themselves over the past week I think we have every reason to be concerned if this thing lands in this city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,347 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

busymum1 wrote: »
    2 prisoners, a GP and an a and e worker in the UK.. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51470342. All confirmed positive. No putting this one back in the box now. Don't expect an ICU bed here! https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/expert-intensive-care-units-lack-resources-to-cope-with-coronavirus-epidemic-981203.html

Thanks for the link. I'm going to quote the intro for that Examiner article given its relevance to Ireland...
    Intensive care units in public acute hospitals lack the resources to cope with a coronavirus epidemic, a medical expert has warned.
    “You can cope with sporadic cases but if there is a large number we will struggle to cope and probably won't,” said Dr Rory Dwyer, clinical lead of the Irish National Intensive Care Unit Audit.
    “But there is no doubt that if we had a major epidemic we'd lack the resources to cope with that.

Ireland has 5.2 ICU beds per 100,000 population, Britain has 7.2 and the European average is 11.5.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

There's probably 3/4 of those ICU beds full as it is, let alone the lack of ventilation devices. We're completely screwed if this thing lands here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I got some 3m 8833 masks (at less than half the price on this link right now, gouging bastards)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0012RQJD2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_TA7qEbY21DSCG

They are way too small for me; the bottom sits on top of my chin. They cover my 2 year old's eyes. They fit my wife pretty well though. So they are the mama bear size in the blergh house.

I already have a couple of jsp flexinet ones that fit me pretty well, but are too large for my wife.

Might be useful to share knowledge on sizes if people are looking to buy masks. They aren't cheap or in great demand, and they are pretty useless if they don't fit properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

They are not allowed to return to Ireland.

I wouldn't put much credence in that article. Sounds like a repurposed rumour he heard in a pub last night when half-cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Now that the election is over there should be cross party focus on this.

They should put their squabbling on the line for 6 months at least.

There's probably 3/4 of those ICU beds full as it is, let alone the lack of ventilation devices. We're completely screwed if this thing lands here.

Unfortunately this stage I think it's 'when' not 'if'..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,714 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Good time to get fit, and sort out any lifestyle issues that would compromise your immune system

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

the goal is to last until the summer before an outbreak I think, in the hope that the health care system will have lower volumes and the virus spreads less easily in the summer(but I dont think there is evidence of this)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Now that the election is over there should be cross party focus on this.

They should put their squabbling on the line for 6 months at least.
    God CC, you're optimistic. Precious few Irish governments of any side in our history could stop squabbling for any useful length of time and even fewer could organise a piss up in a brewery. And then we have the disaster that is the HSE at the organisational level. I have little faith in their abilities should this plague hit us here. And it's starting to feel like a plague too. As the weeks go on visible and contained situations like the ocean liner will tell us what is actually the likely trajectory of this illness. I strongly suspect what the Chinese gov have been telling us may turn out to be as accurate as a newspaper horoscope.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

BanditLuke wrote: »

From that link

Re name change from coronavirus to Covid19
    WHO officials added that they have gone to great lengths to ensure the name did not refer to a geographical location, animal or group of people.

Or a brand of beer ...

I've got a pole chainsaw with an extra boom. So basically a chainsaw on the end of a very long pole. I think that is the most thematic weapon to use in defending our home. Classic zombie killing weapon adapted to deal with infectious enemies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

givyjoe wrote: »
    Very true and its no joke pneumonia believe me.
    I had it before...lost about 3 stone by the end of it, fluid on both lungs horrendous

• Advertisement

the goal is to last until the summer before an outbreak I think, in the hope that the health care system will have lower volumes and the virus spreads less easily in the summer(but I dont think there is evidence of this)

Still spreading away in Singapore and it's hot there now ( 28-29 degrees C) https://www.bbc.com/weather/1880252. Some studies suggest hot and dry might be better but it's patchy at best. So I don't know that our Summer weather is going to help with the spread. It seems to be a very hardy virus. Fingers crossed for a quick vaccine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

At this time it may not be a cause for concern but if I were you I would get a scarf and a pair of gloves and spray them with disinfectant regularly. Don't touch surfaces or make contact with others.

I now someone is going to say that the virus can travel through a scarf etc. but it would stop droplets etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

silverharp wrote: »
    Good time to get fit, and sort out any lifestyle issues that would compromise your immune system
    The kicker being a fatal cytokine storm is more likely to hit people with strong immune systems.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Brace everybody, you are gonna get a hint of my true levels of madness :)
    I present to you, one of my heroines, Susun Weed, in a scrappy and eh slurpy home video about herbal help against viruses and specifically corona
    Scoff all yiz want, but I have used herbs for decades to excellent effect. She advises to eat sauerkraut, plants from cabbage family, plants from mustard family like turnips, elderberry tincture, echinecea angustifolia tincture, poke root and boneset. So here is my home witch Susun...

https://youtu.be/e_DsjZcVnBQ

Ahem. Back to normal transmission.

INFECTION:
    - Personal contact

ABSORPTION:

SYMPTOMS:
    - Cough
    - Fever & Fatigue

CONTAGIOUS:
    - Up to 28 days later
    - Decomposing bodies

PROTECTION:
    - Detox hands regularly
    - Zinc (tablets)

TREATMENT?
    - O2 Therapy

SURVIVAL:
    - Flashlight/recharger
    - NVG
    - Don't trust govt/media

would you give the source of that please? Or sources for the info in the treatment section?

Could someone explain what cytokine surge means? In plain, talking to a class of 10 year olds, language?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Could someone explain what cytokine surge means? In plain, talking to a class of 10 year olds, language?

The body's immune response gets too ramped up and causes damage.

saabsaab wrote: »
    At this time it may not be a cause for concern but if I were you I would get a scarf and a pair of gloves and spray them with disinfectant regularly. Don't touch surfaces or make contact with others.

I now someone is going to say that the virus can travel through a scarf etc. but it would stop droplets etc.

I’d consider wearing a scarf. It will at least slow down the droplets, wouldn’t it? Providing you spray it/wash it daily.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The body's immune response gets too ramped up and causes damage.

And is there any way to slow the natural response down to a level where it’s still fighting a virus but not not over exerting itself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

silverharp wrote: »

Wonder would the very poor air quality in China have made them more susceptible to serious infection than hopefully us in Europe

And is there any way to slow the natural response down to a level where it’s still fighting a virus but not not over exerting itself?
    the vitamin c suggestion appears to be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

This thread is a farce. The person who posted their made up death rate of 19% earlier should be banned from the thread, would be arrested in China, and would be fined in Vietnam, and for good reason.

That person linked the source of data, you can do the math yourself

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Also ginger and turmeric appear to be good.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Woooooooosh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

ardinn wrote: »
    Oxygen seems to be the problem.

Im pretty sure you could treat this fully at home if oxygen was available, I have looked into getting it, but its restricted. About 1-2litres per min seems like the norm, but 5 for ncov has been recorded.

This will be what kills people in developed countries, the lack of oxygen facilities.

It's the single most important part of the probelm, If I was in government i would be making sure we have huge supplies and its available on delivery to homes, you can monitor your blood oxygen fairly accurately with a blood pressure monitor. 3 days and you should be good to go again.

However dificult this would be to implement, its what should be happening if the government are serious about treating it. It would take a huge strain from the hospitals.

Would something like this help?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076GZK36X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Qg8qEbP3386T5

• Advertisement

would you give the source of that please? Or sources for the info in the treatment section?

Just pulled it from one of the posts in the gab coronavirus group
    https://gab.com/groups/4077

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Gynoid wrote: »
    Brace everybody, you are gonna get a hint of my true levels of madness :)
    I present to you, one of my heroines, Susun Weed, in a scrappy and eh slurpy home video about herbal help against viruses and specifically corona
    Scoff all yiz want, but I have used herbs for decades to excellent effect. She advises to eat sauerkraut, plants from cabbage family, plants from mustard family like turnips, elderberry tincture, echinecea angustifolia tincture, poke root and boneset. So here is my home witch Susun...

https://youtu.be/e_DsjZcVnBQ

Ahem. Back to normal transmission.

Took one look and can already tell she's a lunatic

Also ginger and turmeric appear to be good.

I think it’s time I took the shopping list of supplies seriously now. I have fresh ginger, fresh lemons and I have turmeric in powdered form. Would preserving the ginger and lemons compromise their nutritional value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Would drinking hot tea be any defence? Or like the film 'Grabbers' whiskey?

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    That person linked the source of data, you can do the math yourself

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    Aye, but the reall scary problem si we simply don't know yet. What concerns me is less the deaths but the estimated 45000 infected cases(which could be a very low number recorded), but only a tenth measured as recovered(again could be a very low number recorded too). I wonder what the pattern of those ratios would be if this were a seasonal flu we were in the middle of?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement